email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 05 AAA NJ super series

Anon
I agree with the previous post. This is elite hockey and it is expected that you bring your best each shift. If not, then go have fun playing town. By the way, there is nothing wrong playing town hockey. Just do not expect to be let off the hook for inconsistent effort and weak play at the elite level.

If you're referring to 10 year old hockey, please remove yourself from youth sports. You have a serious problem if you expect a kid to bring it every shift. I bet if you polled every coach at the elite level they'd say the same. Why? Because they understand they're kids! They're more interested in what prizes are in the arcade than bringing daddy home a super series trophy.

I'm sure you're laser focused every day at work.

Dr. Phil
Anon
I agree with the previous post. This is elite hockey and it is expected that you bring your best each shift. If not, then go have fun playing town. By the way, there is nothing wrong playing town hockey. Just do not expect to be let off the hook for inconsistent effort and weak play at the elite level.

If you're referring to 10 year old hockey, please remove yourself from youth sports. You have a serious problem if you expect a kid to bring it every shift. I bet if you polled every coach at the elite level they'd say the same. Why? Because they understand they're kids! They're more interested in what prizes are in the arcade than bringing daddy home a super series trophy.

Once again, I am referring to 10 year old ELITE hockey and it is a prerequisite that the effort is there when the kids are on the ice. ask the elite hockey coaches - they want effort. how many parents have you heard yelling from the stands to "move you feet" or "skate". So basically what your saying is that EHF and E9 coaches don't care if the kids don't bring it and that winning the super ball from the crane machine at arcade is better than the super series.

Jerry Springer -
Dr. Phil
Anon

Once again, I am referring to 10 year old ELITE hockey and it is a prerequisite that the effort is there when the kids are on the ice. ask the elite hockey coaches - they want effort. how many parents have you heard yelling from the stands to "move you feet" or "skate". So basically what your saying is that EHF and E9 coaches don't care if the kids don't bring it and that winning the super ball from the crane machine at arcade is better than the super series.

No, the smart coaches realize what's age appropriate. That meaningful and pressure packed games will come later, not now. Listen, winning a super series is great. It's an accomplishment. However, there is a bigger picture. You just don't see it yet. Of course you should bring effort. You should work hard. You should strive for perfection, but you shouldn't believe the expectation to be as you're setting. I'm glad your kid's motivated. He/She probably better be if they live under your roof. Let's just hope they can sustain it. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for a major letdown.

Just reading this thread you have to love the parents of kids that are cut that immediately go to the "they didn't develop my kid" defense. My guess you are the same parents that blame teachers when your kids report card is littered with C's and D's. A team cutting a kid isn't because they can't develop them it is usually that they have identified that this individual is now over thier head. This is part of life. It happens everywhere. Employess who can no longer perform are removed. CEO's who continuously make bad decisions and drive stock prices down are removed. Politicians who don't perform are not re-elected. New England Patriots whom Bill Belecek decides are on the down turn are not resigned. This is just how the world works. The only person doing harm to your child is you. Your inability to recognize your own child's ability because of your own selfish reasons is what typically forces a coaches hand to cut a child. You should be praising the coach for stepping up in an area where you as a parent have not. The coach by doing so has taught your child a tremendous life lesson. In life....everything's earned.

Anon
Just reading this thread you have to love the parents of kids that are cut that immediately go to the "they didn't develop my kid" defense. My guess you are the same parents that blame teachers when your kids report card is littered with C's and D's. A team cutting a kid isn't because they can't develop them it is usually that they have identified that this individual is now over thier head. This is part of life. It happens everywhere. Employess who can no longer perform are removed. CEO's who continuously make bad decisions and drive stock prices down are removed. Politicians who don't perform are not re-elected. New England Patriots whom Bill Belecek decides are on the down turn are not resigned. This is just how the world works. The only person doing harm to your child is you. Your inability to recognize your own child's ability because of your own selfish reasons is what typically forces a coaches hand to cut a child. You should be praising the coach for stepping up in an area where you as a parent have not. The coach by doing so has taught your child a tremendous life lesson. In life....everything's earned.

I'm doing a segment on my show...love to have you on. You are fascinating!

