Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cant take them seriously

no idea what nz put out but there is a huge difference between helping kids with decision making and contacting coaches about ice time if that's what the rant was about

anon
What advice are you referring to? Who said parents not be involved?
That was in reference to not talking to the Hs or prep coach. Of course parents need to be involved when shipping their kids halfway across the country!

I know
anon
That was in reference to not talking to the Hs or prep coach. Of course parents need to be involved when shipping their kids halfway across the country!
Nope. It was to tell parents that the kids should be doing all of this themselves, don’t get involved. Parents had the nerve to text him and see if their kid could get some time in his PHL. How dare they! Then he was all excited that some little kid texted him a bunch of times. Little does he know his dad was making him do it!

Anon
I know
anon
Nope. It was to tell parents that the kids should be doing all of this themselves, don’t get involved. Parents had the nerve to text him and see if their kid could get some time in his PHL. How dare they! Then he was all excited that some little kid texted him a bunch of times. Little does he know his dad was making him do it!
no idea the situation or context but there are aholes everywhere on both sides, parents, coaches, teachers, you name it

do what's best for your kid but don't ruin it for them

yes that's in the eye of the beholder but at some point you do have to let them do it

when that is depends on the kid...and unfortunately also the parent cause some can never let go

USHL is Tier I, if a team is talking to your son, he's real good, Think Chicago Steel

NAHL is Tier II Northeast Generals, if there're talking to you or him, he's good.

Everybody else in Juniors in US is Tier III. EHF Worcester Railers et.

If he's looking at this, or you are, you're both trying to keep the dream alive.

Get it straight Bozo

Anon
USHL is Tier I, if a team is talking to your son, he's real good, Think Chicago Steel

NAHL is Tier II Northeast Generals, if there're talking to you or him, he's good.

If he's looking at this, or you are, you're both trying to keep the dream alive.

Get it straight Bozo
Why are stating the obvious. We are past this.

Anon

Get it straight Bozo
Is keeping the dream alive only about playing D1? What if your kid wants to play D3 because he actually wants to play hockey instead of riding the pine for two years while the super studs come in, get all the ice time and then leave for the pros?

I get the frustruation, there are far more people wanting to beleive there kid is capable at the next level so seeking out people who will tell them that. Most dont have the money to afford the people who will tell you that and put your kid in positions they dont deserve. The very few have the kids who were going to be there regardless of what area they played in.

The hard truth is that hockey is a lottery ticket, like any other professional sport. Im sure the other sports have the same amount of cash grabs but it does seem like since my son started in hockey, the amount has exploded. Must attend tournaments, camps, "invite" camps, etc. There are so many people wanting to make money off the fragile ego of parents and their want to hear their kid is special.

Too many will come on here and ***** but would run over their own mother to get thier kid invited to one of these must attend events. If people actually just believed in thier kids, there would be regulars season hockey and off season training. Nothing more is ever needed.

Anon
I get the frustruation, there are far more people wanting to beleive there kid is capable at the next level so seeking out people who will tell them that. Most dont have the money to afford the people who will tell you that and put your kid in positions they dont deserve. The very few have the kids who were going to be there regardless of what area they played in.

The hard truth is that hockey is a lottery ticket, like any other professional sport. Im sure the other sports have the same amount of cash grabs but it does seem like since my son started in hockey, the amount has exploded. Must attend tournaments, camps, "invite" camps, etc. There are so many people wanting to make money off the fragile ego of parents and their want to hear their kid is special.

Too many will come on here and ***** but would run over their own mother to get thier kid invited to one of these must attend events. If people actually just believed in thier kids, there would be regulars season hockey and off season training. Nothing more is ever needed.
Agree with you. My son stopped doing spring/summer events when he was 14. He just turned 18 and for the past few years its all about off season training, nutrition, recovery, flexibility, consistent skills training with a specific purpose each time on the ice, applying these skills during 1/2 season and rolling into Winter Prep Season. Try it, it works very well! Dads just have to get over the FOMO and believe in your kids ability.

Parents ego's prevent them from having the patience to let kids develop and grow. There is no secret sauce to getting kids to the D1 level let alone professional hockey. I've seen kids leave at a young age for major junior and flame out while others have thrived on that path and are now in the NHL. You don't know and you cant predict.

You can project but you can't even be sure of where your kid will end up physicially. I can name kids who were good players but were never picked for anything. Then at 20-21 their physicial development accellerated while most others stopped. You don't know.

One tell all sign on how far your kid may go is passion for the sport. Most think they are working hard if they go to practice, play games and do their workouts. It's a lot but it's also the same as every other kid in the world who dreams of playing in the NHL. It's not going above and beyond. Kids who find ways to work on things above and beyond what everyone else is doing because they love the sport have a shot.

