Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
playing in college

Was at a rink behind glass watching a tournament and started chatting up the guy next to me. Found out he was a college coach, so started asking him some stuff about playing in college nowadays.
He said to check out a particular player on the ice, he looked like a very good player to me and applied to his D3 school. He told me he had about 50 other players contacting him for a similar spot and has to make a decision. I was shocked, I knew playing in college has got more competitive but this kid looked really good and to not be a lock at D3 surprised me. Boy have times changed.

Re: playing in college

anon
Was at a rink behind glass watching a tournament and started chatting up the guy next to me. Found out he was a college coach, so started asking him some stuff about playing in college nowadays.
He said to check out a particular player on the ice, he looked like a very good player to me and applied to his D3 school. He told me he had about 50 other players contacting him for a similar spot and has to make a decision. I was shocked, I knew playing in college has got more competitive but this kid looked really good and to not be a lock at D3 surprised me. Boy have times changed.

It doesn't surprise me sadly. There's so much competition not just in hockey but in everything when it comes to getting into college. I've heard of kids in all AP courses with 4.5 gpas who can only go to state schools. It really doesn't even matter how much money a family has anymore. Colleges want kids from diverse backgrounds. If your kid is white you're in trouble basically.

I would imagine this is why parents get crazy anytime their kid is slightly good at anything. They know how many other kids will be lined up for college when the time comes. There is competition to get into colleges with kids all over the world. Everyone wants to go to the top schools in the US.

It has become pathetic if you ask me. College has become so overrated but no one would ever dream of just not sending their kid to college because that's bad parenting right ?

I don't blame parents for hoping their kids get into college based on hockey and it's why the sport can be so intense. It's because it IS a way into college if the kids are good enough

Anon
anon

It doesn\'t surprise me sadly. There\'s so much competition not just in hockey but in everything when it comes to getting into college. I\'ve heard of kids in all AP courses with 4.5 gpas who can only go to state schools. It really doesn\'t even matter how much money a family has anymore. Colleges want kids from diverse backgrounds. If your kid is white you\'re in trouble basically.

I would imagine this is why parents get crazy anytime their kid is slightly good at anything. They know how many other kids will be lined up for college when the time comes. There is competition to get into colleges with kids all over the world. Everyone wants to go to the top schools in the US.

It has become pathetic if you ask me. College has become so overrated but no one would ever dream of just not sending their kid to college because that\'s bad parenting right ?

I don\'t blame parents for hoping their kids get into college based on hockey and it\'s why the sport can be so intense. It\'s because it IS a way into college if the kids are good enough
4.5 gpa and all AP courses and only getting in state schools?
Stop listening to the idiots you stand next to along the glass while jr coughs up the puck about college admissions criteria.

I have 2 sons in college. One who is a freshman and the other is a junior and both got in to very good schools with ~4.5 GPA and a few AP classes.

State schools are for dummies and poor families.

"State schools are for dummies and poor families."

Yeah. Those Big Ten schools are really crappy and cheap.

Anon
Anon
anon

It doesn\'t surprise me sadly. There\'s so much competition not just in hockey but in everything when it comes to getting into college. I\'ve heard of kids in all AP courses with 4.5 gpas who can only go to state schools. It really doesn\'t even matter how much money a family has anymore. Colleges want kids from diverse backgrounds. If your kid is white you\'re in trouble basically.

It has become pathetic if you ask me. College has become so overrated but no one would ever dream of just not sending their kid to college because that\'s bad parenting right ?

I don\'t blame parents for hoping their kids get into college based on hockey and it\'s why the sport can be so intense. It\'s because it IS a way into college if the kids are good enough
Stop listening to the idiots you stand next to along the glass while jr coughs up the puck about college admissions criteria.

I have 2 sons in college. One who is a freshman and the other is a junior and both got in to very good schools with ~4.5 GPA and a few AP classes.

