The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advice

Son is 15, has a goal of playing College Hockey, not ready to leave home for Prep, Local U16 not very strong, Public High School team is D8...Trying to determine best path for him. Very good player, Very good team guy, scores a lot of goals in Elite/Tier 1 hockey. What path would you or did you consider to get to college?

Re: Advice

You're gonna have to help on the geography a bit to get good advice. Why would he need to board to play Prep? What are the "Local U16" teams that aren't good?

It sounds like he needs to play full season, but would need to know where you are to recommend.

Anon
You're gonna have to help on the geography a bit to get good advice. Why would he need to board to play Prep? What are the "Local U16" teams that aren't good?

It sounds like he needs to play full season, but would need to know where you are to recommend.
Longmeadow MA area

Based upon where you live, a prep school is the best option but only you know if you can invest the coin that it takes. Prep and some half season hockey let's him develop academically, physically and athletically and then in a year or two see where he is at. If he's progressing as a player then great. Junior,senior years become a year to year deal to see what options he might be good enough and want to take (USHL). If not but he's doing well academically then there are many other options to consider.

You can't know where a 15 year old will be when he's 17 or 18 so make the best decision for him today where he can grow in all aspects of his development and then course correct in a couple of years based upon where he is at.

You may want to consider Pope Francis. High School hockey is down but that is a very good program. They beat Hingham tonight (6-0) and will be playing for the Super 8 title vs BC High on Saturday. If he grows out of it after a few years then you can look at Prep, FS or Jr's. Otherwise, base off of where you live and your son wanting to stay home Pics , Jr Bruins or Wolfpack

I don't think I'd waste too much time in high school hockey. The kid will get more ice time at a full season team as an under classmen than high school. So if he has a legitimate chance and he has the size then play F.S. and progress to better leagues with the end result being either NAHL or USHL. Good luck

anon
I don't think I'd waste too much time in high school hockey. The kid will get more ice time at a full season team as an under classmen than high school. So if he has a legitimate chance and he has the size then play F.S. and progress to better leagues with the end result being either NAHL or USHL. Good luck
Maybe true but 1 1/2 hours each way to Marlborough, is a long ride 3-5x weekly. U16 Pics might be decent. I would speak to the Pope and coaches to see where your son may fit. That seems like the most logical play.

02 or 03

Both can be 15 right now

Anon
02 or 03

Both can be 15 right now
What difference does birth year make?

Sounds like the Pics are your only option. Pope Francis isn't getting him to college hockey (or let's just say it's extremely rare right now). If you're OK making the drive to NESC, the Junior Bruins are probably stronger than the Pics, but you'd better get going. Tryouts started last night. And it's a tough team to make - not a given by any means.

Anon
Anon
02 or 03

Both can be 15 right now

Sounds like the Pics are your only option. Pope Francis isn't getting him to college hockey (or let's just say it's extremely rare right now). If you're OK making the drive to NESC, the Junior Bruins are probably stronger than the Pics, but you'd better get going. Tryouts started last night. And it's a tough team to make - not a given by any means.
Last night was a free skate. Tryouts are next weekend. That is a long drive 3-5 times a week. Check out the Pics. Pope is absolutely a good step towards college. Plenty of players transfer to prep prior to graduation after graduation as PG or play junior after high school. Many different ways to get there. If the goal is D1 don't worry. If he has what it takes and willing to work hard he will get there no matter which path he takes.

Go to the Garden(TD ) Saturday and watch them play BC high for Super 8 Championship. Will give you a better idea. Make note how long it takes to get to Marlborough on your drive in Ha ha

Anon
Anon
Anon
02 or 03

Both can be 15 right now

Sounds like the Pics are your only option. Pope Francis isn\'t getting him to college hockey (or let\'s just say it\'s extremely rare right now). If you\'re OK making the drive to NESC, the Junior Bruins are probably stronger than the Pics, but you\'d better get going. Tryouts started last night. And it\'s a tough team to make - not a given by any means.
Last night was a free skate. Tryouts are next weekend. That is a long drive 3-5 times a week. Check out the Pics. Pope is absolutely a good step towards college. Plenty of players transfer to prep prior to graduation after graduation as PG or play junior after high school. Many different ways to get there. If the goal is D1 don't worry. If he has what it takes and willing to work hard he will get there no matter which path he takes.

