High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Benefits of going to Prep school

The Network.

Its a great spot for student-athletes, small class sizes offer more hands on discussion based learning. Learning life skills by living on campus and learning how to take care of yourself, advocate for yourself and manage your time correctly. Having access to top facilities like gym and ice rinks. Seeing coaches everyday on and off the ice and in different settings really helps also, it becomes a different type of bond. My kids are your average B, B+ students who happen to be very good at athletics, Prep has opened so many opportunities for them. Hockey has been amazing also! Wish more people tried to take advantage of these institutions.

It's a great place to dump your kids when you're tired of raising them yourself and want them out of the house.

anon
It's a great place to dump your kids when you're tired of raising them yourself and want them out of the house.
Said the dropout

The biggest benefit I noticed was the fact that achievement was "cool" in the entire school community. The faculty, staff, and entire student body had genuine respect for productivity in academics, athletics, arts, etc. The kids are immersed in an environment where excellence in these areas is admired, vs. alternative environments were sagging your pants and mouthing off to teachers is cool!

Furthermore virtually every student is a contributor to the school community. There is very little, (almost none) dead wood. There are high expectations for your child, and most kids live up to them. It is a great opportunity if you can make it happen, do it!

Rink Doosh with a great name and a great posting(1:16PM)

Rink Doosh
The biggest benefit I noticed was the fact that achievement was "cool" in the entire school community. The faculty, staff, and entire student body had genuine respect for productivity in academics, athletics, arts, etc. The kids are immersed in an environment where excellence in these areas is admired, vs. alternative environments were sagging your pants and mouthing off to teachers is cool!

Furthermore virtually every student is a contributor to the school community. There is very little, (almost none) dead wood. There are high expectations for your child, and most kids live up to them. It is a great opportunity if you can make it happen, do it!
I second that! 100%

I would echo the positive comments on this thread. Our son was a mediocre student in a very poor school system. I have nothing but respect for the kids that are able to be successful in that environment but ours was not. Add in the late practice times, increasing need for specialized strength and conditioning training and tutoring to try to keep him from falling behind and it was a lot. We are glad he was able to make prep work and see that it works for him. That is not the case for all but I definitely encourage people to check it out. A kid with a solid GPA and loving his high school etc I get staying the course. There are good and bad about everything, thankfully our experience so far has been overwhelmingly good.

From a hockey perspective, with many schools locking down, your kids are missing an entire fall season and the winter season is looking bleak at best. Seeing this is a hockey board don't you feel like he is missing out on hockey opportunities right now? I know some Prep kids (most have verbal commitments or this is senior year) left for USHL or NAHL and do remote schooling until Winter season but the other 99% are just throwing a season away.

For this season you are typically in 1 of 3 scenarios if in prep.

1 - Schools not allowing you to do anything on campus or leave campus including skating on campus or playing split season away from campus. Many of these kids have elected to play split season and do schooling online. Govs, PEA, Andover as examples.

2 - Schools not allowing you to leave campus, but skating and coaching has already started. Coaches are allowed to run practices, kids are skating 3-4 times per week at minimum. Some schools including all of lakes region able to play "showcases" against other lakes region schools in October. Not hearing any kids / parents complaining about this option.

3 - Small minority haven't changed. Plenty of preps kids on rosters this past weekend.

Some seniors, both committed and non-committed have left. Those kids already had USHL / NAHL opportunities and may have left anyway.

anon
From a hockey perspective, with many schools locking down, your kids are missing an entire fall season and the winter season is looking bleak at best. Seeing this is a hockey board don't you feel like he is missing out on hockey opportunities right now? I know some Prep kids (most have verbal commitments or this is senior year) left for USHL or NAHL and do remote schooling until Winter season but the other 99% are just throwing a season away.
I have been asked that a number of times. My son attends a MA Prep school, boarding student, Jr year. We approached it as seeing its his JR year and with the recruiting dead periods it wasn't worth staying home or flying all over to find a spot for a few months only to return in November. He has at least 3 teammates who elected to not come back to campus, do remote learning, and are attending USHL training camps (this week I believe?) Not sure if they will come back at all if they make the squad?
The team has been skating just about everyday, the rink is open to them whenever they want, they are doing daily team off ice workouts, its the best option for my son at this point. Everyone in MA is in the same boat with this Covid stuff, not sure if CT or NH locking down Prep Schools when they return, so while he is missing out on some non recruited tournaments hes also getting daily coaching and skills which is just, if not more important for these kids. Not sure if I would have the same thought process if he was a Sr or PG but as everyone says these kids will play at least a year or two of Junior hockey at some level before moving on if its in the cards so we are just trying to stay the path.