I missed where parents said I can't believe my kid was cut because he wasn't developed? I also missed where the development cycle was shortened to 1 year at age 8,9,10,11, or even 12!! I'm sure everything you "earned" you got it overnight because you're such an over achiever.

The argument here is not that a kid gets cut. The argument is that slapsticks like you go butting your obfuscated view of youth development to coaches which pressures them to make a change. That's the issue. Most often, the kid getting cut is probably not one of the strongest on the team. There are many other players out there that are better. All that is true. However, a young kid doesn't need to learn this life lesson just yet. It's more important that he/she feels a sense of belonging which leads to confidence. That's when they'll excel. Trust me, I'm not an every kid gets a trophy person. I believe in accountability. But, at this age, there's a difference between appropriate levels and expectations than when you're older. Most of the teams doing this clean up of the bottom 3 are marginally improving year of year. If you lost 6 games, next year you lose 4. Big deal.

You are correct...when you drop bottom 3 you go from 6 losses to 4.What you didn't mention is the other side of the coin. What happens when those bottom 3 are kept and every other team around you improves? Those 6 losses now become 15 losses. But hey at least your son or daughter have a sense of belonging.

Hey Doc, the cut kids have options to develop at their own pace. Kids that are worried about the Claw game or slushies and snacks after the game probably aren't elite level players - a fact. Some kids are driven and NOT by their parents. I agree it's not for everyone. There is town hockey - have the kids go skate around for an hour, slap the puck across the ice and rush out of the locker room to the arcade. Yes, they probably won't bring home the Super Series trophy anytime soon - but they'll have fun! And I'm sure everyone will get their participation trophy to put next to their "proud of my fantastic kid at whatever elementary school" and tee ball trophy.

anon
Hey Doc, the cut kids have options to develop at their own pace. Kids that are worried about the Claw game or slushies and snacks after the game probably aren't elite level players - a fact. Some kids are driven and NOT by their parents. I agree it's not for everyone. There is town hockey - have the kids go skate around for an hour, slap the puck across the ice and rush out of the locker room to the arcade. Yes, they probably won't bring home the Super Series trophy anytime soon - but they'll have fun! And I'm sure everyone will get their participation trophy to put next to their "proud of my fantastic kid at whatever elementary school" and tee ball trophy.

How worried are you that you haven't been contacted by a D1 coach yet? Most elite kids already have been - a fact.

Dr. Phil
anon

How worried are you that you haven't been contacted by a D1 coach yet? Most elite kids already have been - a fact.

Now I'm just SMH. I know a lot of of 10 year old Elite players and non have been contacted. Fact

the bottom line is this, half the "elite players" not really elite. the other half that are "elite players" only a handful are truly elite and are difference makers.

the difference makers today may not be a difference maker next year. the half that are "elite players" today, a handful may become difference makers, a bunch will not be competitive next year. the half that don't belong today need to find a place where they can compete, grow and develop. some of those kids will blossom. the rest will play the clarinet or tuba or accordion or whatever...

NO YOU ARE NOT AN ELITE PLAYER

Anon
Dr. Phil
anon

Now I'm just SMH. I know a lot of of 10 year old Elite players and non have been contacted. Fact

You keep telling yourself that Mr. Elite. You think your drinking buddies are really going to tell you? They're in it for themselves too - fact.

Dr. Phil
Anon
Dr. Phil
anon

You keep telling yourself that Mr. Elite. You think your drinking buddies are really going to tell you? They're in it for themselves too - fact.

YES YOU ARE AN ELITE PLAYER - just ask your drinking buddies

Merrimack Carp served over a bed of rice pilaf. Was that the blue plate special down on Federal Hill tonight?

Im not from the Islanders, but i have been reading this thread. So funny. Is the poster that said most most (10 years) Elite players have been contacted by D1 coaches serious? Please say that was a joke.

Anon
Im not from the Islanders, but i have been reading this thread. So funny. Is the poster that said most most (10 years) Elite players have been contacted by D1 coaches serious? Please say that was a joke.

I had some Charles River Carp with JY. Definately more flavorful than Merrimack Carp. Served with a mango chutney. Yummy!!!

anon

I agree with your point, but there aren't enough kids like this to fill 10 EHF teams, so there are more kids than you think that are being adversely impacted by the perversion of youth hockey at the very young ages.

