Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mobile D-men on display at holiday showcases

J.C. has always had a little chubby for the 'skate all over the ice, 4th forward, irresponsible in your own end defensemen' as I truly believe he has no idea how a real defensemen is suppose to play.

A few years back I came out to watch a d-man play and the kid was a stay-at-home defender, big, great skater, never got beat - really a stand-out... and I asked J.C. if he had seen the kid before. He watched the kid for a couple shifts and noted "he's a pretty good transitional skater" and that was it. Then he compiles notes after notes on a couple kids who were actually (by most coaches estimations) misplayed forwards who were attempting to play defense. Bad pivots, losing site of pucks, rushing the puck, getting caught deep in their own zone, blowing any kind of coverage in front of the net...and he LOVED it.

So take his write-ups with a grain of salt.

Scout
J.C. has always had a little chubby for the 'skate all over the ice, 4th forward, irresponsible in your own end defensemen' as I truly believe he has no idea how a real defensemen is suppose to play.

A few years back I came out to watch a d-man play and the kid was a stay-at-home defender, big, great skater, never got beat - really a stand-out... and I asked J.C. if he had seen the kid before. He watched the kid for a couple shifts and noted "he's a pretty good transitional skater" and that was it. Then he compiles notes after notes on a couple kids who were actually (by most coaches estimations) misplayed forwards who were attempting to play defense. Bad pivots, losing site of pucks, rushing the puck, getting caught deep in their own zone, blowing any kind of coverage in front of the net...and he LOVED it.

So take his write-ups with a grain of salt.
Sadly, his writeups are reflective of the common sentiment the past 5+ years. I tell my kid that maintaining perfect gap control 25 times gets less notice than one goal or one knockdown at the blue line. The mobile but undersized D Man that JC wrote about being the top NE Prep prospect going into the 2018 draft may do well in D1 but will have a hard time at the pro level. And they aren't drafting him to be a good college player.

They mentioned in the B's telecast last night that Krug got benched for the final 5 minutes, plus the OT. He was horrid last night, more so than usual. He is painful to watch, and doesn't bring enough offensively to justify his defensive shortcomings. He's about to be passed by Grzelcyk, who gets less premium ice but is +12 in 18 games vs. Krug's -7 in 32. Grzelcyk's small, too, but so far from what I've seen a better defender. Both belong on the 3rd pairing with take-your-pick McQuaid/Miller, plus PP. Having Krug on the 2nd pairing exposes him. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Krug traded (plus assets) for a true 2nd pairing D man.

The tide will shift to the bigger, offensive D men that are entering the league now.

You are 100% on all accounts. The only exception might be - " ...the top NE Prep prospect going into the 2018 draft may do well in D1" might not be accurate. Even at the D-1 level you see these guys exposed and they remain such a liability defensively you wonder if it's worth it. Look at the undersized kid from the south shore playing D at BC. He basically is Tory Krug at the college level. Roll him out for the P.P. and then put him on the shelf. Terrible, terrible defender - always has been. I talked to a USHL coach about him a few years ago and my comment was 'when will a coach have the guts to move this kid up front?' Heck, he's a good enough skater he might even slot in as a second or third centerman and the coach just rolled his eyes.

1000% right on Krug. He often looks like a bantam player out there throwing the puck, beatdown in the corners and in front of the net, turnover machine, no reach at the blue line. I have to laugh when the announcers say "A BLAST FROM KRUG FROM THE POINT!" What? A 85mph muffin from the point would make a high school kid blush. To me Grzelcyk has passed him by a mile already. Wait a month or so and Krug should be moved before he ends-up riding the bench which would hurt his trade value....oh hold on, it's the Bruins front office - that's exactly what they will do. Sit him for 4-6 weeks and then try to get a third rounder for him and pick-up part of his contract to boot.

anon
Mobile D-men on display at holiday showcases
By Jeff Cox
i
Boston Bruins fans have witnessed firsthand this season the importance of an elite, mobile defenseman who can move pucks north.