Go to the Garden(TD ) Saturday and watch them play BC high for Super 8 Championship. Will give you a better idea. Make note how long it takes to get to Marlborough on your drive in Ha ha
Why would you feel the need to try to discredit what I wrote when what I wrote is accurate?

The ID Skate is the first stage of the tryouts. So, tryouts started last night. You want to give them as much exposure to your kid as possible. It's a tough team to make.

And, if you were there, you would have seen that all the kids with MIAA stickers on their helmets were overmatched. It's bad hockey. The "plenty of players" transferring from SC days are over.

And I pointed out it's a long drive. But, other players do it. Take a look at the Juniors rosters. They're doing it. Frankie Vatrano did it. That's sort of the OP's choice, isn't it?

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
02 or 03

Both can be 15 right now

Sounds like the Pics are your only option. Pope Francis isn\\\'t getting him to college hockey (or let\\\'s just say it\\\'s extremely rare right now). If you\\\'re OK making the drive to NESC, the Junior Bruins are probably stronger than the Pics, but you\\\'d better get going. Tryouts started last night. And it\\\'s a tough team to make - not a given by any means.
Last night was a free skate. Tryouts are next weekend. That is a long drive 3-5 times a week. Check out the Pics. Pope is absolutely a good step towards college. Plenty of players transfer to prep prior to graduation after graduation as PG or play junior after high school. Many different ways to get there. If the goal is D1 don\'t worry. If he has what it takes and willing to work hard he will get there no matter which path he takes.

Why would you feel the need to try to discredit what I wrote when what I wrote is accurate?

The ID Skate is the first stage of the tryouts. So, tryouts started last night. You want to give them as much exposure to your kid as possible. It's a tough team to make.

And, if you were there, you would have seen that all the kids with MIAA stickers on their helmets were overmatched. It's bad hockey. The "plenty of players" transferring from SC days are over.

And I pointed out it's a long drive. But, other players do it. Take a look at the Juniors rosters. They're doing it. Frankie Vatrano did it. That's sort of the OP's choice, isn't it?
Did not try to discredit you. Definitely not my intention. Wanted the OP to understand that he did not " Miss The Boat". I think the Jr Bruins is the best option but 3 hours a day in the car 3-5 days per week will be a consideration for all.

PICs seems like a reasonable alternative. Pope is a good program and for an 02 or 03 is a great option if looking beyond to Prep, Jr's and college.

MIAA hockey has fallen off for sure. Super 8 caliber teams are still pretty strong. Plenty of good players mixed in on many, many teams but the overall product has become diluted.

OP's choice just throwing in my 2cents which I tend to do from time to time.

Good luck in any case

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
02 or 03

Both can be 15 right now

Sounds like the Pics are your only option. Pope Francis isn\\\\\\\'t getting him to college hockey (or let\\\\\\\'s just say it\\\\\\\'s extremely rare right now). If you\\\\\\\'re OK making the drive to NESC, the Junior Bruins are probably stronger than the Pics, but you\\\\\\\'d better get going. Tryouts started last night. And it\\\\\\\'s a tough team to make - not a given by any means.
Last night was a free skate. Tryouts are next weekend. That is a long drive 3-5 times a week. Check out the Pics. Pope is absolutely a good step towards college. Plenty of players transfer to prep prior to graduation after graduation as PG or play junior after high school. Many different ways to get there. If the goal is D1 don\\\'t worry. If he has what it takes and willing to work hard he will get there no matter which path he takes.

