The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Goalie Development

What teams do the best job in developing young goalies? What goaltending schools do the best job with young goalies? We are on the north side of Boston.

Re: Goalie Development

As a goalie parent, we've had great luck with Stop It. My son's seen a few different coaches and Stop It has been the best by far. Our organization (IHC) provides weekly private sessions all season. Comes out to about $1,500 - $2,000 worth of goalie training alone each season included in the tuition. Then when you add in games and practices, it's actually a very good deal. I've heard some other organizations in this area aren't quite as good to their goalies though.

As a goalie parent do you want your kid on a good team so he gets wins / shut-outs and a good reputation or do you want him on a marginal team so he sees a lot of rubber throughout his developmental years?

anon
As a goalie parent do you want your kid on a good team so he gets wins / shut-outs and a good reputation or do you want him on a marginal team so he sees a lot of rubber throughout his developmental years?

Rule of thumb that I've always followed, look for a .500 team.

Seeing shots is the key.A .500 team is the way to go in my opinion as well. When the team gets a shut out he feels like he really earned it and it gives him a boost of confidence. Because he sees so many shots during the season he seems to get a little better and stronger as the season progresses. My goalie has gone to Stop it and Masscrease. Both are great and work well with kids.

Shots? .500? really? I Think this is a limited way of thinking about things. Just like any skater, your goalie is best served by finding the best coach, best supportive environment, best team you can find that fits your lifestyle. My goalie is fortunate enough to be on a top 20 team, (admittedly there are going to be some games where there is not as big a workload) and as a result has been able to take his game to levels that, .500 team goalies never get to even dream about. We face top teams in Canada and US, and he has to be mentally and physically ready to play at a very high level. Success breeds success, creates motivation and is generally preceded by a strong leadership environment.

I guarantee you the shots my 03 player sees in top tournaments, practice, and the compete level he is expected to have 3 times per week before any official pucks ever drop- is a much better trade off than getting shelled every other game or dealing with weak defense or players that do not develop and share the same compete level.

If you want your goalie to improve, challenge him/her as best you can. Invest in skills, preach character development; but please don't assume mediocrity is necessarily a winning recipe.

Good luck in your search.

Since I am not a hockey person and certainly know nothing about being a goalie. What is your best recommendation. An athletic kid and hardworking

GoalieGuy
Since I am not a hockey person and certainly know nothing about being a goalie. What is your best recommendation. An athletic kid and hardworking[/quote

What year is he? It really depends on where the openings are.

First question regarding a potential goalie kid, is the kid just a bit 'off?' You know, a bit strange? Would he rather do a 5x5 Rubik's Cube than dig through grandpa's Playboy collection? Are some of his behaviors just a bit anti-social? And oh, is there any chance by looking at mom & dad that you would think he has a chance of being at least 6'2" or 6'3"?

All important things to consider before you sign your kid up for "the greatest position in all of sport."

anon
First question regarding a potential goalie kid, is the kid just a bit 'off?' You know, a bit strange? Would he rather do a 5x5 Rubik's Cube than dig through grandpa's Playboy collection? Are some of his behaviors just a bit anti-social? And oh, is there any chance by looking at mom & dad that you would think he has a chance of being at least 6'2" or 6'3"?

All important things to consider before you sign your kid up for "the greatest position in all of sport."

That's a crock of ****.... They are not looking for the tallest kid anymore, but the athletic kid who can effectively track the puck.

Really? Sounds like mom & dad are Wee Little People of the Emerald Island decent.

“I talk to my friends I used to play against that are scouts now in the league and they say that they can’t look at somebody that is under 6-foot-1 now,” Detroit’s Chris Osgood, a three-time Stanley Cup winner told InGoal Magazine.

anon
Really? Sounds like mom & dad are Wee Little People of the Emerald Island decent.

Not at all. I just keep with the times and stop living in the "old days"

http://ingoalmag.com/fetures/goaltender-size/

Next we will go back to the fat kid who can't skate should be in goal, then blame the goalie for all the GA.

Old days as in if you had an athletic 5'9" kid and an athletic 6'5" kid and you wanted to keep your job as a coach you would go with the 5'9" kid? Be real.

anon
Old days as in if you had an athletic 5'9" kid and an athletic 6'5" kid and you wanted to keep your job as a coach you would go with the 5'9" kid? Be real.

Ok. Keep telling these kids you aren't tall enough to play net. That's so much better. That's just like telling the small kid you won't make it past peewee

I like the fact that you took exception to the height requirement but made no mention of the mental composition of goalies. For the history of the game they've been recognized as being a bit 'different.'

anon
I like the fact that you took exception to the height requirement but made no mention of the mental composition of goalies. For the history of the game they've been recognized as being a bit 'different.'

The whole post was quite offensive and whoever wrote it is probably the bitter "Al Bundy" who is watching his kid play from the bleachers of a town hockey game who thinks he may know a thing or two about goaltending because he saw Reggie Lemlin play once at the "Gahhhden"

No, no not at all. Ask anyone who has played and ask them their opinion of goalies in general and get back to us.

anon
No, no not at all. Ask anyone who has played and ask them their opinion of goalies in general and get back to us.

Or go to your kids goalie or goalie parents and ask them if they are a bit off or strange. This is a youth hockey forum. And no, my kid is neither, he's actually really social, and isn't playing for the town, but EHF elite. Telling a parent that his kid has to be a bit off is in fact offensive.

Me personally I'd be thrilled if my kid was doing a 5x5 Rubik's Cube instead of digging through grandpa's Playboy collection. . . can I trade my shifty forward with silky hands for a kid who is a bit off and plays in the net? Even up and I'll even throw in our 'rescue dog' from South Carolina.