For the sake of argument, let’s say your kid is Connor mcdavid. Would you be concerned about them “missing out” on an entire season? Point being that unless your kid is that good then I would not miss out on them getting a good education. Guys miss seasons with injuries so the lost season is always out b there. Most of these kids won’t end up lucky enough to have hockey be a career and the lucky few will still have a whole lifetime after they are done. This pandemic is a good thing as it’s a forced pumping of the breaks for those who are caught up in the constant hype a
Chasing exposure.

Network, Self Advocacy(this means to speak up/stand up/be responsible for yourself), Discipline, Time Management, Brotherhood, Girls, Discussion based/ hands on learning, Girls, endless athletic opportunities, coaching, college recruiting(academic and athletic), life skills (use a waher/dryer, be your own IT person, iron your clothes, make your bed, etc). My boy does not play first line, does not touch the power play, but he plays his role as a leader is respected by coaches, teachers, peers and has 2 more years to have his turn. Cant find a downside.

Bottom line is that your prep school kids in MA are not going to play a competitive game this season. Colleges will lose interest as more of a spotlight is put on midget and all FS teams in the area. We have seen a record number of boarding players leave prep this season at all the top MA schools and those kids are not returning now that USHL and NAHL have pushed the start of their season closer to November. You have kids leaving prep for NCDC opportunities, let that sink in. 6 of last years top 10 schools are loosing significant players in MA. Wait until Avon and Salisbury restrict their kids from leaving campus (announcement soon) and they realize their season will be cancelled.
For those that stay I wish you the best of luck with academics because hockey will not be a stepping stone for your in the coming years. #fcovid

You are right! Made a big mistake sending my kid back to prep. Could have played NCDC but couldn't make the practice and do classes. It really is not going to be a good year for the local prep guys...

Anon
You are right! Made a big mistake sending my kid back to prep. Could have played NCDC but couldn't make the practice and do classes. It really is not going to be a good year for the local prep guys...
Will the older Prep coaches even be on campus this year? Avon, Cushing to name a few? or any coach who is higher risk? Probably not. So you end paying for Prep school, having ice, but nobody to coach these players, No games, no college recruiting. Better off leaving now, find a FS team and try to do remote either at your school or at a public.

Repeat after me, PREP SCHOOL IS FOR BOOK WORMS AND TIN FOIL LIBERAL RETARDS.

There are no benefits unless you are a liberal or a book worm.

LOL I cant count how many times I have seen that same comment. I dont understand the tinfoil part but ok.
Cushing and KUA have been skating for weeks other schools have started as well. Would love to see these competitive games you speak of. To me its the same mediocre players running all over new england . Maybe this week will be your week guys, the right scout will be at the rink to discover you!

All of this crapping on prep is just fear and jealousy but that is nothing new.

Hows your decision to be a boarding student in MA going now? #taketheyearoff

Half the Cushing team left over the weekend...

Where did they go?

none
Where did they go?
they all go to my wiz team because we need help

none
Where did they go?
1 USHL, others 9-10: JrBruins, Islanders, Rats, Cyclones

You might be getting confused. If they are going to the Rats or Cyclones, those are split season teams. They may have left school to do remote schooling for the fall. They didn't actually leave the school.

Heard the 2 '04s were leaving school completely to go to the USHL...

anon
You might be getting confused. If they are going to the Rats or Cyclones, those are split season teams. They may have left school to do remote schooling for the fall. They didn't actually leave the school.
They have all left school for the fall and will return IF there is a regular season IF NOT they will remain remote and play FS somewhere. As of now 04's staying local ALL students still enrolled

Well a 16/17 year old making hockey decisions instead of school decisions should pan out well. Could someone remind me of the % of hockey players from cushing that have gone on to play professional hockey ? My guess is these are driven by parents who have already decided that they have the winning lottery ticket. Might as well buy that mansion now.

Why not relax and get your education, skate with the team and maybe get and stay healthy? I will never understand what a handful of games will mean in the long run.

Anon
Well a 16/17 year old making hockey decisions instead of school decisions should pan out well. Could someone remind me of the % of hockey players from cushing that have gone on to play professional hockey ? My guess is these are driven by parents who have already decided that they have the winning lottery ticket. Might as well buy that mansion now.

Why not relax and get your education, skate with the team and maybe get and stay healthy? I will never understand what a handful of games will mean in the long run.
Games = Exposure...Exposure = Contacts..Contacts = Scholarships..This is just what I am told.