Posting anonymously your kid's GPA (real or not) years later is pretty dumb

Anon
Anon
anon

It doesn\\\'t surprise me sadly. There\\\'s so much competition not just in hockey but in everything when it comes to getting into college. I\\\'ve heard of kids in all AP courses with 4.5 gpas who can only go to state schools. It really doesn\\\'t even matter how much money a family has anymore. Colleges want kids from diverse backgrounds. If your kid is white you\\\'re in trouble basically.

It has become pathetic if you ask me. College has become so overrated but no one would ever dream of just not sending their kid to college because that\\\'s bad parenting right ?

I don\\\'t blame parents for hoping their kids get into college based on hockey and it\\\'s why the sport can be so intense. It\\\'s because it IS a way into college if the kids are good enough

wow you're nasty. The girl I know who has a 4.9 has a father who has been in and out of rehab. Has a wonderful mother and the parents both have decent jobs...but any school that isn't a state school is goddam expensive...and they have two other kids.

So sadly the 4.9 GPA was kind of wasted on this poor girl. She wont be able to put it to very good use due to cir***stances beyond her control.

If your child has a 4.9 GPA, the academic scholarships come rolling in and you will pay less than a state schools with room and board.

Anon
If your child has a 4.9 GPA, the academic scholarships come rolling in and you will pay less than a state schools with room and board.
That's what I would have thought too. Apparently that isnt happening which is concerning. I think there's just too many kids these days with high GPAs. EVERYONE wants in to college. It's possible she did get scholarship offerings from state schools...but with a 4.9 I'd think you'd be hearing from Harvard or Duke. Nope.

The top private colleges and universities (Ivy League) do not provide merit scholarships. The only aid available is "need based" for families with qualifying income/assets.

They have enough qualified applicants to fill each class entirely with high school valedictorians. Obviously, based upon merit, there wouldn't be a single student enrolled who had to lay out a dime.

It is sad that some very smart students do not have the resources to pay for college. It does make me wonder what pieces to the puzzle are missing in their character, that left them unable to recognize, in advance, that there are costs attached to private education, and plan and prepare to pay those costs if that is the path they wish to take. Intelligence is not their deficit, but maybe discipline, persistence, confidence, etc. are in short supply.

so you think the kids should be figuring this out? lol

I honestly think there are a lot of parents out there who are just hell bent on not paying the full price for college. If that means a state school so be it. For what it's worth there are plenty of people who have gone to state schools and became very successful.

I am not wealthy but I'm prepared to pay whatever it takes for my kids to go to the best school they get accepted to. I think a lot of parents feel the same way i do as well.

I can see how shelling out 60k every year for 4 years isn't that attractive to many and you wonder will they have same path in life if they went to a state school where i paid a lot less?

College has become pretty scammy at the end of the day for most people. The 1% dont care as 60k is chump change to them. Plenty of them run businesses where there kids dont even need to go to college (they could just work for them) but they are still taking the spots from the people who truly need them.

God bless Academia in America.

She can always resort to the oldest profession in the world. Or marry some schmuck with money? That’s what Tik Toc teaches

Father Ted
She can always resort to the oldest profession in the world. Or marry some schmuck with money? That’s what Tik Toc teaches
They do say the easiest way for women to get rich is to marry someone who already is.

Anon
Anon
anon

It doesn\\\'t surprise me sadly. There\\\'s so much competition not just in hockey but in everything when it comes to getting into college. I\\\'ve heard of kids in all AP courses with 4.5 gpas who can only go to state schools. It really doesn\\\'t even matter how much money a family has anymore. Colleges want kids from diverse backgrounds. If your kid is white you\\\'re in trouble basically.

It has become pathetic if you ask me. College has become so overrated but no one would ever dream of just not sending their kid to college because that\\\'s bad parenting right ?

