The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why is high school hockey in Massachusetts dying off?

Anon
Pope F. is just like a prep school where you pay money to play!!
St.John's Prep, BC High. St.Marys, all prep. You pay!
You may pay for your education in a Catholic school, but making the team in one of these Catholic Conference schools is not easy. Having said that, the level of play is nowhere near prep. (Have experience with both, not even close).

Anon
Hey buddy, MIAA produced the High School National Champions this year! You don't think all those kids are going D1, just watch! #rollpope
They have 1 sure fire D1 player, 2-3 fringe (at best) D1 players.

anon
Anon
Hey buddy, MIAA produced the High School National Champions this year! You don\'t think all those kids are going D1, just watch! #rollpope
Pope the exception. National Champs, better than your team. I see 6 kids playing D1 from this years deep squad

Anon
anon
Anon
Hey buddy, MIAA produced the High School National Champions this year! You don\\\'t think all those kids are going D1, just watch! #rollpope
Pope the exception. National Champs, better than your team. I see 6 kids playing D1 from this years deep squad
Sad part is.. everyone is hockey knows what’s joke the tournament was. They know the Edina team you played, they know the Chicago team you played and they are not impressed. 1 D1 player for sure, kid is real good. The rest, no shot. Zero.

anon
Not too long ago players were getting drafted to the NHL straight out of high school and it was a great path to college hockey...now it’s hard to find a DI commit playing in high school. Seems like every season the talent level continues to drop off. What is happening?
It’s hard to find a DI commit playing in high school. Every season the talent level continues to drop off.

see what I did there ?

Talent level is still very strong in Mass. The game has just grown throughout the US and the World. Back when Mass kids were getting drafted out of HS it was really just Mass and Minn in the US. Now you have great athletes from all over the country they are competing against. As for HS hockey its not a hockey thing. Numbers are down in across the Board in all sports. How many multisport athletes you see anymore at the HS level almost none. Kids that are still playing sports usually play just 1 sport.

Yeah its too bad, lots of kids choosing to go 1 sport route. I can see if your getting invites to top level competition etc and you have a chance to go D1, then it makes sense. Everyone else should be encouraged to do multi sports. Too many coaches, parents and kids believe 1 sport with year round focus is better, that should only apply to a select few.

If hockey is your focus, I think you should do a spring sport, cross/weight train Mar-Nov, get on the ice June-Mar. Maybe a once a week skills in the spring.