The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting looks

My son has no desire to leave home yet for Prep, enjoys playing for his public school D3. Playes spilt season for a very high level program.
He wants to try and play college but is there a way to do that if he stays with his local high school team? He received 3 Prep offers and a few full season offers but wants to keep playing with friends. Made MA Hockey final 40 last year, good player.

Re: Getting looks

Its up to the kid at this point...if he values playing with local friends over playing prep then thats fine but its his call. You cant play D3 public high school hockey and go play any college level nowadays. At best it would be 4 yrs of D3 HS then juniors but by that time its a good chance he is off the radar. If he is serious about prioritizing hockey then he will have to go prep but that has to be in his heart. Nothing wrong playing d3 hs with friends...not everyone is cut out to play college hockey either.

There are sports that allow you to play 4 years at your local high school and still play high level college. This isn't one of them. Your kid will need to make some changes that seem major. Prep school, boarding, moving out west or starting college at age 21. A combination is probable. My suggestion is find out how important this really is to him and how much financial and life changing sacrifices you want to make. Also. Try to make an honest assessment about the level of college hockey he realistically projects for. Is it hockey east or Salem state? If he plays another sport then maybe consider focusing on that a bit more if the sacrifices seem a bit much.

You could pull it off. H.S. for four years and then at least one of juniors for D-3 college. The best bet might be to see if his split season team has connections to midwest junior hockey and get him out for a camp or two during the summer. If he can latch on to a team post high school it would move him into position for a legit shot at D-1 college.

anon
You could pull it off. H.S. for four years and then at least one of juniors for D-3 college. The best bet might be to see if his split season team has connections to midwest junior hockey and get him out for a camp or two during the summer. If he can latch on to a team post high school it would move him into position for a legit shot at D-1 college.
You have not really watched d-3 high school hockey. You are not playing it for 4 years and going west at 18. Maybe 3 and then prep school and you have some chance if you are able to stand out in prep.

Anon
anon
You have not really watched d-3 high school hockey. You are not playing it for 4 years and going west at 18. Maybe 3 and then prep school and you have some chance if you are able to stand out in prep.
Yeah, you're gonna have to define that "very high level" split season program. A typical DIII HS player wouldn't be able to compete, and a player from a "very high level" Midget program would stick knitting needles in his eyes if forced to play DIII HS.

But, you're wrong if you think you have to play prep OR full season to get "looks." If he is playing "very high level" midget hockey in the fall, they are there. If they aren't seeking you out, then he's probably better in your mind than the scouts'.

Then there are the combines. NAHL, USHL both run their own. I'm not talking about the ones run by individual Juniors teams. Yes, they cost money to attend, but not very much, really, and if your kid can play, that will get him "looks."

Anon
My son has no desire to leave home yet for Prep, enjoys playing for his public school D3. Playes spilt season for a very high level program.
He wants to try and play college but is there a way to do that if he stays with his local high school team? He received 3 Prep offers and a few full season offers but wants to keep playing with friends. Made MA Hockey final 40 last year, good player.
My oldest did 2 years at public and then moved on to Avon. 1 year Varsity B, and 2 years of Varsity.
He was a middle of the road Varsity player and had 1 Ivy and 4 NESCAC schools to choose from.
Not bad for a 2nd/3rd line player who killed penalties. If he had not gone the Prep route he would have never had that opportunity.
He went NESCAC and loves it!

To the original poster. And I’m being serious here. Your son has no future in hockey and don’t spend a dime on it, unless he falls in love with the sport. Right now, it sounds like your kid is in love with his friends, which is great, but don’t kid yourself, if a kid can’t make a shift to a local prep or FS team, he lacks passion for growth and development and doesn’t have what it takes. It sounds harsh but it’s true. Young men who have the desire required for success care more about the quality of talent they play with and against, always wanting more. It’s part of their DNA. Sorry to be the one to break this to you.

Lastly, D3 hockey is so bad he will actually get worse over time. I also find it hard to believe he can hang on a “very high level half season team then put up with benderville for 3 months. It’s not adding up.

A compromise at the very least would be FS, which in some cases better than prep. If he won’t do that, see note above. He’s not really a hockey player a good coach wants to put up with.

Sorry.

Anon
To the original poster. And I’m being serious here. Your son has no future in hockey and don’t spend a dime on it, unless he falls in love with the sport. Right now, it sounds like your kid is in love with his friends, which is great, but don’t kid yourself, if a kid can’t make a shift to a local prep or FS team, he lacks passion for growth and development and doesn’t have what it takes. It sounds harsh but it’s true. Young men who have the desire required for success care more about the quality of talent they play with and against, always wanting more. It’s part of their DNA. Sorry to be the one to break this to you.

Lastly, D3 hockey is so bad he will actually get worse over time. I also find it hard to believe he can hang on a “very high level half season team then put up with benderville for 3 months. It’s not adding up.

