The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Men's NCAA Div II

What are your impressions of men's Div. II hockey?

Re: Men's NCAA Div II

Nonexistent if you want to play in the NCAA Tourney

Glorified club hockey. D1 or D3 only.

I think it's pretty limited in the number of teams that claim to be D-II. One difference is they can offer scholarships like D-I and D-III has none. There are 43 D-I, 21 D-II and 76 D-III men's teams with $ ranging from $4,000 to $15,000 per year for D-II.

Hockey wise it's pretty much the same as D-III, meaning it isn't D-I and within that it is still good hockey with less scouted kids and you'll see more undersized kids than in D-I. Fast & strong where D-I is big fast and strong.

Inaccurate. No scholarships at D2 hockey. Most D2 schools would finish at the bottom of the MASCAC (worst conference in d3).

Wrong and.......wrong.

According to the scoreboard it isn't much different from D-III if at all.

And according to the NCAA there is $ available -

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/hockey.html

Go down half a page

I guess you learn something new everyday...........

There is no difference in play at all.

Technically there is scholarships at these schools but to the best of my knowledge, none of them offer money for hockey just sports like basketball, football, and baseball.

Look at the NCAA link....scholarshipstats

I see what your looking at but that is not what this discussion is. Read the asterisk, "most division 2 schools compete at the division one level" referring to schools like Merrimack. They are a d2 school with hockey playing D1. They offer hockey scholarships. This is not the same as St A's, which I know for a fact does not offer hockey shcolarships or the same for Southern NH and Stonehill.

The schools currently stuck in D2, ST A's, St Mikes, Stonehill, Franklin Peirce, Southern NH and Assumption do not offer athletic scholarships for hockey. Also, these are the ONLY schools playing at the D2 level. Post will be coming in next year I think but currently this is the number of teams at D2 and none offer scholarships

anon
I see what your looking at but that is not what this discussion is. Read the asterisk, "most division 2 schools compete at the division one level" referring to schools like Merrimack. They are a d2 school with hockey playing D1. They offer hockey scholarships. This is not the same as St A's, which I know for a fact does not offer hockey shcolarships or the same for Southern NH and Stonehill.

The schools currently stuck in D2, ST A's, St Mikes, Stonehill, Franklin Peirce, Southern NH and Assumption do not offer athletic scholarships for hockey. Also, these are the ONLY schools playing at the D2 level. Post will be coming in next year I think but currently this is the number of teams at D2 and none offer scholarships

This post is correct

I'm not sure what I'm missing but it's spelled out right here and the #'s semm legit. http://www.scholarshipstats.com/hockey.html

anon
I'm not sure what I'm missing but it's spelled out right here and the #'s semm legit. http://www.scholarshipstats.com/hockey.html

Your missing the point, there are a number of DI schools, Like Bemidji State, Lake Superior St. etc, that are DI and play in the DI NCAA playoffs, but from a Scholarship perspective they are considered DII becasue they have less money. Other than that. DII hockey is non-existent except for schools like St. A's SNHU, etc that have no money, like D3 and don't qualify for any post season tourneys.

Seems the numbers don't lie -

School Division # players Ave. Scholarship

Saint Michael's College NCAA II 28 $2,679

Southern New Hampshire University NCAA II 28 $6,882

Lake Superior State University NCAA II 28 $7,754

Bemidji State University NCAA II 26 $3,778

What is different is the tuition.

St. Michaels $39,015 / $39,015

Southern New Hampshire University $28,884 / $28,884

Lake Superior State University $9,960 / $14,880

Bemidji State University $8,124 / $8,124

I believe the Scholarship Athlete and Non Scholarship athlete are still eligible for need based financial aid. They only players who pay full freight are the kids that go to Bowdoin, Colby, Middlebury, etc who were full pays in Prep School or the like, i.e don't qualify for need based financial aid. With these kids, money is not an issue!

Need based but can't the coach make a visit to the F.A. office and get a few favors??? That's how it's done, right?

Financial aid is like a coupon. It is not real money!! It is budgeted in. The financial aid application is a guide to help schools determine what a students family can afford. If a coach goes into the FA office and lobbies for the player he may be able to increase the award if the budget allows. With division three its not like you have to have the player! If he was that type of player, he would likely be going Division 1. If a schools President and Alumni decide they need to give a program a shot in the arm than perhaps they loosen the purse strings some. Student loans are real money!

I would be curious what others know about financial aid?

Go all the way down to the bottom of the page and read the asterisk.. the scholarship award you are looking at is the average of all sports. So in the case of St A's and St mike's etc that is money for baseball, basketball, football and other sports, not hockey.

Look its pretty simple really, the only schools that have D2 hockey are the 6 listed in my earlier post. They do NOT give athletic scholarships for hockey because they play a D3 schedule. If they decided to play the D2 teams and D1 they could give money. They play against D3 teams so they agreed no scholarships.

Bemidji, Minn Mankato, Bently, etc etc are D2 schools that give scholarships but they play at the D1 level.

Gottcha. Thanks for clarifying and honestly with all of the schools adding lacrosse (not to mention the lower cost, shorter 'season,' no need for a year or two of Jr.s...) I regret my kid stayed with hockey. In our town I'm seeing clearly un-athletic kids / overweight, slow...walking right onto D-3 teams and quasi-athletic kids going d-1 with athletic kids getting full rides.

Oh to do it over again.

Give me a third string division 3 defensive bac, a lax stick and about 15 minutes and I will give you a division 1 All American lax player!! Biggest bunch of wine and cheese pussies ever!

Jim Brown
Give me a third string division 3 defensive bac, a lax stick and about 15 minutes and I will give you a division 1 All American lax player!! Biggest bunch of wine and cheese pussies ever!

I love this post. So true.