Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 9-10 year olds

Thats right - this is the EHF **** it! Grow a set or go back to town squirt A team where everyone gets a ribbon!

Hockeynuts
Have people gone nuts? What is expected from 9&10 year old goalies? I have seen only a few good one. Most below average! Oh and the good ones have good teams. Has everyone forgotten that sports should be fun at this age? Does everyone one know that is does not matter how good your kid is at this age Or how bad he/she is? This is for every kid on the ice. Goalies are under terrible spotlights at this age. I honestly think if anyone thinks their kid can do better I suggest you have them give it a whirl. My guess is they quit after a month. I respect all the kids that stand in there. It is not easy going for hero to goat week to week. Goalies Rock! From a non goalie parent!!! Oh, your kids are not going pro!

What do you mean kids are not going pro? You must be a dboard newbie! Every kid in the EHF will be playing in the NHL!

Town.

Hockeynuts
Have people gone nuts? What is expected from 9&10 year old goalies? I have seen only a few good one. Most below average! Oh and the good ones have good teams. Has everyone forgotten that sports should be fun at this age? Does everyone one know that is does not matter how good your kid is at this age Or how bad he/she is? This is for every kid on the ice. Goalies are under terrible spotlights at this age. I honestly think if anyone thinks their kid can do better I suggest you have them give it a whirl. My guess is they quit after a month. I respect all the kids that stand in there. It is not easy going for hero to goat week to week. Goalies Rock! From a non goalie parent!!! Oh, your kids are not going pro!

As a goalie parent it can be tough sometimes because most parents don't ever see what lead up to the goal,they only see the end result which can be a goal allowed.The smart ones get it and it's much appreciated.It takes a special kid to want to stand there and be the last line of defense.To have the pressure put on you the entire game.Luckily he has learned to have a short memory.He absolutely loves being in goal though and wouldn't have it any other way.He's having fun,learning the game and getting better which in the end is the most important thing at this age.

Finally, someone with reason on this board. I hate when parents put our goalie down...like you said...have no idea what led up to the goal. funny thing is...it is usually their kid that made the first mistake leading to the score. I support the goalie 100%...good or bad day! It does take a special kid to stand in there.

And not to mention there are five other kids on the ice; three forwards who generally get overlooked for not forechecking or backchecking and letting the kid(s) get through the neutral zone with the puck which leaves the D to hang out and dry . . if the goalie doesn't get blamed, then the D usually does.

I believe the real just of the thread was the OP wanted his kids teams to sit around the camp fire singing songs and roasting marshmallows. That is not the EHF. If you don't like what you signed up for, switch over to town. Everyone knows a good save from a bad miss and 5 other kids should be playing defensively.

anon
I believe the real just of the thread was the OP wanted his kids teams to sit around the camp fire singing songs and roasting marshmallows. That is not the EHF. If you don't like what you signed up for, switch over to town. Everyone knows a good save from a bad miss and 5 other kids should be playing defensively.

Agree. Everyone knows when they make that step into club, whether it's EHF, E9 or the like, you're dipping your toes into the more competitive and scrutinized pool. If that's not what you're looking for and are just for the fun and rah-rahs - and there's nothing wrong with that either - than the better spot to be is probably A level town hockey.

There's evaluation and turnover every year on just about every team in club. Even to a lesser degree in town. That's why there's tryouts.