email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep School Decisions

anon
I love the fact these two guys are pretending they have jobs. Classic d-board here. Lets pull out W-2's!!

I am thinking IP addresses would be more like 1.) A public (free internet) library in Lowell 2.) Flip phone outside the Porthole in Lynn
And with deductive powers like that, I'll bet your resume says "Rocket Scientist."

Too bad it isn't made out of tin foil, you could use it for a hat.

anon
I love the fact these two guys are pretending they have jobs. Classic d-board here. Lets pull out W-2\'s!!

I am thinking IP addresses would be more like 1.) A public (free internet) library in Lowell 2.) Flip phone outside the Porthole in Lynn
:joy: :joy: :joy:

anon
The prep defenders (after all they\\\\\\\'re the ones needing to justify laying out the cash) will be quick to circle the \\\\\\\'it\\\\\\\'s all about the education! it\\\\\\\'s all about the education!\\\\\\\' wagons but the problem with prep is the wide age differential. The incoming kid will be fighting for ice time and have his head rammed through the boards by a 19 year old PG man...and conversely the 19 year old man is playing against 15 year old children. And that\\\\\\\'s great for the 15 year old phenom or early puberty kid who is 6\\\\\\\'2\\\\\\\" 180 at 15 years old but as a true freshman it can have it\\\\\\\'s issues. FS teams get more of a level playing field.

And for \\\\\\\'it\\\\\\\'s all about the education! it\\\\\\\'s all about the education!\\\\\\\' crowd then when the ultimate goal is reached and the kid gets a partial ride to a Hockey East school and he comes home and says \\\\\\\'mom & dad the good news is I get to play competitive hockey...but the bad news is, because the hockey demands are so great I think I will become a Communications major or a phy. ed major.\\\\\\\" Or the kid makes the almost ultimate goal and comes home and says, \\\\\\\'mom & dad the good news is I get to play competitive D-1 hockey...but the bad news is, the only places offering me a spot are places called Canisius College or Bemidji State.\\\\\\\" And then all of a sudden it\\\\\\\'s not \\\\\\\'all about the education.\\\\\\\'
Sorry your kid got cut! I mean, "wait-listed"

Ready. Set. Attack:

Prep Hockey Advisors
@prephockeyadv
Recently contacted by a school w top hockey & academics, looking for high end forward. If you’re still looking for placement this Fall, let PHA know. We simplify the process. #prephockey #prepschool #nepsac

Only on the Dboard can a question about 03 prep players turn into 2 millionaires arguing over the process of creating a resume..and still not get the answer about the 03 prep players.

Glad someone finally pointed this out. So let's assume 03 wants prep around Boston area, not an argument about FS hockey or economics/resumes. What are the schools that are top choices?

Anon
Glad someone finally pointed this out. So let's assume 03 wants prep around Boston area, not an argument about FS hockey or economics/resumes. What are the schools that are top choices?
ISL is the way to go, no worries about PG's..but very competitive to gain a spot at Milton, Thayer, Lawrence,Rivers, Sebs, Belmont Hill. There is also a huge difference between gaining a spot and stepping on the ice in a game.

anon
Anon
Glad someone finally pointed this out. So let\'s assume 03 wants prep around Boston area, not an argument about FS hockey or economics/resumes. What are the schools that are top choices?
ISL is the way to go, no worries about PG's..but very competitive to gain a spot at Milton, Thayer, Lawrence,Rivers, Sebs, Belmont Hill. There is also a huge difference between gaining a spot and stepping on the ice in a game.
Depends on what you are looking for but hard to argue with ISL schools for a great education. Hockey focused add Kimball Union, Salisbury, Cushing

anon
anon
Anon
Glad someone finally pointed this out. So let\\\'s assume 03 wants prep around Boston area, not an argument about FS hockey or economics/resumes. What are the schools that are top choices?
ISL is the way to go, no worries about PG\'s..but very competitive to gain a spot at Milton, Thayer, Lawrence,Rivers, Sebs, Belmont Hill. There is also a huge difference between gaining a spot and stepping on the ice in a game.
Depends on what you are looking for but hard to argue with ISL schools for a great education. Hockey focused add Kimball Union, Salisbury, Cushing
Agree, but he was looking for Boston area.

anon
anon
Anon
Glad someone finally pointed this out. So let\\\'s assume 03 wants prep around Boston area, not an argument about FS hockey or economics/resumes. What are the schools that are top choices?
ISL is the way to go, no worries about PG\'s..but very competitive to gain a spot at Milton, Thayer, Lawrence,Rivers, Sebs, Belmont Hill. There is also a huge difference between gaining a spot and stepping on the ice in a game.
What about Nobles and Dexter?

