High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BCHL - December 1st

Lots of US kids bailing

BCHL is a good option for New England kids if they are willing to go. Play in a high level league and not loose college eligibility. More and more kids are going to be taking this path.

Anon
BCHL is a good option for New England kids if they are willing to go. Play in a high level league and not loose college eligibility. More and more kids are going to be taking this path.
I think most people here are familiar with the benefits of playing junior hockey.

Anon
Anon
I think most people here are familiar with the benefits of playing junior hockey.
Don't be an idiot. Zero players from this area ever even thought of the BCHL as an option. Only in the last few years did you see players take that path.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Don't be an idiot. Zero players from this area ever even thought of the BCHL as an option. Only in the last few years did you see players take that path.
So, which is it? Zero, or only a few?

And I'm the idiot?

You're wrong if you think it's only a recent thing.

But, it is becoming more prevalent, because it is now essentially mandatory that a kid play junior before NCAA. Even at NESCAC schools, which traditionally took kids right out of Prep without asking them to defer until they are 21.

That's probably why you THINK it's recent.

Agree.

I would love to see the data but I bet high level D3 (NESCAC, SUNYAC, the Wisconsin league, etc.) age of incoming freshmen is same 20+ years old as D1 and a huge % are coming from juniors.

Might even be older on average because D1 does get some super high level 19 year olds and D3 probably has more kids who stick to the end of juniors because they are on the bubble of D1 or high-end D3 but I don't have any data to back that up.

There is definitely data at the D1 level that you can look up online that shows average age and also that for the 2019-2020 NCAA D1 Season just under 80% of all the incoming freshmen played in the USHL, NAHL or BCHL the season before. If you lump in USPHL (3%) and the other Canadian junior leagues (AJHL, OJHL, CCHL, SJHL and MJHL) you get all the way up to 93%. Kids going direct from Prep school to D1 was literally 2%.

So if you have to go to juniors and if 80% come from 3 specific leagues you're going to see people from this area trying to go to those three leagues including the BCHL.

Big question now though is does COVID blow this model up as I heard the BCHL is going pay to play and have to wonder if USHL and NAHL may have to do the same given fewer ticket sales. Might actually be a window for something on the East Coast to get started if people keep it small and competitive and run it for quality vs. max cash.

Anon
Agree.

I would love to see the data but I bet high level D3 (NESCAC, SUNYAC, the Wisconsin league, etc.) age of incoming freshmen is same 20+ years old as D1 and a huge % are coming from juniors.

Might even be older on average because D1 does get some super high level 19 year olds and D3 probably has more kids who stick to the end of juniors because they are on the bubble of D1 or high-end D3 but I don't have any data to back that up.

There is definitely data at the D1 level that you can look up online that shows average age and also that for the 2019-2020 NCAA D1 Season just under 80% of all the incoming freshmen played in the USHL, NAHL or BCHL the season before. If you lump in USPHL (3%) and the other Canadian junior leagues (AJHL, OJHL, CCHL, SJHL and MJHL) you get all the way up to 93%. Kids going direct from Prep school to D1 was literally 2%.

So if you have to go to juniors and if 80% come from 3 specific leagues you're going to see people from this area trying to go to those three leagues including the BCHL.

Big question now though is does COVID blow this model up as I heard the BCHL is going pay to play and have to wonder if USHL and NAHL may have to do the same given fewer ticket sales. Might actually be a window for something on the East Coast to get started if people keep it small and competitive and run it for quality vs. max cash.

Many BCHL and Junior A teams are already pay to play. Some teams don't charge, most do. BCHL teams also can charge players billet fees.

OJHL charges $1,800 a player as a league fee, for example. That money's got to come from somewhere.

Tuition may be $3,000 or $7,000, versus $10,000 for Tier III, and better players may be able to play for free, even if the team charges, but the days of Junior A being no tuition are largely gone.

I think what what you're referring to is, the BCHL has supposedly announced plans to charge $2K to $3K per month to practice in September - November in advance of the season starting.

I haven't personally seen that corroborated. I don't see it on the league site. The only one that has mentioned it is TJHN, and JK's a convicted felon with five years of jail time on his resume for fraud. It may be true, but I don't assume it to be true just because JK says it. His whole campaign to publicize that the border is closed to Imports is fueled by the fact he owns, or is somehow affiliated with a junior team in Poland and gets paid by other Eastern European teams to steer kids there.

And, I don't personally fault the BCHL teams for doing that. They have to cover expenses, and I have no issue with people making money. If I thought it would make my kid a better player more than playing, and if I could get him across the border, I would do it. And if the U.S. junior season really does dry up, which I don't think it will, I may still look into it. But, he has lots of U.S. options to explore first.