Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: D1 Commits

Most (More than 50%) of these D1 commits will never see D1 college ice. In fact, I would be willing to bet the number might be closer to 75% will never see D1 college ice. There's just too much competition now compared to even 10-20 years ago. Add in the transfer portal for the next four years and the numbers get even worse.

Now, my statement is also probably not true for every D1 college team. Most D1 college teams "over commit" and eventually just tell the kids "thanks, but no thanks". Some colleges just commit and recruit what they actually need and will use.

So why would a player commit early? Makes more sense to play your Jr hockey, prove yourself, then pick what school you want to go to.

You commit and then the better teams / leagues like the USHL will pick a player up so they can then claim the have X number of D-1 commits even though they had nothing to do with it.

Also once a kid commits, your D-1 coach can get you a preferred Jr. team slot with one phone call because the Jr. might have uncommitted players worthy of a D-1 team.

It's a dirty world out there.

anon
You commit and then the better teams / leagues like the USHL will pick a player up so they can then claim the have X number of D-1 commits even though they had nothing to do with it.

Also once a kid commits, your D-1 coach can get you a preferred Jr. team slot with one phone call because the Jr. might have uncommitted players worthy of a D-1 team.

Got it. The next 12-16 months are gonna be fun!

anon

Sounds good, but the reality is more USHL teams have 100% D1 commits so they really don't care about that. They want to win.

Also USHL has a draft and protected lists so the D1 coach really doens't have much to say about who drafts you and where you play.

You kind of get it.

USHL teams have 100% D1 commits BECAUSE they pick-up early commits.

anon
You kind of get it.

USHL teams have 100% D1 commits BECAUSE they pick-up early commits.
They pick up the early commits that can play. There are not that many USHL teams compared to D1 so it’s easy pickings.

USHL coaches and GM will take a big time school commitment serious. Example if they have an Atlantic Kid or for example a UNH player out playing the Minnesotta, BU, BC, Ohio State kid and have to cut one player at deadline It’s going to be the lower end school player cut. It’s sad but this is the world we live in.

It happens all the time at college level to when NHL draft picks/ national development team players struggle. You always see them in the line up because the coaches don’t want to **** off the NHL teams.

Anon
USHL coaches and GM will take a big time school commitment serious. Example if they have an Atlantic Kid or for example a UNH player out playing the Minnesotta, BU, BC, Ohio State kid and have to cut one player at deadline It’s going to be the lower end school player cut. It’s sad but this is the world we live in.

It happens all the time at college level to when NHL draft picks/ national development team players struggle. You always see them in the line up because the coaches don’t want to **** off the NHL teams.
most Atlantic team players are from the NAHL or other Canadian Jr A programs, look it up

Anon
Anon

most Atlantic team players are from the NAHL or other Canadian Jr A programs, look it up
Exactly my point dude.. They start in the USHL then get dropped at roster cut time then head right back to the NAHL teams that own there rights.

No they typically don't start in the ushl.

Your first mistake was paying for a subscription to NZ. Those bozos wouldn’t know a hockey player if he gave them a pair of Arabian goggles.

Larry
Your first mistake was paying for a subscription to NZ. Those bozos wouldn’t know a hockey player if he gave them a pair of Arabian goggles.
But they "like my player" soooooooooo he's basically going pro! I don't get how they can like every player? You can like a player that goes D1, that's easy. You can kinda like a player going D3, but there must be reason he's not going D1, you cant like a player the same way that is going college club, or lower level D3...can you? Or be honest about it, I like this player but hes a bad skater, or I like this player but hes just not smart with the puck..Carry on with your day.

So this shouldn't be all that hard to figure out. They are creating a product that they want to sell. In order to sell it they need people who want to buy it. It would be bad for business to insult your paying customers that their kid wasn't any good. Glad i was able to help now carry on with your day.