So then by your comment and logic you must NOT understand cutting a kid that has more goals than another. Again, according to you its all about results.

Please don't back pedal and say its something other than pure results. Like potential and your opinion of what they will do next year. You can have it both ways.

The fact that you count goals tells everyone on this board all they need to know about you....no one cares about your kids meaningless goals.....kid got cut...get over it..

I think 10 is a good age to teach the kids that you get out what you put in. you let the child decide if he wants to put in the extra work or not to get better. This is supposed to be Elite hockey and I think a coach is doing a child a disservice if he keeps a kid who can't clearly keep up. I would imagine it's not fun for the child to be outworked every time they are on the ice.

And you probably think it is absolutely appropriate for a parent to have so much anxiety about 10 year old hockey they have to leave the rink if the team doesn't play well. That is totally fine in your world right?

Why do they have so much anxiety?

3 possible reasons -

1. They just ate Merrimack Carp
2. The realization the team is not that good
3. Their kid is being replaced be a true "elite" player

At least if they ate Carp, a little Pepto-Bismol will tighten the stool!

Thats the beauty of the Islanders philosophy jack a$$. My kid didn't even play on the Islanders this year. My point is that they have ****** off so many people that everyone talks. When you constantly treat people badly, you get a reputation. Good luck in the years to come with your kid. When they have a hair on their body we can talk, till then you have no idea what they will be like as athletes.

Think about all the organizations you have taken from and you wonder why you have a reputation. Your bringing in 4 or 5 new kids from other organizations. You have a dad that goes to other kids games to scout talent. That is creepy and weird. I get it if a player come to you. i really do and that player is significantly better than what you have. But to go scout another teams player to offer them a spot and then cut them the next year is wrong. That ALWAYS comes back to haunt you later in life.

So the new kids are actually coming from another organization? Of course they are..where else would they be coming from? A neighborhood street hockey team? FYI...every team pulls kids from other organizations. Top Gun takes kids from E9...islanders take kids from E9 and TG. Eagles take kids from E9 and other EHF teams. VJW take kids from TG and Islanders and E9 teams...Rangers are taking a handful of Wizards next year to follow coach etc...why the attack on Islamders? Every team does that. Did little Johnny get cut this year or in years past?

Anon
Thats the beauty of the Islanders philosophy jack a$$. My kid didn't even play on the Islanders this year. My point is that they have ****** off so many people that everyone talks. When you constantly treat people badly, you get a reputation. Good luck in the years to come with your kid. When they have a hair on their body we can talk, till then you have no idea what they will be like as athletes.

Think about all the organizations you have taken from and you wonder why you have a reputation. Your bringing in 4 or 5 new kids from other organizations. You have a dad that goes to other kids games to scout talent. That is creepy and weird. I get it if a player come to you. i really do and that player is significantly better than what you have. But to go scout another teams player to offer them a spot and then cut them the next year is wrong. That ALWAYS comes back to haunt you later in life.

Agree with you. If your gonna "scout" then offer something other than nothing. How will you make a kid better?

How would that conversation go?

My director of squirt scouting recommended i reach out to you about your son. I would like your son to join us for next season. I will do virtually nothing to help your son get better and assist him with his development. Mind you, if he does not progress on his own, he will be cut this time next season and my director of peewee scouting will deliver some kid that is better.

You will pay me $4000 for this amazing priviledge and opportunity. Make the check payable to Jacob "the stitch" Duran - the best cut man in the business?..

Sounds like a parent who is angry the level of play has surpassed their child's ability. Nothing wrong with that...just stop the crying. If you were offered a contract today you would crawl back like the spineless creature you are

Anon
Sounds like a parent who is angry the level of play has surpassed their child's ability. Nothing wrong with that...just stop the crying. If you were offered a contract today you would crawl back like the spineless creature you are

We should rename this site Cocktails and Parental Hockey Dreams! The combination of drinking large amounts of kool-aid or in this case Pirates Grog coupled with parents who cannot stand watching their NHL dreams get crushed at the squirt level. How does it feel to wake up in the middle of the night in a pool of drunken sweat?

ARRRR- Matey