The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MIAA Division 1 Tourney

Both Austin Prep and St. Mary's go down to public schools. Has it got that bad for Catholics too? Are the others (CC, BCH, SJP, etc.) to follow in the coming years?

Re: MIAA Division 1 Tourney

Look at what is going on at Malden Catholic, Catholic Memorial and as an earlier post noted complete collapse at Arlington Catholic.

It’s nothing new. From time to time, publics just have solid hockey teams. Reading, Hingham and Arlington have all won the Super 8 in the past decade. That’s as much or more than a lot of Catholics that have only won it once or never at all, and there’s a long list of them. How many Super 8 titles does St. Mary’s, Xaverian, Pope Frances etc... have? None. St John’s Prep, Austin Prep and others have won a title in the past decade or so but no more than those other public’s that have been in the mix year after year

CM got robbed....Needham started celebrating before the final buzzer and the puck went in the net with 1 sec on the clock...That should have been a tie and go to over time...not saying they would have won but the puck was in the net......

Check the My Hockey Live video and file a complaint

Anon
CM got robbed....Needham started celebrating before the final buzzer and the puck went in the net with 1 sec on the clock...That should have been a tie and go to over time...not saying they would have won but the puck was in the net......
i agree. the refs got caught up in the 'countdown' instead of the clock. someone did a great job with the videos

https://twitter.com/cathmemsuperfan/status/970111115635159041

BTW what goalie doesn't make sure? Seemed like a simple shot/save

Needham beating CM-all u need to know about how far hs hockey has fallen in Mass

Serious question - I get that the caliber of HS hockey has fallen. But where is everyone playing ? I've heard prep school has also fallen off - does everyone have 50k for ISL hockey. Are the U16, etc teams taking all the players? Is youth development horrible and there are no good local players. Where are the good players?

anon
Serious question - I get that the caliber of HS hockey has fallen. But where is everyone playing ? I've heard prep school has also fallen off - does everyone have 50k for ISL hockey. Are the U16, etc teams taking all the players? Is youth development horrible and there are no good local players. Where are the good players?
From what I have seen: Things have become really spread out. Prep School is still very strong up top- Top 10 -15 or 20 teams. Below that it has definitely been watered down. Full Season locally is getting stronger and High School hockey in general has felt it. Top D1 teams and CC teams still good but younger then in the past. If playing at one of those schools are not an option and the FA not available at Prep then FS next best thing.

USPHL U18 teams re very competitive against some of the better Prep school teams. Delbarton loses to Brunswick 3-0 and Pope Francis 3-0 but takes Dexter to overtime 3-2 loss. All teams playing with their best players! Other examples too. All and All still very good hockey

anon
MA has the same number of “elite” players we’ve always had. Some years you get a better crop than others, but it all evens out. Back in the day, kids stayed at their MIAA school or Prep school then went directly to college and occasionally pro. Now they go to Preps earlier (very few post grads spots left) and the best of the best move on to Jr’s. While the top MIAA and Prep talent may be slightly down from years past due to the the rise of Jr hockey, it really hasn’t changed. Sure, demographics have shifted and hockey had grown in states that never knew what hockey was, but I’d advise people to go back and watch a VCR tape of one of their high school games and realize that you weren’t really all that good...if you even played at all.

Anon
anon
Serious question - I get that the caliber of HS hockey has fallen. But where is everyone playing ? I\'ve heard prep school has also fallen off - does everyone have 50k for ISL hockey. Are the U16, etc teams taking all the players? Is youth development horrible and there are no good local players. Where are the good players?
MA has the same number of “elite” players we’ve always had. Some years you get a better crop than others, but it all evens out. Back in the day, kids stayed at their MIAA school or Prep school then went directly to college and occasionally pro. Now they go to Preps earlier (very few post grads spots left) and the best of the best move on to Jr’s. While the top MIAA and Prep talent may be slightly down from years past due to the the rise of Jr hockey, it really hasn’t changed. Sure, demographics have shifted and hockey had grown in states that never knew what hockey was, but I’d advise people to go back and watch a VCR tape of one of their high school games and realize that you weren’t really all that good...if you even played at all.
That may be, but the MIAA game has definitely fallen off a cliff in the last 3+ years, bringing the Catholics back to the Publics, and both resembling JV from a few years ago,. That overlaps directly with the growth of full season area U15, U16, U18 and USPHL/EHL Juniors. Junior Bruins, IHC, Kings, Wizards, Warriors, Cyclones, BA, Monarchs, etc. - almost all of these kids would have been playing HS hockey a few years ago. It's moved from where kids that lived in towns with really sucky teams played to kids from a much wider swath of towns.

