Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Is it luck

anon
anon
anon
Of course stat lines in youth hockey are so accurate, and of course no one actually goes and watches. I mean the eyeball test of who creates, who defends, who skates better etc etc has nothing to do with evaluations of future potential. Yes, youth hockey stat lines and blood lines are all teams use to select players.

And since BC doesn\\\'t want the second kid, the rest of the hockey east and ecac coaches also conclude that well we shouldn\\\'t want him either.

Yep all makes sense to the eye of a youth hockey parent.
Seems like you know more than everyone here. Are you an actual scout or just a hockey parent like the rest of us with an overbearing opinion, or better yet an assistant coach that gets to wear the teams logo on a jacket but with zero say in any hockey operations. So what you are saying is that lineage plays no role, its all about who creates, who defends, who skates better etc etc..Good to know!
Just pointing out that you are an excuse maker. Believe your kid won't get looked at because the name on the jersey is not recognizable, then it will become reality.

There are about 300 kids on HE rosters and you've projected out that they are all thre because of lineage.

Ok fine. So it is.
I think that was covered -

""Then the rare 'head-and-shoulder kids.' They are the complete packages - size, skating, hands, IQ that coaches can't overlook. Early birthday kids who have stood-out on their own with a buzz about them since Peewees. Yes, they play on the right teams, coached-up along the way, continue to grow, continue to love the game and why not? They are told all along the way how special they are.""

Yeah there are 'head and shoulder kids' on HE rosters but there are also many who got there the old fashioned way - connections.

Reminds me of a recent HE player - Dad is a well known ex-NHL player, now assistant coach on a local D-1 college team, kid way in over his head at every level, statistically the worst defensemen in over a decade on his local D-I H.S. team, moves to prep showed some ability, moved to USHL, contentiously led teams in penalty minutes and minus rating, defensemen not on PP or PK so stat line pretty limited, undersized, + skater, zero hockey sense. . . most would say a disaster everywhere he played. Did it keep him from ice time at a prominent HE team? Nope. It happens, we have all seen it.

As the cream rises, it can often be difficult to tell the difference between players. Similar size, similar stats, they must be the same player, right? Player A might have a significantly higher hockey IQ and thus is raising the level of play for others on his line. The difference could be player A is more willing to battle along the boards than player B, or maybe they both are willing to battle but player B loses the battle far more often than he wins. Player A might be a solid two way player but Player B has a tendency to be slightly out of position in the defensive zone. BC might be looking for a left shot winger and the other player is a righty. Is one player a great student and the other has rocks between his ears? The coach might be telling others that player A is always working his tail off but player B is inconsistent. If they are really the same player than yes, it can simply be a matter of "I know the family" but no coach is wasting a scholarship slot for "family and friends", they simply don't have enough of them.

Hype certainly plays a roll, more so now and going forward then ever before. Scouting departments across all levels of hockey are changing significantly with much more reliance on iso tape than in person evaluations. The "if you are talented" requires that someone sees that player, I'm here to watch player A but I keep being drawn to player B sort of thing. You don't get that on an iso video making it more and more difficult for the unheralded player to be noticed. Everyone can make fun of guys like JC but if he's getting a few eyeballs on good players that were later bloomers, it's worth it.

At the highest levels, scouting is an inexact science. For example you need to look no further than local boy done good, C. Garland. Nobody had him tabbed him as a future NHL talent, he was "too small" there were questions about his work ethic and his decisions off the ice. He was ok his first two years in the Q but nothing spectacular and went undrafted during his first draft eligible year. Year 3, he lights up the scoreboard in the Q and Arizona takes him with a late round pick a year after every team said "no thanks". Today he's a solid NHL player. When you realize that most teams only hit on about 14% of their picks, I'm sure more than one scout is kicking himself for passing on him.

anon
As the cream rises, it can often be difficult to tell the difference between players. Similar size, similar stats, they must be the same player, right? Player A might have a significantly higher hockey IQ and thus is raising the level of play for others on his line. The difference could be player A is more willing to battle along the boards than player B, or maybe they both are willing to battle but player B loses the battle far more often than he wins. Player A might be a solid two way player but Player B has a tendency to be slightly out of position in the defensive zone. BC might be looking for a left shot winger and the other player is a righty. Is one player a great student and the other has rocks between his ears? The coach might be telling others that player A is always working his tail off but player B is inconsistent. If they are really the same player than yes, it can simply be a matter of "I know the family" but no coach is wasting a scholarship slot for "family and friends", they simply don't have enough of them.

Hype certainly plays a roll, more so now and going forward then ever before. Scouting departments across all levels of hockey are changing significantly with much more reliance on iso tape than in person evaluations. The "if you are talented" requires that someone sees that player, I'm here to watch player A but I keep being drawn to player B sort of thing. You don't get that on an iso video making it more and more difficult for the unheralded player to be noticed. Everyone can make fun of guys like JC but if he's getting a few eyeballs on good players that were later bloomers, it's worth it.

