Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EHF Parity Rationale

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Actually opening weekend for lax games is a week after parity. Then baseball games start a week or two after that. Spring training for lax has already begun with BB soon to start so I agree with poster. Can't imagine there eoukd be many happy lax coaches. I know for plenty of you hockey is the only thing you know but I have, along with countless others, kids who play multiple sports. Not an easy thing to accomplish. And as scheduling is quite a complicated and lengthy thing to complete

I'm a parent of multiple sports too. Thankfully he dropped baseball - too slow - but does hockey, wrestling, flag football, and lax. Prioritized in that order. You HAVE to prioritize, and let it be known early. Every coach likes the concept of an athlete in the making - until it effects their team. Put the cards on the table early, so there's no surprises, and things run much smoother.

Way too young to specialize.

Your just rambling. The other poster is correct. No need to prioritize. Parity is scheduled. This post is about parents whining because Johnnys team isn't ready for the parity. Every team ends the same weekend and participates the same weekend for parity. How is this unfair to anyone. Plenty of teams also have high turnover and plenty stay together. Play the parity and move on

What is the goal?

Set a bracket off initial signings which is going to be foundational over the next 9-10 months?

Or give teams a couple of weeks to better incorporate the new players and get a better grasp of what they have and where they should be playing the next 9 months?

If the end game is getting more competitive conferences then waiting just a few weeks sure seems like a reasonable idea. Look at the tiers now. Anyone could look at each one and point to who should be up and who should be down. It has impact all season long and directly impacts the development of the kids. Beating a team 19-0 with all your Defense playing Forward after the 1st isn't worth the drive to NH.

A couple of practices over a couple of weeks isn't going to bring a team with s high turnover together. That is why other leagues run parity after the season starts or reshuffle based on standings half way through the season. Poster is correct. No advantage holding off a couple of weeks

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Actually opening weekend for lax games is a week after parity. Then baseball games start a week or two after that. Spring training for lax has already begun with BB soon to start so I agree with poster. Can't imagine there eoukd be many happy lax coaches. I know for plenty of you hockey is the only thing you know but I have, along with countless others, kids who play multiple sports. Not an easy thing to accomplish. And as scheduling is quite a complicated and lengthy thing to complete

I'm a parent of multiple sports too. Thankfully he dropped baseball - too slow - but does hockey, wrestling, flag football, and lax. Prioritized in that order. You HAVE to prioritize, and let it be known early. Every coach likes the concept of an athlete in the making - until it effects their team. Put the cards on the table early, so there's no surprises, and things run much smoother.

Your just rambling. The other poster is correct. No need to prioritize. Parity is scheduled. This post is about parents whining because Johnnys team isn't ready for the parity. Every team ends the same weekend and participates the same weekend for parity. How is this unfair to anyone. Plenty of teams also have high turnover and plenty stay together. Play the parity and move on

What is the goal?

Set a bracket off initial signings which is going to be foundational over the next 9-10 months?

Or give teams a couple of weeks to better incorporate the new players and get a better grasp of what they have and where they should be playing the next 9 months?

If the end game is getting more competitive conferences then waiting just a few weeks sure seems like a reasonable idea. Look at the tiers now. Anyone could look at each one and point to who should be up and who should be down. It has impact all season long and directly impacts the development of the kids. Beating a team 19-0 with all your Defense playing Forward after the 1st isn't worth the drive to NH.

A couple of practices over a couple of weeks isn't going to bring a team with s high turnover together. That is why other leagues run parity after the season starts or reshuffle based on standings half way through the season. Poster is correct. No advantage holding off a couple of weeks

Better than throwing them out there a week after tryouts most definitely. Unless you REALLY suck at coaching.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

What is the goal?

Better than throwing them out there a week after tryouts most definitely. Unless you REALLY suck at coaching.

No way a couple of extra hours of practice will make a difference. Most teams get a couple in do s couple more does not make or break your team

Oh, and good to see Mom is prioritizing flag foot all over lax SMH. Who plays that anyway besides 6 year old?

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

What is the goal?

No way a couple of extra hours of practice will make a difference. Most teams get a couple in do s couple more does not make or break your team

Oh, and good to see Mom is prioritizing flag foot all over lax SMH. Who plays that anyway besides 6 year old?

There is absolutely no need of the impact tackle football provides at 9, coupled with the legit risk of injury that'll have you miss significant time from a hockey season you spent $3k for.

Skill development. Speed. Acceleration. Burst. Quick twitch. And hand eye can all be developed just fine in flag.