A compromise at the very least would be FS, which in some cases better than prep. If he won’t do that, see note above. He’s not really a hockey player a good coach wants to put up with.

Sorry.

//

spot on. My kid has a passion for hockey that is insane, that he is willing to go to a summer skills session that runs two days a week for 8 weeks. Instructor is hard assed. Kid loves him and WANTS to go to his camp. His quote "Will only make me a better player," meanwhile kid is playing lax and spring/summer baseball, loves both, but in back of his mind he knows hockey is his ticket to better things. Yes he is addicted to that stupid Fortnight game but will drop it for any chance to skate. So he ends up at a D3 college, so what? he put the time in and so be it. some get lucky some don't. Regardless, he enjoyed/is enjoying his childhood.

Stupid Fortnight game is the devil.

Anon
Stupid Fortnight game is the devil.
How about telling him no?

Anon

Sorry.

slightly harsh but can't disagree with a single word of it.

Anon

Sorry.

It's posts like these that really help ground you as a parent. It's easy to get swept up in this sport and there is always someone willing to take your money. At the end of the day, your kid and not you, are in control of his future. It's hard to hear sometimes, especially if a kid is very talented.

Agree with previous harsh poster. It ain’t Squirts. If a kid knows the talent he is playing with and against is bad and catch detach from his townie benders he probably doesn’t love the sport the way you describe. He WON’T be playing college hockey if playing public HS D3 hockey.

Anon

Sorry.

This guy gets it.

My oldest boy is a very good player. The select team he was on that has a history of moving kids to college asked him when he was a freshman at a very good D-1 high school, "Do you want to play college hockey?" The boy said, "not really...I never really gave it any thought." And the coach said "OK, then you should go and play for your high school."

Reading into it, I think the coach was implying if you want to play college hockey you need to move along. And in the words of Jerry Seinfeld, 'not that there's anything wrong with that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3VphK9AMk

Anon
Anon
My oldest did 2 years at public and then moved on to Avon. 1 year Varsity B, and 2 years of Varsity.
He was a middle of the road Varsity player and had 1 Ivy and 4 NESCAC schools to choose from.
Not bad for a 2nd/3rd line player who killed penalties. If he had not gone the Prep route he would have never had that opportunity.
He went NESCAC and loves it!
Great and informative post. Thanks for adding the details with school names as well. It helps.

Anon
I think the bottom line here is that playing four years at a D3 high school does not eliminate the chance to play in college but it hugely reduces that chance.There are kids playing D3 college now who played 4 years of D3 high school and a PG year or juniors but very few. Hard to explain this to a 14-15 year old kid but it's the statistical reality. Good Luck either way.

To be honest, D-3 college hockey isn't at all an unachievable dream for every good high school hockey player. It's not like making the NHL. Many better kids throw in the towel and hit the books instead of playing D-3 at some school they don't even want to go to.

Some really good and honest posts in this thread. I think as parents we lose sight of the reality of playing college hockey. Maybe because of the proliferation of club teams. Think about how many kids we played with that actually went on to play in college. It wasn't many. Now add in many more kids from other regions of the country and international kids to the equation and the pond is a lot bigger these days. It's a big commitment, and I root for all the local kids that go after it. But I hate to see families turn their life upside down to get their kid "looks" when they truthfully don't have much of a chance.

anon
To be honest, D-3 college hockey isn't at all an unachievable dream for every good high school hockey player. It's not like making the NHL. Many better kids throw in the towel and hit the books instead of playing D-3 at some school they don't even want to go to.
this isn't even remotely true anymore. Read the rosters online from local D3 teams. Kids are coming from all over and no one is making those rosters without first going the juniors/prep route.

My guess it's the rare kid indeed who plays public D3 high school around here and goes on to play any kind of college hockey.

Anon
anon
To be honest, D-3 college hockey isn\'t at all an unachievable dream for every good high school hockey player. It\'s not like making the NHL. Many better kids throw in the towel and hit the books instead of playing D-3 at some school they don\'t even want to go to.
this isn't even remotely true anymore. Read the rosters online from local D3 teams. Kids are coming from all over and no one is making those rosters without first going the juniors/prep route.

My guess it's the rare kid indeed who plays public D3 high school around here and goes on to play any kind of college hockey.
That was my thought as well, the guy makes it sound mike D-III hockey is a walk-on sport.

