Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Stay in Prep or Leave

Depends what school. ISL is confident they will play a normal season with 1/2 season included. Founders league not talking much but coaches there seem very confident and have loaded up with recruits. Seems the Independent Boarding schools are the ones that are letting their medical teams run the show and don't really care about their ice hockey programs or any sports programs. If my kid is at one of the independent schools then I am on the phone coming up with options B and C now. These are good programs like Gun, Williston, even Cushing and NMH letting the Dr dictate what happens on campus even if its guidelines that the CDC had expired like not needing masks outside, kids are still forced to wear them at all times, there is no chance at all they will allow students to leave campus for 1/2 season in the fall OR play in games during the season. If your son is a SR or PG next year, dont go to these schools, they will NOT be seen and 1/2 the team wont even show up to campus.

Speaking of Cushing, all 3 of the PHL kids leaving, another 2 leaving and 2 who played Bruins NCDC not coming back.

Prep school will have a season is what I’ve been hearing across all leagues. With that being said, if your kid has a spot with meaningful ice time on a USHL, BCHL, or NAHL team next season (maybe a top NCDC team), and is not at a top promoted “hockey prep school” (we all know who they are), it’s a no brainer to leave. If his goal is D1 and still uncommitted as a 02-04, the numbers are in tier 1/2 and Jr A that move on. It’s already a tough year: 5th year eligibility, the log jam for 02-04s, etc...My take is your kid needs all the incremental advantages possible to NOT be on bubble, otherwise it’s ACHA or non NESCAC d3 (which isn’t end of world...). Bottom line: take the path of least resistance, not the outlier path—too competitive these next few years.

Anon
Speaking of Cushing, all 3 of the PHL kids leaving, another 2 leaving and 2 who played Bruins NCDC not coming back.
This will change as of today and the mask mandates going away for vaccinated people, the schools medical staff cant shut these kids down any longer..follow the science!

anon
The ISL season is on. It will be business as usual.
If your school headmaster announces his or her pronouns in their profile, it will not be business as usual. They can’t stay in their social circles and tell their friends that they are allowing business as usual.

Anon
Has anyone else been getting calls about their kids leaving current prep team to play in other leagues? My son is 100% committed to staying put and finishing Prep next year, but now after hearing from a few teams he is double guessing his decision. Do you leave Prep next year for NAHL? Do you leave for BCHL or AJHL? Don't want to make a bad decision but also don't want to not play at all again next year. Anyone hear positive feedback from Prep that there will any type of season, or kids could leave campus to play 1/2 season? What a mess!
If your kid is the type of player who would have left school early for junior then fine, leave. If not, then leaving now won't help him. It will just put him in a hockey situation he is not ready for. Graduate, then go. A year from now the whole backlog of players issue will have worked it's way through the system and he will be going to juniors when he is closer to being ready.

anon
Anon
Has anyone else been getting calls about their kids leaving current prep team to play in other leagues? My son is 100% committed to staying put and finishing Prep next year, but now after hearing from a few teams he is double guessing his decision. Do you leave Prep next year for NAHL? Do you leave for BCHL or AJHL? Don\'t want to make a bad decision but also don\'t want to not play at all again next year. Anyone hear positive feedback from Prep that there will any type of season, or kids could leave campus to play 1/2 season? What a mess!
If your kid is the type of player who would have left school early for junior then fine, leave. If not, then leaving now won't help him. It will just put him in a hockey situation he is not ready for. Graduate, then go. A year from now the whole backlog of players issue will have worked it's way through the system and he will be going to juniors when he is closer to being ready.
Not sure which one is worse. Stay at school and not have a season or leave and get thrown into the fire.

Quit school for hockey, get a concussion, then they don’t have to worry about being able to do either.

Anon
Quit school for hockey, get a concussion, then they don’t have to worry about being able to do either.
You can always go back to school. If you have a good option and your son is a SR or PG I suggest leaving school and taking your shot. Most Sr's in Prep have what they need to graduate already as they regrade when going in.