I don\\\'t blame parents for hoping their kids get into college based on hockey and it\\\'s why the sport can be so intense. It\\\'s because it IS a way into college if the kids are good enough

Happened to my nephew. 4.3 GPA and 1560 SAT and got denied at 10 out of the 12 schools he applied to - some WERE state schools. Was pretty shocking and eye opening. I believe they saw him as a white, rich kid from a private Catholic school and didn't want him because of that even though he was a very accomplished actor and has been in some movies - and his family is not exactly loaded but they are not starving either. Was a pretty sad referendum on the current state of admissions officers being afraid to take a white kid that would thrive at their school. I will never understand it.

anon
Anon
Anon
anon

It doesn\\\\\\\'t surprise me sadly. There\\\\\\\'s so much competition not just in hockey but in everything when it comes to getting into college. I\\\\\\\'ve heard of kids in all AP courses with 4.5 gpas who can only go to state schools. It really doesn\\\\\\\'t even matter how much money a family has anymore. Colleges want kids from diverse backgrounds. If your kid is white you\\\\\\\'re in trouble basically.

It has become pathetic if you ask me. College has become so overrated but no one would ever dream of just not sending their kid to college because that\\\\\\\'s bad parenting right ?

I don\\\\\\\'t blame parents for hoping their kids get into college based on hockey and it\\\\\\\'s why the sport can be so intense. It\\\\\\\'s because it IS a way into college if the kids are good enough

Happened to my nephew. 4.3 GPA and 1560 SAT and got denied at 10 out of the 12 schools he applied to - some WERE state schools. Was pretty shocking and eye opening. I believe they saw him as a white, rich kid from a private Catholic school and didn't want him because of that even though he was a very accomplished actor and has been in some movies - and his family is not exactly loaded but they are not starving either. Was a pretty sad referendum on the current state of admissions officers being afraid to take a white kid that would thrive at their school. I will never understand it.
That's terrible.

I do know of two white boys (they're brothers) where one recently got in to holy cross and the other into notre dame. This was in the past few years. Their gpas and sat scores must have been off the charts and they also went to Roxbury Latin. Before that they were at derby since first grade. Parents aren't rich just obsessed with prep schools. I know they had their sights set on Ivy League but at least they didn't end up at state schools. They both had as expensive an education one can get.

I don't think anyone should get in anywhere because they have money but I also don't think someone should get in somewhere because of skin color or because they're from a 3rd world country. The ivies are all about that these days. They want the smart kids who have struggled.

anon
Anon
Anon
anon

It doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t surprise me sadly. There\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s so much competition not just in hockey but in everything when it comes to getting into college. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve heard of kids in all AP courses with 4.5 gpas who can only go to state schools. It really doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t even matter how much money a family has anymore. Colleges want kids from diverse backgrounds. If your kid is white you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re in trouble basically.

It has become pathetic if you ask me. College has become so overrated but no one would ever dream of just not sending their kid to college because that\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s bad parenting right ?

I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t blame parents for hoping their kids get into college based on hockey and it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s why the sport can be so intense. It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s because it IS a way into college if the kids are good enough

Happened to my nephew. 4.3 GPA and 1560 SAT and got denied at 10 out of the 12 schools he applied to - some WERE state schools. Was pretty shocking and eye opening. I believe they saw him as a white, rich kid from a private Catholic school and didn\'t want him because of that even though he was a very accomplished actor and has been in some movies - and his family is not exactly loaded but they are not starving either. Was a pretty sad referendum on the current state of admissions officers being afraid to take a white kid that would thrive at their school. I will never understand it.
Last time I checked, most colleges still admit majority white students in their freshmen class. Maybe your nephew is not as qualified as other white applicants?

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
anon

It doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t surprise me sadly. There\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s so much competition not just in hockey but in everything when it comes to getting into college. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve heard of kids in all AP courses with 4.5 gpas who can only go to state schools. It really doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t even matter how much money a family has anymore. Colleges want kids from diverse backgrounds. If your kid is white you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re in trouble basically.

It has become pathetic if you ask me. College has become so overrated but no one would ever dream of just not sending their kid to college because that\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s bad parenting right ?

