The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oh no, guess who’s applying to your school?

Some real characters looking to go the prep route. Do these coaches do their homework? Some parents from the Parent Problem hall of fame looking to put on the cardigan sweater and do some parents weekends visiting junior . Coach, you have no idea what lies ahead.

Re: Oh no, guess who’s applying to your school?

Do tell.....What schools??

Anon
Some real characters looking to go the prep route. Do these coaches do their homework? Some parents from the Parent Problem hall of fame looking to put on the cardigan sweater and do some parents weekends visiting junior . Coach, you have no idea what lies ahead.
You do know there is an interview process for the student and parents correct? You know the coach also meets with them?
You know there is a parents part of the application? Coaches and admission staff have done this for along time and yes they do their homework, I’m sure if there
Is/was a red flag, they will find it. You do your job and we will do ours.

SNAP!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

Phew! Thank goodness. Because as we all know, lunatic parents would show their true colors in a 15 minute interview where they are essentially begging for $50k. I’m sure no one tries to pulll the wool over anyone’s eyes in an interview. Heck, you got into college my guess is you fooled them in your interview.

Anon
Phew! Thank goodness. Because as we all know, lunatic parents would show their true colors in a 15 minute interview where they are essentially begging for $50k. I’m sure no one tries to pulll the wool over anyone’s eyes in an interview. Heck, you got into college my guess is you fooled them in your interview.
15 minute interview! That’s hilarious..at least act like you have been there before. FYI, you can ask for full Tuition if you want but the higher end schools are strictly needs based.
Your financial aid application and 3 years of tax forms and paystubs determine your aid. Cmon, let’s talk facts.

Anon
Anon
15 minute interview! That’s hilarious..at least act like you have been there before. FYI, you can ask for full Tuition if you want but the higher end schools are strictly needs based.
Your financial aid application and 3 years of tax forms and paystubs determine your aid. Cmon, let’s talk facts.
You are talking high end schools, he is not. We've all seen families that are not traditional prep school material looking to go that route, don't deny it. Are the prep schools lowering the bar to compete for hockey players, or is this the way it has always been?

anon
Anon
Anon
You are talking high end schools, he is not. We've all seen families that are not traditional prep school material looking to go that route, don't deny it. Are the prep schools lowering the bar to compete for hockey players, or is this the way it has always been?
Prep School is still school with the main focus being education, discipline, and opportunity. Yes, the top 3 or 4 kids on any of the varsity sports are heavily recruited, but the rest of the athletes on those teams are kids good enough to earn the opportunity. Parents have to understand that we drool over a kid with high academic esteem compared to a good athlete that is mediocre in the classroom. College Matriculation is crucial to schools, we would much rather send kids to high end colleges than to Jr Hockey, there are schools for that, do your research.

anon
anon
Anon
Anon
You are talking high end schools, he is not. We\'ve all seen families that are not traditional prep school material looking to go that route, don\'t deny it. Are the prep schools lowering the bar to compete for hockey players, or is this the way it has always been?
Prep School is still school with the main focus being education, discipline, and opportunity. Yes, the top 3 or 4 kids on any of the varsity sports are heavily recruited, but the rest of the athletes on those teams are kids good enough to earn the opportunity. Parents have to understand that we drool over a kid with high academic esteem compared to a good athlete that is mediocre in the classroom. College Matriculation is crucial to schools, we would much rather send kids to high end colleges than to Jr Hockey, there are schools for that, do your research.
I love the refernce to " WE". Shouldn't you be doing the 15 minute interview?

Have seen a ton of it this year. Many of these schools have turned the recruiting process for hockey players to that of the old EHF / E9 with dads making calls on behalf of the coach, etc. " XYZ" school is all over my kid. Really? I promise that the parents of the kid that is really being recruited are sitting back minding their own business at the high school game watching their kid. Where as, the bad apple dad is the guy making calls to schools selling his kid and telling people how many schools are " all over his kid". Another promise is I guarantee he isnt saying that ST Pauls, Groton or similar elite schools are the schools that are " all over his kid". Guess why........:ice_hockey_stick_and_puck: :-1:

anon
anon
Anon
Anon
You are talking high end schools, he is not. We\'ve all seen families that are not traditional prep school material looking to go that route, don\'t deny it. Are the prep schools lowering the bar to compete for hockey players, or is this the way it has always been?
Listen you condescending POS, if you're so smart, why did you capitalize the "M" in matriculation?

Hopefully you did not graduate from the school that you represent.

The guy was trying to make a point and you took it personal, got your prep-panties in a bunch and became a d-bag. Lighten up.

Or better yet, good luck next year with that nightmare parent the guy was trying to warn you about.

Anon
anon
anon
Anon
Anon
You are talking high end schools, he is not. We\\\'ve all seen families that are not traditional prep school material looking to go that route, don\\\'t deny it. Are the prep schools lowering the bar to compete for hockey players, or is this the way it has always been?
Listen you condescending POS, if you're so smart, why did you capitalize the "M" in matriculation?