At the highest levels, scouting is an inexact science. For example you need to look no further than local boy done good, C. Garland. Nobody had him tabbed him as a future NHL talent, he was "too small" there were questions about his work ethic and his decisions off the ice. He was ok his first two years in the Q but nothing spectacular and went undrafted during his first draft eligible year. Year 3, he lights up the scoreboard in the Q and Arizona takes him with a late round pick a year after every team said "no thanks". Today he's a solid NHL player. When you realize that most teams only hit on about 14% of their picks, I'm sure more than one scout is kicking himself for passing on him.
Agreed. Spoke to a scout at a hockey east game two years ago. He was there to scout undrafted free agents but i asked him about two drafted players with similar stats. I asked if they were both NHL material and he said no. Player A had the explosive skating stride, especailly the first 2-3 strides, that player B did not have. Because of that, player B would not be able to keep up at the NHL level unless they improved that. But to the average joe they were similar and their stat lines were identical but clearly were not viewed as "interchangable". Looking a little deeper it was clear that many of player B's points were due to player A, not the other way around. Especially 5x5 points which are more important than PP.

Yes scouting is not exact. It's difficult to project, especially as kids are physicially developing. That's why many would want to push the draft to 19 or 20 versus 18. So if NHL drafts are difficult, scouting for college is even more difficult because kids are even younger.

If you want to know why your kid is not getting looks then ask for opinions. I'm sure this summer and fall NCAA blackout will be lifted. Email and call coaches. Approach at the rink. Be honest and ask for honest feedback on what your kid needs to improve on to be considered.

anon
anon
As the cream rises, it can often be difficult to tell the difference between players. Similar size, similar stats, they must be the same player, right? Player A might have a significantly higher hockey IQ and thus is raising the level of play for others on his line. The difference could be player A is more willing to battle along the boards than player B, or maybe they both are willing to battle but player B loses the battle far more often than he wins. Player A might be a solid two way player but Player B has a tendency to be slightly out of position in the defensive zone. BC might be looking for a left shot winger and the other player is a righty. Is one player a great student and the other has rocks between his ears? The coach might be telling others that player A is always working his tail off but player B is inconsistent. If they are really the same player than yes, it can simply be a matter of \"I know the family\" but no coach is wasting a scholarship slot for \"family and friends\", they simply don\'t have enough of them.

Hype certainly plays a roll, more so now and going forward then ever before. Scouting departments across all levels of hockey are changing significantly with much more reliance on iso tape than in person evaluations. The \"if you are talented\" requires that someone sees that player, I\'m here to watch player A but I keep being drawn to player B sort of thing. You don\'t get that on an iso video making it more and more difficult for the unheralded player to be noticed. Everyone can make fun of guys like JC but if he\'s getting a few eyeballs on good players that were later bloomers, it\'s worth it.

At the highest levels, scouting is an inexact science. For example you need to look no further than local boy done good, C. Garland. Nobody had him tabbed him as a future NHL talent, he was \"too small\" there were questions about his work ethic and his decisions off the ice. He was ok his first two years in the Q but nothing spectacular and went undrafted during his first draft eligible year. Year 3, he lights up the scoreboard in the Q and Arizona takes him with a late round pick a year after every team said \"no thanks\". Today he\'s a solid NHL player. When you realize that most teams only hit on about 14% of their picks, I\'m sure more than one scout is kicking himself for passing on him.
Agreed. Spoke to a scout at a hockey east game two years ago. He was there to scout undrafted free agents but i asked him about two drafted players with similar stats. I asked if they were both NHL material and he said no. Player A had the explosive skating stride, especailly the first 2-3 strides, that player B did not have. Because of that, player B would not be able to keep up at the NHL level unless they improved that. But to the average joe they were similar and their stat lines were identical but clearly were not viewed as "interchangable". Looking a little deeper it was clear that many of player B's points were due to player A, not the other way around. Especially 5x5 points which are more important than PP.

Yes scouting is not exact. It's difficult to project, especially as kids are physicially developing. That's why many would want to push the draft to 19 or 20 versus 18. So if NHL drafts are difficult, scouting for college is even more difficult because kids are even younger.

If you want to know why your kid is not getting looks then ask for opinions. I'm sure this summer and fall NCAA blackout will be lifted. Email and call coaches. Approach at the rink. Be honest and ask for honest feedback on what your kid needs to improve on to be considered.
Ask who? Experts like Cox or NeutralZone? Or College Assistant coaches who just constantly email you about their summer camp for the low price of $400.00! Hockey is the most ridiculous sport.

anon
anon
anon
As the cream rises, it can often be difficult to tell the difference between players. Similar size, similar stats, they must be the same player, right? Player A might have a significantly higher hockey IQ and thus is raising the level of play for others on his line. The difference could be player A is more willing to battle along the boards than player B, or maybe they both are willing to battle but player B loses the battle far more often than he wins. Player A might be a solid two way player but Player B has a tendency to be slightly out of position in the defensive zone. BC might be looking for a left shot winger and the other player is a righty. Is one player a great student and the other has rocks between his ears? The coach might be telling others that player A is always working his tail off but player B is inconsistent. If they are really the same player than yes, it can simply be a matter of \\\"I know the family\\\" but no coach is wasting a scholarship slot for \\\"family and friends\\\", they simply don\\\'t have enough of them.

Hype certainly plays a roll, more so now and going forward then ever before. Scouting departments across all levels of hockey are changing significantly with much more reliance on iso tape than in person evaluations. The \\\"if you are talented\\\" requires that someone sees that player, I\\\'m here to watch player A but I keep being drawn to player B sort of thing. You don\\\'t get that on an iso video making it more and more difficult for the unheralded player to be noticed. Everyone can make fun of guys like JC but if he\\\'s getting a few eyeballs on good players that were later bloomers, it\\\'s worth it.