I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t blame parents for hoping their kids get into college based on hockey and it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s why the sport can be so intense. It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s because it IS a way into college if the kids are good enough

Happened to my nephew. 4.3 GPA and 1560 SAT and got denied at 10 out of the 12 schools he applied to - some WERE state schools. Was pretty shocking and eye opening. I believe they saw him as a white, rich kid from a private Catholic school and didn\\\'t want him because of that even though he was a very accomplished actor and has been in some movies - and his family is not exactly loaded but they are not starving either. Was a pretty sad referendum on the current state of admissions officers being afraid to take a white kid that would thrive at their school. I will never understand it.
Last time I checked, most colleges still admit majority white students in their freshmen class. Maybe your nephew is not as qualified as other white applicants?
So basically that many people out there have 4.3 GPAs and 1560 SAT scores?

If that's the case then maybe the curriculum and SAT have become too easy...but I dont think that's the case. I just think you're in denial of what is happening. Harvard doesn't even want Asians anymore.

Pathetic. Same crowd that complains about victimhood mentality all the time. Thats the hockey crowd for ya.

You assume your white male kid is better than female students or other students of color AND they were denied opportunity because they have a penis and no melanin on their skin. The gall. I'll tell you what, be better than other white male candidates then. Start there.

Young women are far more empowered and educated than ever before. Minorities prepare their kids for the "college acceptance process" more than ever before. Furthermore GPAs aren't the end-all and haven't been for a long time. Kids are graded on individual tracks of achievement and accomplishments in their communities. So taking all AP courses and grading over the 4.0 scale doesn't mean your kid is smarter, it just means you and your school district are simply gerrymandering the scale in hopes of skewing college acceptance percentages. Secret is out dummies. You all defund school districts and rail against "Leftist" teachers then wonder why your kids cant get in to good colleges.

Also, Universities aren't intolerant Leftist brain washing factories. Maybe, just maybe when kids learn about different experiences, cultures, histories, worldviews, and actual science they stop believing the nonsense some of these garbage parents have been putting in their kids' heads for 18+ years.

"My kid was denied because he's a white male...." some of you sound so dumb.

Last I checked Hockey is 99.9% white, be better at hockey then.

Pssh
Pathetic. Same crowd that complains about victimhood mentality all the time. Thats the hockey crowd for ya.

You assume your white male kid is better than female students or other students of color AND they were denied opportunity because they have a penis and no melanin on their skin. The gall. I'll tell you what, be better than other white male candidates then. Start there.

Young women are far more empowered and educated than ever before. Minorities prepare their kids for the "college acceptance process" more than ever before. Furthermore GPAs aren't the end-all and haven't been for a long time. Kids are graded on individual tracks of achievement and accomplishments in their communities. So taking all AP courses and grading over the 4.0 scale doesn't mean your kid is smarter, it just means you and your school district are simply gerrymandering the scale in hopes of skewing college acceptance percentages. Secret is out dummies. You all defund school districts and rail against "Leftist" teachers then wonder why your kids cant get in to good colleges.

Also, Universities aren't intolerant Leftist brain washing factories. Maybe, just maybe when kids learn about different experiences, cultures, histories, worldviews, and actual science they stop believing the nonsense some of these garbage parents have been putting in their kids' heads for 18+ years.

"My kid was denied because he's a white male...." some of you sound so dumb.

Last I checked Hockey is 99.9% white, be better at hockey then.
First of all my kids haven't applied to college yet, they're still in elementary school. I am just preparing myself for what's coming

You are kidding yourself if you don't think non white kids are taken over white kids ESPECIALLY the past few years. There is a gigantic movement towards diversity, particularly people of color since everything that has happened to them is white people's fault.

There are people who have said their white child who had OVER a 4.0 with stellar SATs and got rejected from many schools. Does that sounds normal to you? It doesn't to me. Meanwhile POC with less get into the better schools these days.

The person i mentioned earlier who has a 4.9 is a white female.

Quite honestly if a 4.0 GPA, high SAT scores and excelling at sports isn't enough then I am fine with my kids not getting in.

