Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Open skate........then tryouts?

Every year can be a bit different. Many excellent comments from the earlier posters. This year I have already signed one kid who came to 3 practices last month. 1 practice is not enough in my opinion. I have signed one other player who played with my squad following a nonrostered tournament. I have expressly told two parents that their kid will not make the team following one practice. Maybe this doesn't make money for the organization through tryouts but most of these parents come through recommendations and I have my credibility at stake. I have one kid who has come to two practices and his chances are not good but I have told the dad to bring him to tryouts because there is always some uncertainty completing the team.

Coach
Every year can be a bit different. Many excellent comments from the earlier posters. This year I have already signed one kid who came to 3 practices last month. 1 practice is not enough in my opinion. I have signed one other player who played with my squad following a nonrostered tournament. I have expressly told two parents that their kid will not make the team following one practice. Maybe this doesn't make money for the organization through tryouts but most of these parents come through recommendations and I have my credibility at stake. I have one kid who has come to two practices and his chances are not good but I have told the dad to bring him to tryouts because there is always some uncertainty completing the team.

Hey Coach - sounds like you have a weak team and your waiting for the "hail mary" kid to show up after he gets cut from an elite ehf team...

Anon
Coach

Hey Coach - sounds like you have a weak team and your waiting for the "hail mary" kid to show up after he gets cut from an elite ehf team...

And what's wrong with that? This is not the coach BTW but we all know parents who jump ship because Johnny is too good for 3/4 of the team. Parents want winning seasons as much as the organizations do for coaches to keep their jobs. Of course Parents equate success of the teams as success in Jrs development right? We know that's not true but that is how people feel. And we as Parents backdoor coaches all the time, contacting other coaches/teams trying to get Jr on that next better team, but not letting our current coaches know we are doing it, right? He hells absolute No players No and those that are on the fence are just that. Come to tryouts, if no one better comes along I'll take you, if someone better comes along your out. You don't think any coach would no that? Parents and coaches are the same. It's the nature of the beast (ehf). Don't like it? There is always town

[ Don't like it? There is always town [/quote]

I don't like it. I respect the "Coach" post. Honest and upfront. That's how it should be. I can't figure out why parents are always looking for a better team. There's just no logic there.

If you find a good coach then stay with him. Simple

the guy who says he "left" the ehf for the Knights is funny....sorry your kid got cut. no one leaves the ehf for the knights.

Why, what is so bad about knights?

anon
the guy who says he "left" the ehf for the Knights is funny....sorry your kid got cut. no one leaves the ehf for the knights.

oh I know of a couple that went, because they bought the cool aid. They also tried to come back very quickly.

anon

Sure they do. Could be cut but could be following coach or overall a better team. The EHF teams are't perfect

point is the Knights are all show and no substance. Gas money for TL's BMW. Unfortunately most programs are like this now. Caps the worst.

Lots of EHF Tier 1 teams are TERRIBLE

Anon
Lots of EHF Tier 1 teams are TERRIBLE

Blah blah blah
Same can be said for Lovells
Put your kid where he or she gets on and stop worrying about all the rest

Most kids are not elite. Go up to Toronto and your ass kicked. For every one kid here there are 5 up there. Get a grip!

Here are a few good rules of thumb:

1. Is your kid serious about hockey or just playing for fun? --The latter should lean toward town hockey

2. Does he/she have the natural talent level that could be brought out by better coaches, more training, more money, etc. in order to get him/her competitive with the best players on the top teams (EHF Elite, E9)? If not, then playing at a level of high school varsity at D1 or Prep or above (college, juniors) may not be in the cards. --Lean toward town hockey

3. Are you and your kid willing to give up other sports, other activities and savings to play on expensive club teams, summer teams, etc.? Remember, you can't have these years back. --If not, lean toward town hockey where it's more flexible

My guess is that few kids associated with parents and coaches on this board qualifies based on all three rules so I call for the elimination of Select, Tier 1, Tier 2, BHL teams and go back 10-15 years ago when only the best of the best played club hockey. Sorry team owners, sorry overachieving pushy parents, sorry future NHL coaches.......

Rule 2 is flawed. Find me a parent who doesn't see their kid with talent or the it factor.

It's very valid. You need to be honest with yourself. Only 10-20% of all kids in club hockey qualify, if it's not you then it's not, it's OK.

Try all EHF Tier 1 teams are terrible. Same with BHL and MPDHL.

Anon
Try all EHF Tier 1 teams are terrible. Same with BHL and MPDHL.

Sounds like a 3rd liner elite. Most real elire appreciate their talent and are much more humble. Wait until your kid gets passed by. It happens all the time