High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NA3HL or EHL

Anon
ANON
If those are your choices, you are not a very good player.
My son is 15 and those are his choices at the moment.
Why can’t he play U16?

Better check into practice schedules. Junior teams practice in the middle of the school day.

If for some reason he can’t play U16 look at the EHLP not EHL.

Anon
Anon
ANON
Why can’t he play U16?

Better check into practice schedules. Junior teams practice in the middle of the school day.

Yes we are changing gears due to the current school situation. We are fine with during the day. This would be a 1 year stop.

Anon
Anon
Anon
ANON
Why can’t he play U16?

Yes we are changing gears due to the current school situation. We are fine with during the day. This would be a 1 year stop.
Have you watched some EHL and NA3 games in person and decided that your 15 yo is ready? Most 15 yo boys are not physically ready to compete against 19 and 20 yo young men. U20 is a big jump from U14 or U16. And will those young men be a good influence on your boy on road trips? U16 FS is where he is most likely to be seen by a coach from a team you want him on next year. The college coaches looking at tier III junior teams are only looking at age-outs. Not saying you are making a mistake but for most 15 yo players it probably would be.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
ANON
Why can’t he play U16?

Have you watched some EHL and NA3 games in person and decided that your 15 yo is ready? Most 15 yo boys are not physically ready to compete against 19 and 20 yo young men. U20 is a big jump from U14 or U16. And will those young men be a good influence on your boy on road trips? U16 FS is where he is most likely to be seen by a coach from a team you want him on next year. The college coaches looking at tier III junior teams are only looking at age-outs. Not saying you are making a mistake but for most 15 yo players it probably would be.
Being 15 and playing Prep isn't much different than being 15 and playing Tier III junior. Prep may even be harder, depending on the level of Prep.

Big difference is, if he suits up and plays limited minutes at Prep he's still getting an education. If he's sitting in the stands game after game in junior because you bit off more than he was ready for, you're getting very little in terms of any ROI.

No behavioral difference, either. My kid had more teammates expelled from his Prep team than kicked off his junior team.

The EHL games I've seen were much rougher than any prep games I've seen. Maybe I just haven't watched enough games I guess. Don't know about NA3 because I haven't seen any games in that league. Pointless argument anyway because a 15yo kid being offered a spot on an EHL roster is probably being sold a spot on an EHLP team.

Anon
ANON
15? Find a good U16 program. It’s a much better step in the ladder for him, assuming he’s a top 6/ top 4 player.

Both are leagues with players destined to play D3. EHL has one D1 commit last year, a couple more the year before. I am not sure about the NA3. Im not putting down D3 hockey by any means, still some real good hockey and players at that level.

What if a player has a good start to his season and wants play higher level college hockey - should he look into getting (tendered) or wait a year and move on to another league? Is tendered a good process?

Anon
What if a player has a good start to his season and wants play higher level college hockey - should he look into getting (tendered) or wait a year and move on to another league? Is tendered a good process?
I don't think you quite understand what a "tender" is. Google Hockey Tender and read the first few items that come up.

And, you should get an advisor. If your kid is at that level, he needs good advice and representation. Don't listen to what people here say. They're mostly jealous because their kids don't need an advisor. Then you have the pompous asses whose kids ARE good and the think that entitles them to look down on other kids and leagues.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of advisors are big on talk and can't deliver. There are good ones out there, though.