The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Time off/ Rest

Son just spoke with his dream D1 school coach. Coach asked him what he’s been doing, son told him—nothing, taking some time off to recover from the year will get back at it in a month or so. Coach loved it, congratulated him on knowing when to shut it down for a little to recover and invited him to campus. After all these years of me pushing him to do tournament after tournament, skills nonstop I feel like a douche!

Re: Time off/ Rest

Trust that feeling

Love the subtle brag

In the meantime my kid's gotten calls from two more D1 coaches from his play over the past few weeks.

Anon
Love the subtle brag

In the meantime my kid's gotten calls from two more D1 coaches from his play over the past few weeks.
Liar

Yeah well my kid got called from the NHL! You people are stupid.

Anon
Son just spoke with his dream D1 school coach. Coach asked him what he’s been doing, son told him—nothing, taking some time off to recover from the year will get back at it in a month or so. Coach loved it, congratulated him on knowing when to shut it down for a little to recover and invited him to campus. After all these years of me pushing him to do tournament after tournament, skills nonstop I feel like a douche!
You are a douche. I call bullsh*t on you and your fictional story.

ANON
Anon
You are a douche. I call bullsh*t on you and your fictional story.
Ok

My kid plays in the Prestigious P.H.L so he basically is guaranteed a D1 spot

Well my son played in the PHL and the Battle of Boston Super Elite Division and is doing skills all week. Rest Is for the weak

If you played in the USHL or NAHL (season is still going) this past season and will be a returning player next season you can take a month or so off the ice in the summer. Keep hitting the gym to build strength and endurance and do some off-ice shooting and stick work, but getting off the ice for an extended period of time is a good thing to recharge. The season is long and grueling and you need to get ready for next year. Same applies for NCAA players.

If you are not in that position and you are having to grind it out to make a Tier 1 or Tier 2 roster you don't have the luxury of taking time off over the summer. Get to work.

Anon
If you played in the USHL or NAHL (season is still going) this past season and will be a returning player next season you can take a month or so off the ice in the summer. Keep hitting the gym to build strength and endurance and do some off-ice shooting and stick work, but getting off the ice for an extended period of time is a good thing to recharge. The season is long and grueling and you need to get ready for next year. Same applies for NCAA players.

If you are not in that position and you are having to grind it out to make a Tier 1 or Tier 2 roster you don't have the luxury of taking time off over the summer. Get to work.
Yes because Tier 1 and Tier 2 players health is not as important. Listen to your body, do whatever you have to do in order to be healthy when it matters. 97 skill sessions with pain vs taking 4 weeks to heal is common sense.

It's hard to tell your kid to pull back and rest when they're trying to get ready for national festival and their affiliate camp. I get the benefits of time off, but not sure it's the best timing when you're trying to make Hlinka team and USHL team.

I think once they're older (like >14), you have to let them drive it. It's their choice and their consequences/rewards.

Few need a physical break, some just need a mental break. Read the kid and their level of passion about playing.

Agreed. The mental break is most important. It's also important to still remain active doing other things outside the rink.