The ID Skate is the first stage of the tryouts. So, tryouts started last night. You want to give them as much exposure to your kid as possible. It\'s a tough team to make.

And, if you were there, you would have seen that all the kids with MIAA stickers on their helmets were overmatched. It\'s bad hockey. The \"plenty of players\" transferring from SC days are over.

And I pointed out it\'s a long drive. But, other players do it. Take a look at the Juniors rosters. They\'re doing it. Frankie Vatrano did it. That\'s sort of the OP\'s choice, isn\'t it?
Did not try to discredit you. Definitely not my intention. Wanted the OP to understand that he did not " Miss The Boat". I think the Jr Bruins is the best option but 3 hours a day in the car 3-5 days per week will be a consideration for all.

PICs seems like a reasonable alternative. Pope is a good program and for an 02 or 03 is a great option if looking beyond to Prep, Jr's and college.

MIAA hockey has fallen off for sure. Super 8 caliber teams are still pretty strong. Plenty of good players mixed in on many, many teams but the overall product has become diluted.

OP's choice just throwing in my 2cents which I tend to do from time to time.

Good luck in any case
Heard there might be plenty of openings on JB U16 as a number of kids are moving on to Cushing!

What’s the difference between the BJB national bound tryout and the non national bound tryout listed on the website?

Anon
What’s the difference between the BJB national bound tryout and the non national bound tryout listed on the website?
One is intending to try to qualify for Nattys and the other one isn't. NB teams aren't allowed to hold tryouts until April.

The way the BJB teams work is, try out, they will slot your kid where they see him as being the best fit. We tried out for one team last year and were placed on another, which was fine with us. Good fit, he'll be back next year, has signed our contract.

Go to Pope Francis and then try to transfer to prep for your junior or senior year. If you live in Longmeadow you have plenty of prep options that do not require boarding. If you don't like Pope, then Pics to prep. You save money targeting prep hockey for junior year. Besides with post grads your kid will probably be on JV as a freshman and maybe sophomore.

Anon
Go to Pope Francis and then try to transfer to prep for your junior or senior year. If you live in Longmeadow you have plenty of prep options that do not require boarding. If you don't like Pope, then Pics to prep. You save money targeting prep hockey for junior year. Besides with post grads your kid will probably be on JV as a freshman and maybe sophomore.
Pics to Prep is the plan.

Are the PICS NB?

Anon
Anon
Go to Pope Francis and then try to transfer to prep for your junior or senior year. If you live in Longmeadow you have plenty of prep options that do not require boarding. If you don\'t like Pope, then Pics to prep. You save money targeting prep hockey for junior year. Besides with post grads your kid will probably be on JV as a freshman and maybe sophomore.
Don't discount Pope. Go see them today at the garden . 5:45pm vs BC High.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Go to Pope Francis and then try to transfer to prep for your junior or senior year. If you live in Longmeadow you have plenty of prep options that do not require boarding. If you don\\\'t like Pope, then Pics to prep. You save money targeting prep hockey for junior year. Besides with post grads your kid will probably be on JV as a freshman and maybe sophomore.
Don't discount Pope. Go see them today at the garden . 5:45pm vs BC High.
Not discounting them at all. I graduated from the old Cathedral but only graduating a few seniors this year so would most likely sit and watch for a year. Hope they can bring home a championship today, would mean a lot for our area.

anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Go to Pope Francis and then try to transfer to prep for your junior or senior year. If you live in Longmeadow you have plenty of prep options that do not require boarding. If you don\\\\\\\'t like Pope, then Pics to prep. You save money targeting prep hockey for junior year. Besides with post grads your kid will probably be on JV as a freshman and maybe sophomore.
Don\'t discount Pope. Go see them today at the garden . 5:45pm vs BC High.
Not discounting them at all. I graduated from the old Cathedral but only graduating a few seniors this year so would most likely sit and watch for a year. Hope they can bring home a championship today, would mean a lot for our area.
Got it. Should be a Great Game !!