The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UMASS..... really?

2-14-4 record? That is **** poor by any standards. Clean it up and recruit Mass kids, find them early and make it THE place to play. How hard is it??? What kind of an Alumni network is there and what's their opinion?

Re: UMASS..... really?

Scout local, build connections with local coaches, get early commits, get the kids out to the USHL and build something...

What if the D-3 UMASS-Boston (19-4-3) played the D-I UMASS-Amherst team???

I think they would give them a game.

As an example look at the roster for U of Minnesota all but 5 kids are from the state , for the most part has always been this way and it is awesome . There are plenty of kids from Mass out there , yes why not keep them all here in one place . Agree

Why not? State university subsidized with state taxpayer dollars and the coaching staff needs to run around Canada searching for the 'Secret Sauce' to get to 2-14-4 in hockey east? Blow it up and rebuild with New England and more specifically Mass kids because right now the "Flag Ship Campus" might be the third best team in the state system.

Jeff Cox ‏@JeffCoxSports 11h11 hours ago

That didn't take long. According to MassLive's Daniel Malone, UMass has fired coach John Micheletto less than 12 hours after season ended.

Time for alums to pressure for a 'pro Mass Hockey" coach. Enough of this importation of second rate talent when the local boys are looked over by a State school system they've supported.

wI'll never be any good if you have non hockey people that never played hockey have input. That means u Capt. pond club

What?

Jeff Cox ‏@JeffCoxSports Mar 9

1 name with head coaching experience I haven't heard as option for UMass job that should get consideration is St. Lawrence's Greg Carvel.

Maybe Jeff Cox "Hockey Scout, freelance hockey writer for @espnboston and @sbnation," should read the 'friggin' DBoard!

Posted here -

anon
Mar 8, 2016 - 1:54PM

Reading his stuff is hilarious. He thinks he has a clue about what he's watching and if the kid plays at a prep school then he's automatically a good player. If it's a defensemen he better roam all over the ice, play like a forward and have good hands or else he's no good. Last year he named some high school defensemen one of the best in the state and the kid was never higher than 3rd on the team's depth chart. "Scout" O.K. then.

I know exactly who you're talking about! And one of the kids went out to the USHL last summer and got a spot and the 'scout' said the little guy was better. Grain of salt.

UMass should go after coach from Umass Boston.
Built a great program, great contacts in New England and Canada.

I think that's a good call to make.

Jeff Cox ‏from SB Nation -
If I'm Ryan Bamford, the first 3 calls I make are to Darren Yopyk (Merrimack), Bill Riga (Quinnipiac) and Ben Barr (Western Michigan) .

Greg Brown (BC)

Sean Tremblay (IHC)

By MATT VAUTOUR
@MattVautourDHG
Monday, March 7, 2016
(Published in print: Tuesday, March 8, 2016)

Despite the UMass hockey team’s recent struggles, the vacant head coaching position is still viewed as a good job in college hockey circles and is expected to attract some quality candidates.

UMass is a well-resourced Hockey East program. Unlike many college hockey programs, the Minutemen pay their athletes full cost of attendance proportional to the percentage of scholarship a player receives. The Mullins Center is still one of the sport’s best facilities and the new coach can expect a salary that’s among the upper echelon in Division I.

In Monday’s teleconference, Bamford mentioned how quickly Nate Leaman turned Providence from a middling Hockey East program to the 2015 national champions.

There are a handful of Leaman disciples on the following list of candidates who could be involved:

Rick Bennett, Union College head coach — If he’s interested, Bennett is almost certain to be a candidate.

Greg Carvel, St. Lawrence head coach — Carvel has local ties. He earned his master’s degree in sport management from UMass and worked as an assistant at Amherst College in 1996.

Mark Dennehy, Merrimack head coach —Dennehy was Toot Cahoon’s right-hand man during UMass’ last run of success. He’s built Merrimack from a Hockey East also-ran into a credible program.

Bill Riga, Quinnipiac associate coach — Riga has been a key part of two major building jobs.

Darren Yopyk, Minnesota Wild scout — Yopyk is a former graduate assistant under Cahoon at UMass.

Ben Barr, Western Michigan associate head coach — Another former Leaman lieutenant, Barr is the top assistant for the Broncos.

Kyle Wallack, Vermont associate head coach — Schools rarely hire a coach who resembles the one they just fired.

http://www.gazettenet.com/sports/collegesports/21446034-95/umass-hockey-coaching-search-could-begin-with-unions-rick-bennett

Can someone explain -

"Unlike many college hockey programs, the Minutemen pay their athletes full cost of attendance proportional to the percentage of scholarship a player receives."