At the highest levels, scouting is an inexact science. For example you need to look no further than local boy done good, C. Garland. Nobody had him tabbed him as a future NHL talent, he was \\\"too small\\\" there were questions about his work ethic and his decisions off the ice. He was ok his first two years in the Q but nothing spectacular and went undrafted during his first draft eligible year. Year 3, he lights up the scoreboard in the Q and Arizona takes him with a late round pick a year after every team said \\\"no thanks\\\". Today he\\\'s a solid NHL player. When you realize that most teams only hit on about 14% of their picks, I\\\'m sure more than one scout is kicking himself for passing on him.
Agreed. Spoke to a scout at a hockey east game two years ago. He was there to scout undrafted free agents but i asked him about two drafted players with similar stats. I asked if they were both NHL material and he said no. Player A had the explosive skating stride, especailly the first 2-3 strides, that player B did not have. Because of that, player B would not be able to keep up at the NHL level unless they improved that. But to the average joe they were similar and their stat lines were identical but clearly were not viewed as \"interchangable\". Looking a little deeper it was clear that many of player B\'s points were due to player A, not the other way around. Especially 5x5 points which are more important than PP.

Yes scouting is not exact. It\'s difficult to project, especially as kids are physicially developing. That\'s why many would want to push the draft to 19 or 20 versus 18. So if NHL drafts are difficult, scouting for college is even more difficult because kids are even younger.

If you want to know why your kid is not getting looks then ask for opinions. I\'m sure this summer and fall NCAA blackout will be lifted. Email and call coaches. Approach at the rink. Be honest and ask for honest feedback on what your kid needs to improve on to be considered.
Ask who? Experts like Cox or NeutralZone? Or College Assistant coaches who just constantly email you about their summer camp for the low price of $400.00! Hockey is the most ridiculous sport.
It's bitter parents like you that make kids give up sports.

anon
anon
anon
anon
As the cream rises, it can often be difficult to tell the difference between players. Similar size, similar stats, they must be the same player, right? Player A might have a significantly higher hockey IQ and thus is raising the level of play for others on his line. The difference could be player A is more willing to battle along the boards than player B, or maybe they both are willing to battle but player B loses the battle far more often than he wins. Player A might be a solid two way player but Player B has a tendency to be slightly out of position in the defensive zone. BC might be looking for a left shot winger and the other player is a righty. Is one player a great student and the other has rocks between his ears? The coach might be telling others that player A is always working his tail off but player B is inconsistent. If they are really the same player than yes, it can simply be a matter of \\\\\\\"I know the family\\\\\\\" but no coach is wasting a scholarship slot for \\\\\\\"family and friends\\\\\\\", they simply don\\\\\\\'t have enough of them.

Hype certainly plays a roll, more so now and going forward then ever before. Scouting departments across all levels of hockey are changing significantly with much more reliance on iso tape than in person evaluations. The \\\\\\\"if you are talented\\\\\\\" requires that someone sees that player, I\\\\\\\'m here to watch player A but I keep being drawn to player B sort of thing. You don\\\\\\\'t get that on an iso video making it more and more difficult for the unheralded player to be noticed. Everyone can make fun of guys like JC but if he\\\\\\\'s getting a few eyeballs on good players that were later bloomers, it\\\\\\\'s worth it.

At the highest levels, scouting is an inexact science. For example you need to look no further than local boy done good, C. Garland. Nobody had him tabbed him as a future NHL talent, he was \\\\\\\"too small\\\\\\\" there were questions about his work ethic and his decisions off the ice. He was ok his first two years in the Q but nothing spectacular and went undrafted during his first draft eligible year. Year 3, he lights up the scoreboard in the Q and Arizona takes him with a late round pick a year after every team said \\\\\\\"no thanks\\\\\\\". Today he\\\\\\\'s a solid NHL player. When you realize that most teams only hit on about 14% of their picks, I\\\\\\\'m sure more than one scout is kicking himself for passing on him.
Agreed. Spoke to a scout at a hockey east game two years ago. He was there to scout undrafted free agents but i asked him about two drafted players with similar stats. I asked if they were both NHL material and he said no. Player A had the explosive skating stride, especailly the first 2-3 strides, that player B did not have. Because of that, player B would not be able to keep up at the NHL level unless they improved that. But to the average joe they were similar and their stat lines were identical but clearly were not viewed as \\\"interchangable\\\". Looking a little deeper it was clear that many of player B\\\'s points were due to player A, not the other way around. Especially 5x5 points which are more important than PP.

Yes scouting is not exact. It\\\'s difficult to project, especially as kids are physicially developing. That\\\'s why many would want to push the draft to 19 or 20 versus 18. So if NHL drafts are difficult, scouting for college is even more difficult because kids are even younger.

If you want to know why your kid is not getting looks then ask for opinions. I\\\'m sure this summer and fall NCAA blackout will be lifted. Email and call coaches. Approach at the rink. Be honest and ask for honest feedback on what your kid needs to improve on to be considered.
It's bitter parents like you that make kids give up sports.
Bitter or Realistic? Its the only sport with 97 hoops to jump through in order to play in college, its Ludacris!

anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
As the cream rises, it can often be difficult to tell the difference between players. Similar size, similar stats, they must be the same player, right? Player A might have a significantly higher hockey IQ and thus is raising the level of play for others on his line. The difference could be player A is more willing to battle along the boards than player B, or maybe they both are willing to battle but player B loses the battle far more often than he wins. Player A might be a solid two way player but Player B has a tendency to be slightly out of position in the defensive zone. BC might be looking for a left shot winger and the other player is a righty. Is one player a great student and the other has rocks between his ears? The coach might be telling others that player A is always working his tail off but player B is inconsistent. If they are really the same player than yes, it can simply be a matter of \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"I know the family\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" but no coach is wasting a scholarship slot for \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"family and friends\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\", they simply don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t have enough of them.

