Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New to Prep

Financial aid is need based, simple. Classless to try and brag about how much your kid gets. It is an outright lie and only an indication of how little you make. You submit financial information to get your number and the school then will look at your kids application and the coach will put in a good word, but in the end it will be to come close or meet your number. It is not to pay you to go there. My sons placement advisor (over 30 yrs in) said that anything over 50k is extremely rare and due to cost of schools rising yearly it makes it harder and harder even with aid.

Now if you go to a school that you don't need to board at that lowers your cost considerably to around 35 to 50 k range. If you are boarding you are 50 to 75 k. So its easy to say I pay 10k for my kid lol. Doesn't mean jack when you don't have context, also if your kid has other talents that helps them a lot especially in the classroom.

Nothing I hate more that BS being thrown out there about financial aid as there are many that want to believe its a meat market with coaches throwing money all over the place. It is not the case at all.

Its a value proposition. I see them feeding my kid, providing built in tutoring, small class sizes, networking he would never get in our local high school, access to top of the line athletic facilities, strength and conditioning coaches and tons of other experiences. It is a struggle but well worth it as long as he makes the most of it.

This is not true for all of prep. ISL schools, at least one division, is needs based only. They make it very clear. Other schools with large endowments (Andover, Exeter, St Pauls) will provide a lot more aid to the same kid depending on a) financial statements, b) how much they "need" the athlete. Other schools, KUA for example, tend to "need" future NHL players and find a way to make it regardless of a parents income - high or low.

Yes, all parents need to go through the same aid process, but from there a school determines how badly they want the kid (except ISL).

Anon
Financial aid is need based, simple. Classless to try and brag about how much your kid gets. It is an outright lie and only an indication of how little you make. You submit financial information to get your number and the school then will look at your kids application and the coach will put in a good word, but in the end it will be to come close or meet your number. It is not to pay you to go there. My sons placement advisor (over 30 yrs in) said that anything over 50k is extremely rare and due to cost of schools rising yearly it makes it harder and harder even with aid.

Now if you go to a school that you don't need to board at that lowers your cost considerably to around 35 to 50 k range. If you are boarding you are 50 to 75 k. So its easy to say I pay 10k for my kid lol. Doesn't mean jack when you don't have context, also if your kid has other talents that helps them a lot especially in the classroom.

Nothing I hate more that BS being thrown out there about financial aid as there are many that want to believe its a meat market with coaches throwing money all over the place. It is not the case at all.

Its a value proposition. I see them feeding my kid, providing built in tutoring, small class sizes, networking he would never get in our local high school, access to top of the line athletic facilities, strength and conditioning coaches and tons of other experiences. It is a struggle but well worth it as long as he makes the most of it.
This is only true for ISL schools.

Sorry you were not "advised" properly by your guy with 30 years in the business. McDonald's has been in business for more than 60 years. Still has below average food.

>Sorry you were not "advised" properly by your guy with 30 years in the business. McDonald's has been in business for more >than 60 years. Still has below average food.

Sorry your kid is still working at McDonald's after graduating at 20 from prep.

Anon

>Sorry you were not "advised" properly by your guy with 30 years in the business. McDonald's has been in business for more >than 60 years. Still has below average food.

Sorry your kid is still working at McDonald's after graduating at 20 from prep.
Awww,

Someone's feelings got hurt...

Not advised poorly at all. Just don't buy the amount of BS spewed by people on here. My son is just fine and I am more than happy paying what I pay. Could be less but also could be more. I don't doubt that some schools for some players will find ways around the formulas to incentivize families to chose their school. My issue is that this is not the norm. Those spots are for very elite players and most likely 1 to 2 year guys. It is a much smarter and safer expectation that you will need to pay and it will be more based on income than hockey. The hockey might help you get by the academics to make a case for acceptance. I dont pay people to give me advice if my kid is good enough he will get there and open his own doors. He has so far and I would trust the gentlemans advice who deals with the schools yearly over this forum.

You are spot on! My son goes to an isl school and we recieved financial aid that allowed us to send our son to the school. We still pay quite a bit but feel it is well worth it given all the opportunities available there. My 2 cents, if your child talented enough in what ever they do that they can get into one of these schools, send them! You will not regret it.

T Rump
Fake news! Nobody is paying 10k for prep.
Maybe the school doesn't think your kid is as good as you think he is...