Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New England Prep Schools

Lots of good choices but start with a few questions
What are your sons test scores.
Is he a 90% or a 20%?
Is he a stud or just a good player?
Does location matter at all? Boston area, CT, western MA, NH....
Is aid the deciding factor?
Does he play other sports or have other interests?

Generally, Prep Schools don't "develop" players. Season is too short, multiple games a week. It certainly isn't their focus.

The one exception I can think of is Select Academy at South Kent School. But, pretty hard to make that roster.

Anon
Generally, Prep Schools don't "develop" players. Season is too short, multiple games a week. It certainly isn't their focus.

The one exception I can think of is Select Academy at South Kent School. But, pretty hard to make that roster.
Agree 100%. If your thinking Prep for Hockey, your player has to put in a lot of time during the off-season to get better, skills are important but B-F-S...Bigger, Faster, Stronger is the name of the game at the prep level, really focus on that off ice program focusing on single leg lifts and overall core strength. My sons prep coach gives them an intense program to follow and they have to send him video's of them doing it..the difference in 2 years has been drastic, from a smaller, quick freshman to a heavier, faster, stronger JR has been fun to watch..and expensive!

Our youngest is making the jump to prep next year and repeating 9th. He tried public (couldn't afford 2 kids at prep) but our school is MA D-3 hockey and D-9 academics(thats a joke). Will it suck for me and mom, yes, lots of canned soup in our future, but it will be worth it to him. Its a bit late now, but make sure your son takes the SSAT- that will give you an idea of where he fits in best- then contact the school for an interview and request to speak with the coach. Good luck

I'm not the OP, but starting to research based on similar aspirations:

What are your sons test scores.
Is he a 90% or a 20%? - No SSAT yet but HSPT composite is 84th percentile with straight A's/4.14 GPA with good mix of AP and Honors

Is he a stud or just a good player? - He's somewhere in between, having been selected for some elite national-level camps and been recognized for some all-tournament teams. He's not on anyone's short list for early commitments for his BY (2004) but he can stand out at times playing up, or with/against top 04s on both sides of the border. Again - at times. At minimum, even against elite competition - always solid and never out of place.

Does location matter at all? Boston area, CT, western MA, NH....- Location doesn't matter a ton

Is aid the deciding factor? Aid is a big factor. Would like the final tuition # per year to start with a 1.

Does he play other sports or have other interests? - He is also strong in baseball, lacrosse and golf. Depending on how competitive the school's programs are respectively, he would be a varsity candidate in all 3 supplemental sports.

Other notes/factors. He's smart but he's not into being smart. He's not thrilled about spending 3 hours on classwork/homework per night.

So not really Salisbury/Avon/KUA material hockey-wise. Nor is he Groton/Exeter material academically.

Anybody have any thoughts on potential fits, assuming the obvious need for visits, further research?
Thanks in advance.

"Would like the final tuition # per year to start with a 1."

That is the Kiss of Death for admission. With a need like that he better be a recruited athlete, artist, multi-lingual, national merit scholar, from an obscure state, with an uncommon minority cultural heritage, and an emotionally moving personal history.

"his BY (2004)" + "straight A's/4.14 GPA with good mix of AP and Honors"

Wait, your eighth grader is taking AP classes? AP classes are equivalent to "100 level" college introductory classes. Also, how do straight A's in AP and Honors classes correlate with a 4.14 weighted GPA? Please post his transcripts or admit that you're trolling.

I know several second tier prospects paying well below $20K in tuition. When I say second tier, I mean very good players that were top line/pair Midget AAA players who didn't make National camp.

There are lots of opportunities for lucrative FA packages out there. Just have to find the right fit.

Not trying to be snarky but what makes you think the OP's 8th grader will have the same $$ thrown at him as "very good players that were top line/pair Midget AAA players who didn't make National camp?" Seems like the prep coaches would be throwing their $$ at proven varsity level players like the young men you described rather than 13 yo youth hockey kids.

I hope OP doesn't expect to get that $ for his kid as a freshman.
Now, maybe if that's a repeat Sophomore, coming in after a good U15 or Midget AAA year - then some schools may want him and move the FA needle to get him.