But, you also made a distinction that led me to feel differently, The LOCAL D-III rosters are tough to crack. I have no idea what D-III teams in other parts of the country are like.

i still say there are not spots for "every good high school hockey player." A lot of "good high school hockey players" wouldn't be able to crack a Tier III Juniors roster.

its nice to see this thread steer away from variations of 'musts': club, 'elite', league 'x', prep, never play town, never play public hs, never... yes he can play HS D3 and COULD eventually make a college D1 team but, even me --- a strong supporter of public HS hockey will concede at some point in your child's HS years a decision must be made, as that 'could' can be a tall hurdle for even strong players on very good high end teams. spending too much time in the wrong environment will allow rust/bad habits/etc to creep in. first impressions are hard to shake at the upper levels. while your player is 'getting looks' and you say 'he wants to play with his friends', those coaches hear he's not 'motivated' and those offers will dry up in hurry.

AND what do you mean 'getting looks'? there is a huge difference: full freight and full scholarship.

I think the guy said 'D-3 college hockey isn't at all an unachievable dream for every good high school hockey player.' Key word - dream. I would think any good h.s. hockey player who really committed themselves for their senior year and one good year of juniors and I think more than 50% could make it.

anon
I think the guy said 'D-3 college hockey isn't at all an unachievable dream for every good high school hockey player.' Key word - dream. I would think any good h.s. hockey player who really committed themselves for their senior year and one good year of juniors and I think more than 50% could make it.
"Dream" is the right word.

What level of Juniors do you think these "good h.s. hockey players" are making?

Tier II? Tier I?

Dream on.

No **** in the fight here 😊

Honest advise here sir. I watch a fair amount of HS, Club and Jr hockey as I’m a ref. There is a very big difference in club vs HS hockey. Faster pace and way more structure to the game. There are a handful of kids south, north and off the 495 belt that are the D2 or 3 “standouts” that everyone watching says, “ boy, I hope he never leaves the team“ and at the same time ”he definitely should not be playing here“. There was a kid on the South Shore that was like that for the last few years. Hung with his HS team instead of progressing his skills. If he chooses to go on, it will be an eye opener for him at the next level.

495 belt also has a few. Assuming your child is one of them the only option you have is to get them out of high school before his junior year and onto a club team. If he doesn’t want that then the other posters may be right, competitive hockey probably not for him.

Anon

Honest advise here sir. I watch a fair amount of HS, Club and Jr hockey as I’m a ref. There is a very big difference in club vs HS hockey. Faster pace and way more structure to the game. There are a handful of kids south, north and off the 495 belt that are the D2 or 3 “standouts” that everyone watching says, “ boy, I hope he never leaves the team“ and at the same time ”he definitely should not be playing here“. There was a kid on the South Shore that was like that for the last few years. Hung with his HS team instead of progressing his skills. If he chooses to go on, it will be an eye opener for him at the next level.

495 belt also has a few. Assuming your child is one of them the only option you have is to get them out of high school before his junior year and onto a club team. If he doesn’t want that then the other posters may be right, competitive hockey probably not for him.
I agree with you. I watched a better USPHL U 18 team play against a Tier 1 U18 team. It was very good hockey. I saw some very good Prep School hockey ( Elite Eight) and that was a little bit more skilled and maybe a little faster.

How do the better FS teams compare to CC and Super 8 caliber teams in your opinion?

Thanks

Anon
Anon

I agree with you. I watched a better USPHL U 18 team play against a Tier 1 U18 team. It was very good hockey. I saw some very good Prep School hockey ( Elite Eight) and that was a little bit more skilled and maybe a little faster.

How do the better FS teams compare to CC and Super 8 caliber teams in your opinion?

Thanks
My kid plays U18 USPHL. I saw two top 10 publics and thought it was JV. Saw them walking out of the rink, very small. Not close in size. We have a few smaller kids but not across the board.

I also saw SJP Shrewsbury against a team I don't recall. They were better, but still a lower level. Sort of in between I guess.

Anon
Anon
Anon

Thanks
My kid plays U18 USPHL. I saw two top 10 publics and thought it was JV. Saw them walking out of the rink, very small. Not close in size. We have a few smaller kids but not across the board.

I also saw SJP Shrewsbury against a team I don't recall. They were better, but still a lower level. Sort of in between I guess.
I though that the top 4 teams were really good- CC, BC High, Pope, SJP. I also thought the next wave of teams had some good players but not deep enough. The team that surprised me the most was MC. A lot of very good hockey players and deep. Just could not put it together this year. Same with AP but not nearly as deep.

In this order

Top 6 Prep
T1 Elite League
NAPHL
USPHL
CC
Public

Anon
In this order

Top 6 Prep
T1 Elite League
NAPHL
USPHL
CC
Public
Make it Top 20 prep and eliminate NAPHL and I can agree with you.

NAPHL has one team in NE, it's in CT, and they aren't very good. So, unless you want to absolutely sacrifice your kid's education and upbringing, they don't count.