Assess your kids passion for the sport and passion to master things versus going to practice and games and skating hard. If they don't have passion, try to foster it but not force it. They might develop it once they see the results of working above and beyond. If they don't, well then they are just like the rest of us who enjoyed playing sports but didn't love it enough to spend most of your daily life doing it.

People can fake a lot of things but passion is not one of them.

Lots of good points. Clearly you speak from experience, and worthwhile experience. What would you tell parents is the age younger players should be at the starting line....Midget or Bantam years? The time to really go all in.

Interesting points - NE hockey is really hard to navigate if not in the inner circle. First love is hockey but we finally said screw it - let's take a college run at lacrosse, it's a lot easier.

I hear many parents saying that about switching to lacrosse but I just don't understand why. After a lifetime of hockey at the 11th hour they encourage their kid to seek out lacrosse instead. But why? Sure if your kid is exceptional and gets a rare rare rare D1 full lacrosse ride then OK.
But for the other 99.5% why change sports for college if there is no financial benefit? Even if they can't make a D3 hockey team, if they love the sport they can play ACHA which can be very good.
Are they switching just to say "my kid plays some NCAA college sport"? If so let me tell you I've seen many kids quit on that path saying the year long commitment to a sport they just like (not love) was not worth it.
Not slamming anyone just saying have them do what they love, even at a lower level, not what they might like.
Good luck.

It's more about "I want to play a sport in college" than "I love hockey so much I'm willing to go and spend two years of playing Juniors, spend $30-$40K of my own money on the 'experience' and then show-up to some third rate D-3 college as a 21 year old freshmen to play marginal hockey in front of parents and a few girlfriends."

With the incredible number of schools offering and adding Lax and team rosters going 50-60-70 players deep and the serious recruiting region being DC to Boston a pretty average athlete can play Lax in college. D-3 you can find kids who can barely run making teams.

The hockey / Juniors system is real for many top-end & Canadian players but it's pretty criminal for those who end-up playing D-3 at some unknown college.

anon
It's more about "I want to play a sport in college" than "I love hockey so much I'm willing to go and spend two years of playing Juniors, spend $30-$40K of my own money on the 'experience' and then show-up to some third rate D-3 college as a 21 year old freshmen to play marginal hockey in front of parents and a few girlfriends."

With the incredible number of schools offering and adding Lax and team rosters going 50-60-70 players deep and the serious recruiting region being DC to Boston a pretty average athlete can play Lax in college. D-3 you can find kids who can barely run making teams.

The hockey / Juniors system is real for many top-end & Canadian players but it's pretty criminal for those who end-up playing D-3 at some unknown college.
Lax has more opportunity if the goal is to be on a roster. Actually playing and/or earning scholarship money is another things. There can be benefits to being on a team even if you have no chance of ever playing but for the right kid. The question is what else can they be doing with their time in college. In this scenario I'd tell my kid to play club. Club hockey/lax can be a blast and you can get the same experience of a being on a team and having buddies for life. D2 and D1 club hockey can be pretty good and it's taken serious enough to bring accountability to kids that sports brings. And you don't need 2-3 years of T3 juniors to play.

anon
Interesting points - NE hockey is really hard to navigate if not in the inner circle. First love is hockey but we finally said screw it - let's take a college run at lacrosse, it's a lot easier.
Find the best coach you can and leave the kid there. Don't jump from team to team looking for wins. Start there and see what happens. Jumping teams or jumping to lax because you think it's easier probably wont work out all that well. Think you don't have to put in tons of hours on lax skills to play D1 is just foolish.

Anon
Lots of good points. Clearly you speak from experience, and worthwhile experience. What would you tell parents is the age younger players should be at the starting line....Midget or Bantam years? The time to really go all in.
Best thing you can do is make them aware. Explain it to them. I have several kids, boys and girls all stating at one point that they wanted to play a sport in college. Two wouldn't put in the time. I explained it to them several times. Going to practice and going to strength training wasn't enough even though you do it every day. Every kid in the country does that. They had to outwork and develop skills better than others. They got it and finally said in their junior years that they were good with just playing through HS. They stopped the charade that most kids put on because they don't want to disappoint their parents who want them to be college athletes. They also were finally ok with their peer group to state they didn't want to play in college. One kid did whatever it took but didn't have the athleticism. The last one is more gifted physicially and has the determination and passion for the sport. He's still playing.

You just don't know but what we all know is it's mostly out of our control. All we can do is give guidance and the opportunity to develop and see what happens.