Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: stay up or go down

What age and are you north shore /south shore?

05- south

Hmmm. All good questions. What does the kid want to do? Hang with teammates at a lesser role and wait until they finally tell him to move on or do it himself? Personally I think confidence in hockey is huge and to slowly kill the kid's confidence will slowly kill his love of the game so I think I'd move down.

Go E9 vs tier 1 if you can.

Anon
Go E9 vs tier 1 if you can.

Lol

anon
Opinions please: My kid is a marginal ehf elite kid. We always sweat a little at tryouts but it's worked out for the last few years. Smart player, good kid, we don't make noise, etc. He's a step slower and little smaller than some. Starting to lose playing time as he gets older. Very good coach who we like a lot. Practices are very good. He has friends on the team and doesn't complain but i know short shifts and skips bother him at times. Do you think he's better served staying the course or should i take a hard look at moving him to Tier 1?

ask the coach. if he is really "very good" then getting his input could be a win-win. you get confirmation he should stay or he could help point you to where your child should be. if it ends you will both (hopefully) be on good terms, why burn a bridge when you don't have too.

Find the best skill based program.
Invest in his skating, stick handling and shooting.
With skill comes confidence, success and happiness.
Just a thought...

I would say that it depends on the kid...

Some kids thrive on challenge and get better when they are in an environment where they are near the bottom and need to work their way up..

Some kids are not like this and do better when they are very confident and can be one of the better or best kids on the team.

Also I would take into consideration the coach's style and the skills that you get...

I agree with the comment above, it depends on the kid. Something you should think about: Your kid is 10-11 yrs, ice time should be pretty close to even. Coach should maybe have the last 3 mins of a game to shorten bench during regular season games, all of tourneys and of course, playoffs. If he's not getting time, he may be further behind then you think. Ask the coach what he thinks, and be prepared for the answer.

Anon
I agree with the comment above, it depends on the kid. Something you should think about: Your kid is 10-11 yrs, ice time should be pretty close to even. Coach should maybe have the last 3 mins of a game to shorten bench during regular season games, all of tourneys and of course, playoffs. If he's not getting time, he may be further behind then you think. Ask the coach what he thinks, and be prepared for the answer.

I'm wondering what other's thoughts are on equal ice time as a rule as you mention. My son is 9 and fortunately has not had his Play time been an issue but at his current level as well as both mite level kids were already being short shifted. Different coaches. Plenty of upset parents. I just thought this was the norm from the start

It never changes...even in h.s. Kids get a lot of minutes and time on the PK and parents get all worked up that the kid isn't on the PP.

anon
It never changes...even in h.s. Kids get a lot of minutes and time on the PK and parents get all worked up that the kid isn't on the PP.

I am so fascinated with the youth sports in today's world I'm dedicating an entire week and making a new mini series on the youth hockey parents. If you're interested in being on the show please contact our office.

Any kids age 8-10, arguably 11, 12 should be given equal time. I know the parents of "elite" players will completely lose it on that thought, but they're so far out in left field it makes Corky Romano look like Einstein.

There's a time and a place for earning ice time. It starts with a clear definition from the coach so expectations are understood from the beginning. He is the authoritative figure and should step up as a leader to help define what kids are working for. That leads to accountability. The kid knows what he needs to do to earn it and only has himself to blame if he doesn't get it.

Elite or otherwise, kids should get opportunity. If you picked them, you should play them (and not just take the check). If you don't want to play the kid, then step up and have a conversation with parents to explain why. Problem is, of course...money. Need to make the owners happy. The adults are the ones who screw the pooch. On both sides really. One side, the nut jobs who think their kids going to the show and the other side where the kid is a bottom player on the team. Because there's no perfect medium, we're left with unhappiness across the board.

It's really sad that this isn't about the kids. As soon as people start realizing it's their moment, then this dboard will go away. This is way to entertaining for that!

So Dr. Phil is the answer to stay in town hockey and not worry about going "to the show?" Heck in our town the town hockey kids don't make it to 'the show' and in fact they don't even make the varsity high school team.

If I could just get all of the parents to agree that we are all keeping our kids in town hockey then it would all be fine. And oh yeah, someone tell the high school coach his teams are going to get steam rolled for the next 5-10 years.

Welcome to the new age of kid's sports.

anon
So Dr. Phil is the answer to stay in town hockey and not worry about going "to the show?" Heck in our town the town hockey kids don't make it to 'the show' and in fact they don't even make the varsity high school team.

If I could just get all of the parents to agree that we are all keeping our kids in town hockey then it would all be fine. And oh yeah, someone tell the high school coach his teams are going to get steam rolled for the next 5-10 years.

Welcome to the new age of kid's sports.

The answer to stay up or go down is a decision the parents should make knowing their child. Gaining confidence is a positive quality the kid might gain. There's nothing stopping any kid from moving up and down levels of competition. It happens all the time and generally can be good. However, that's a decision a parent has to make (objectively as possible, of course).

As a trained phycologist I would caution any parent who pushes their child with the belief they're going to the show. Certainly, support his dreams, but be careful not to cross over into your own (which is what many are unknowingly doing). I define a child as anyone between the ages 8-12. As they move into early adulthood then it's more appropriate to begin preparations that are closely aligned to the end goal. Whatever that may end up.

A kid who is driven by the passion of the game will motivate himself to become the best player he can. Whether he plays town, E9 or the EHF, is irrelevant.