email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USHL Draft

Anon
Good question. With limited viewings will be interesting to see who these teams are willing to draft vs inviting to main camp, and yes, there is a huge difference.
Could you please explain for those of us who are new? This is very interesting.

Anon
Anon
Good question. With limited viewings will be interesting to see who these teams are willing to draft vs inviting to main camp, and yes, there is a huge difference.
Could you please explain for those of us who are new? This is very interesting.
Each team needs a 23 man roster by the time the season starts and a 20 man affiliate list. Typically they have half their team returning from the previous season. So the majority of next years roster will be filled by returning players and their current affiliate list.

Their current affiliate list is made up of mostly previous years futures draft. Last years (10), year before (6), year before that (2) and another couple.

So next week there will be another futures draft which adds another 10 and a phase 2 draft which has 25 rounds but they stop after they have a total of 45 players (currently rostered players do not count towards the 45).

So add all that up and multiply that by the number of teams in the league and you get a chitload of players under teams control to complete their roster for next season. Bottom line is if your kid is not drafted he really has no shot of making a club.

Anon
There are like 25 rounds. They really aren’t that selective after the first 6-7.

Link helps a little to explain. https://www.juniorhockey.com/news/news_detail.php?news_id=93692

Main camps are fund raisers. It's really not a secret. Head Coaches have to fill them to fund asst salaries.

As the article says, going can be a good experience so go if you want but when my kid played there were many that went from camp to camp hoping to make a team. They flushed a lot of money with no chance of a return.

USHL is an absolute grind, not meant for many 17 year olds. Save it for Jr hockey years, it is meant to prepare young adult male hockey players for college hockey against 21-25 year old men.

Watch it live on Neutral Zone this week...Should be a great event with lots of locals going to the mid west in the fall!

Anon
Watch it live on Neutral Zone this week...Should be a great event with lots of locals going to the mid west in the fall!
My kid is packing his bags now!

Should be a great validation for their PHL players when they hear their names called

Anon
Should be a great validation for their PHL players when they hear their names called
For sure some good 10th round picks in that league!

I'm pumped for the USHL draft, I mean, not 1 team has reached out on any form, but I have a great chance of getting picked! Right?

It's not unheard off. These guys get lists from different sources. Once they have the players they want, They just go down a list to meet the league requirement. I've known kids who were drafted late rounds who didn't expect it and were never contacted by the team.

My 04 was drafted last year in phase 1 in the first 100 picks. Had communication with 3 teams leading up to the draft.

JC already wrote about a bunch of kids and labeled them as D3 players. So they are out of the running!

What does it mean to be drafted? My son wont be leaving Prep to play USHL next year so does it even matter? The team just owns your rights? Seems pointless if your kid has a plan for next year and is going to turn the offer down anyways for a year.

They can put him on a protected list if they think he is good enough and you tell them that he would consider playing out there after graduation. If they are not really interested then they won't even ask and will drop him, espeically if you don't go to the main camp.

Sometimes good players who don't want to play for a certain team that drafts them will tell them they are not going to USHL but they hold the rights anyway for trades.

What are the odds that the Steel take the owners youngest in rounds 4-12?

Anon
JC already wrote about a bunch of kids and labeled them as D3 players. So they are out of the running!
Way to go Jeff. Azz

Anon
Yup, all the ushl teams check with Cox before making any personnel decisions.

What I don’t understand is they draft some of these guys who are very good with their own age group but when they play in a prep setting or tournament setting of mixed ages they disappear. They don’t have the physical ability, the game is faster and they lose time and space yet they get drafted. Is that just how this works?

The first few rounds are about the upcoming season. The rest are about the future or they are throw away picks that they don’t care about bit are forced to make.