You all sound like a bunch of 5 year olds.

It's pretty simple, if the kid is driven and wants to succeed they will do it from anywhere, Prep or Public.

What HS you attended when you were 16 means very little when you're applying for a job at 35. Are you qualified, are you a good person, do you work hard, etc....all of this starts at home.

Raise the kids well and push them to succeed. For some, that may mean kicking them out the door at 14 and shipping them off to prep school....for others (like me) I'm going raise my own kid and do the job myself.

curious...

It's pretty simple, if the kid is driven and wants to succeed they will do it from anywhere, Prep or Public.

What HS you attended when you were 16 means very little when you're applying for a job at 35. Are you qualified, are you a good person, do you work hard, etc....all of this starts at home.

Raise the kids well and push them to succeed. For some, that may mean kicking them out the door at 14 and shipping them off to prep school....for others (like me) I'm going raise my own kid and do the job myself.

With all due respect, I hope your realize that a number of articles have been done on this topic and if you can get into a top academic prep, it will absolutely make a difference with where you are at 35. The difference being at 35, one person is applying for a mid level management job while the other a VP position. Forgetting about hockey completely, if your son can get into Groton, Nobles, Phillips, Choate, etc., on average, they will far exceed the lifetime earnings of their peers.

anon
curious...

It\'s pretty simple, if the kid is driven and wants to succeed they will do it from anywhere, Prep or Public.

What HS you attended when you were 16 means very little when you\'re applying for a job at 35. Are you qualified, are you a good person, do you work hard, etc....all of this starts at home.

Raise the kids well and push them to succeed. For some, that may mean kicking them out the door at 14 and shipping them off to prep school....for others (like me) I\'m going raise my own kid and do the job myself.

With all due respect, I hope your realize that a number of articles have been done on this topic and if you can get into a top academic prep, it will absolutely make a difference with where you are at 35. The difference being at 35, one person is applying for a mid level management job while the other a VP position. Forgetting about hockey completely, if your son can get into Groton, Nobles, Phillips, Choate, etc., on average, they will far exceed the lifetime earnings of their peers.
They don't realize. Which is what led to the debate. If you prepped it absolutely comes up at 35. You WANT it to come up.

anon
curious...

It\\\'s pretty simple, if the kid is driven and wants to succeed they will do it from anywhere, Prep or Public.

What HS you attended when you were 16 means very little when you\\\'re applying for a job at 35. Are you qualified, are you a good person, do you work hard, etc....all of this starts at home.

Raise the kids well and push them to succeed. For some, that may mean kicking them out the door at 14 and shipping them off to prep school....for others (like me) I\\\'m going raise my own kid and do the job myself.

Cite one article that shows the difference to be the prep schools and not family money and family connections or some other aspect that the prep school didn't create. The top prep schools send so many graduates to ivy colleges because they accept the kids who are already on an ivy track. Prep can be a great experience but they are not turning average Joes into CEOs.

Bingo, especially in today’s generation. Schools mean very little for kids not coming from money. Drive, focus and humility will be EVERYTHING!

I have a few 35 year old preppers that went to great hipster liberal arts colleges (HC, Bates, Bowdoin) - all mid level sales guys....none of them bright....all of them good athletes

Anon
Bingo, especially in today’s generation. Schools mean very little for kids not coming from money. Drive, focus and humility will be EVERYTHING!

I have a few 35 year old preppers that went to great hipster liberal arts colleges (HC, Bates, Bowdoin) - all mid level sales guys....none of them bright....all of them good athletes
...that went Prep because of their athleticism.

That is still the minority of Prep school students.

Which, non-Prep parents don't get.

Anon
Anon

...that went Prep because of their athleticism.

That is still the minority of Prep school students.

Which, non-Prep parents don't get.
Agreed. Those guys make great sales guys. Most of those sales guys make as much money and work less then upper management. Whose to say the aren't the brightest. :)

It's all about " Knowing Thyself" and utilizing your strengths. Prep school is a great path athletically and academically. If it helps you become a better student and athlete and opens doors to a better college (Better , relative to your academic ceiling) and a high paying sales position ( Ditto) that is a success story. Don't have to be the brightest guy in the room to be successful, wealthy oh yeah happy too.