Hopefully you did not graduate from the school that you represent.

The guy was trying to make a point and you took it personal, got your prep-panties in a bunch and became a d-bag. Lighten up.

Or better yet, good luck next year with that nightmare parent the guy was trying to warn you about.
1. Spellcheck
2. I didn't go to prep school or college, I went to high school and then Desert Storm.
3. Did not take anything personal, just trying to give facts about the process for prep school admissions and that schools do their homework and pick kids/families that are a fit.
4. 99.9% of athletes parents calm down once the applicant is accepted and it is made clear that all correspondence is now done through the student.

Do your research parents. It's not just about the school, but who's going to it. It's not hard to do. It's the same process you have been doing all these years in youth hockey trying to find out which players are going to what teams The only difference now is this time your asking what school instead of which team. We have eliminated a few schools because of this reason alone.

In your research you may also find out that the schools you think are "elite" are no so "elite" anymore.

Very good analogy. It seems like there are only about 5 or 6 Elite schools out there any way. No coincidence these schools are not out chasing kids.

And you know where 99 percent of them will be in the future. Yes, having a beer with my kid that got cut in men's league. But keep shooting for that 1 percent because chances are if your on the DBoard, your kid will get cut.

Henry
And you know where 99 percent of them will be in the future. Yes, having a beer with my kid that got cut in men's league. But keep shooting for that 1 percent because chances are if your on the DBoard, your kid will get cut.
Oh misinformed poor Henry

We have enough ehf/e9 players, elites from Canada and their families who can afford expensive SUVs and full tuition of prep schools. Schools are more keen to spend funds to pay their own teachers' children (to retain the teachers) or music/art type with less resource.

Anon
We have enough ehf/e9 players, elites from Canada and their families who can afford expensive SUVs and full tuition of prep schools. Schools are more keen to spend funds to pay their own teachers' children (to retain the teachers) or music/art type with less resource.
Yes. I love the guys who say their kid was "recruited" to play prep hockey and you just know they are full pay. I would imagine a full pay hockey player is a pretty nice coup for a coach, especially if he can play a little. Coach probably gets credit for catching that fish.

Found out about one kid telling people he was going to one school, pulled my kids application. Some of these guys are so bad that I don’t want to dread going to campus the next 4 years.

The coaches can be lazy, they are relying more and more on current Dad's network of friends to recruit players from. It's about to catch up with them.

When is OK to reach out to a coach that you have already meet and interviewed with?

Anon
When is OK to reach out to a coach that you have already meet and interviewed with?
Once your application is complete it is OK for the parent to reach out to the coach and discuss.

This is real guys, some known " problems" have been sniffing around the prep circuit the past 3 months. A prep coach can seriously put his success at a school in jeopardy if he makes a bad decision on a recruit. People will avoid these schools and if you have a kid there, you should be concerned.

Sound familiar?

"The goalie is struggling"
"The D sucks"
"Move the puck "
"Coach doesnt know what he is doing "
"Preps are all over my kid "
"Coach, whats your cell #, I got a question,,,,,,"
"My kid is top in the state of _______"
"I want my kid on a line with _____"
"Hey, who you playing with in the spring?, hmmmm, it's only October, why you asking that"
"I'm not coming back next year"
"I think my kid can play D1"
"My kid could play prep right now"
Same perrson since mites has made at least 10 hockey / gossip calls a day.

YUCK..........

Most coaches at prep and club are lazy. Not paid enough to give the right amount of time to recruiting and actual coaching (on and off-ice). Unfortunately most of these coaches are can’t teach, only roll talent through lines. Club and mid to low level prep the worst. Sell job money grabs.

Anon
Most coaches at prep and club are lazy. Not paid enough to give the right amount of time to recruiting and actual coaching (on and off-ice). Unfortunately most of these coaches are can’t teach, only roll talent through lines. Club and mid to low level prep the worst. Sell job money grabs.
So where the non lazy coaches? League?

Anon
Anon
So where the non lazy coaches? League?
exactly... in youth it is daddy coaches, in public HS it is teachers looking for some extra cash, now prep are 'lazy', oh lets not forget that D1 college coaches (once thought as the holy grail) 'infest' their rosters with buddies and friends of friends...

Is the cardigan reference a fashion choice slam or in reference to the school? I am curious but also confused by this post. On one end if a school was going to accept a bunch of "problem" kids that would not be the greatest culture to go into but it depends on what you mean by "problem". Attitude, bullying, lazy, drugs or talent, coachability? Not sure what you are talking about.

In my opinion there are things out of your control on every team and any situation you step into in life. At some point you need to learn how to handle things, make the best of situations and rise above. If your family can make a school work and you feel that its a great fit (teachers, reputation, hockey) why would who else goes make a difference. The schools we have seen do not appear to be easily changed by a kid or two.

I am Canadian so apologies as I do not know the culture of hockey that well in your area. Ours is very competitive and we have some prep schools and little to no highschool hockey. We like the prep school path for the education focus but still allowing for hockey.

People think we're slow cuz we're from Canada, eh...