Unless you are a true top 1%'er there is no reason at all to leave a decent prep school you're playing at.

anon
Unless you are a true top 1%'er there is no reason at all to leave a decent prep school you're playing at.
So if they decide to cancel the season, just quit hockey. That's what it equates to correct? No kid can miss 2 seasons and then play meaningful Jrs before college in this climate, you get jumped over in a second. Its sad, but its the truth.

If you are living in a cave and ignoring all the progress with vaccines and drastically dropping rates and still think that come fall/winter things will be worse and there will be no prep hockey then I don't know what else to say.

anon
If you are living in a cave and ignoring all the progress with vaccines and drastically dropping rates and still think that come fall/winter things will be worse and there will be no prep hockey then I don't know what else to say.
That's my point. Some of these schools aren't letting kids outside today without a mask on, even the ones who are vaccinated. Why would they change their minds in the fall/winter. Do they need the numbers to be zero?

Anon
anon
If you are living in a cave and ignoring all the progress with vaccines and drastically dropping rates and still think that come fall/winter things will be worse and there will be no prep hockey then I don\'t know what else to say.
That's my point. Some of these schools aren't letting kids outside today without a mask on, even the ones who are vaccinated. Why would they change their minds in the fall/winter. Do they need the numbers to be zero?
umass just booted three kids for taking a picture while not wearing a mask. the covid cult is not going to let go very easily. if your kid has a resonably good place to play out of the area i would strongly consider it because two wasted years in a row is difficult to overcome

anon
Anon
anon
If you are living in a cave and ignoring all the progress with vaccines and drastically dropping rates and still think that come fall/winter things will be worse and there will be no prep hockey then I don\\\'t know what else to say.
That\'s my point. Some of these schools aren\'t letting kids outside today without a mask on, even the ones who are vaccinated. Why would they change their minds in the fall/winter. Do they need the numbers to be zero?
umass just booted three kids for taking a picture while not wearing a mask. the covid cult is not going to let go very easily. if your kid has a resonably good place to play out of the area i would strongly consider it because two wasted years in a row is difficult to overcome
and if you live in fear like many academics do, there are more cases per day now then there was a year ago at this time. the big surge started to hit in november so they have all this time to still predict doom and gloom right up to hockey season. buyer beware

anon
Anon
anon
If you are living in a cave and ignoring all the progress with vaccines and drastically dropping rates and still think that come fall/winter things will be worse and there will be no prep hockey then I don\\\'t know what else to say.
That\'s my point. Some of these schools aren\'t letting kids outside today without a mask on, even the ones who are vaccinated. Why would they change their minds in the fall/winter. Do they need the numbers to be zero?
Very true. My son is hoping he gets drafted to NCDC tomorrow, just to have a spot to play. Have no idea what we are going to do, already signed the paperwork to return to
School next year but will stop payment if they don’t allow hockey in September.

Just to be clear, being drafted or tendered is absolutely no guarantee that you have a spot.

If your kid can’t make an NCDC roster then stay in school because a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

No deaths yesterday for the first time in a year in MA, this will be the trend now due to the vaccines, schools will have no choice but to allow for these kids to live mask free on campus, leave when they need to for 1/2 season, and play a normal schedule next year. Its going to be good for all of these kids! #positivity

Anony
Just to be clear, being drafted or tendered is absolutely no guarantee that you have a spot.
Hockey is the most effed up sport. Why have it then? So a team gets 10-12 draft picks, but that dosen't mean they want him on the team? Makes perfect sense. Absurd.

Son NCDC drafted yesterday and will not be going back to Prep as they cant commit to a season and NCDC can. I know its crazy but such is life right now.

Anon
Son NCDC drafted yesterday and will not be going back to Prep as they cant commit to a season and NCDC can. I know its crazy but such is life right now.
As the previous poster pointed out, being drafted or tendered is absolutely no guarantee that you have a spot. That's absolutely true.

Anon
Yes. NCDC looks so much better to college admissions and HR. Smart move. Hope he enjoys his 15 games at Fitchburg.