But feel free to let junior go get his bell rung each weekend. Just sign up now to have his brain studied. Yours too. Sounds like you took a few.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

What is the goal?

There is absolutely no need of the impact tackle football provides at 9, coupled with the legit risk of injury that'll have you miss significant time from a hockey season you spent $3k for.

Skill development. Speed. Acceleration. Burst. Quick twitch. And hand eye can all be developed just fine in flag.

But feel free to let junior go get his bell rung each weekend. Just sign up now to have his brain studied. Yours too. Sounds like you took a few.

Wrong. Don't evrn let him play football. But he gets the agility and hand eye blah blah from baseball lax and basketball

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

What is the goal?

Wrong. Don't evrn let him play football. But he gets the agility and hand eye blah blah from baseball lax and basketball

Brilliant. Tell a kid who loves football he can't play.

You're an idiot. Have you ever even watched a flag football game? Every kid out there loves it.

You should go start a Play in Traffic league.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

What is the goal?

You're an idiot. Have you ever even watched a flag football game? Every kid out there loves it.

I don't let him play football, because as one of the earlier posters said, they have to make choices. People are arguing about missing a lax game for a parity or parity is more important than lax and baseball. They football players in town practice as much if not more than hockey players and have games on the weekends. There have been several kids on my Son's teams who tried playing both and they either had upset football coaches or upset hockey coaches. So, yes, I am telling a kid who loves football he can wait until he gets into high school to play football. Every sport he is playing now can prepare him for football. Plenty of kids start football in high school but show me one who started hockey in high school. So call me an idiot. Name calling always gets your point across doesn't it?

anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

What is the goal?

I don't let him play football, because as one of the earlier posters said, they have to make choices. People are arguing about missing a lax game for a parity or parity is more important than lax and baseball. They football players in town practice as much if not more than hockey players and have games on the weekends. There have been several kids on my Son's teams who tried playing both and they either had upset football coaches or upset hockey coaches. So, yes, I am telling a kid who loves football he can wait until he gets into high school to play football. Every sport he is playing now can prepare him for football. Plenty of kids start football in high school but show me one who started hockey in high school. So call me an idiot. Name calling always gets your point across doesn't it?

Flag football teams generally don't practice. Rec league fun. Friday evenings in Spring. Sat afternoon in fall.

But don't let a fundamental lack of information stop you from sharing your brilliance with us.

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

What is the goal?

Flag football teams generally don't practice. Rec league fun. Friday evenings in Spring. Sat afternoon in fall.

But don't let a fundamental lack of information stop you from sharing your brilliance with us.

We can kerp going back and forth. Im referring to real non flag football. That's what happens when your town is fortunate to have a fantastic youth football program that starts in 2nd grade with an instructional program starting in first grade. Great coaches and a great program means flag football is not where the kids go. However our flag football has practices as well as games on the weekend so please don't argue with me about what I know. The person who is uninformed is the person who thinks that because his kid has no practices and games on Friday in the Spring and games on Saturday in the fall is clearly aware there is a world out there that doesn't conform to what you, your kid, or your town is doing but please don't let your funds,entail lack of information stop you from imparting your brilliance with us. Get in your car, drive just 15!minutes away and you will see there is a world out there different than yours with people with different opinions who do things different than you. Embrace it. Different is ok

Flag football?? Are you people serious?? Baseball?? Give me a break you are clueless... Hand eye coordination... How much of that are they getting??? Please! They need to be shooting pucks working on their conditioning and strength... Your kid is not Crosby or Eichel moron... Put the work in get their asses to skills... This way you aren't ******** that little sparky doesn't play enough. Wake up people if you want to be the best you need to do the most! Moron.... And the whole Multi-sport thing is a joke shoved in your face by USA hockey... Read Dustin Byfuhlein's biography... His mother would drop him at the rink in the morning and pick him up at the end of the day after she was done working... Single mother...he seems to be fine to me...get a clue and stop whining... Don't give me the bobby Orr book bull**** either... What he doesn't tell you is that from Oct-Mar he was in the pond in his yard for 8 hrs a day do the math

Anon
Flag football?? Are you people serious?? Baseball?? Give me a break you are clueless... Hand eye coordination... How much of that are they getting??? Please! They need to be shooting pucks working on their conditioning and strength... Your kid is not Crosby or Eichel moron... Put the work in get their asses to skills... This way you aren't ******** that little sparky doesn't play enough. Wake up people if you want to be the best you need to do the most! Moron.... And the whole Multi-sport thing is a joke shoved in your face by USA hockey... Read Dustin Byfuhlein's biography... His mother would drop him at the rink in the morning and pick him up at the end of the day after she was done working... Single mother...he seems to be fine to me...get a clue and stop whining... Don't give me the bobby Orr book bull**** either... What he doesn't tell you is that from Oct-Mar he was in the pond in his yard for 8 hrs a day do the math

Did you really have to keep the flag football babble going on by adding more nonsense

You people are not following the ADM. You should not be allowed to play hockey any longer.