March 10th Ill tell you if Prep is a better option than FS.

anon
Remember, Prep hockey is a 25-30 game season, tops...Prep School education is superior, so it all depends on what your in it for. Its hard for a kid to pick up and move away from Friends and Family just for hockey.

Anon
anon
Remember, Prep hockey is a 25-30 game season, tops...Prep School education is superior, so it all depends on what your in it for. Its hard for a kid to pick up and move away from Friends and Family just for hockey.
There may be some prep schools with "superior" education, but don't fall for that in general. If your town school is strong, there are very few prep schools your kid would be better off at academically, especially if you're looking for really strong hockey. Also, keep in mind that the time spent playing sports at the "best" schools will knock down his grades compared to the kids who don't (at the very top schools many kids play no sports) and the time spent doing homework will knock down his hockey. One reason why the best academic schools produce relatively few college hockey standouts (another being that the best players rarely are the best students and don't want to devote so much time to schoolwork in the first place).

Before you apply, go watch a game and be realistic about whether your boy will contribute. If he (or you) wants hockey to be significant part of his HS experience.

Anon
Before you apply, go watch a game and be realistic about whether your boy will contribute. If he (or you) wants hockey to be significant part of his HS experience.
Its a very humbling experience for many but remember teams change a lot year to year. Some teams this year are made up of 10 plus seniors, some only have 2 or 3 and are rebuilding. Yes, there are some hockey factories that just recruit and replace so you may want to stay away from there but if you can find a good fit for your kid it is well worth it.

It also depends on your situation, is your kid a Freshman or a repeat JR, that may change the path as a Freshman is looking at a 4 year development path and a repeat JR needs to recognized now in hope of moving on. Reach out to schools, ask for an interview with the hockey coach, from my experience they are very upfront about what they need and where you player may or may not fit in.

Lookin
Former short term Boston resident here when kids were too small to be playing, but now we live elsewhere. Does anyone want to toss out names of boarding schools to look into for boarding with good hockey development as well as academics? Oldest son looking to go off, and I am getting overwhelmed. Thanks for any info.
Hmmm your looking for boarding schools with "good hockey development as well as academics" (I assume you mean good academics as well)? Short answer, Milton. Their team is extremely well coached--they play skilled hockey and beat many teams with more "stars" because of that--and the school is one of the best. Of the hockey factories, Salisbury probably has the best academics as well. If your kid is not quite Milton level academically (though the coach will push for him with admissions if he's a strong player) or Salisbury level hockey-wise, I can't really think of any other programs that fit your bill. Most of the "top" hockey programs rely on older recruits or repeats who have played high-level club since they were mites and are already "developed" sufficiently to play against the mostly lousy teams in prep. At the top academic schools with decent hockey, the kids just have so much homework that there isn't much time for the coach to work on much more than special teams.

So do all schools let you know on the same day? Do they let you know FA at the same time?
Kids must get crushed. Then what, back to public or FS team. From reading these threads your better off not applying until junior year.
Good luck kids.

Anon
So do all schools let you know on the same day? Do they let you know FA at the same time?
Kids must get crushed. Then what, back to public or FS team. From reading these threads your better off not applying until junior year.
Good luck kids.
I would say if the parent doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're," yes, the spawn is better off waiting.

You. Don't. Go. To. Prep. School. For. Hockey.

Unless you are truly elite, (and those families aren't waiting for the March 10th release date to know if they are in, they have multiple schools vying for their kid) "your" not going to get a ton of help unless you would be getting it without the hockey. In which case the FA doesn't come with a guaranteed spot on the team.

I see it every year, all the families applying because their kid was "recruited" and then I see them in the summer and "we decided it wasn't a good fit."

Translation: The kid wasn't recruited, or they couldn't afford their share.

Anon
Anon
Good luck kids.
I would say if the parent doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're," yes, the spawn is better off waiting.

You. Don't. Go. To. Prep. School. For. Hockey.

Unless you are truly elite, (and those families aren't waiting for the March 10th release date to know if they are in, they have multiple schools vying for their kid) "your" not going to get a ton of help unless you would be getting it without the hockey. In which case the FA doesn't come with a guaranteed spot on the team.

