The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ESPN Calls Out Mass Youth Hockey during National Championship Game

During the 3rd period, John Bucciograss (probably spelled wrong) made an observations that there wasn't one player on the UMass roster from Massachusetts that was dressed for last nights game. They do have a couple players from Mass on the roster but typically don't play much. Mean while BC has 8 players that reside in MA, BU 7, NU 12. Compare that to the State of Minnesota, UMD, UM, and St. Cloud rosters are primarily from Minnesota, interesting though Minnesota St. only has about 7 players on their roster from Minn. Looks like development working well in Mass :grimacing:

Re: ESPN Calls Out Mass Youth Hockey during National Championship Game

We all know the Mass model is broken but as long as there is money to be made it won’t change around here. I’ve seen more tryout notices from middle of the road club teams this year than ever before.

Ever look at a map and compare the percapita distribution of D1 programs? Kind of shallow to state that the makeup of rosters is meaningful in any way. If your a MN kid and you want to play locally you have 5 choices. In MA you have 10 in state and another 10 just across the state lines but closer together than the MN schools so obviously the rosters will have a different makeup. Umass has never recruited in state. Maybe that will change now but kids in the Boston area worth recruiting would rather play at the hockey east schools or harvard.

anon
Ever look at a map and compare the percapita distribution of D1 programs? Kind of shallow to state that the makeup of rosters is meaningful in any way. If your a MN kid and you want to play locally you have 5 choices. In MA you have 10 in state and another 10 just across the state lines but closer together than the MN schools so obviously the rosters will have a different makeup. Umass has never recruited in state. Maybe that will change now but kids in the Boston area worth recruiting would rather play at the hockey east schools or harvard.
Umass is a Hockey East team...kids in Mass still rather play for BC/BU/Harvard and probably NU before UMass. Will that change? Doubtful.

anon
anon
Umass is a Hockey East team...kids in Mass still rather play for BC/BU/Harvard and probably NU before UMass. Will that change? Doubtful.
This is spot on.
BC/BU/Harvard/NU are all far better academic institutions. Also consider the college environment of being Boston vs an isolated town that has always been considered a drunken backup school is huge.

Most hockey players probably aren't thinking about a career after college, but if a resume comes across your desk for a candidate from any of those 4 schools, they get the interview. The Umass resume is going in the backup folder.

Maybe they're doing that UMass kid a favor by dumping his resume. He got to play college hockey, ends up in a trade making more money than kids from the esteemed academic institutions you list + everybody is happy.

5-6 years ago when UMass hockey was really terrible and before the coaching change the lack of Mass kids was always a big DBoard topic. And the fact the old regime had scouts all over Europe, Canada and the eastern bloc looking for players when many Mass kids not only could have helped, but their parents had been supporting the school for decades by paying taxes in state. UMN for years had a policy that they could only roster one non-Minnesotan...ONE! Really the Mass hockey kids dream of playing in and winning the Beanpot and UMass isn't part of that.

I don't think I'd call BC/BU/NU are 'all far better academic institutions.' Yeah on average but the difference is getting smaller than old timers think.

I'll play on any team that will take me

anon

5-6 years ago when UMass hockey was really terrible and before the coaching change the lack of Mass kids was always a big DBoard topic. And the fact the old regime had scouts all over Europe, Canada and the eastern bloc looking for players when many Mass kids not only could have helped, but their parents had been supporting the school for decades by paying taxes in state. UMN for years had a policy that they could only roster one non-Minnesotan...ONE! Really the Mass hockey kids dream of playing in and winning the Beanpot and UMass isn't part of that.

I don't think I'd call BC/BU/NU are 'all far better academic institutions.' Yeah on average but the difference is getting smaller than old timers think.
THIS!

UMass already compares favorably in academics to NU and it’s not leaps and bounds beneath BC and BU. The school’s reputation started to improve under Billy Bulger of all people and it’s been creeping up ever since.

Anon
anon

THIS!

UMass already compares favorably in academics to NU and it’s not leaps and bounds beneath BC and BU. The school’s reputation started to improve under Billy Bulger of all people and it’s been creeping up ever since.
Guys, some of the players at these schools are dumber than a box of rocks. They are not recruited for their academia, they are recruited for playing hockey. Don't mix up the 2.

Anon
anon

5-6 years ago when UMass hockey was really terrible and before the coaching change the lack of Mass kids was always a big DBoard topic. And the fact the old regime had scouts all over Europe, Canada and the eastern bloc looking for players when many Mass kids not only could have helped, but their parents had been supporting the school for decades by paying taxes in state. UMN for years had a policy that they could only roster one non-Minnesotan...ONE! Really the Mass hockey kids dream of playing in and winning the Beanpot and UMass isn\'t part of that.

I don\'t think I\'d call BC/BU/NU are \'all far better academic institutions.\' Yeah on average but the difference is getting smaller than old timers think.
THIS!

I wish I could agree with you.
My son goes to NU and is a really smart kid. My daughter goes to zoomass and let's just say she gets her smarts from her mother.

Anon
Anon
anon

5-6 years ago when UMass hockey was really terrible and before the coaching change the lack of Mass kids was always a big DBoard topic. And the fact the old regime had scouts all over Europe, Canada and the eastern bloc looking for players when many Mass kids not only could have helped, but their parents had been supporting the school for decades by paying taxes in state. UMN for years had a policy that they could only roster one non-Minnesotan...ONE! Really the Mass hockey kids dream of playing in and winning the Beanpot and UMass isn\\\'t part of that.

