email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MIAA Division 1 Tourney

Anon
I agree mistakes happen and I don’t want to anything away from Needham, they played a good game and their goalie was fantastic. But if the MIAA is going to oversee these games and collect the money they have a responsibility to the players, coaches and paying customers to provide adequate resources. The refs to their credit asked the score keeper and MIAA official in the box for help and I can only assume their answers were no goal.
Glaring mistakes have happened on the biggest stages like the Super Bowl and World Series, too, which is what has led to replay. But, these incidents aren't about an official getting a call wrong, they are about their not doing their assigned job the way they were taught to do it.

Has nothing to do with the $8 gate, which is a mistake driven by greed but doesn't affect the expectations for the officiating. Would it be OK if there was no gate fee? Of course not.

Recently I was talking to a dad of a Hingham player and he mentioned there are very few 'hockey players' left in the public schools. Meaning, yes they play hockey but they are mostly focused on other sports as their primary sport. Over the past 4-5 years their teams have had lacrosse players, soccer players, baseball players, football players, track athletes and just about everything else. The focused hockey players have moved on to prep or juniors and I think this is a common thread in the local high school status of the sport.

anon
The MIAA should be more involved with the hockey game and have goal judges, rather than have 30 MIAA personnel worrying about 8 dollars at the door.
Dont forget miaa is focused on cracking down on the big things...like live barn. Make sure nobody skips a gate fee and watches a high school game for free. Including a parent traveling on business.

CMass D3 semis last night had 2 refs, 1 linesman and goal judges.

I was the OP. Happy for Hingham beating CC. Looks like the divide between some publics and catholics is really getting smaller. Is it worth spending the $15-$20k for the catholics just for hockey? Maybe, depending on what town you are from...

Have the catholics gotten lazy or complacent recruiting?

I always thought it would go the other way but I was wrong. The families who put up the cash for hockey are now putting up the cash elsewhere - full season or prep. It was never about education as these schools are not that competitive academically so given the choice the CC schools are the odd ones out. Just a couple years ago I thought they would out-recruit publics by offering free or discounted tuition and win everything, but I was wrong. They might still win but it’s getting more even.