Playing on a lousy team only prepares him to face lousy shots. Kids learn very little during their actual games. Train hard with good shooters and good coaches to have the best success when tested during the games.

anon
Playing on a lousy team only prepares him to face lousy shots. Kids learn very little during their actual games. Train hard with good shooters and good coaches to have the best success when tested during the games.

I think the opposite.I think practice can be too controlled some times and he learns from games more which tend to be a little bit faster paced.

A lousy team would not be good.Getting good quality shots is one thing but getting shelled the entire game every game isnot the best situation but i do think a .500 team is a good situation where he can get quality shots.Win some games,lose some games and learn that sometimes you can still play a great game and lose and to hold your head up high.

No team does a good job. They do not understand the position. They do not understand the stress a goalie puts on themselves. I agree with what someone else wrote, go for a .500 team, but do not entrust the development of your goalie to that team. Practices are not for goalies, in fact they hurt the goalie. The goalies get tired, they get bad habits. If you can get a goalie coach on ice, that is the best situation. Stopit, Puckstoppers, they are all good, but need to get out of the batting cage and get to the field, need the big ice view, and practice those angles. JMO

Some programs are better than others. Some coaches are better than others.

As a goalie dad, you may want to discuss this with your child's coach and his goalie coach and come up with a plan. Also, a conversation with your young goalie about their plan at practice and some do's and dont's can go a long way!

If planned well a team practice can go a long way helping a goalie develop without expecting the team to deviate from an effective team practice.

Hope this helps.

anon

As a goalie dad, you may want to discuss this with your child's coach and his goalie coach and come up with a plan. Also, a conversation with your young goalie about their plan at practice and some do's and dont's can go a long way!

If planned well a team practice can go a long way helping a goalie develop without expecting the team to deviate from an effective team practice.

Hope this helps.

I have yet to find one that on an organizational level does a good job or care about goalie development. They recognize that and therefore most programs do offer goalie skills bi-weekly with one of the goalie schools. Most coaches don't understand nor coach the goalie position. I know of about two coaches in EHF programs that were former goalies. So it comes down to how much extra cash you have to develop your kid and what goalie school's approach suits you best.

Goalie specific training is important but needs to be reinforced with a good practice plan that involves the goalies and/ or allows the goalie to work with an assistant coach or two at one end ( 1/4 ice), while the team is engaged in skating, stick handling, skills at the other ( 3/4). I honestly think it has improved considerably over the last few years.

How a coach runs a team practice can greatly affect a young goalies development. A coach who does not keep the goalie in mind, will have the players come down one after another blasting shots from three feet away, without letting the goalie get set. How about those three on zero breaks that teams practice that a player WILL NEVER have any opportunity to try out in a game! Why Practice it ?? Better to create real game like situations. Time and space!

With a little planning and using a program wide "Goalie Practice Plan" much of these issues can be addressed. Finland and Sweden are great at doing this ( No wonder they have so many goalies in the NHL and their educational systems are so strong). Canada has created a goalie specific certification and module for all youth coaches to help address these issues.

Not suggesting that a coach change his practice plan to accommodate two or three goalies at the expense of twenty position players, but with a little planning and input from the Organizations Goalie coach, you can assure a real win-win!!

Its even worse when the coaches can't run a helpful practice for the forwards never mind the goalie

Anon
Its even worse when the coaches can't run a helpful practice for the forwards never mind the goalie

Another hot shot parent who could do it better..right?

^ I don't think he ever implied that

who cares
anon

Hope this helps.

I have yet to find one that on an organizational level does a good job or care about goalie development. They recognize that and therefore most programs do offer goalie skills bi-weekly with one of the goalie schools. Most coaches don't understand nor coach the goalie position. I know of about two coaches in EHF programs that were former goalies. So it comes down to how much extra cash you have to develop your kid and what goalie school's approach suits you best.

Very good program at the Derek Zoolander Center for kids who can't read good. Check it out sometime.

Anon
who cares
anon

Hope this helps.

I have yet to find one that on an organizational level does a good job or cares about goalie development. They recognize that and therefore most programs do offer goalie skills bi-weekly with one of the goalie schools. Most coaches don't understand nor coach the goalie position. I know of about two coaches in EHF programs that were former goalies. So it comes down to how much extra cash you have to develop your kid and what goalie school's approach suits you best.

Very good program at the Derek Zoolander Center for kids who can't read good. Check it out sometime.

Oh, you mean reading mind-blowing statements such as "Some programs are better than others. Some coaches are better than others." I have kids in two EHF programs and none of these organizations do a good job at developing a goalie. That's why they offer goalie skills. Coaches plan their practice with skaters not goalies in mind. And even if they did, there is no goalie coach on the ice to correct errors. If anything, you might get a coach trying to instruct your goalie to do something that completely contradicts what your goalie coach is saying. In theory your carefully planned practice might work in practice it doesn't.

My son's coach does a great job with the goalies. Most skills sessions have a goalie coach instructing and weekly sessions with GDS. Can't miss with them or Stop it. Bertagna is good too ( especially with Mike M)

None of the programs do enough for goalies. Been with a number of them and the goalie is basically there to stop shots during practice with no additional help. My advice, find a team that gives a discount for goalies and put the money into Stop It, etc. for actual training. Also, try all the goalie coaches. Depending on the kid, they will click with one coach over another. And once you find that coach, stick with them, but always try something new once in a while to switch it up. For example, do a regular weekly program with Stop It and then do a camp with another coach. That way you can get a second opinion and set of skills which the goalie can then incorporate into his own style. Just a thought.