Kids have been volunteering and doing community service to be able to put it on an application for decades. Who has it really helped? Do they continue to do it once they get into the school of their choice? most times no.

People are stretched thin as it is trying to get ahead themselves.

So much to unpack here, so here are my highlights.

* Its no secret that college hockey is much better than it was 30 years ago, and significantly more difficult to get a spot.

* College sports are nice, but the career ends so quickly. So, unless your kids is a 5 star football player at Alabama or Ohio State, its a long road to get to a short college career.

* Consider your major. Its hard to succeed in a serious major when playing for a big time team. Possible, but hard.

* State schools are not all for dummies. Univ of Michigan and some of the public colleges in California, for example, are highly regarded.

* Be careful about some of the highly regarded private schools. Many have become indoctrination chambers filled with far, far left radicals who WILL NOT tolerate dissenting views. If you are ok with that, fine. If not, be careful. That said, degrees from some of those schools open doors that degrees from other schools do not.

* It is becoming much easier to get into college. Enrollments overall is way down due to decreasing birth rates and people choosing different options. Applications are also way down.

* Yes, white males have an uphill climb. "Diversity" is a key, key factor. Anyone who claims otherwise is either lying or delusional.

* An extremely high GPA with all AP courses is great, but it often won't be enough unless a candidate couples it with activities. My oldest son had strong grades, but not great grades. He had numerous activities and wrote a solid essay. He got in everywhere he applied (granted, he did not apply to Yale and Williams, but he applied to several very good schools). He also got a lot of academic scholarship money. On the other hand, a family friend has a son who is brilliant - perfect GPA with extremely challenging courses at a top prep school and a perfect ACT. All the super elite schools denied or waitlisted him. White male.

Anon

* Its no secret that college hockey is much better than it was 30 years ago, and significantly more difficult to get a spot.

* College sports are nice, but the career ends so quickly. So, unless your kids is a 5 star football player at Alabama or Ohio State, its a long road to get to a short college career.

* Consider your major. Its hard to succeed in a serious major when playing for a big time team. Possible, but hard.

* State schools are not all for dummies. Univ of Michigan and some of the public colleges in California, for example, are highly regarded.

* Be careful about some of the highly regarded private schools. Many have become indoctrination chambers filled with far, far left radicals who WILL NOT tolerate dissenting views. If you are ok with that, fine. If not, be careful. That said, degrees from some of those schools open doors that degrees from other schools do not.

* It is becoming much easier to get into college. Enrollments overall is way down due to decreasing birth rates and people choosing different options. Applications are also way down.

* Yes, white males have an uphill climb. "Diversity" is a key, key factor. Anyone who claims otherwise is either lying or delusional.

* An extremely high GPA with all AP courses is great, but it often won't be enough unless a candidate couples it with activities. My oldest son had strong grades, but not great grades. He had numerous activities and wrote a solid essay. He got in everywhere he applied (granted, he did not apply to Yale and Williams, but he applied to several very good schools). He also got a lot of academic scholarship money. On the other hand, a family friend has a son who is brilliant - perfect GPA with extremely challenging courses at a top prep school and a perfect ACT. All the super elite schools denied or waitlisted him. White male.
I also agree that state schools are not for dummies and anyone who thinks that is ignorant. Umass Amherst has been considered a very good school since the 90's and seems to have gotten better.

I don't agree that college is getting easier to get into. I do agree that birth rates are down, most people are having less kids these days, some are having none. A lot of this is due to people putting off having kids to work on careers to make that much needed high income to have them (particularly in the Boston area). Many families are two income families these days and it is isn't necessarily convenient to have a lot of kids with both parents working. That said, in the hockey world i continue to see families having 3, 4 sometimes 5 kids.