I don\\\'t think I\\\'d call BC/BU/NU are \\\'all far better academic institutions.\\\' Yeah on average but the difference is getting smaller than old timers think.
THIS!

I wish I could agree with you.
My son goes to NU and is a really smart kid. My daughter goes to zoomass and let's just say she gets her smarts from her mother.
Roger that. There is a reason UMass is called 13th grade.

So the overall impression I'm getting from parents here on why there are no Mass players playing for UMass, is that the school isn't good enough academically for their little bender. Sorry folks, those guys playing for BC, BU, and even NU, aren't playing there for the academics either. Nice try though.

Anon
So the overall impression I'm getting from parents here on why there are no Mass players playing for UMass, is that the school isn't good enough academically for their little bender. Sorry folks, those guys playing for BC, BU, and even NU, aren't playing there for the academics either. Nice try though.
No the reason is that they don't recruit instate. Why spend your time and resources on the caliber of player you need to compete when you are more often than not going to lose them to the schools in the Boston area. Now that might change for some as they might go out there for the coaching but that would be the only reason.

I think they will more likely end up like PC after they won in 2015. They stay good and competetive but it's hard to stay on top. And now that the rumors of the coach going back to the NHL will circle every year, kids will be wary.

My take having been through this from a hiring side, a full tuition paying parent at a wide range of schools.

Locally the funny one is the before Flutie (BF) and for a decade or so after, BC grads who walk around like they attended an Ivy caliber institution when back then it was basically Marquette University or Xavier or a Loyola - nice but no top 50 school. Now it's a slightly better than average school but not a great academic institution.

NU it's all about the internships and the professional programs - not deep in high thought but effective in getting a kid through and getting a kid a career. Not high powered academics but professional career path.

BU, it's whatever you make it. Typical wide ranging school where you can get through and keep going if that's your interest.

UMass - old people don't know it but certain programs are highly regarded and as a whole it's moving up. Business or engineering student from NU or UMass? Toss-up today

anon
My take having been through this from a hiring side, a full tuition paying parent at a wide range of schools.

Locally the funny one is the before Flutie (BF) and for a decade or so after, BC grads who walk around like they attended an Ivy caliber institution when back then it was basically Marquette University or Xavier or a Loyola - nice but no top 50 school. Now it\'s a slightly better than average school but not a great academic institution.

NU it\'s all about the internships and the professional programs - not deep in high thought but effective in getting a kid through and getting a kid a career. Not high powered academics but professional career path.

BU, it\'s whatever you make it. Typical wide ranging school where you can get through and keep going if that\'s your interest.

UMass - old people don\'t know it but certain programs are highly regarded and as a whole it\'s moving up. Business or engineering student from NU or UMass? Toss-up today
Not buying it.
UMA does not have a top EE or ME program. It the E backup school.
UML has a top 5 CE and PE program.

No skin in this game, but UMass is a highly regarded State University compared to the same in other States. Remember, they have a Medical School too

Anon
No skin in this game, but UMass is a highly regarded State University compared to the same in other States. Remember, they have a Medical School too
The most famous graduate of the Umass medical school is Dr. J who played for the Sixers! :upside_down_face:

Anon
anon

Locally the funny one is the before Flutie (BF) and for a decade or so after, BC grads who walk around like they attended an Ivy caliber institution when back then it was basically Marquette University or Xavier or a Loyola - nice but no top 50 school. Now it\\\'s a slightly better than average school but not a great academic institution.

NU it\\\'s all about the internships and the professional programs - not deep in high thought but effective in getting a kid through and getting a kid a career. Not high powered academics but professional career path.

BU, it\\\'s whatever you make it. Typical wide ranging school where you can get through and keep going if that\\\'s your interest.

UMass - old people don\\\'t know it but certain programs are highly regarded and as a whole it\\\'s moving up. Business or engineering student from NU or UMass? Toss-up today
Not buying it.
UMA does not have a top EE or ME program. It the E backup school.
UML has a top 5 CE and PE program.
I work for a large engineering firm. We have had graduates from NU and other private schools fail the EIT a couple of times before passing while others from Umass Amherst pass first time, never mind professional licensure. Also, where they received their degree had little bearing on hiring as long as the school was accredited. More interested in work experience and references.

BC admitted class of 2025 has an AVERAGE SAT of 1495.

Carry on..

anon

Carry on..
Dorks. That's why they wont win anything for a few years

anon

Carry on..
40% of the kids didn’t submit their scores...

Harvard is the reach school
BC and BU are the nice to be admitted schools
NU is the safety school.
Then there's UMass.

Here you go: US News -

Harvard at # 2

BC at #35

BU at #42

NU at #49

UMass #66

anon
Here you go: US News -

Harvard at # 2

BC at #35

BU at #42

NU at #49

UMass #66
Regardless, they still don't want your kid, that's the point of this thread.

anon

How do you know someone went to BC/BU/NU... They told you!

Anon
anon

5-6 years ago when UMass hockey was really terrible and before the coaching change the lack of Mass kids was always a big DBoard topic. And the fact the old regime had scouts all over Europe, Canada and the eastern bloc looking for players when many Mass kids not only could have helped, but their parents had been supporting the school for decades by paying taxes in state. UMN for years had a policy that they could only roster one non-Minnesotan...ONE! Really the Mass hockey kids dream of playing in and winning the Beanpot and UMass isn\\\'t part of that.

I don\\\'t think I\\\'d call BC/BU/NU are \\\'all far better academic institutions.\\\' Yeah on average but the difference is getting smaller than old timers think.
How do you know someone went to BC/BU/NU... They told you!
:point_up: :point_up: :point_up:
The drunks are out tonight.