Hype certainly plays a roll, more so now and going forward then ever before. Scouting departments across all levels of hockey are changing significantly with much more reliance on iso tape than in person evaluations. The \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"if you are talented\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" requires that someone sees that player, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m here to watch player A but I keep being drawn to player B sort of thing. You don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t get that on an iso video making it more and more difficult for the unheralded player to be noticed. Everyone can make fun of guys like JC but if he\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s getting a few eyeballs on good players that were later bloomers, it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s worth it.

At the highest levels, scouting is an inexact science. For example you need to look no further than local boy done good, C. Garland. Nobody had him tabbed him as a future NHL talent, he was \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"too small\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" there were questions about his work ethic and his decisions off the ice. He was ok his first two years in the Q but nothing spectacular and went undrafted during his first draft eligible year. Year 3, he lights up the scoreboard in the Q and Arizona takes him with a late round pick a year after every team said \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"no thanks\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". Today he\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s a solid NHL player. When you realize that most teams only hit on about 14% of their picks, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m sure more than one scout is kicking himself for passing on him.
Agreed. Spoke to a scout at a hockey east game two years ago. He was there to scout undrafted free agents but i asked him about two drafted players with similar stats. I asked if they were both NHL material and he said no. Player A had the explosive skating stride, especailly the first 2-3 strides, that player B did not have. Because of that, player B would not be able to keep up at the NHL level unless they improved that. But to the average joe they were similar and their stat lines were identical but clearly were not viewed as \\\\\\\"interchangable\\\\\\\". Looking a little deeper it was clear that many of player B\\\\\\\'s points were due to player A, not the other way around. Especially 5x5 points which are more important than PP.

Yes scouting is not exact. It\\\\\\\'s difficult to project, especially as kids are physicially developing. That\\\\\\\'s why many would want to push the draft to 19 or 20 versus 18. So if NHL drafts are difficult, scouting for college is even more difficult because kids are even younger.

If you want to know why your kid is not getting looks then ask for opinions. I\\\\\\\'m sure this summer and fall NCAA blackout will be lifted. Email and call coaches. Approach at the rink. Be honest and ask for honest feedback on what your kid needs to improve on to be considered.
It\'s bitter parents like you that make kids give up sports.
Bitter or Realistic? Its the only sport with 97 hoops to jump through in order to play in college, its Ludacris!
So you view it as an entitlement and are upset that you actually have to jump through hoops?

You are part of the problem and another obstacle that your kid has to overcome.

Anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
As the cream rises, it can often be difficult to tell the difference between players. Similar size, similar stats, they must be the same player, right? Player A might have a significantly higher hockey IQ and thus is raising the level of play for others on his line. The difference could be player A is more willing to battle along the boards than player B, or maybe they both are willing to battle but player B loses the battle far more often than he wins. Player A might be a solid two way player but Player B has a tendency to be slightly out of position in the defensive zone. BC might be looking for a left shot winger and the other player is a righty. Is one player a great student and the other has rocks between his ears? The coach might be telling others that player A is always working his tail off but player B is inconsistent. If they are really the same player than yes, it can simply be a matter of \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"I know the family\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" but no coach is wasting a scholarship slot for \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"family and friends\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\", they simply don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t have enough of them.

Hype certainly plays a roll, more so now and going forward then ever before. Scouting departments across all levels of hockey are changing significantly with much more reliance on iso tape than in person evaluations. The \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"if you are talented\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" requires that someone sees that player, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m here to watch player A but I keep being drawn to player B sort of thing. You don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t get that on an iso video making it more and more difficult for the unheralded player to be noticed. Everyone can make fun of guys like JC but if he\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s getting a few eyeballs on good players that were later bloomers, it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s worth it.

At the highest levels, scouting is an inexact science. For example you need to look no further than local boy done good, C. Garland. Nobody had him tabbed him as a future NHL talent, he was \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"too small\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" there were questions about his work ethic and his decisions off the ice. He was ok his first two years in the Q but nothing spectacular and went undrafted during his first draft eligible year. Year 3, he lights up the scoreboard in the Q and Arizona takes him with a late round pick a year after every team said \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"no thanks\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". Today he\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s a solid NHL player. When you realize that most teams only hit on about 14% of their picks, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m sure more than one scout is kicking himself for passing on him.
Agreed. Spoke to a scout at a hockey east game two years ago. He was there to scout undrafted free agents but i asked him about two drafted players with similar stats. I asked if they were both NHL material and he said no. Player A had the explosive skating stride, especailly the first 2-3 strides, that player B did not have. Because of that, player B would not be able to keep up at the NHL level unless they improved that. But to the average joe they were similar and their stat lines were identical but clearly were not viewed as \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"interchangable\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". Looking a little deeper it was clear that many of player B\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s points were due to player A, not the other way around. Especially 5x5 points which are more important than PP.

Yes scouting is not exact. It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s difficult to project, especially as kids are physicially developing. That\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s why many would want to push the draft to 19 or 20 versus 18. So if NHL drafts are difficult, scouting for college is even more difficult because kids are even younger.

