The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which prep school??

If money were no object and admission and play time were guaranteed, where would you send your elite hockey player to prep school in New England and why?

Re: Which prep school??

Clueless
If money were no object and admission and play time were guaranteed, where would you send your elite hockey player to prep school in New England and why?
None of the above. The academy model is second to none.

Phillips Andover with their 1.1 billion dollar endowment

Anon
Phillips Exeter with a $1.4 Billion dollar endowment.

if he is that good saint johns

Brewster

Andover, Exeter, Milton Academy, Nobles, Deerfield....

Kimball, Salisbury, Avon, Cushing, Lawrence.... if not you will be lucky if your son makes D3.

Anon
Kimball, Salisbury, Avon, Cushing, Lawrence.... if not you will be lucky if your son makes D3.
... that or digging ditches if hockey doesn't work out with those low level prep schools

Anon
Anon
... that or digging ditches if hockey doesn't work out with those low level prep schools
I guess it depends on the kid. If he's entitled and a dic like you then yes, please go to the first set of schools listed. If he's got a sack and knows what its like to be told no and has to work for things, the second set of schools. Pretty easy.

Anon
Pomfret becoming major player

Yeah Pomfret with it's 48M endowment... Thanks Coach.

Not sure why we’re talking about school endowment…endowments don’t develop hockey players. but what do I know, let’s continue with the endowment measuring

If he's actually elite, to whatever school his advisor is telling him will develop him the best to get a real shot at the NTDP 17 team. If he's not elite and just really, really good but also a good student, I would start with Nobles, Andover, etc. Lawrence Academy, Cushing, etc. if it's only about his hockey development.

History tells you that Avon, Cushing and Salisbury would be good choices. The major BUT here is these schools bring in tons of 1 year guys. Ask yourself, are these schools making these players or is it the other way around. Money and playing time not an object. Look for a coach who has a history of developing guys. Not sure you will find many in prep.

Anon
History tells you that Avon, Cushing and Salisbury would be good choices. The major BUT here is these schools bring in tons of 1 year guys. Ask yourself, are these schools making these players or is it the other way around. Money and playing time not an object. Look for a coach who has a history of developing guys. Not sure you will find many in prep.
Prep is recruiting and coaching.

Not developing.

I am not sure I would agree with the coaching part. Recuriting yes but overplaying 4 or 5 guys to the point of exhaustion is not coaching. Coaching would be at least taking the talent and fitting it to a system of play. I dont think I have seen any of that either. Its a lot of guys playing coach, sitting behind a desk, having programs feed them kids and walking around campuses with families telling them how great they and the school are. I am sorry, I have been on tons of these tours, there is no one more full of **** than prep hockey coach....or wait, a prep hockey assistant coach. My kid was a school with an assistant coach that can barely skate. He ran the practices LOL!

Look at your child
Are they strong academically?
Look at the coach
Will your child play there?
What are you looking for
Hockey ?
Academics?
College admit?

Think long term

Lots of variables

Anon
I wouldn't be so quick to keep Cushing in that list. Team has 1 current player committed from a few years ago. Avon and Salisbury has overcome them and their are other schools that have moved 4-8 players per year to a D1 commitment. I guess time will tell but if Cushing cant move kids on don't the move out of the "powerhouse" conversation.

I agree lots of varriables. I feel there are far more naieve parents out there so anything I write is a caution to them. Coaches at prep can not be honest with parents or they will most likley be fired. Very hard to navigate the b/s. Will tell you lots of things to get you to apply. AFter that you may even get enough money to make it work. All of that does not guarantee your kid will get anything out of it. Its house league hockey bunch of "superstars" looking to go end to end with a ton of scrubs getting in the way. Kids are bigger so there is less ice so games are closer. Go for the education, not for the hockey.

As the father of a U14 player next year, I have a serious question: if prep teams suck, EHF after Bantams sucks, Beast League sucks, E9 sucks, and Academies suck, what doesn’t suck?

My kid is good, but he’s not going to Shattuck. Is he out of luck?

This is my question exactly. Everyone on here says everything sucks minus shattuck or culver so what to do with our U14/16s?

do as you've always been doing follow the herd..

If you son goes to see a top Prep school and the Head coach writes a thank you letter for the interview before your son gets the chance to send his.. is this coach interestested in this student/player..?

How about a program that allows a player in 8th grade to skate with team before applying...?

Anon
Anon
I wouldn't be so quick to keep Cushing in that list. Team has 1 current player committed from a few years ago. Avon and Salisbury has overcome them and their are other schools that have moved 4-8 players per year to a D1 commitment. I guess time will tell but if Cushing cant move kids on don't the move out of the "powerhouse" conversation.
Cushing has a new coach respected by all college programs, has a hockey director respected by all college programs, don’t be surprised if they get 10 of their players committed this year. Their U18 team is very good, ranked #1 in MA U18. Watch and see. Still powerhouse level hockey.

Anon
Anon
Anon
I wouldn\'t be so quick to keep Cushing in that list. Team has 1 current player committed from a few years ago. Avon and Salisbury has overcome them and their are other schools that have moved 4-8 players per year to a D1 commitment. I guess time will tell but if Cushing cant move kids on don\'t the move out of the \"powerhouse\" conversation.
Cushing has a new coach respected by all college programs, has a hockey director respected by all college programs, don’t be surprised if they get 10 of their players committed this year. Their U18 team is very good, ranked #1 in MA U18. Watch and see. Still powerhouse level hockey.
Yeah, now they do Podcasts! SJ only cares about 1 05 who is going to get crushed when he plays against these older guys, tweets about him constantly. I don’t get it guys, it’s the fastest way to lose your locker room. Team concept is gone.

looks like Dexter has the biggest mix of local or NE players.. what other Prep team in New England can say the have as many or more local players?

In the Know

anon
looks like Dexter has the biggest mix of local or NE players.. what other Prep team in New England can say the have as many or more local players?

In the Know
Probably other day schools?