I see it every year, all the families applying because their kid was "recruited" and then I see them in the summer and "we decided it wasn't a good fit."

Translation: The kid wasn't recruited, or they couldn't afford their share.
Your punctuation is terrible. Too many periods in your sentence. You're a d i c k. Thanks for the lesson. Have you been through the process in the past 2 years. Would you consider multiple coaches calling your son every 2 weeks "recruiting"
If so, my son is being "recruited" and I have not heard about FA yet. I do agree with you though, if hockey is the main concern, stay away from Prep as there is to much homework to focus on crossovers.

anon
Anon
Anon
Good luck kids.
I would say if the parent doesn\'t know the difference between \"your\" and \"you\'re,\" yes, the spawn is better off waiting.

You. Don\'t. Go. To. Prep. School. For. Hockey.

Unless you are truly elite, (and those families aren\'t waiting for the March 10th release date to know if they are in, they have multiple schools vying for their kid) \"your\" not going to get a ton of help unless you would be getting it without the hockey. In which case the FA doesn\'t come with a guaranteed spot on the team.

I see it every year, all the families applying because their kid was \"recruited\" and then I see them in the summer and \"we decided it wasn\'t a good fit.\"

Translation: The kid wasn\'t recruited, or they couldn\'t afford their share.
Your punctuation is terrible. Too many periods in your sentence. You're a d i c k. Thanks for the lesson. Have you been through the process in the past 2 years. Would you consider multiple coaches calling your son every 2 weeks "recruiting"
If so, my son is being "recruited" and I have not heard about FA yet. I do agree with you though, if hockey is the main concern, stay away from Prep as there is to much homework to focus on crossovers.
Umm, yup. My kid is a Prep athlete. Earns honors there, too. Not the only one on the team, either. Not all hockey players are bad students that struggle with the work. Tougher coming out of a public middle school, though.

Hate to break it to you, Dad, but if the schools calling are top 20 NE Preps, and they are calling you, it's because you don't have an advisor. Your kid is what is called a "fallback." Everyone wants the elite athletes. Every one of those coaches that are calling has their eyes on the same list of kids.

The plan for your kid is to hold down a spot until the next recruiting class, which doesn't mean he'll actually play. And that's only if the one they're after turns them down. Good luck to you if you choose the same school as the kid they REALLY want.

My son has a "recruited" teammate that has played sparingly for three years now. I honestly don't know why he didn't transfer. Another was sent to JV for the past two years after the school fulfilled their promise he would be on Varsity for the "upcoming season."

It sucks out there. My advice to you is to stop thinking you have all the answers. Start asking REAL questions of people that have REAL answers and you can avoid making a bad choice.

If you were choosing a prep school based solely on the hockey coach (which we are not), is there a coach out there that is both trustworthy/honest, AND great at developing kids?

Anon
If you were choosing a prep school based solely on the hockey coach (which we are not), is there a coach out there that is both trustworthy/honest, AND great at developing kids?
Rivers (SM) would be top of the list. Gets the most out of his players. Milton (PD) seems similar although I do not know much about the coach. KUA(TW) too, but stacked!! PEA (DB) has been there forever and is always top of the pack. Heard he is a straight shooter.

Tilton seems to over recruit and is middle of the pack. To me that is a telltale sign.

In general stay away from Lakes Region ( KUA excluded). Beautiful settings but... Talk to coaches and look at teams that have success with the least amount of D1 Commits. To me that speaks volumes.

Good Luck

To the OP: I Talked to my son last night. Plays at a top 20 Prep (3rd year) and I asked if he was having any fun..Luckily for me, he said "Hell Ya!" You have to really talk to your kid before you make this move, he goes 6 days a week from 7:30am until at lest 11:00PM, Classes, Homework, Sports, Time for friends, Time for projects, Peer Pressue, etc..every second of everyday for just about the entire school year is mapped out and is a complete juggling act. Living at school is a life decision, not a hockey decision, and if you do go that route, there will be times you get that call at midnight with him on the other line asking to come home just for a few days. Last year he had a teammate go home on a Tuesday and never come back, kid wanted nothing to do with it, so make sure you dont have the blinders on and your son is 100% committed to doing this.
Good Luck