If you want to know why your kid is not getting looks then ask for opinions. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m sure this summer and fall NCAA blackout will be lifted. Email and call coaches. Approach at the rink. Be honest and ask for honest feedback on what your kid needs to improve on to be considered.
It\\\'s bitter parents like you that make kids give up sports.
So you view it as an entitlement and are upset that you actually have to jump through hoops?

You think the unknown families act entitled? Are you crazy? They are asking for an opportunity, no entitlement. The entitled ones are the ones getting it handed to them because of Daddys bank account or lineage. If you don't see that then you are the problem. For every 1 unknown who gets a look there are 3 with some adult link to that school/program/coach. That's a fact and yes another hoop kids have to jump through.

anon
Anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
As the cream rises, it can often be difficult to tell the difference between players. Similar size, similar stats, they must be the same player, right? Player A might have a significantly higher hockey IQ and thus is raising the level of play for others on his line. The difference could be player A is more willing to battle along the boards than player B, or maybe they both are willing to battle but player B loses the battle far more often than he wins. Player A might be a solid two way player but Player B has a tendency to be slightly out of position in the defensive zone. BC might be looking for a left shot winger and the other player is a righty. Is one player a great student and the other has rocks between his ears? The coach might be telling others that player A is always working his tail off but player B is inconsistent. If they are really the same player than yes, it can simply be a matter of \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"I know the family\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" but no coach is wasting a scholarship slot for \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"family and friends\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\", they simply don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t have enough of them.

Hype certainly plays a roll, more so now and going forward then ever before. Scouting departments across all levels of hockey are changing significantly with much more reliance on iso tape than in person evaluations. The \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"if you are talented\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" requires that someone sees that player, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m here to watch player A but I keep being drawn to player B sort of thing. You don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t get that on an iso video making it more and more difficult for the unheralded player to be noticed. Everyone can make fun of guys like JC but if he\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s getting a few eyeballs on good players that were later bloomers, it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s worth it.

At the highest levels, scouting is an inexact science. For example you need to look no further than local boy done good, C. Garland. Nobody had him tabbed him as a future NHL talent, he was \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"too small\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" there were questions about his work ethic and his decisions off the ice. He was ok his first two years in the Q but nothing spectacular and went undrafted during his first draft eligible year. Year 3, he lights up the scoreboard in the Q and Arizona takes him with a late round pick a year after every team said \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"no thanks\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". Today he\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s a solid NHL player. When you realize that most teams only hit on about 14% of their picks, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m sure more than one scout is kicking himself for passing on him.
Agreed. Spoke to a scout at a hockey east game two years ago. He was there to scout undrafted free agents but i asked him about two drafted players with similar stats. I asked if they were both NHL material and he said no. Player A had the explosive skating stride, especailly the first 2-3 strides, that player B did not have. Because of that, player B would not be able to keep up at the NHL level unless they improved that. But to the average joe they were similar and their stat lines were identical but clearly were not viewed as \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"interchangable\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". Looking a little deeper it was clear that many of player B\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s points were due to player A, not the other way around. Especially 5x5 points which are more important than PP.

Yes scouting is not exact. It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s difficult to project, especially as kids are physicially developing. That\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s why many would want to push the draft to 19 or 20 versus 18. So if NHL drafts are difficult, scouting for college is even more difficult because kids are even younger.

If you want to know why your kid is not getting looks then ask for opinions. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m sure this summer and fall NCAA blackout will be lifted. Email and call coaches. Approach at the rink. Be honest and ask for honest feedback on what your kid needs to improve on to be considered.
It\\\\\\\'s bitter parents like you that make kids give up sports.

You think the unknown families act entitled? Are you crazy? They are asking for an opportunity, no entitlement. The entitled ones are the ones getting it handed to them because of Daddys bank account or lineage. If you don't see that then you are the problem. For every 1 unknown who gets a look there are 3 with some adult link to that school/program/coach. That's a fact and yes another hoop kids have to jump through.
Ok show me mone HE roster where 3/4 are lineage of some type? My kid plays HE. There is one kid on the team who has a parent who went to the school and none have parents who played college or above. But don't let the facts get in the way of your excuses.

anon
anon
Anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
As the cream rises, it can often be difficult to tell the difference between players. Similar size, similar stats, they must be the same player, right? Player A might have a significantly higher hockey IQ and thus is raising the level of play for others on his line. The difference could be player A is more willing to battle along the boards than player B, or maybe they both are willing to battle but player B loses the battle far more often than he wins. Player A might be a solid two way player but Player B has a tendency to be slightly out of position in the defensive zone. BC might be looking for a left shot winger and the other player is a righty. Is one player a great student and the other has rocks between his ears? The coach might be telling others that player A is always working his tail off but player B is inconsistent. If they are really the same player than yes, it can simply be a matter of \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"I know the family\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" but no coach is wasting a scholarship slot for \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"family and friends\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\", they simply don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t have enough of them.

Hype certainly plays a roll, more so now and going forward then ever before. Scouting departments across all levels of hockey are changing significantly with much more reliance on iso tape than in person evaluations. The \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"if you are talented\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" requires that someone sees that player, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m here to watch player A but I keep being drawn to player B sort of thing. You don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t get that on an iso video making it more and more difficult for the unheralded player to be noticed. Everyone can make fun of guys like JC but if he\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s getting a few eyeballs on good players that were later bloomers, it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s worth it.

