Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Great BC High Hockey tweet -

anon
anon
anon
Anon
I completely disagree that its not on the coaches to do this, maybe not at your neighborhood D3 program but most certainly at a school like BC High and other CC schools where the parents are shelling out a ton of money. The fact that BCH (as well as others) has not been offering this type of program in the past is most certainly a factor (maybe the main factor) that many of their best players have left and continue to leave prior to graduation. BTW, Flash is an employee of the school-Assoc. Director of Admissions.
I respect your opinion, but that has not been my experience, in talking with parents over the years, at any level of HS. Wanting it to be, or thinking it should be, doesn\\\\\\\'t make it true.

Even Prep coaches, with hundreds of thousands of financial aid dollars within their span of influence, do not take an active role in the placement of their kids. That is up to the kids\\\\\\\' parents. The school college counselors will help on the academic side. Some coaches/assistant coaches will be happy to drop a dime to help a kid get a contact at a school, but that\\\\\\\'s about it.

That\\\\\\\'s why the players need advisors.
Thanks coach, I mean advisor in your spare time.
Man, if my brain functioned like yours, finding negativity and seeing conspiracies behind everything, I would disable my air bag, unbuckle my seat belt, and drive into a cement highway barrier.
Not the prior poster, but as long as this forum remains anonymous, you would be wise not to completely trust the advice given on here. Not that it can't be helpful, but a healthy dose of skepticism is certainly warranted. I will agree with you, however, that the poster could have kept his skepticism to himself.

A bit of a difference from what I saw a couple years ago here in Reading. A Souhshore team came in and was playing Reading. A couple guys from a respected junior program came in to see some of the players and the opposing team's assistant coach was yelling at the junior scouts from across the ice "GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE! STAY AWAY FROM MY PLAYERS!!!" Talk about not getting it. Assistant coach should have been fired right there.

anon
A bit of a difference from what I saw a couple years ago here in Reading. A Souhshore team came in and was playing Reading. A couple guys from a respected junior program came in to see some of the players and the opposing team's assistant coach was yelling at the junior scouts from across the ice "GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE! STAY AWAY FROM MY PLAYERS!!!" Talk about not getting it. Assistant coach should have been fired right there.
Do you understand that the junior programs are trying to take the high school players from those teams right. They are competing for the same pool of players. Junior scouts from the USHL arent going to Reading or south shore team games. Other than those teams the rest of the junior teams are just trying to find players to pay their salaries. Sorry but thats the truth.

Also - having College coaches come to BCH is a real stretch. You would be better suited to have prep coaches come into BCH and say if you excel here the next step is prep hockey.

Everyone knew the scouts were there for the big senior defensemen. Maybe the best defensemen in high school hockey at the time. And to see the assistant coach get named something like 'Assitant Coach of the Decade' made me laugh. Guy has taken too many pucks to the head.

Next step is either junior or prep hockey, not just prep.

I beleive it....too many pucks to the head!

The Hingham coaches are **** clowns. They would rather have a kid's skill diminish playing JV as a Freshman vs. a good full season club team. Morons hurting their own talent pool.

anon
anon
Do you understand that the junior programs are trying to take the high school players from those teams right. They are competing for the same pool of players. Junior scouts from the USHL arent going to Reading or south shore team games. Other than those teams the rest of the junior teams are just trying to find players to pay their salaries. Sorry but thats the truth.

Also - having College coaches come to BCH is a real stretch. You would be better suited to have prep coaches come into BCH and say if you excel here the next step is prep hockey.
This is so right on!

Then don’t fall for it. Play where a kid develops vs with the high school heros

Unless the kid's goal isn't to play college hockey. Stay at the high school (unless the team is terrible or the coaches are jerks) and enjoy. Develop if the goal is to keep going!

You just described 95% if HS’s

Anon
BC High Hockey‏
@BCH_HOCKEY
Dec 3

"Great experience this weekend hearing from college coaches about recruitment process, admissions standards, college hockey at the various levels and what it takes to get there. Exposing the boys to all their options."

So, does your high school coach bring in college coaches to open a dialog? What teams do this? I'd say 99.9% of them don't!

First, kudo's to the whomever brought them in, coach, AD, parent, I don't care, great job. IMO, it's not the coach's job to set up a seminar like this, that responsibility should fall to the AD's, they are the full time employees. In addition to education on the recruitment process, etc. for hockey (because it is truly unique amongst college sports), they should be holding seminars for all athletes on social media and it's role in the recruitment process, it can be pretty eye opening for teens.

Anon
Anon
BC High Hockey‏
@BCH_HOCKEY
Dec 3

\"Great experience this weekend hearing from college coaches about recruitment process, admissions standards, college hockey at the various levels and what it takes to get there. Exposing the boys to all their options.\"

So, does your high school coach bring in college coaches to open a dialog? What teams do this? I\'d say 99.9% of them don\'t!

First, kudo's to the whomever brought them in, coach, AD, parent, I don't care, great job. IMO, it's not the coach's job to set up a seminar like this, that responsibility should fall to the AD's, they are the full time employees. In addition to education on the recruitment process, etc. for hockey (because it is truly unique amongst college sports), they should be holding seminars for all athletes on social media and it's role in the recruitment process, it can be pretty eye opening for teens.
Why are you assuming they were brought in? Could have been a seminar at a tournament.

My kid attended a seminar with the USHL put together by the league during the Playoffs in MN. Team played no role. Coach's role was to tell players it was mandatory.

anon
Anon
Anon
BC High Hockey‏
@BCH_HOCKEY
Dec 3

\\\"Great experience this weekend hearing from college coaches about recruitment process, admissions standards, college hockey at the various levels and what it takes to get there. Exposing the boys to all their options.\\\"

So, does your high school coach bring in college coaches to open a dialog? What teams do this? I\\\'d say 99.9% of them don\\\'t!

First, kudo\'s to the whomever brought them in, coach, AD, parent, I don\'t care, great job. IMO, it\'s not the coach\'s job to set up a seminar like this, that responsibility should fall to the AD\'s, they are the full time employees. In addition to education on the recruitment process, etc. for hockey (because it is truly unique amongst college sports), they should be holding seminars for all athletes on social media and it\'s role in the recruitment process, it can be pretty eye opening for teens.
Why are you assuming they were brought in? Could have been a seminar at a tournament.

My kid attended a seminar with the USHL put together by the league during the Playoffs in MN. Team played no role. Coach's role was to tell players it was mandatory.
good point, although no scrimmage was posted.

we had a local D1 (women's) coach watch our practice then chat with the team. Never seen them hang on every word for the 30 odd minutes he spoke. Even discussed what turns them off.

"Junior scouts from the USHL arent going to Reading or south shore team games."

They do when there is a kid or two they're interested in or as a favor to someone. I remember one high school game I was at and there were 3-4 USHL guys there to see the kid of a hockey east assistant coach. The kid kind of blew but they were there.