Anon
Needham beating CM-all u need to know about how far hs hockey has fallen in Mass
1969 Needham vs. 1991 CM

Who ya got?

Anon
Anon
1969 Needham vs. 1991 CM

Who ya got?
I played against the 1991 CM team. Unstoppable. I don't think we had a shot on net...

Anon
Anon
Anon
1969 Needham vs. 1991 CM

Who ya got?
I played against the 1991 CM team. Unstoppable. I don't think we had a shot on net...
Robbie Ftorek. 'Nuff said!

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
1969 Needham vs. 1991 CM

Who ya got?
I played against the 1991 CM team. Unstoppable. I don\'t think we had a shot on net...
Robbie Ftorek. 'Nuff said!
Ftorek was a bum...I should have cross checked him coming around the net when I had the chance...send him to the showers early...:muscle: :muscle:

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
1969 Needham vs. 1991 CM

Who ya got?
I played against the 1991 CM team. Unstoppable. I don\\\'t think we had a shot on net...
Robbie Ftorek. \'Nuff said!
Ftorek was a bum...I should have cross checked him coming around the net when I had the chance...send him to the showers early...:muscle: :muscle:
After Ftorek dangled through Tim Regan for a 2 goals and 4 assists.

The MIAA should be more involved with the hockey game and have goal judges, rather than have 30 MIAA personnel worrying about 8 dollars at the door.

MIAA hockey as an organization should be embarrassed what happened at the CM Needham game. That not one of there MIAA officials, game officials or score keeper was paying attention is ridiculous. Video says it all.

Anonymous
MIAA hockey as an organization should be embarrassed what happened at the CM Needham game. That not one of there MIAA officials, game officials or score keeper was paying attention is ridiculous. Video says it all.
I don't know that you can put this on MIAA, but on whoever officiates the officiating. An egregious oversight occurred in the U18 State Championship, where the official skated ahead of the puck and failed to see the forechecker steal the puck away from a defender for the apparent tying goal very late in the game. That game, too, would have gone to OT.

These are important games for these kids. Mistakes happen, but these are mistakes of laziness by people that are trained to act differently.

I agree mistakes happen and I don’t want to anything away from Needham, they played a good game and their goalie was fantastic. But if the MIAA is going to oversee these games and collect the money they have a responsibility to the players, coaches and paying customers to provide adequate resources. The refs to their credit asked the score keeper and MIAA official in the box for help and I can only assume their answers were no goal.

Anon
I agree mistakes happen and I don’t want to anything away from Needham, they played a good game and their goalie was fantastic. But if the MIAA is going to oversee these games and collect the money they have a responsibility to the players, coaches and paying customers to provide adequate resources. The refs to their credit asked the score keeper and MIAA official in the box for help and I can only assume their answers were no goal.
Glaring mistakes have happened on the biggest stages like the Super Bowl and World Series, too, which is what has led to replay. But, these incidents aren't about an official getting a call wrong, they are about their not doing their assigned job the way they were taught to do it.

Has nothing to do with the $8 gate, which is a mistake driven by greed but doesn't affect the expectations for the officiating. Would it be OK if there was no gate fee? Of course not.

Recently I was talking to a dad of a Hingham player and he mentioned there are very few 'hockey players' left in the public schools. Meaning, yes they play hockey but they are mostly focused on other sports as their primary sport. Over the past 4-5 years their teams have had lacrosse players, soccer players, baseball players, football players, track athletes and just about everything else. The focused hockey players have moved on to prep or juniors and I think this is a common thread in the local high school status of the sport.

anon
The MIAA should be more involved with the hockey game and have goal judges, rather than have 30 MIAA personnel worrying about 8 dollars at the door.
Dont forget miaa is focused on cracking down on the big things...like live barn. Make sure nobody skips a gate fee and watches a high school game for free. Including a parent traveling on business.

CMass D3 semis last night had 2 refs, 1 linesman and goal judges.

I was the OP. Happy for Hingham beating CC. Looks like the divide between some publics and catholics is really getting smaller. Is it worth spending the $15-$20k for the catholics just for hockey? Maybe, depending on what town you are from...

Have the catholics gotten lazy or complacent recruiting?

I always thought it would go the other way but I was wrong. The families who put up the cash for hockey are now putting up the cash elsewhere - full season or prep. It was never about education as these schools are not that competitive academically so given the choice the CC schools are the odd ones out. Just a couple years ago I thought they would out-recruit publics by offering free or discounted tuition and win everything, but I was wrong. They might still win but it’s getting more even.