At the highest levels, scouting is an inexact science. For example you need to look no further than local boy done good, C. Garland. Nobody had him tabbed him as a future NHL talent, he was \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"too small\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" there were questions about his work ethic and his decisions off the ice. He was ok his first two years in the Q but nothing spectacular and went undrafted during his first draft eligible year. Year 3, he lights up the scoreboard in the Q and Arizona takes him with a late round pick a year after every team said \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"no thanks\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". Today he\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s a solid NHL player. When you realize that most teams only hit on about 14% of their picks, I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m sure more than one scout is kicking himself for passing on him.
Agreed. Spoke to a scout at a hockey east game two years ago. He was there to scout undrafted free agents but i asked him about two drafted players with similar stats. I asked if they were both NHL material and he said no. Player A had the explosive skating stride, especailly the first 2-3 strides, that player B did not have. Because of that, player B would not be able to keep up at the NHL level unless they improved that. But to the average joe they were similar and their stat lines were identical but clearly were not viewed as \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"interchangable\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". Looking a little deeper it was clear that many of player B\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s points were due to player A, not the other way around. Especially 5x5 points which are more important than PP.

Yes scouting is not exact. It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s difficult to project, especially as kids are physicially developing. That\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s why many would want to push the draft to 19 or 20 versus 18. So if NHL drafts are difficult, scouting for college is even more difficult because kids are even younger.

If you want to know why your kid is not getting looks then ask for opinions. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m sure this summer and fall NCAA blackout will be lifted. Email and call coaches. Approach at the rink. Be honest and ask for honest feedback on what your kid needs to improve on to be considered.
It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s bitter parents like you that make kids give up sports.

You think the unknown families act entitled? Are you crazy? They are asking for an opportunity, no entitlement. The entitled ones are the ones getting it handed to them because of Daddys bank account or lineage. If you don\'t see that then you are the problem. For every 1 unknown who gets a look there are 3 with some adult link to that school/program/coach. That\'s a fact and yes another hoop kids have to jump through.
Ok show me mone HE roster where 3/4 are lineage of some type? My kid plays HE. There is one kid on the team who has a parent who went to the school and none have parents who played college or above. But don't let the facts get in the way of your excuses.

Ok, how did your kid get to hockey east? You mean to tell us you didn't know someone to get the opportunity.

Knew no one. Was scouted in hs/prep. Invited to USAH summer camps. Drafted and played a year in USHL.

If you look at HE rosters that's the story for most kids.

anon
Knew no one. Was scouted in hs/prep. Invited to USAH summer camps. Drafted and played a year in USHL.

If you look at HE rosters that's the story for most kids.
Not the guy your going back and forth with but if your kid is in HE, what are you doing on a high school discussion board?

anon
anon

If you look at HE rosters that\'s the story for most kids.
Not the guy your going back and forth with but if your kid is in HE, what are you doing on a high school discussion board?
Been entertained by the dboard since mite minor. Never disappoints.

anon
Yes you are all right. Every coach at the NCAA level and every GM at the pro level only want players with names or connections. They don't care about winning or how bringing up those players will impact the teams ability to win or thier career.

Sure, whatever it takes to justify that your kid really just isn't good enough.
One in every crowd. Live it for a while, see it for a couple decades and this rosy view of the world goes south in the real world.

Anon
Watched so much hockey this year on video, FS, Prep, Jrs, is it luck that some kids get college looks, is it connections? Watching these games and seeing BC, BU, ND, UMASS etc.. next to some of these kids names that are no different than the kids without commitments. I don’t get it? What is that gets those kids opportunities that the others do not? In prep they seem to be puck hogs and just try to go end to end like mites, in FS they seem to lack hockey IQ, and Jrs they are good so I have no idea why player 1 is committed but player 2 is not.
Its not all luck - it most likely your lacking ability to scout a player. These kids on BC/BU/UMASS are different than kids without commitments. They are better. They do the little things better. The funnel shrinks and the line between good and great is fine but its there. There is a lot more to hockey than scoring goals.

Don’t overlook the off ice stuff and character. Plays a big role in kids that are visually equal on the ice.

Coaches and scouts are going with the player that works harder in the weight room and off season, has better character and is more coachable every time. Even if the other kid may have the slight skill advantage.

Another thing we have learned recently. Is why some kids are getting prep offers over other kids who may be a tad better.

Well I know everyone want to specialize in hockey. But all the schools asked what other sports he played. And let me tell you. The better options came from schools that had two coaches interested in him.

Covid has really screwed up recruiting which is also contributing to younger kids "not getting looks". Everything is delayed. The transfer portal is packed and will get much deeper. Seniors who just finished four years can now play another year as a grad transfer. Kids who didn't get much ice time can transfer without sitting out. If my kid were going through this again I'd have him finish HS here and then go to USHL or Junior A and worry about comittments then because getting looks today isn't going to mean much. A number of articles and posts out there talking about the mess this off season will be.

--->>>Ok show me one HE roster where 3/4 are lineage of some type? My kid plays HE. There is one kid on the team who has a parent who went to the school and none have parents who played college or above. But don't let the facts get in the way of your excuses.<<<---

Someone here posted the BC roster here 5-6 years ago and the number was something like 80% of the kids had hockey family connections. NHL dads, NHL front office, Dad's who had played in the program. . . the list was really eye opening.

anon
--->>>Ok show me one HE roster where 3/4 are lineage of some type? My kid plays HE. There is one kid on the team who has a parent who went to the school and none have parents who played college or above. But don't let the facts get in the way of your excuses.<<<---

Someone here posted the BC roster here 5-6 years ago and the number was something like 80% of the kids had hockey family connections. NHL dads, NHL front office, Dad's who had played in the program. . . the list was really eye opening.
Rosters are still available so I’m sure you will pull that up for everyone and point out the 20+ kids on the roster with NHL ties.