Anon
anon
curious...

It\\\\\\\'s pretty simple, if the kid is driven and wants to succeed they will do it from anywhere, Prep or Public.

What HS you attended when you were 16 means very little when you\\\\\\\'re applying for a job at 35. Are you qualified, are you a good person, do you work hard, etc....all of this starts at home.

Raise the kids well and push them to succeed. For some, that may mean kicking them out the door at 14 and shipping them off to prep school....for others (like me) I\\\\\\\'m going raise my own kid and do the job myself.

Cite one article that shows the difference to be the prep schools and not family money and family connections or some other aspect that the prep school didn't create. The top prep schools send so many graduates to ivy colleges because they accept the kids who are already on an ivy track. Prep can be a great experience but they are not turning average Joes into CEOs.
https://www.forbes.com/2010/04/29/best-prep-schools-2010-opinions-private-education.html#e9fa72050277

Since you probably aren't really going to read the article, let's look at it another way. A business degree from Harvard, on average, is worth more than a degree from UMass to a students life time earnings. Overall acceptance rate at Harvard is 5%-6% of all applicants. The acceptance rate at Harvard for Groton School graduates is over 20%, same is true of Nobles @ Brown, Choate @ Yale, etc.

You are right, sitting to right of your son in history class at Groton is the son of some wealthy CxO who is likely to become your sons friend, giving him a seat at the table for the rest of his life. Maybe not right next to CxO offspring but not far away. The UMass kid can earn a seat at the table but your son got to his seat easier & faster thanks to his connections. There are lots of prep schools and they all aren't created equal but if your son can get accepted to one of the true elites,

anon
Anon
anon
curious...

It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s pretty simple, if the kid is driven and wants to succeed they will do it from anywhere, Prep or Public.

What HS you attended when you were 16 means very little when you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re applying for a job at 35. Are you qualified, are you a good person, do you work hard, etc....all of this starts at home.

Raise the kids well and push them to succeed. For some, that may mean kicking them out the door at 14 and shipping them off to prep school....for others (like me) I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m going raise my own kid and do the job myself.

Cite one article that shows the difference to be the prep schools and not family money and family connections or some other aspect that the prep school didn\'t create. The top prep schools send so many graduates to ivy colleges because they accept the kids who are already on an ivy track. Prep can be a great experience but they are not turning average Joes into CEOs.
https://www.forbes.com/2010/04/29/best-prep-schools-2010-opinions-private-education.html#e9fa72050277

Since you probably aren't really going to read the article, let's look at it another way. A business degree from Harvard, on average, is worth more than a degree from UMass to a students life time earnings. Overall acceptance rate at Harvard is 5%-6% of all applicants. The acceptance rate at Harvard for Groton School graduates is over 20%, same is true of Nobles @ Brown, Choate @ Yale, etc.

You are right, sitting to right of your son in history class at Groton is the son of some wealthy CxO who is likely to become your sons friend, giving him a seat at the table for the rest of his life. Maybe not right next to CxO offspring but not far away. The UMass kid can earn a seat at the table but your son got to his seat easier & faster thanks to his connections. There are lots of prep schools and they all aren't created equal but if your son can get accepted to one of the true elites,
That article doesn't provide evidence to support, or even assert as opinion, that prep schools are taking average kids and turning them into ivy league college students. Roughly 70% of the kids at every prep are full pay kids from rich families and will be FP college applicants. Many have parents who attended elite colleges and have been active members of alumni groups. Many of the parents also attended prep and have been lifelong donors to their prep school and elite colleges. Roughly 30% of admitted prep students have a family member who attended the school. Your main point is that prep provides better contacts than other options. With all due respect, that is hardly insightful. Whether it is worth the price of admission is debatable.

OK we get the Pros/Cons

But what Prep loaded up with 03/04's and repeats?

Lot of kids didn’t get shown the money by preps. Makes parents who’ve been hyping kids since mites sad.

Many middle class families all in the same situation. Tuition of 65k, school given 35-40k..still 25-30k per year.