The thing about the declining birth rate in the US not affecting college applications is that everyone applies to college these days and there are more and more people from other countries applying to the same colleges that our kids are in the US. I'll be honest in that I'm not thrilled about that. I have often wondered why the US seems to be the hub for everything and that has to change. When it comes time to apply for college I'll probably have my kids apply to some schools in Canada - not that plenty of other people aren't already doing that. Overall there is just more competition to get into schools. There's a reason why people with GPAs over 4.0 aren't getting into the schools they want. That never used to happen.

anon
Anon

* Yes, white males have an uphill climb. \"Diversity\" is a key, key factor. Anyone who claims otherwise is either lying or delusional.

* An extremely high GPA with all AP courses is great, but it often won\'t be enough unless a candidate couples it with activities. My oldest son had strong grades, but not great grades. He had numerous activities and wrote a solid essay. He got in everywhere he applied (granted, he did not apply to Yale and Williams, but he applied to several very good schools). He also got a lot of academic scholarship money. On the other hand, a family friend has a son who is brilliant - perfect GPA with extremely challenging courses at a top prep school and a perfect ACT. All the super elite schools denied or waitlisted him. White male.
I also agree that state schools are not for dummies and anyone who thinks that is ignorant. Umass Amherst has been considered a very good school since the 90's and seems to have gotten better.

I don't agree that college is getting easier to get into. I do agree that birth rates are down, most people are having less kids these days, some are having none. A lot of this is due to people putting off having kids to work on careers to make that much needed high income to have them (particularly in the Boston area). Many families are two income families these days and it is isn't necessarily convenient to have a lot of kids with both parents working. That said, in the hockey world i continue to see families having 3, 4 sometimes 5 kids.

The thing about the declining birth rate in the US not affecting college applications is that everyone applies to college these days and there are more and more people from other countries applying to the same colleges that our kids are in the US. I'll be honest in that I'm not thrilled about that. I have often wondered why the US seems to be the hub for everything and that has to change. When it comes time to apply for college I'll probably have my kids apply to some schools in Canada - not that plenty of other people aren't already doing that. Overall there is just more competition to get into schools. There's a reason why people with GPAs over 4.0 aren't getting into the schools they want. That never used to happen.
Absolutely agree. The common app has made total applications at schools explode as many kids now throw out much wider net. Acceptance yield rates at Ivy's, NESCAC's, and hot schools like Northeastern are only going down.

Its crazy now. My friend played D1 years back and told me half his team would be average D3 now. Another friend who played D1 and minor pro told me he sees good D3 players now that would have been a lock for D1 years back when he played.
Tougher than people realize and its gets tougher each year.

anon
Its crazy now. My friend played D1 years back and told me half his team would be average D3 now. Another friend who played D1 and minor pro told me he sees good D3 players now that would have been a lock for D1 years back when he played.
Tougher than people realize and its gets tougher each year.

totally. I know people who got hockey scholarships to D1 schools in the late 90's who never would have today. But it's like that with everything! I know people in the late 90's who got into colleges period that they never would get into today.

They say life is supposed to get easier from generation to generation but as far as getting into good colleges this isn't the case.

Sadly i think people need to find other focuses in life. One's whole life shouldn't be all about where they went to college.

For years I have told my son who is 19 that life isn’t all about college. You want to play hockey, go wherever you can to play and if that means the NCAA calls you ineligible than so be it. Play at the highest level you can, read books, experience life, meet people from all over the world, and when it’s done then decide on college. Young adults have so many opportunities to make a living. This summer he worked 5 tournaments, reffing, time clock, cleaning the rink after etc..made 4500.00. Also used his iPhone to make YouTube videos and turn them into pictures, sold them for $25.00 each..has made another $1000.00.. not bad for 3 months. Remember when if you didn’t have a degree people would say that you would either do hard labor or be a cop, not the case anymore, making a living using your mind and a laptop can bring you six figures by the time your 21.
Anyways, my point is, make sure your kid enjoys whatever path they take to be successful. Life it to short be to be hung up on what admissions office thinks your worthy enough to attend. Full disclosure, 3.6GPA, 1100 SAT, Business