Here is the current roster at BC, BU, Umass Click on the name and read the Personal Info, you can form your own opinion if these guys just "made it themselves" or if Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Uncle, had some influence.

https://bceagles.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster/2020-21
https://goterriers.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster
https://umassathletics.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster

Anon
Here is the current roster at BC, BU, Umass Click on the name and read the Personal Info, you can form your own opinion if these guys just "made it themselves" or if Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Uncle, had some influence.

Results are what matters. Those teams are elite. Kills your argument regardless oh who their great uncle might be.

Anon
Anon
Here is the current roster at BC, BU, Umass Click on the name and read the Personal Info, you can form your own opinion if these guys just \"made it themselves\" or if Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Uncle, had some influence.

Results are what matters. Those teams are elite. Kills your argument regardless oh who their great uncle might be.
Ok, look at the other HE teams. Proves the guys point. Look at the current commits, same thing.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Here is the current roster at BC, BU, Umass Click on the name and read the Personal Info, you can form your own opinion if these guys just \\\"made it themselves\\\" or if Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Uncle, had some influence.

Ok, look at the other HE teams. Proves the guys point. Look at the current commits, same thing.
Who?? Which team? Give me one that is mostly connections?

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Here is the current roster at BC, BU, Umass Click on the name and read the Personal Info, you can form your own opinion if these guys just \\\\\\\"made it themselves\\\\\\\" or if Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Uncle, had some influence.

Who?? Which team? Give me one that is mostly connections?
I'm curious, for all that think the system is rigged, it's all about your last name, etc.

How many kids per year do you think are signing LOI to D-I schools for hockey?

How many kids are playing U-20/U-18/HS/Prep hockey in the US & Canada?

With a pool that's more than 150X the size needed to choose from, do you really believe that a coach making 200-400 thousand per year, whose ability to keep that job is dependent upon on ice performance, is simply looking at last names or calling up his old drinking buddies to send their kids over?

For those that say, look at the last name, I say genetics, better training, and better coaching from day 1.

I get it, we've all spent a ton of money and time in supporting our kids in chasing their dream (or in some cases, your dreams) and it's hard to come to grips with the fact that our kid's aren't making the cut and moving to the next level. Rather than blaming the system, just take pride in what your player has accomplished in the sport. If you are reading this than chances are your player is 16+ which means he's accomplished more in the game than 50% of the kids that he first skated with in Mites. He's worked hard, learned how to be a good teammate, manage his time, and displays a commitment most kids his age don't and therefor is more prepared for the realities of the corporate world than his peers.

People aren't saying its rigged, they are saying that since scouting is a crapshoot, and requires a lot of time and effort to scout a player properly, when all other things seem equal, they will choose the player with the family bloodline speculating that they have been around the game more, were taught properly by their dad, and also have the genes to play at high level. Some argue that its a lazier approach for the scout to assume that, and that the scouts are taking shortcuts. Who knows.

anon
People aren't saying its rigged, they are saying that since scouting is a crapshoot, and requires a lot of time and effort to scout a player properly, when all other things seem equal, they will choose the player with the family bloodline speculating that they have been around the game more, were taught properly by their dad, and also have the genes to play at high level. Some argue that its a lazier approach for the scout to assume that, and that the scouts are taking shortcuts. Who knows.

I think D1 is 100% rigged and all complete BS. D3 is where its at.

Anon
anon

Rosters are still available so I’m sure you will pull that up for everyone and point out the 20+ kids on the roster with NHL ties.
Read um and weep. I think the number is closer to 75% than 80%

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/911/boston-college/2016-2017

Its a shame, some really good hockey players from New England just wont get an opportunity. Play Prep or high level Midget, go to Jrs for a year or 2, then age out or go D3 as a 21 year old Freshman is the path for many of us poor souls.
Sad.

So 5 years ago BC had a bunch of legacy players so that means my kid can't make it? Where's the numbers for the "all of college hockey is rigged" conclusion? What are your numbers in the aggregate for BC/BU/Umass/PC/NE/Harvard today? Still think your kid can't make it cause of his name or is it just the reality that it might be hard, merit based and he is probably just not going to be good enough.

Nice try.

Sorry your kid won't make it.

anon
Sorry your kid won't make it.
Thanks man, hes pretty upset.

Kids are often more resilient than their parents.

anon
So 5 years ago BC had a bunch of legacy players so that means my kid can't make it? Where's the numbers for the "all of college hockey is rigged" conclusion? What are your numbers in the aggregate for BC/BU/Umass/PC/NE/Harvard today? Still think your kid can't make it cause of his name or is it just the reality that it might be hard, merit based and he is probably just not going to be good enough.
Correct, your kid will not make it just like mine wont. Watch the frozen 4 tournament this weekend, take a shot every time you hear the commentators say "his dad", "his mom", "his uncle", "his brother", etc.. I watched 1 period so far and am already 1/2 in the bag, gonna be a long day!

Why cause the kids are good and yours will never be able to play at that level?

