email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Club team beats a D-1

Anon
It's not a surprise, LIU has very large roster, probably played a number of those kids to get some ice time. At the same time Liberty has 3 club teams, Div I, II, III, their Div team is loaded with Canadian kids who have aged out of major juniors, so yes, they don't suck
Details matter

anon
Anon
It's not a surprise, LIU has very large roster, probably played a number of those kids to get some ice time. At the same time Liberty has 3 club teams, Div I, II, III, their Div team is loaded with Canadian kids who have aged out of major juniors, so yes, they don't suck
Details matter
It's also an online school, started by Jerry Falwell. Not exactly a bastion of higher education.

Other sports are NCAA D-I.

Anon
anon
Anon
Details matter
It's also an online school, started by Jerry Falwell. Not exactly a bastion of higher education.

It may have online classes, but it also has a very large campus

Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
It\'s not a surprise, LIU has very large roster, probably played a number of those kids to get some ice time. At the same time Liberty has 3 club teams, Div I, II, III, their Div team is loaded with Canadian kids who have aged out of major juniors, so yes, they don\'t suck
Details matter

It's 85% online. That's more than "online classes."

Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
It\'s not a surprise, LIU has very large roster, probably played a number of those kids to get some ice time. At the same time Liberty has 3 club teams, Div I, II, III, their Div team is loaded with Canadian kids who have aged out of major juniors, so yes, they don\'t suck
Details matter

The school isn't typically 85% online, it must be a Covid thing right now

In the 2-1 loss LIU had vs Liberty the 1st night, LIU out shot Liberty 50-28. Let's not get too excited here. LIU has a very large roster of lower end DI players who weren't playing at other schools for the most. Liberty is loaded with 25 year-old age out from major juniors in Canada.

And to be specific, they have 7 Canadians and 2 Russians playing club hockey in Virginia on their D1 ACHA team, not your typical college club hockey team?

Anon
And to be specific, they have 7 Canadians and 2 Russians playing club hockey in Virginia on their D1 ACHA team, not your typical college club hockey team?
Most would be surprised as to the composition of some of these club teams. Kids who play top level Jrs. and decide to focus on academics, kids who want to choose a school rather than have the school choosing them, better prep school kids who have had enough. . . Seriously, I went and watched a local D-3 game and to think 4-5 kids off of a local Club Team like BC or NH couldn't play D-3 is laughable.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
It\\'s not a surprise, LIU has very large roster, probably played a number of those kids to get some ice time. At the same time Liberty has 3 club teams, Div I, II, III, their Div team is loaded with Canadian kids who have aged out of major juniors, so yes, they don\\'t suck
Details matter

Sorry, but you're wrong. Team wanted to recruit my kid last year. We looked into it - for five minutes. Athletics good, education worse than bad.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
It\\'s not a surprise, LIU has very large roster, probably played a number of those kids to get some ice time. At the same time Liberty has 3 club teams, Div I, II, III, their Div team is loaded with Canadian kids who have aged out of major juniors, so yes, they don\\'t suck
Details matter

Sorry, but you're wrong. Team wanted to recruit my kid last year. We looked into it - for five minutes. Athletics good, education worse than bad.
Congrats on your kid being recruited for Club hockey

Anon
One problem with your theory , you can’t play club hockey if you have played in the CHL.....swing and a miss.

Anon
Anon
One problem with your theory , you can’t play club hockey if you have played in the CHL.....swing and a miss.
Swing and a hit, there are no rules that prohibit someone who played Major Juniors in the CHL from playin Club Hockey in the US, Liberty's Club team is loaded with them, thanks for the softball!

C. A student-athlete who was rostered by a CHL program shall be restricted by the additional following ACHA eligibility policy rules:

Players rostered on a CHL team in the season during which they turn 18 years of age on or before September 15 are ineligible to compete in the ACHA.

Players rostered on a CHL team in the season during which they turn 17 years of age on or before September 15 are subject to the ACHA CHL Residency Rule. (see rule below)

Players rostered on a CHL team in the season during which they do not yet turn 17 years of age on or before September 15 are not subject to the ACHA CHL Residency Rule.

* CHL Residency Rule: Residency is defined as 365 days from enrollment at the prospective team's university. Student-athlete must also be enrolled and taking the minimum credit requirement as defined by their ACHA division.

Can't believe I wasted the time looking but according to the Liberty ACHA D1 teams Elite Prospects page there are no former CHL players, mostly former Tier 2 and USPHL guys. You see, if you took the 2 seconds to look it up on Google instead of spouting off about something you don't know about you'd find that the only CHL guys who are allowed to play D1 Club played as 16 or 17 year olds and even then they have to sit out a year while attending the school. Now ask yourself how many kids who are good enough to make a CHL roster as a 16 or 17 year old are going to pay to play freaking club hockey and redshirt a year for the privilege at that in the U.S.? I'm sure it has happened here and there but it's far from common. Now on the other hand what the D1 ACHA teams are full of is former AAA and AA kids and Tier 3 Junior kids (and occasional Tier 2 Junior kids) located in areas where there is not a lot of NCAA D3 teams.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/4852/liberty-univ.?tab=stats#players

Son left USHL to play club, did he beat a rule?

*Break a rule?

The USHL isn't Major Junior or CHL so no, he didn't break a rule. Also it's not exactly rare for depth guys in the USHL to go to top ACHA D1 programs, in fact Penn State when they were Club or Ohio University to name two had lots of them.