Anon
Many middle class families all in the same situation. Tuition of 65k, school given 35-40k..still 25-30k per year.
I'm an executive, my wife is a nurse, we were told we make to much money (150K) for aid but the schools agreed we couldn't afford full tuition. Thanks for nothing Private School.

anon
Anon
I'm an executive, my wife is a nurse, we were told we make to much money (150K) for aid but the schools agreed we couldn't afford full tuition. Thanks for nothing Private School.
If you'r wife is a nurse and your family income is $150K you're not an "executive." Unless you left off a zero.

anon
anon
Anon
I\'m an executive, my wife is a nurse, we were told we make to much money (150K) for aid but the schools agreed we couldn\'t afford full tuition. Thanks for nothing Private School.
If you'r wife is a nurse and your family income is $150K you're not an "executive." Unless you left off a zero.
Thanks..I'll let HR know my title is incorrect.

anon
anon
anon
Anon
I\\\'m an executive, my wife is a nurse, we were told we make to much money (150K) for aid but the schools agreed we couldn\\\'t afford full tuition. Thanks for nothing Private School.
If you\'r wife is a nurse and your family income is \$150K you\'re not an \"executive.\" Unless you left off a zero.
Thanks..I'll let HR know my title is incorrect.
I feel like Jeff Foxworthy. If you base what you do on the title assigned to your role by HR, you're not an executive.

Too bad your "TITLE" got cut...:laughing: :laughing: :man:

Do schools ever give full tuition for athletes?

Anon
Do schools ever give full tuition for athletes?

Not only based on Athletics, but if you have Athletics, Academics, and Financial need, then some schools have been given grants to fund kids fully. I believe Cushing did it this year with grant money they received and few others. Schools Tuition has increased over the past 10 years and the Financial grants have stayed steady and with more and more athletes particularly in ice hockey applying to these schools many families end up disappointed with 30K fee where others have no problem with that or even full pay. Not getting into a Prep is by no means the end of your kids athletic journey, find a good FS team where he can develop athletically both on and off the ice. You have to remember a vast majority of these kids will be trying out for the same JR spots in a few years and the evaluators don't care where you came from, they only care if you produce on the ice and your character off the ice. Good luck and look forward to seeing all these kids in the next few years!

The route to college hockey is ridiculous. Make the sport more accessible to inner city kids and quickly watch the full-pay prep boys lose their built-in advantage.

anon
The route to college hockey is ridiculous. Make the sport more accessible to inner city kids and quickly watch the full-pay prep boys lose their built-in advantage.
Money is certainly part of the equation but there doesn't seem to be much cultural interest for the sport in the inner-city.

A better game would be Lacrosse and their 50 man college rosters. You tell me if you took every D-3 running back, CB, TE, QB, LB, safety . . . college football recruit from the inner city and handed then a stick their junior year of high school if that sport wouldn't change in less than 5 years. Country club boys play it while you can, athletes might just be coming!

anon
A better game would be Lacrosse and their 50 man college rosters. You tell me if you took every D-3 running back, CB, TE, QB, LB, safety . . . college football recruit from the inner city and handed then a stick their junior year of high school if that sport wouldn't change in less than 5 years. Country club boys play it while you can, athletes might just be coming!
I have no doubt this could happen but again I wonder how much interest there is for the sport?

Soccer and track get more interest than lax and baseball in most inner-city schools.

Anon
anon
A better game would be Lacrosse and their 50 man college rosters. You tell me if you took every D-3 running back, CB, TE, QB, LB, safety . . . college football recruit from the inner city and handed then a stick their junior year of high school if that sport wouldn\'t change in less than 5 years. Country club boys play it while you can, athletes might just be coming!
I have no doubt this could happen but again I wonder how much interest there is for the sport?

Soccer and track get more interest than lax and baseball in most inner-city schools.
This conversation is picking up some racial undertones, so let's ease up a bit. Not all African American athletes are in the inner city, not all white athletes are from country clubs.

LAX and track are never going to supplant the Big 3 sports among inner city athletes. There's too little pro money to be attractive. The goal of the inner city athlete isn't college. College is a hindrance more than anything.

anon
Anon
anon
A better game would be Lacrosse and their 50 man college rosters. You tell me if you took every D-3 running back, CB, TE, QB, LB, safety . . . college football recruit from the inner city and handed then a stick their junior year of high school if that sport wouldn\\\'t change in less than 5 years. Country club boys play it while you can, athletes might just be coming!

This conversation is picking up some racial undertones, so let's ease up a bit. Not all African American athletes are in the inner city, not all white athletes are from country clubs.

