Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BC Announces Cuts This Fall

Anon
Anon
You people are idiots, this has nothing to do with having too many commitments, this happens several times per year with teams that have players don\'t perform to expectations. They get cut and lose their scholarships, and have to look for other teams.
Thank you for your extremely condescending reply.

So, you have a kid at BC?

No?

Because from what I'm told by a parent that does (or did), this is not the norm.
^^ Gotta go with this guy on the topic. If this was the norm, it wouldn't be talked about. Coaches may make it miserable for a poor performing player and they decide to transfer out, but find me a current rostered player that has been asked to go back to junior hockey. BC setting a new precedent! Verbal commits beware!

anon
Anon
Anon
You people are idiots, this has nothing to do with having too many commitments, this happens several times per year with teams that have players don\\\'t perform to expectations. They get cut and lose their scholarships, and have to look for other teams.

No?

Because from what I\'m told by a parent that does (or did), this is not the norm.
^^ Gotta go with this guy on the topic. If this was the norm, it wouldn't be talked about. Coaches may make it miserable for a poor performing player and they decide to transfer out, but find me a current rostered player that has been asked to go back to junior hockey. BC setting a new precedent! Verbal commits beware!
I'm sure it happens at other schools, for example, after a coaching change. I'm not aware that it has happened at BC.

To openly have it broadcast that there are cuts are not the norm, but kids getting pushed out, told to look elsewhere, not getting playing time etc etc. happen every year on most teams and certainly in teh top programs. Also happens in every sport. Comittments mean little. A scholarship or partial is only good for one year. Schools have the power and that's why comittments are made so freely. They have many outs while kids have few options.

And for the guy who said CHL will benefit, why is that exactly? If your kid is a good player looking to play NCAA, and maybe a long shot for professional hockey, CHL with a 20 year old age limit is a better option because he might get cut?

I'm sure it's because CHL doesn't make cuts, right? Jeesh people are stupid.

Anon
Anon
You people are idiots, this has nothing to do with having too many commitments, this happens several times per year with teams that have players don\'t perform to expectations. They get cut and lose their scholarships, and have to look for other teams.

No?

Because from what I'm told by a parent that does (or did), this is not the norm.
No, but I have kid on another Hockey East team, and this stuff happens more than you think. It's not just reported on that much.

Anon
Anon
Anon
You people are idiots, this has nothing to do with having too many commitments, this happens several times per year with teams that have players don\\\'t perform to expectations. They get cut and lose their scholarships, and have to look for other teams.

No?

Because from what I\'m told by a parent that does (or did), this is not the norm.
No, but I have kid on another Hockey East team, and this stuff happens more than you think. It's not just reported on that much.
They should fix the system. If a school offers then they instantly sign a NLI and are locked in. Secondly, teams cant have more than 24 kids on roster/signed NLI included. Schools shouldnt be allowed to take a kid into school and have him play a season then cut him. Kid is then without a team and has to sit out an entire year.

College S U C K S!

I think this hurts BC's hockey recruiting prospects in the long run although it appears some within the program no longer care about the long run. Hopefully the depths of what is going on at the Hockey Heights will get exposed to allow the next round of "recruits" to make an informed decision about what type of program they are signing up for. Don't over-commit leaving kids' futures hanging in the balance. Have some integrity. Ironic how York is pushing SEVERAL kids away he committed to while at the same time finds room for a kid who already de-committed from 2 colleges. Two peas in a pod. What comes around goes around and I doubt the new kid ever plays for BC.

And the NCAA will do this why? Oh because you asked so nicely? Ok maybe but don't hold your breath. They are a cartel that controls the system, takes free labor and profits off it in the billions. My guess is that they will probably not voluntarily change unless the SCOTUS forces them to but that takes someone on the outside with millions of dollars and the patience to fight it out through the courts for many years. Not going to happen.

Most players who are cut didn't have scholarships to begin with. These are 1/4 or 2/4 kids with the money back end loaded.

anon
Most players who are cut didn't have scholarships to begin with. These are 1/4 or 2/4 kids with the money back end loaded.
That's not entirely correct.