Might be onto something! Just saw Beacons are playing in D3 frozen four. I just checked the roster and they got kids from all over the place, which has to be a challenge. They should give this guy a good look

D3 coach of the year. Will probably be picked up by someone probably lower tier D1 program. UConn, UMaine, Bentley, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross

http://dailycollegian.com/2016/03/27/umass-hockey-notebook-harvards-paul-pearl-reportedly-emerges-as-favorite-in-coach-search/

Paul Pearl is the frontrunner.

They look 'far & wide' and find a guy in Cambridge...yawn. Sounds like a deal going on of some sort.

Local is good if he recruits local kids!

Agree! They should cut the budget, dump western Canada and start right here!

Carvel Chosen as New UMass Head Coach - http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2016/03/29_carvel_chosen_as_new_umass.php … @UmassHockey

I guess you read it here first.

More of the same with very little commitment to the local players. At St. Lawrence he has a kid from Mass and a kid from NH and very little east coast representation. And a 72-63-15 record isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with boat loads of imported players.

Your tax dollars hard at work!

You keep posting about local kids... How many d1 local talent do you think there is?? First, the top tier local kids are going to BC and BU. The rest are scattered throughout hockey east. Yes, Umass hasn't had much luck with the locals but historically neither has any of the other hockey east schools. UNH has done a good job in the past but that's it.

If Umass took more local kids, the 2nd and 3rd tier d1 kids, they would be exactly where they are right now...

Not a shot at local kids either, just reality, you need to look outside the area to compete.

By the way, read the article about Carvel.. he's actually a pretty good well seasoned coach and might be able to do well there.

Wisconsin gets a coach from the Detroit Red Wings and his brother who coached the NTDP and we get a .500 coach from St. Lawrence because he went to grad school @ ZooMass....nice, that outta turn it around!

Yup a .500 coach that took a 14th place team in one year to fifth, 3rd, 2nd and then slipped a little to 4th. Id say that's pretty good.

Not my pick, I would have taken Ben Barr but don't just look at the record, look where they were and where they are now. He is leaving St Lawrence a hell of a lot better than where they were. Cant say the same about Umass...

anon
Yup a .500 coach that took a 14th place team in one year to fifth, 3rd, 2nd and then slipped a little to 4th. Id say that's pretty good.

Not my pick, I would have taken Ben Barr but don't just look at the record, look where they were and where they are now. He is leaving St Lawrence a hell of a lot better than where they were. Cant say the same about Umass...

In the ECAC? Welcome to Hockey East.

anon
You keep posting about local kids... How many d1 local talent do you think there is?? First, the top tier local kids are going to BC and BU. The rest are scattered throughout hockey east. Yes, Umass hasn't had much luck with the locals but historically neither has any of the other hockey east schools. UNH has done a good job in the past but that's it.

If Umass took more local kids, the 2nd and 3rd tier d1 kids, they would be exactly where they are right now...

Not a shot at local kids either, just reality, you need to look outside the area to compete.

By the way, read the article about Carvel.. he's actually a pretty good well seasoned coach and might be able to do well there.

They need to do what the other schools have gotten good at doing: identify local talent early, get them in the right programs, get them to the USHL and then bring them back. There is more local D-1 talent than you think if they are found young and sent out to the Midwest to develop. Hanging around here, watching a couple 19 year old kids play prep hockey against 15 year olds and then 'season them' by playing a year or two of Tier III Junior Hockey is as foolish as believing you have to import every kid on the roster.

anon
They need to do what the other schools have gotten good at doing: identify local talent early, get them in the right programs, get them to the USHL and then bring them back.

guessing you never actually recruited.

where would you play? BC? BU? Harvard? or some state school?

identifying them early and getting them into the right pre-'program' is only doing the work for those schools. instead you have to find the right mix of (basically) second tier players and trust you can 'out-coach' the opponent --- just like a certain current Bruins head coach.

Relying on "out coaching" when you're plucking a .500 coach from the ECAC is not something they can rely on I'm assuming. And wandering all over Canada looking for their talent hasn't worked either. I agree, maybe take a look here under your nose.

Northeastern has been doing a pretty good job looking locally and in reality how much worse could a UMASS team be if it became the go to place for local kids?

First off, I think you should give this coach a chance. Again saying that he is a .500 coach is misleading when you look at where he finished since he took over. Went from dead last to 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 4th. Not as bad as you think it is.

Also, you might want to look at Northeasterns roster again. 6 kids from mass. 4 played a significant amount and 2 of the 4 transferred from BU. So their first choice was BU. The top tier kids want to play for BC and BU and the rest get the second tier. Yes there ae some that might choose another school over BC or BU but not that many. Coaches are forced to look outside Mass to find kids.

You are right, no complaints with what you wrote. However Northeastern is active locally more than most and I think the post was about their local commits that aren't in the school yet. At least they're looking and I've even seen their assistant coach at a few high school games watching their commits and looking for others - I can't think of another school being around other than prep games.