email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MIAA Officiating

Hockey
The MIAA should be embarrassed with the officiating of High school hockey games. First, they should be providing three instead of two officials. If it's good enough for the playoffs, then it's good enough for regular season play. The amount of missed calls, including head contact, is beyond belief. The skill level of players is not as high as we would all like but that doesn't mean that it should become a steel cage match from the moment they drop the puck and the officiating is allowing it. If the officials were trained to call everything and there were three of them on the ice then the kids would get it after about the first ten penalties and would start skating and playing the game. It's easier said than done, it would take retraining if the officials, training of the coaches, and lastly to discuss the implementation of a no tolerence policy with the players. This would require a huge effort by the MIAA and could result in Massachusetts high school hockey turning around to becoming a league that players want to go play in.
It's more than officiating that is preventing MIAA from being relevant again. Too much water under the bridge.

The decline in the level of play even in the past 2-3 years is kind of remarkable. Reminds me of how quickly town hockey turned 10-12 years ago. All of a sudden everyone left.

anon
The decline in the level of play even in the past 2-3 years is kind of remarkable. Reminds me of how quickly town hockey turned 10-12 years ago. All of a sudden everyone left.
I agree 100%. Been watching it happen. Publics were the first to fall, now the Catholics are only marginally better. That helps competitive balance in MIAA, but the overall level is sinking - fast.

And more full season teams are starting up every year, providing an alternative. Pretty soon, the Publics won't have ice to practice on, when it all gets bought by private teams. It'll be back to the 5 AM practices of yore.