Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: D3

Anything is possible.
Go to the website Nescac hockey recruits
Let the data speak for itself.

Maybe low level D-3...or pick the best school you can get into and play Club Hockey and focus on academics. ACHA, look it up, every school has it. All the dad’s who are amazed at D-3 hockey will say Club Hockey is no good, but neither is low level D-3. Plus you can get a degree that matters

Serious question. If your kid is good enough for D3 or low level D1 how do you go about getting any interest from the hockey programs of the schools he's looking to get in to. Does emailing or trying to call the coaching staff actually work? Have his current coach or previous coaches reach out for him? Not sure how this works.

All of the above. Just hold off on declaring that he's good enough. Others will be the judge of that.

anon
Serious question. If your kid is good enough for D3 or low level D1 how do you go about getting any interest from the hockey programs of the schools he's looking to get in to. Does emailing or trying to call the coaching staff actually work? Have his current coach or previous coaches reach out for him? Not sure how this works.
My kid is similar to yours, pretty certain he'll play D-III, outside shot at D-I.

My experience this past admissions season was, apply academically to the schools your kid is most interested in, arrange to do an admitted student visit, and as a part of that visit, have your kid tell his assigned admissions counselor he wants to meet with a member of the coaching staff. The school wants your money, even net of scholarship - academic or athletic, who cares? A buck is a buck.

And, being an admitted student gives you WAY more leverage with the coach than a potential applicant has. The admissions director should make sure a coach is there for you to talk with.

The reality is, unless your kid is a 1st or 2nd round prospect and a lock for D-I, they don't want your kid until he's 21. MAYBE 20. In rare cases, a D-III school will take a kid right out of HS, if he fills a specific need. Every coach we met with said the same thing. So, have him plan to play junior for the best possible team that he can get consistent ice with. The coaches will go see him play without your having emailed or contacted them.

I know people here like to look down their noses at Tier III junior. If you look at the commitment list for EHL, and some teams in the USPHL, you'll see, it's pretty impressive. EHL coaches and GMs know, if they are getting commitments for their players, it makes their program more attractive, which gives them a better talent pool to draw from for next year.

Just like applying to Harvard, MIT or Stanford, having him "reach" on a junior program just so he can say he's in the NA or the U, and be a 4th liner/3rd pair D or worse, a healthy scratch, isn't going to get him noticed.

anon
http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles/2012/12/top-10-recruiting-tips.php

anon
anon
Serious question. If your kid is good enough for D3 or low level D1 how do you go about getting any interest from the hockey programs of the schools he\'s looking to get in to. Does emailing or trying to call the coaching staff actually work? Have his current coach or previous coaches reach out for him? Not sure how this works.
http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles/2012/12/top-10-recruiting-tips.php
World has changed since 2012.

What type of sat score are they looking for at a COLBY? Will they bend a little for a talented player? Are they only looking at NCDC or NA

ANAM
WHAT TYPE OF SAT SCORE ARE THEY LOOKING FOR AT A COLBY? WILL THEY BEND SOME FOR A TALENTED PLAYER? ARE THEY ONLY LOOKING AT NA OR NCDC
I can promise you they won't bend enough for someone that doesn't know enough to turn their Caps Lock off.