Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wisdom needed

Most schools don't pursue kids.... they don't have to. Find out what schools are a good academic fit and reach out to the appropriate coaches and they will watch them. Ex. If you son is 4.0 GPA as a freshman and scores in the 90th percentile on the ISEE exam, schools like Milton, Nobles, Exeter are a great potential schools provided they like them as a hockey player. They won't even watch a kid who is a B student 60th percentile on ISEE as they know they cant get in. Your email to the coach should start with their GPA/Scores. The money is there provided the kid checks all the boxes. They won't admit a top 5 EHF kid if they can't do the work in the classroom. Hope this helps.

Depending on the age of your player, it may also be worth noting that a decent percentage of the players on a preps Varsity roster are repeats, my experience typically repeat Juniors. So if your son doesn't catch the eye of the coach in 8th grade, tell him to keep working on his development and just as importantly, work hard on his academics as there can still be path's to prep during his high school years. If he is both a good student and a good player, he will many more options.

Rookie
Wondering if some of you who have been through this before might be able to help. What percentage of EHF or E9 elite youth players ended up being pursued and offered the Patrick Mahomes discount for New England prep? Obviously ones that want to go that direction. Say from your bantam years. Top 10% sound right or am I way off. Any wisdom from the experienced is appreciated.
You said "pursued and offered". That's two different things that can be mutually exclusive. SSM, BK, Culver, etc... they pursue kids, but they play other Club teams and stick to birth year specific divisions. Thats <1/2% territory.

But true Preps such as NEPSAC, ISL, and the like... your kid has to make an effort in the classroom in addition to having athletic potential. For these schools often times the parent/player has to make the first call, send the first email, etc. At that point it's a very long decision making process that requires applying, standardized testing (sometimes), interviews, review of your family's financials, in-person visits, etc etc. Your kid may get that "Patrick Mahomes treatment" but it's rarely because a Prep coach found your kid on a recruiting website, summer tourney, or prep combine and hunted your family down. For Prep it will usually be because your kid is genuinely interested in the school and your family approached the school first.

My midget plays for an 'elite league' team, and on our roster of 17 players we have three NEPSAC Varsity Hockey Prep Kids, that's 17%. One got the Mahomes treatment. Thats 1/2% So I imagine the hockey mill schools pursuing a student athlete represent a minuscule fraction of 1 percent.

Also, our CC and MIAA Varsity players are as good or better than our Prep players. Their families just chose a different route.

Anon
Rookie
Wondering if some of you who have been through this before might be able to help. What percentage of EHF or E9 elite youth players ended up being pursued and offered the Patrick Mahomes discount for New England prep? Obviously ones that want to go that direction. Say from your bantam years. Top 10% sound right or am I way off. Any wisdom from the experienced is appreciated.
You said "pursued and offered". That's two different things that can be mutually exclusive. SSM, BK, Culver, etc... they pursue kids, but they play other Club teams and stick to birth year specific divisions. Thats <1/2% territory.

But true Preps such as NEPSAC, ISL, and the like... your kid has to make an effort in the classroom in addition to having athletic potential. For these schools often times the parent/player has to make the first call, send the first email, etc. At that point it's a very long decision making process that requires applying, standardized testing (sometimes), interviews, review of your family's financials, in-person visits, etc etc. Your kid may get that "Patrick Mahomes treatment" but it's rarely because a Prep coach found your kid on a recruiting website, summer tourney, or prep combine and hunted your family down. For Prep it will usually be because your kid is genuinely interested in the school and your family approached the school first.

My midget plays for an 'elite league' team, and on our roster of 17 players we have three NEPSAC Varsity Hockey Prep Kids, that's 17%. One got the Mahomes treatment. Thats 1/2% So I imagine the hockey mill schools pursuing a student athlete represent a minuscule fraction of 1 percent.

Also, our CC and MIAA Varsity players are as good or better than our Prep players. Their families just chose a different route.
Are they though? Seriously? Think about it, "our CC and MIAA Varsity players are as good or better than our Prep players" very rare or your prep players are 3/4 liners.

I can only speak for our roster, so it’s anecdotal. But my kid is one of the Prep players. And I have no problem admitting that some of the CC and MIAA players are either better now, or forecast as better prospects (height/strength/speed). Don’t get me wrong, my kid is pretty. good, but some of these CC/MIAA players on our club team simply don’t want to play Prep. We have 4 kids playing at top CC hockey schools and 2 kids playing at top Super 8 MIAA public schools. They and their families simply chose a different route.

Anon
I can only speak for our roster, so it’s anecdotal. But my kid is one of the Prep players. And I have no problem admitting that some of the CC and MIAA players are either better now, or forecast as better prospects (height/strength/speed). Don’t get me wrong, my kid is pretty. good, but some of these CC/MIAA players on our club team simply don’t want to play Prep. We have 4 kids playing at top CC hockey schools and 2 kids playing at top Super 8 MIAA public schools. They and their families simply chose a different route.
And a lot just can't afford to pay for a prep school education...even with a bunch of financial aid.