Anon
Anon
Anon

Thanks

i see this a lot: "saw team X play... more like jv" --- putting aside the obvious by what measure (what jv teams). when did you see them? if the season is wrapped up (well out or well in) more likely they are sprinkling in players that typically would never see the ice. we did twice (we were already in). once the other team needed points (many players on our team had played with theirs on club), so while we did not throw the game we ran the lines and those lines were mixed so 4th liners were with 1st. the second time two top and our fastest players were out with the flu --- after the game the other coach asked where they were.

and ALL teams have a clunker --- even the pros.

and i am not saying HS compares especially after the top line but over the top statements weaken your overall point.

NAPHL adding teams in east. ECEL adding teams as well. Better options than USPHL. If you are a USPHL person you were probably the Fed4Life guy. Newsflash. Better players aren’t playing in the USPHL after u14.

To put it in perspective, the Maine Moose are joining the USPHL. They take anyone. CP Dynamo losing their good players because the league is so bad at the 16 and 18 levels.

Have a clue about hockey dude.

Anon
NAPHL adding teams in east. ECEL adding teams as well. Better options than USPHL. If you are a USPHL person you were probably the Fed4Life guy. Newsflash. Better players aren’t playing in the USPHL after u14.

To put it in perspective, the Maine Moose are joining the USPHL. They take anyone. CP Dynamo losing their good players because the league is so bad at the 16 and 18 levels.

Have a clue about hockey dude.
Where are these NAPHL teams being added? Is it within an hour of Boston? No? Then what difference does it make if they are in Danbury or Wichita?

And the ECEL is so bad that the 95 Giants can wim games. My kid's T1ECL team played in the ECEL for extra games. It is not as good as USPHL, on average.

But, keep thinking you're smarter than everyone. Maybe you and beatcuff can have a beer and compare inflated egos.

Right...Giants u18 tied the top ranked Islanders...I see your point...talk to me about u18’s from local USPHL teams making the jump to the NAHL...you can’t. Keep writing those checks though...

Anon
Right...Giants u18 tied the top ranked Islanders...I see your point...talk to me about u18’s from local USPHL teams making the jump to the NAHL...you can’t. Keep writing those checks though...
USPHL is not affiliated with USA hockey. NAHL is. Until the USPHL/NCDC can find common ground with USA hockey there will be a disconnect. Does not bode well for the players that have aspirations to play Tier 1 or 2 Jr hockey nor the USPHL. Time will tell

Anon
JR Bruins USPHL U18

VS

2017-09-23 16:40 Eastern Mass Senators 18U AAA New England Sports Center 1 - 1 #9 in the country U18 team

2017-09-24 09:30 Cape Cod Whalers 18U AAA New England Sports Center 3 - 4 SO #6 in the country U18 team

2017-10-26 12:10 Chicago Fury 18U AAA New England Sports Center 2 - 2 Tier 1 team #27 in country

2017-10-27 09:30 Belle Tire 18U AAA New England Sports Center 4 - 4 Tier 1 team #13 in country

2017-12-08 14:10 Compuware 18U AAA Fraser Hockeyland 3 - 4 OT HPHL team #10 team in the country

2018-01-13 16:00 Northwood School (#1) Junior Olympic Center 5 - 2 #3 Ind Prep team behind only Culver & SSM

There are a few other examples of them winning, losing and tying Tier 1 & HPHL teams. They also lost a number of games to SSK, IHC , NH Monarchs to name a few. So they are certainly not the exception in the USPHL. Actually they are probably only the 4th or 5th best team in USPHL when incl South division.

My point is there is so much parity out there between teams and leagues, especially at the u18 division. No dog in this fight just don't care for the ax grinders talking sh**.

Previous poster nailed it. RG is a black sheep in the eyes of USA Hockey. NCDC will never be granted Tier 2 status because of lack of talent and financial model. RG’s baby like, take my ball and go home attitude has ousted them forever from USA Hockey. Anyone with aspirations to further their hockey (Tier 1 or 2) won’t risk the association. Legit college programs simply not attending games and scouting. Go to a NAHL game (Generals) and they are there every game.

I believe what folks are saying is that the hype of the league is not living up to its promises.

Life is cyclical. Islanders on the downside.

beatcuff
Anon
Anon
Anon

Thanks

I also saw SJP Shrewsbury against a team I don\'t recall. They were better, but still a lower level. Sort of in between I guess.
i see this a lot: "saw team X play... more like jv" --- putting aside the obvious by what measure (what jv teams). when did you see them? if the season is wrapped up (well out or well in) more likely they are sprinkling in players that typically would never see the ice. we did twice (we were already in). once the other team needed points (many players on our team had played with theirs on club), so while we did not throw the game we ran the lines and those lines were mixed so 4th liners were with 1st. the second time two top and our fastest players were out with the flu --- after the game the other coach asked where they were.

and ALL teams have a clunker --- even the pros.

and i am not saying HS compares especially after the top line but over the top statements weaken your overall point.
It's only "over the top" in your opinion and lord knows you always have one that you think is more valid than anyone else's.