I'm sorry your BC Eagle wannabe got cut. :joy:

anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
You people are idiots, this has nothing to do with having too many commitments, this happens several times per year with teams that have players don\\\\\\'t perform to expectations. They get cut and lose their scholarships, and have to look for other teams.

No?

Because from what I\\'m told by a parent that does (or did), this is not the norm.
They should fix the system. If a school offers then they instantly sign a NLI and are locked in. Secondly, teams cant have more than 24 kids on roster/signed NLI included. Schools shouldnt be allowed to take a kid into school and have him play a season then cut him. Kid is then without a team and has to sit out an entire year.
It has nothing to do with that, it's about performance, and like other have said, you sign your scholarship/NLI on a yearly basis. Waiting for our letter as we speak that locks him in to his scholarship amount for the upcoming season.

But the guy's point was how the control is all in the schools hands even when the kid isn't on the roster. In pro sports you get cut, you're a free agent - college not so much as you're out of the game.

"Schools shouldn't be allowed to take a kid into school and have him play a season then cut him. Kid is then without a team and has to sit out an entire year."

As for BC, there are current players who are worthy of being cut not just commits not being invited in. But with the way they set-up the roster with connected kids - current NHL front office kids, former NHL'er's kids, legacy upon legacy kids... - the long term damage to the reputation of the program would be at stake in hockey circles. Live in learn I guess.

It's always amazing how much time parents put into junior getting an athletic scholarship and how little they know about how the system works. Also how shocked they are in sports like lacrosse when they learn how little money there is for the size of the roster the money goes to support.

Schools have all the control but BC is not making cuts simply because they can, it's because they want to win. Many of their sports are down and they don't want hockey to follow the same path. They got caught a few years back with not enough commits and when more players then expected turned pro, they had to bring in kids that they didn't necessarily want to but had no choice. So they over recruited and now some of those kids who received unexpected opportunities will now see them taken away.

Chalk it up to an early life lesson for junior even though it should be illegal that the NCAA is allowed to operate the way they are but they are smart and will do anything to protect their cartel and monopoly. When the Northwestern football team sued they squashed that with cost of attendance stipends. Short money for the NCAA compared to what they would lose if their cartel were to be challenged through the court system but no one wants to commit the time and money to break it.

Just don't cut The Lil' Super Star! I enjoy the turnovers, cheap penalties and seeing him get bundled!!!!

Don't worry, Dad will find him a spot.

Wrong. This is upsetting the apple cart and school's avoid it.
They do not want to get a reputation of sucker punching kids (offering them $ and a roster spot then taking it away AFTER the kid passed up other opportunities).
It's not cool. This will not help recruiting. Other coaches will say "BC cuts the bottom third of the roster every season. At ___our school___ when we make a commitment to you we remain committed."
Why would a kid take that chance?

You don't get it. Every top team does this so no one can claim they will honor the comittment for four years. This public disclosure of making cuts will have no impact on other schools or kids decisions.

Anon
Wrong. This is upsetting the apple cart and school's avoid it.
They do not want to get a reputation of sucker punching kids (offering them $ and a roster spot then taking it away AFTER the kid passed up other opportunities).
It's not cool. This will not help recruiting. Other coaches will say "BC cuts the bottom third of the roster every season. At ___our school___ when we make a commitment to you we remain committed."
Why would a kid take that chance?
You have no idea on what your talking about

BC was / is too young.

They tried an experiment and it failed. That's pretty much the whole story.

And BC was / is too committed to connected kids.

They tried an experiment and it failed. That's pretty much the whole story.

York gone after next year’s losing season....1/2 commits will be gassed, rebuild...

BC will win Hockey East this year.

The "top" hockey schools (BC, BU, MN, MI) rely too much on NTDP players who come in much younger than the players at the teams that now win championships (MN-D, Denver, Quinnipiac, Yale). The Big Guys have to realize that you can't win with a team full of superstars--you need some role players to do the dirty work. [They might want to watch Miracle a couple times.] By making these cuts BC is just trading one group of early stars for another. They will continue to lose until they get back to playing big boy hockey. Having a couple 20 year old freshmen D over 6 feet tall might be a good start.