Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Leave Prep for Jrs

This was a very frustrating year in prep. If he can go to the AJHL, he should. I bet every prep team will lose more players than usual to juniors out west and north this year. (I know ours will.)

I do t understand why everyone is in such a rush for your kid to play jr hockey. If your kid is an 03 I understand you have a choice to make, does he stay at prep or go, even then why not stay 1 more year, play and prepare for high level Jrs. 04 and younger, it makes no sense to leave school and sit on the bench. Stay, play, prepare.

Anon
I do t understand why everyone is in such a rush for your kid to play jr hockey. If your kid is an 03 I understand you have a choice to make, does he stay at prep or go, even then why not stay 1 more year, play and prepare for high level Jrs. 04 and younger, it makes no sense to leave school and sit on the bench. Stay, play, prepare.
So the 04's that are playing NTDP are better off playing Prep? Or the other top 04's that didn't make NDTP should play Prep?

If your 16 year old is good enough then play at the highest level you can. The days of "touching the puck more" are done. Have your kid play up and learn to make plays at a higher pace.

anon
Anon
So the 04's that are playing NTDP are better off playing Prep? Or the other top 04's that didn't make NDTP should play Prep?

If your 16 year old is good enough then play at the highest level you can. The days of "touching the puck more" are done. Have your kid play up and learn to make plays at a higher pace.
Sounds fun to watch others play! Sign me up

Yea playing time overrated. Sit on the bench or in the stands to watch the pace up front and close should translate. Dont worry about puck touches.

100% ; Log jam at all levels

ANON
100% ; Log jam at all levels
Another reason to stay put.

Education experience not so much. It is not a development league ; they expect 100% commitment on hockey. School education not a concern. Good Luck

I've heard of 4 leaving for BCHL next season early with maybe more to come. Preps already tightened up FA dollars to hockey kids; maybe worried about this trend in long run? Makes sense if it's T1 or T2 not T3...my kid goes if he gets a shot at Jrs as a jr or sr as his hockey skills gets him a D1 ticket not his prep diploma.

We have heard from 2 AJ teams and 2 BC teams but I don’t know how to find out information on these teams reputations, etc.. just like there are some poorly run programs in USHL there must be some in those leagues also but there’s much less info here in the states on these teams.

Why do Americans need to go to BCHL or AJHL or any Canadian leagues, aren’t there enough teams here in the states to grow and gain college interest?

Anon
Why do Americans need to go to BCHL or AJHL or any Canadian leagues, aren’t there enough teams here in the states to grow and gain college interest?
Yes there are but problem is there are too many Canadians and other countries filling them up now.

Will Canada even be open next year or at least the border open in time to start hockey season? I wouldn't trust that because the Canadian government has taken a much stricter approach in locking down their border.

Anon
Will Canada even be open next year or at least the border open in time to start hockey season? I wouldn't trust that because the Canadian government has taken a much stricter approach in locking down their border.
Exactly. Agree with the post to stay put for 1 more year. My sons best friend at school is a repeat 03, will be a senior next year and going through the same dilemma. Has options to go North (BCHL, not AJHL) but doubtful he will be able to due to boarder close, looking like a complete log jam in USHL and NAHL for next year. My advice would be to stay put, work azz off this offseason, play last year of Prep, move on to JR after that as a 19 year old. Lets see if I can take my own advice when my kid gets there! #planningishard

Anon
That's the biggest question. I don't get it, their players are allowed to cross to play here but ours can't... Plus they are so far behind on the vaccination process it's pathetic. USHL and NAHL need to really do something about this, no reason they can't block players until it's fair both ways.

Anon
One factor is style of play. With BCHL and AJHL you know exactly what you're going to get every game, with the exception of a few teams = up tempo, skilled, free-flowing games that are fun to play in.

In US, USHL is top dog, but there are plenty of teams/coaches that need to win, so they're very much of the "get it deep" mindset....and that's a drain/grind for young players who have options. NAHL certainly not better, as it's becoming an older and more physical league. NCDC top teams offer the closest thing to speed and flow, but there will be log jam there next year (again) as well.

I know BCHL has a rule that does not allow US players in as exports unless they've graduated high school (unless they're from CA). Does AJHL have similar rule? That may be a factor that keeps 04s and late 03s local.

There will be a mass exodus from boarding schools in New England next year. In the past 2 weeks we have heard from 20 families looking for other options (most ever during this time) as they don't want to send their kids back to a campus where they cant ever leave, have to wear a mask for all waking hours of the day and could possibly not have a hockey season again. In some cases head coaches were not there, assistant coaches were not there. There is not 1 hockey player in MA/CT/RI Prep that got better this year from on campus sessions.
With the Canadian boarder still in question, spots will be extremely limited here in USA but with that said, the competition of all the leagues might be the best since the early 90's!

Anon
There will be a mass exodus from boarding schools in New England next year. In the past 2 weeks we have heard from 20 families looking for other options (most ever during this time) as they don't want to send their kids back to a campus where they cant ever leave, have to wear a mask for all waking hours of the day and could possibly not have a hockey season again. In some cases head coaches were not there, assistant coaches were not there. There is not 1 hockey player in MA/CT/RI Prep that got better this year from on campus sessions.
With the Canadian boarder still in question, spots will be extremely limited here in USA but with that said, the competition of all the leagues might be the best since the early 90's!
This makes to much sense for the Dboard

My kid’s prep school already has 1 Canadian on the roster with 2 Montreal commits (Juniors) on the way.

Wrong
My kid’s prep school already has 1 Canadian on the roster with 2 Montreal commits (Juniors) on the way.
Yes, Canada is locked down worse than we are so they are trying to get spots at these schools not realizing they still wont play. Its such a mess. My sons school had 1 Canadian, stayed for a few months, left and never came back.

Leaving Prep next year..shhhh..dont tell, my son is playing in the PHL starting in April and hopefully will open some doors but there is no way he's going back to that prison.