Charlie McAvoy, a former Boston University standout and a 2016 B’s first-round pick, has exploded onto the scene and made an immediate impact for the Bruins with his skating ability and stick skills.

Gone are the days that defensemen need to be big. Now, NHL organizations are looking for blueliners who can retrieve pucks, break pucks out, transition quickly from defense to offense, and activate as the fourth forward.

NHL scouts attending the various holiday tournaments across New England were treated to several defensemen who fit that very description.

i
Kimball Union Academy, the defending Elite 8 tournament champion, won the Flood-Marr Tournament thanks to two very strong pairings on the back end. The leader of that group is Northeastern commit Jordan Harris, who likely will be the first defenseman from prep hockey selected in this June’s NHL Entry Draft.

Harris’s elite skating ability allows KUA to have the puck in its possession the majority of the time when he’s on the ice. He also can defend with his feet and by recovering to get on the right side of the puck.

In addition to Harris, KUA’s first pairing on the blue line includes Holy Cross commit Bryce Dolan, the team’s captain. Dolan, a fierce competitor, skates well and plays with a chip on his shoulder.

The second pairing has two newcomers, Christian Felton and Devan Newhook. Both are uncommitted, but don’t expect Felton to remain on the open market for long. Ranked by NHL Central Scouting, the Medina, Ohio, native is a terrific skater who likes to join the rush. Several college programs are watching him closely.

"Our depth," said Harris of what makes his team so dangerous. "We can match up against anyone. We play well together as a team."

KUA wasn’t the only team at the Flood-Marr to have an impact defenseman. Salisbury, which tied KUA in the round-robin portion but lost the tiebreaker, has another potential 2018 NHL draft pick in Peter Diliberatore. The Quinnipiac commit is putting up a point per game. His feet are very good, allowing him to have a lethal shot from the point.

Captain Nick Hale, a Holy Cross commit, and Luke Krys both bring necessary skill-sets to the table. Hale is undersized, but he keeps things simple and moves the puck up ice. Krys lacks an offensive touch, but he has good size, retrieves pucks and is mobile.

Westminster has been one of the pleasant surprises of the first month of the season, in large part due to the terrific play of Malik Alishlalov. The Russian import is a UConn commit who is eligible for the 2019 NHL draft. He’s a terrific skater, plays physical and likes to join the rush.

A few miles away, Rivers captured the St. Sebastian’s Tournament with an overtime victory over the host school in the championship game. The Red Wings allowed just four goals over the three games.

"We have really good ‘D.’ They can all really skate. Our game plan is to move it up as quick as we can and get the ‘D’ up into the play," said Rivers coach Shawn McEachern, a BU alum and former NHL star.

The headliners on the Rivers blue line are BU recruit Cade Webber, who is one of the top 2001-born defensemen in the country, and Brown recruit Tony Andreozzi. However, McEachern doesn’t hesitate to put out any of his defenders in any situation.

"Everyone brings something to the table. The guys really stepped up," said McEachern, who made a point to also mention John Corrigan, Pat Lawn, Ryan Rahbany and Tommy Benjes.

Rivers lost to KUA in the Elite 8 championship game last March, and despite a bevy of offseason departures, seems primed to contend again. The Red Wings don’t have the name recognition of some other top teams in the region, but they play well as a unit.

"We just worry about our team. We have 24 guys who enjoy playing together. They support each other. They work extremely hard. The game plan is to not get outworked. It says a lot about the character of our team," McEachern said.
Just remember...odds are much better that your bender will be swilling bud light in the lockerrooms in Marlboro than having a career in hockey. Been there.....

By 'you've been there' do you mean swilling bud light in the lockerrooms in Marlboro?

Anon
Just remember...odds are much better that your bender will be swilling bud light in the lockerrooms in Marlboro than having a career in hockey. Been there.....
Jesus, I think people with kids playing HS or Prep hockey understand their son's future possibilities pretty well by now. Take your Land of Delusion stuff to the Kiddie Board.