Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Is it luck

anon
Sorry your kid won't make it.
Thanks man, hes pretty upset.

Kids are often more resilient than their parents.

anon
So 5 years ago BC had a bunch of legacy players so that means my kid can't make it? Where's the numbers for the "all of college hockey is rigged" conclusion? What are your numbers in the aggregate for BC/BU/Umass/PC/NE/Harvard today? Still think your kid can't make it cause of his name or is it just the reality that it might be hard, merit based and he is probably just not going to be good enough.
Correct, your kid will not make it just like mine wont. Watch the frozen 4 tournament this weekend, take a shot every time you hear the commentators say "his dad", "his mom", "his uncle", "his brother", etc.. I watched 1 period so far and am already 1/2 in the bag, gonna be a long day!

Why cause the kids are good and yours will never be able to play at that level?

Anon
Why cause the kids are good and yours will never be able to play at that level?
ummmm...obviously thats why

This is a great thread. Its an argument since I played college in the 90s. My son is on the older side, still at Prep and has not talked with 1 College team for 1 reason and that's because he is not ready. The jam in college hockey recruiting is the best thing that could happen for my kid, gives him another year of Prep to play and grow. I see no problem with a kid going to college at 21 or now 22 due to this crazy year. Why talk to a school when your are not ready, makes no sense, and I feel the verbal stuff hurts the kid, other schools lose interest, an 18 year old may be a bit different at 21/22, why commit to a place when you wont be there for a few years when you have 60 other options. Play, grow, process.

anon
This is a great thread. Its an argument since I played college in the 90s. My son is on the older side, still at Prep and has not talked with 1 College team for 1 reason and that's because he is not ready. The jam in college hockey recruiting is the best thing that could happen for my kid, gives him another year of Prep to play and grow. I see no problem with a kid going to college at 21 or now 22 due to this crazy year. Why talk to a school when your are not ready, makes no sense, and I feel the verbal stuff hurts the kid, other schools lose interest, an 18 year old may be a bit different at 21/22, why commit to a place when you wont be there for a few years when you have 60 other options. Play, grow, process.
Agree with ya. No rush, there are 100 college players in the transfer portal.. nobody concerned with an 18 year old at this point.

It is fixed and you have to be lucky at the same time. Many D1 players aren’t that skilled. Big, fast and work hard. Most teams have 1 skill line and 3 meathead lines. Raise a meathead. If your kid isn’t big, lower your expectations. Unless the kid is a ringer. They always get looks. Scouts don’t work hard. That’s a fact. They rely on coaches and ex players for tips.

My son has another year of prep left and after watching the college hockey tournament with 23/24 year old men playing most of the game in good with him hopefully committing at 19/20 and going into College at 21/22. Trust the process!

Larry
It is fixed and you have to be lucky at the same time. Many D1 players aren’t that skilled. Big, fast and work hard. Most teams have 1 skill line and 3 meathead lines. Raise a meathead. If your kid isn’t big, lower your expectations. Unless the kid is a ringer. They always get looks. Scouts don’t work hard. That’s a fact. They rely on coaches and ex players for tips.
All I see here are angry parents who can't come to the realization that their kid isn't good enough. I really like the comment, "Many D1 players aren’t that skilled", maybe your kid isn't that skilled? The vast majority of D1 players have a couple of skills that a college scout considers Elite, whether it be skating, IQ, compete level, etc., and it's projected to the next level. MY kid just finished his D1 college career last season, nobody on either side of my family played hockey, he wasn't even a rink rat, and played baseball in the summer, and he was undersized for his position. His greatest skill was his athleticism, and hockey IQ. Even though he signed an AHL deal last Spring, he suffered another injury, and is walking away from the game (not easy). To play DI, you have to have a couple of skills that is above the rest, and character goes a long way, something most of parents on here or short of.

The “if you are good they will find you” and the “lineage” arguments are so overrated it is not even funny. The odds are against you, and you have to work relentlessly to be seen and be in the recruiting coaches mind. If you are good enough to play D1 they might or might not find you. If you are head and shoulders above your peers they will. If you have an NHL name it helps, everyone else fir every roster spot there are probably just 100 kids that are as good as you are.

Good luck.

Anon
Larry
All I see here are angry parents who can't come to the realization that their kid isn't good enough. I really like the comment, "Many D1 players aren’t that skilled", maybe your kid isn't that skilled? The vast majority of D1 players have a couple of skills that a college scout considers Elite, whether it be skating, IQ, compete level, etc., and it's projected to the next level. MY kid just finished his D1 college career last season, nobody on either side of my family played hockey, he wasn't even a rink rat, and played baseball in the summer, and he was undersized for his position. His greatest skill was his athleticism, and hockey IQ. Even though he signed an AHL deal last Spring, he suffered another injury, and is walking away from the game (not easy). To play DI, you have to have a couple of skills that is above the rest, and character goes a long way, something most of parents on here or short of.
Yup, your kid was just a unicorn that a scout saw at public skate and had to have. Played town hockey and D3 high school didn’t know anyone in the game and it just happened, BAM, D1.

My son has began emailing coaches, he's had 50 schools respond. So does he have shot or are they just polite?

So basically every school in the country has responded? or are you talking D3 as well?

Many will respond, especially now with recruiting blackouts but you never know what the outcomes might be. It's like applying for jobs. You throw the net wide. You might be qualified to work at every company but not all have openings/needs.

Same for colleges. They are competing for the elite player but the player can only go to one school, so the others move to the next guy on their list.

Some schools have specific needs. Maybe they need a depth and PK guy and your kid fits that need. You never know. You keep playing, improving and you never know when your at the right place at the right time with a shool that has a need.

I will say i agree with that post about the need to be extremely patient. The transfer portal will create chaos and that's where teams are focusing for next year.

anon
So basically every school in the country has responded? or are you talking D3 as well?

Many will respond, especially now with recruiting blackouts but you never know what the outcomes might be. It's like applying for jobs. You throw the net wide. You might be qualified to work at every company but not all have openings/needs.

Same for colleges. They are competing for the elite player but the player can only go to one school, so the others move to the next guy on their list.

Some schools have specific needs. Maybe they need a depth and PK guy and your kid fits that need. You never know. You keep playing, improving and you never know when your at the right place at the right time with a shool that has a need.

I will say i agree with that post about the need to be extremely patient. The transfer portal will create chaos and that's where teams are focusing for next year.
Only reached out to D1 schools so far. D3 coaches came right out and said they were looking to talk with 00 and 01s at this point and my son is only 18. I guess its a good start and will just stay in communications with them until they stop responding or invite to campus.