Anon
Why cause the kids are good and yours will never be able to play at that level?
ummmm...obviously thats why

This is a great thread. Its an argument since I played college in the 90s. My son is on the older side, still at Prep and has not talked with 1 College team for 1 reason and that's because he is not ready. The jam in college hockey recruiting is the best thing that could happen for my kid, gives him another year of Prep to play and grow. I see no problem with a kid going to college at 21 or now 22 due to this crazy year. Why talk to a school when your are not ready, makes no sense, and I feel the verbal stuff hurts the kid, other schools lose interest, an 18 year old may be a bit different at 21/22, why commit to a place when you wont be there for a few years when you have 60 other options. Play, grow, process.

anon
This is a great thread. Its an argument since I played college in the 90s. My son is on the older side, still at Prep and has not talked with 1 College team for 1 reason and that's because he is not ready. The jam in college hockey recruiting is the best thing that could happen for my kid, gives him another year of Prep to play and grow. I see no problem with a kid going to college at 21 or now 22 due to this crazy year. Why talk to a school when your are not ready, makes no sense, and I feel the verbal stuff hurts the kid, other schools lose interest, an 18 year old may be a bit different at 21/22, why commit to a place when you wont be there for a few years when you have 60 other options. Play, grow, process.
Agree with ya. No rush, there are 100 college players in the transfer portal.. nobody concerned with an 18 year old at this point.

It is fixed and you have to be lucky at the same time. Many D1 players aren’t that skilled. Big, fast and work hard. Most teams have 1 skill line and 3 meathead lines. Raise a meathead. If your kid isn’t big, lower your expectations. Unless the kid is a ringer. They always get looks. Scouts don’t work hard. That’s a fact. They rely on coaches and ex players for tips.

My son has another year of prep left and after watching the college hockey tournament with 23/24 year old men playing most of the game in good with him hopefully committing at 19/20 and going into College at 21/22. Trust the process!

Larry
It is fixed and you have to be lucky at the same time. Many D1 players aren’t that skilled. Big, fast and work hard. Most teams have 1 skill line and 3 meathead lines. Raise a meathead. If your kid isn’t big, lower your expectations. Unless the kid is a ringer. They always get looks. Scouts don’t work hard. That’s a fact. They rely on coaches and ex players for tips.
All I see here are angry parents who can't come to the realization that their kid isn't good enough. I really like the comment, "Many D1 players aren’t that skilled", maybe your kid isn't that skilled? The vast majority of D1 players have a couple of skills that a college scout considers Elite, whether it be skating, IQ, compete level, etc., and it's projected to the next level. MY kid just finished his D1 college career last season, nobody on either side of my family played hockey, he wasn't even a rink rat, and played baseball in the summer, and he was undersized for his position. His greatest skill was his athleticism, and hockey IQ. Even though he signed an AHL deal last Spring, he suffered another injury, and is walking away from the game (not easy). To play DI, you have to have a couple of skills that is above the rest, and character goes a long way, something most of parents on here or short of.

The “if you are good they will find you” and the “lineage” arguments are so overrated it is not even funny. The odds are against you, and you have to work relentlessly to be seen and be in the recruiting coaches mind. If you are good enough to play D1 they might or might not find you. If you are head and shoulders above your peers they will. If you have an NHL name it helps, everyone else fir every roster spot there are probably just 100 kids that are as good as you are.

Good luck.

Anon
Larry
All I see here are angry parents who can't come to the realization that their kid isn't good enough. I really like the comment, "Many D1 players aren’t that skilled", maybe your kid isn't that skilled? The vast majority of D1 players have a couple of skills that a college scout considers Elite, whether it be skating, IQ, compete level, etc., and it's projected to the next level. MY kid just finished his D1 college career last season, nobody on either side of my family played hockey, he wasn't even a rink rat, and played baseball in the summer, and he was undersized for his position. His greatest skill was his athleticism, and hockey IQ. Even though he signed an AHL deal last Spring, he suffered another injury, and is walking away from the game (not easy). To play DI, you have to have a couple of skills that is above the rest, and character goes a long way, something most of parents on here or short of.
Yup, your kid was just a unicorn that a scout saw at public skate and had to have. Played town hockey and D3 high school didn’t know anyone in the game and it just happened, BAM, D1.

My son has began emailing coaches, he's had 50 schools respond. So does he have shot or are they just polite?

So basically every school in the country has responded? or are you talking D3 as well?

Many will respond, especially now with recruiting blackouts but you never know what the outcomes might be. It's like applying for jobs. You throw the net wide. You might be qualified to work at every company but not all have openings/needs.

Same for colleges. They are competing for the elite player but the player can only go to one school, so the others move to the next guy on their list.

Some schools have specific needs. Maybe they need a depth and PK guy and your kid fits that need. You never know. You keep playing, improving and you never know when your at the right place at the right time with a shool that has a need.

I will say i agree with that post about the need to be extremely patient. The transfer portal will create chaos and that's where teams are focusing for next year.

anon
So basically every school in the country has responded? or are you talking D3 as well?

Many will respond, especially now with recruiting blackouts but you never know what the outcomes might be. It's like applying for jobs. You throw the net wide. You might be qualified to work at every company but not all have openings/needs.

Same for colleges. They are competing for the elite player but the player can only go to one school, so the others move to the next guy on their list.

Some schools have specific needs. Maybe they need a depth and PK guy and your kid fits that need. You never know. You keep playing, improving and you never know when your at the right place at the right time with a shool that has a need.

I will say i agree with that post about the need to be extremely patient. The transfer portal will create chaos and that's where teams are focusing for next year.
Only reached out to D1 schools so far. D3 coaches came right out and said they were looking to talk with 00 and 01s at this point and my son is only 18. I guess its a good start and will just stay in communications with them until they stop responding or invite to campus.