Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question on High School, Prep vs. U18AAA levels

So the questions I would be asking is, who gives you the best exposure to college coaches.

Prep
U18AAA
High School

Prep- Good hockey, pack house, most of the time solid coaching and academically getting ready for college.
U18AAA- New England crap hockey, Midwest Strong hockey, no fans better players playing in Junior Leagues
High School- Coaching stinks, pack house, low end hockey, better players playing in Prep, U18AAA, Juniors

Hope this helps.

Remember play where you can make the most impact: No reason to sit on the bench.

Good Luck!

In general I would agree with the previous post. But it really depends on where your kid is going to school. In this area, Prep is the highest level in most cases. However, there are some mediocre to poor prep programs so do your homework there. As far as catholics/public HS, truly matters which school you are talking about. MC, SJP, BCH, AP, PF, Hingham, Reading and teams like that are usually WAY better than any U-18 teams in this area. Again, do your homework. Go watch some games.

Old Time Hockey
In general I would agree with the previous post. But it really depends on where your kid is going to school. In this area, Prep is the highest level in most cases. However, there are some mediocre to poor prep programs so do your homework there. As far as catholics/public HS, truly matters which school you are talking about. MC, SJP, BCH, AP, PF, Hingham, Reading and teams like that are usually WAY better than any U-18 teams in this area. Again, do your homework. Go watch some games.
If you look at the better u18 teams in the area you will see they were competitive with some of the Tier1 and nationally ranked teams. Once you start talking top 10 in the country only Selects Academy really competes. Keep in mind most of the top 99 and very elite are playing tier 1 or 2junior's

Not sure wihat this guys smoking but top u18 teams better than any cc or good D1 school program around

Anon
Not sure wihat this guys smoking but top u18 teams better than any cc or good D1 school program around
IMHO, Good U18 is comparable to mid ranked preps and slightly better then CC. Not as good as top 10-15 Preps.

Old Time Hockey
The two local T1EHL teams both have winning records this year against the best U18 teams in the country. The best teams in that league would absolutely SMOKE any MIAA team. Games against BA and NHM would be more competitive, but a Super 8 contending MIAA team would still fall short.

You'd have to watch a season of games to understand. Mistakes in that league end up in the back of the net. And it isn't so much that there aren't individual players in top MIAA teams that could compete. They just are't being pushed. They could join these teams and be good players, but in a single game they would have trouble adjusting.

The T1EHL teams all also go 18 skaters deep, every game. MIAA teams don't have that kind of depth.

I'd say top 10 Prep and top 10 T1EHL would be pretty close games. The weakness of top 10 Prep is probably the younger players that are getting significant ice time. But then the top 10 teams probably have fewer of them.

The weakness of the T1EHL teams is that their best players are one open roster spot away from switching over to the U for the rest of the season.

The local T1EHL teams are probably not as good as the Top 10 Prep teams. There, they would be the ones that would be competitive but fall short.

As far as scouting goes. T1EHL and top Prep are probably equal. The Showcase format is HUGE plus for T1EHL as scouts can see 200 players in a weekend. The holiday tournaments like Flood Marr offer that same opportunity, but there are fewer of them.

The Preps have a HUGE advantage of location. Most of the scouting in T1EHL is done by the U, while most of the scouting done at Prep games is by colleges. Then again, if your kid gets to the U, he's going to be seen by colleges there.

BTW, I just read the Prep season preview in NEHJ. It looked to me like the top Preps are recruiting more kids away from other Preps than in the past. That centralization of talent could hurt the Prep game in a couple of years.

"I'd say top 10 Prep and top 10 T1EHL would be pretty close games." You are crazy. A top U-16 T1EHL team would smoke almost every prep team and give the top few a game....and that includes their 19 year old repeaters.

So how is it a handful of prep kids end-up in the USHL and about a third of every T1 team ends up there?

Prep hockey isn't all that.

anon
"I'd say top 10 Prep and top 10 T1EHL would be pretty close games." You are crazy. A top U-16 T1EHL team would smoke almost every prep team and give the top few a game....and that includes their 19 year old repeaters.

So how is it a handful of prep kids end-up in the USHL and about a third of every T1 team ends up there?

Prep hockey isn't all that.
Sorry, I disagree. My kid played in the league as a U16. The talent is absolutely there, but you're still talking about 16 year olds playing against 15 - 20 year olds. The prep game is much "heavier" than T1EHL, which is more about speed and skill.

Anon
anon
\"I\'d say top 10 Prep and top 10 T1EHL would be pretty close games.\" You are crazy. A top U-16 T1EHL team would smoke almost every prep team and give the top few a game....and that includes their 19 year old repeaters.

Prep hockey isn\'t all that.
Sorry, I disagree. My kid played in the league as a U16. The talent is absolutely there, but you're still talking about 16 year olds playing against 15 - 20 year olds. The prep game is much "heavier" than T1EHL, which is more about speed and skill.
Most U15 and U16 stars come to prep never having played anyone older than them and struggle to do much at all. Many, especially if on an older team, see much less ice than they expected and aren't on special teams. If you haven't played against older kids before you get to prep it will be an eye-opener.