LAX and track are never going to supplant the Big 3 sports among inner city athletes. There's too little pro money to be attractive. The goal of the inner city athlete isn't college. College is a hindrance more than anything.
Sorry. Not trying to go there and your point is correct.

There are more than a few non-white athletes in the 'burbs but to be honest I don't see very many playing lax or hockey. That's certainly not to say they couldn't but maybe there isn't a comfort level for them to want to play?

Re: Prep School Decisionsa.

anon
Anon
anon
A better game would be Lacrosse and their 50 man college rosters. You tell me if you took every D-3 running back, CB, TE, QB, LB, safety . . . college football recruit from the inner city and handed then a stick their junior year of high school if that sport wouldn\\\'t change in less than 5 years. Country club boys play it while you can, athletes might just be coming!

Dude are you for real?? You say there is a racial undertone and then suggest that academics are a hindrance to the inner city athlete. Ok

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
A better game would be Lacrosse and their 50 man college rosters. You tell me if you took every D-3 running back, CB, TE, QB, LB, safety . . . college football recruit from the inner city and handed then a stick their junior year of high school if that sport wouldn\\\\\\\'t change in less than 5 years. Country club boys play it while you can, athletes might just be coming!

This conversation is picking up some racial undertones, so let\'s ease up a bit. Not all African American athletes are in the inner city, not all white athletes are from country clubs.

LAX and track are never going to supplant the Big 3 sports among inner city athletes. There\'s too little pro money to be attractive. The goal of the inner city athlete isn\'t college. College is a hindrance more than anything.
Dude are you for real?? You say there is a racial undertone and then suggest that academics are a hindrance to the inner city athlete. Ok
The impact of inner city socioeconomics aren't bounded by race. You could accuse me of being a snob by saying that kids from inner city schools are less likely to go to college, if it weren't consistent with pretty much every study ever done.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon
A better game would be Lacrosse and their 50 man college rosters. You tell me if you took every D-3 running back, CB, TE, QB, LB, safety . . . college football recruit from the inner city and handed then a stick their junior year of high school if that sport wouldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t change in less than 5 years. Country club boys play it while you can, athletes might just be coming!

This conversation is picking up some racial undertones, so let\\'s ease up a bit. Not all African American athletes are in the inner city, not all white athletes are from country clubs.

LAX and track are never going to supplant the Big 3 sports among inner city athletes. There\\'s too little pro money to be attractive. The goal of the inner city athlete isn\\'t college. College is a hindrance more than anything.
The impact of inner city socioeconomics aren't bounded by race. You could accuse me of being a snob by saying that kids from inner city schools are less likely to go to college, if it weren't consistent with pretty much every study ever done.
You are grouping every African American kid in one category, ala " AAU" type athletes. That professor is down rght racist and pretty comical considering you scolded another for speaking accurately. So Mr Fancy pants take your fancy talk and your fake studies and head down to the cape

Truth is if you are a middle class white family and your kid is a B+ student and plays 2-3 sports you have no shot at affording prep school. You end up making to much for good financial, but if you are poor as dirt and have some behavioral problems, then you have a good chance at getting in and getting the grant you need. System is broken, but diversity is what they are looking for...GO BOY SCOUTS!

anon
Truth is if you are a middle class white family and your kid is a B+ student and plays 2-3 sports you have no shot at affording prep school. You end up making to much for good financial, but if you are poor as dirt and have some behavioral problems, then you have a good chance at getting in and getting the grant you need. System is broken, but diversity is what they are looking for...GO BOY SCOUTS!
Dirt poor and a stud athlete, good student and character with great potential then yes, they will many times give you a lit of aid. Behavoral problems? Not so much!! Unless it is a specialized school which typically are not the ones with strong athletic programs.

Something tells me you were not pleased with your awards package?

Anon
anon
Dirt poor and a stud athlete, good student and character with great potential then yes, they will many times give you a lit of aid. Behavoral problems? Not so much!! Unless it is a specialized school which typically are not the ones with strong athletic programs.

Something tells me you were not pleased with your awards package?
Luckily we did receive what we needed right on the number but so many good kids/ families did not. 25-30k is impossible for any middle class family.

Going back a few weeks in this thread, but I love how people think that simply sitting in class with future power brokers at a prep school is somehow going to help your son's career. The same way playing on a team with a D1 commit is going to make your player more attractive to an NHL team. You either have the skills and the drive to succeed or you don't, in sports and in business.

Very true!