Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 3 days

I've been around hockey parents, football, girls/boys lax, girls/boys basketball. And they all talk about getting taken care of. And so the question is, if every kid in every sport is being taken care of, who pays tuition? Bottom line is most schools deal on need and need alone. ISL schools police each other so give a couple grand leeway either way, everyone is paying based upon need. Anyone saying they are getting a free ride is either needy enought to warrant a free ride or lying their ass off.

That being said, if your kid can do more than play hockey. If he's really smart, plays in instrument, drama etc then he might get more because he has earned and is worth more to the school. Schools want kids, not because they can win games, but because of where they will matriculate. It's the same story in everything in life. If ou have leverage, then you can get more because you will be in demand. If your kid is a good hockey player and the hockey coach says he really want's him, don't think anyone else in the shool with input on admissions will give a **** because every other coach for every other sport asking for a break for the kid they want to get in.

I believe the NEPSHL independents, Exeter for example, will go well beyond need to get a stud. But of course with a school like that the kid better be really bright in the class room. They ain't letting in any dummies or "marginal" kids. And also, to get great money you better be a varsity level kid in another sport.

anon
I believe the NEPSHL independents, Exeter for example, will go well beyond need to get a stud. But of course with a school like that the kid better be really bright in the class room. They ain't letting in any dummies or "marginal" kids. And also, to get great money you better be a varsity level kid in another sport.
It's NEPSAC, yes, only ISL schools are bound by need, and no, you don't have to be an academic stud or play another sport any more.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

anon
Agreed, Exeter can be very generous with aid, and why not when you have an endowment of greater than $1 Billion dollars, and yes, that is with a "B". But you have to swing it in the classroom, Exeter doesn't let anyone in that is "marginal" academically. It's amazing that their hockey team is good year after year with all the turnover they have from each year.

What a week. I have received at least 20 calls from parents of 03 up to 00 where kids were accepted but no FA available and put on a waitlist. I have been doing this for a long time and don't remember a year like this.
The 03 group at least can play a year or 2 of U16 or go to a Catholic to prepare, but the older kids are at a loss, and they are good solid players.

anon
What a week. I have received at least 20 calls from parents of 03 up to 00 where kids were accepted but no FA available and put on a waitlist. I have been doing this for a long time and don't remember a year like this.
The 03 group at least can play a year or 2 of U16 or go to a Catholic to prepare, but the older kids are at a loss, and they are good solid players.
Bodes well for High School and FS hockey though. God I wish we live in MN!!

Tough week for a lot of dreamers.

1. Sorry your oldest kid got cut from prep school
2. Sorry your bank account got cut from financial aid
3. Sorry your youngest will get cut from their club team

anon
Tough week for a lot of dreamers.

1. Sorry your oldest kid got cut from prep school
2. Sorry your bank account got cut from financial aid
3. Sorry your youngest will get cut from their club team

At least these families tried unlike you who just drinks and doesn't pay bills.