Anon
For years I have told my son who is 19 that life isn’t all about college. You want to play hockey, go wherever you can to play and if that means the NCAA calls you ineligible than so be it. Play at the highest level you can, read books, experience life, meet people from all over the world, and when it’s done then decide on college. Young adults have so many opportunities to make a living. This summer he worked 5 tournaments, reffing, time clock, cleaning the rink after etc..made 4500.00. Also used his iPhone to make YouTube videos and turn them into pictures, sold them for $25.00 each..has made another $1000.00.. not bad for 3 months. Remember when if you didn’t have a degree people would say that you would either do hard labor or be a cop, not the case anymore, making a living using your mind and a laptop can bring you six figures by the time your 21.
Anyways, my point is, make sure your kid enjoys whatever path they take to be successful. Life it to short be to be hung up on what admissions office thinks your worthy enough to attend. Full disclosure, 3.6GPA, 1100 SAT, Business
most of the cops I know in MA have masters degrees..you get paid more for having one.

anon
Anon
most of the cops I know in MA have masters degrees..you get paid more for having one.
Local cops with Master degrees? Where in MA do you live? Ever been to Lynn, Dorchester, Springfield, Holyoke, Southie, Jamaica Plain? No Master degrees there. Great cops but not scholars.

This is pretty hilarious - "State schools are for dummies and poor families."

Having lived and played in the Midwest, this is such a provincial New England post. I suppose paying $70-$80K a year to go to such powerhouses as Bowdoin, Bates, Colby (which no one outside of New England have ever heard of) is so much better than going to Michigan, Wisconsin or Virginia.

Get real.

Anon
anon
Anon
Local cops with Master degrees? Where in MA do you live? Ever been to Lynn, Dorchester, Springfield, Holyoke, Southie, Jamaica Plain? No Master degrees there. Great cops but not scholars.
and that's where you're dumb. Boston cops live in Dorchester and JP...many of them have masters degrees. They get paid more for having them.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
and that's where you're dumb. Boston cops live in Dorchester and JP...many of them have masters degrees. They get paid more for having them.
Ok, what are there roles on the force? This is interesting to me. My wife's family has at least 10 officers in that area so I just called my father in law who is working as I type South Street/ Abrborway JP, and he is just as curious..been on the force for 32 years and knows of 5 who had masters and moved onto other roles of civil service. Now if your talking Cyber Security, Counterintelligence, Policy making, then sure there are some master degrees in there but the guys who show up to danger, then you are 100% incorrect.

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
and that\'s where you\'re dumb. Boston cops live in Dorchester and JP...many of them have masters degrees. They get paid more for having them.
Ok, what are there roles on the force? This is interesting to me. My wife's family has at least 10 officers in that area so I just called my father in law who is working as I type South Street/ Abrborway JP, and he is just as curious..been on the force for 32 years and knows of 5 who had masters and moved onto other roles of civil service. Now if your talking Cyber Security, Counterintelligence, Policy making, then sure there are some master degrees in there but the guys who show up to danger, then you are 100% incorrect.

Have you ever heard of the Quinn bill? https://www.mass.edu/osfa/initiatives/pcipp.asp

Many Boston cops have gotten a masters through places like Ana Maria College and Curry college. If you were in the know you would know that much. It's not a requirement, they dont all have one but many do.

go to the payroll link, scroll over and see where it says, Quinn education incentive:

https://data.boston.gov/dataset/employee-earnings-report

Guys who show up to danger? there are girls showing up to it too...and yeah having a masters could be helpful in a situation like that.

People truly seem to get threatened when they learn that cops went to college or even grad school.

You're welcome.

I do not agree w the statement that hockey today is better than it was 30 years. Players today go faster but have less hockey sense. A college coach who won 600 games and retired in 2018 after 30 years once said the best team he coached was his 92 team? There are more players out there today for sure -more good ones, I don’t know -we are not spitting out Guerins, Tkchuks and Roenicks these days…if hockey was better-we’d have more greats coming from Mass.