Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep School tuition and Financial Aid

Anon
anon
Fact Check

If a school recruits 100% of their team - and some of the top schools do, with rosters set on April 10th - it's actually a disadvantage if you can't qualify for aid.

How is it a disadvantage to be rich?

Anon
Anon

If a school recruits 100% of their team - and some of the top schools do, with rosters set on April 10th - it's actually a disadvantage if you can't qualify for aid.

How is it a disadvantage to be rich?
I already explained. It's a zero sum game, not unlimited roster spots. A coach is not going to admit that a FP is "better" than someone he went to Admissions and got $25,000 of aid for, that he couldn't live without (well, that he needed for the team to be competitive).

Take a look at the benches at the top ISL schools. Way more players than are needed. Recruited kids getting limited minutes.

$25,000 of financial aid is on the low end for the kid they "Must Have". If you look at the avg aid package at most schools for the general student or student /athlete is typically more then that.

Don't get me wrong, going to elite academic/athletic school at almost half off is nothing to sneeze at. Just saying, I know parents who have there kids ( not game changers) going for $15k or less because they truly cannot afford more.

Anon
$25,000 of financial aid is on the low end for the kid they "Must Have". If you look at the avg aid package at most schools for the general student or student /athlete is typically more then that.

Don't get me wrong, going to elite academic/athletic school at almost half off is nothing to sneeze at. Just saying, I know parents who have there kids ( not game changers) going for $15k or less because they truly cannot afford more.
I just picked a number. I'll assume your definition of "truly can't afford more" is on the level. Most people live way beyond their means, leaving little for savings and true "luxury items" like prep school tuition. I don't feel a compulsion to subsidize a kid whose parents drive cars less than three years old, $300 cell phone bills and $200 cable bills.

Anon
Anon

Well, I'll assume your definition of "truly can't afford more" is on the level. Most people live way beyond their means, leaving little for savings and true "luxury items" like prep school tuition. I don't feel a compulsion to subsidize a kid whose parents drive cars less than three years old, $300 cell phone bills and $200 cable bills.

The people I am talking about are working class people. Good, hard working people. I am sure the admissions people were able to gauge them long before SSS determined what aid they qualified for. Plenty of these kids are playing at Prep schools and most of them are not future D1 players.

A couple of Preps used the top priced CC schools as a benchmark when they put the numbers out.

anon
A couple of Preps used the top priced CC schools as a benchmark when they put the numbers out.

What are most willing to pay? Obviously, for many it really does come down to what you can afford, but what are the comparitives?

$15K, $20K, $40K. If it is PA, PEA, Milton, Groton where the education/experience can lead to so much more or Cushing, New Hampton, Tilton, AOF where I am sure the education/experience is good but not nearly as much as the aforementioned and some of the others.

USPHL U18 is getting stronger. Probably because of the dangling carrot (NCDC). Will this influence the Preps with aid packages? Stay at a very good public or private day school and play U18. The better public schools are in predominately more affluent communities. These families have a different formula then many others and many already have the stickers on their cars from their other kids.

U18 ( $10k +/-) + Public High School or CC ( $15k +/-) or Prep ?

For those of you who have gone through the process, what was your backup plan? Kid gets accepted, not enough aid..what is the backup plan, public school and FS club team, Catholic HS?

My son is in Isl upper mid class we pay 10,000.

Anon

Day student or Boarder ?

Board

Anon
There's your proof that the schools are cheating.

A buddy of mine had a truly elite payer that is in the NHL now. He made upward of $250,000 a year. Kid got a couple of grand, and that was only because he had a daughter in college. That school played it straight.

Compare that to this poster that is getting $35K - $40K as "upper mid class."