The ADM model is: Don't play too much to keep the cost down + don't let the kids start checking too soon + let's dumb-down the product = more fee paying kids for longer to keep the $ coming in to support Team USA in international tournaments.

All the teams should refuse to play in parity and just make one league with two divisions made in October

Anon
Agreed no time is going to be perfect, but accommodating preseason baseball/lacrosse practice doesn't seem like the optimal choice. I think parents would rather have their kid miss an early season spring sport workout, than have to choose between parity hockey tournament and town hockey playoffs. And, I think parents who are interested in their kids team trying to get into a more challenging level of play would prefer that the team have a chance to organize and prepare. The tournament outcome effects what division they play in for the entire length of the next season.

Thank you.

If you're concerned about first week lax or baseball vs the gravity of the parity tournament and what significance it carries for your upcoming season your priorities are a bit skewed. Especially factoring in the $ and time hockey involves.

Anon
Anon
Agreed no time is going to be perfect, but accommodating preseason baseball/lacrosse practice doesn't seem like the optimal choice. I think parents would rather have their kid miss an early season spring sport workout, than have to choose between parity hockey tournament and town hockey playoffs. And, I think parents who are interested in their kids team trying to get into a more challenging level of play would prefer that the team have a chance to organize and prepare. The tournament outcome effects what division they play in for the entire length of the next season.

Thank you.

If you're concerned about first week lax or baseball vs the gravity of the parity tournament and what significance it carries for your upcoming season your priorities are a bit skewed. Especially factoring in the $ and time hockey involves.

I'm not worried. My kid is playing on the parity April 1-3 then onto opening lax weekend the following weekend. He doesn't miss anything. His team performed great in the parity last year and I suspect they will this year as well. All is good here. I'm not the one complaining about the parity 😄

Anon
Anon
Anon

Thank you.

I'm not worried. My kid is playing on the parity April 1-3 then onto opening lax weekend the following weekend. He doesn't miss anything. His team performed great in the parity last year and I suspect they will this year as well. All is good here. I'm not the one complaining about the parity 😄

It's still just stupid.

When you think about how much impact it has on the coming season you'd think they'd mandate a dozen practices to get the team that's going to be showing up each week a chance to gel and get a littl cohesiveness. The games could be scheduled 6-7-8pm so as to not interfere with baseball or lax. And the overall benefit is teams better balanced in the correct conferences. It's a win all around.

Cramming it in early on top of everything going on in the middle of the morning and afternoon is about as dumb an idea as I can think of.

How about go by regular season performance, bottom 2 black from current season get moved down to white and top 2 from current season white get promoted up to black. 3rd and 4th place white get an opportunity to play a round robin against the 3rd and 4th from the bottom black to see if they can beat either out. The rest of the top of black stays based on solid regular season performance the bottom below the top four white stay in white based on their relative subpar performance. So only four teams involved in round robin.

I mean, can the 5th place white really feel like they can compete with top five in black and is there any reason to believe the 3rd and 4th place black teams wouldn't mop up at least the bottom 50% of the white division?

Top teams for prior season should be exempt and let the remaining teams fight it out. Having the top teams beat up on the bottom teams in the parity round does nothing to weed out the strong from the weak.

Anon
How about go by regular season performance, bottom 2 black from current season get moved down to white and top 2 from current season white get promoted up to black. 3rd and 4th place white get an opportunity to play a round robin against the 3rd and 4th from the bottom black to see if they can beat either out. The rest of the top of black stays based on solid regular season performance the bottom below the top four white stay in white based on their relative subpar performance. So only four teams involved in round robin.

I mean, can the 5th place white really feel like they can compete with top five in black and is there any reason to believe the 3rd and 4th place black teams wouldn't mop up at least the bottom 50% of the white division?

Sounds pretty rational to me.

The problem with this plan is that teams can be completely different from one year to the next. The 2nd place finisher in the black division could have lost 6 of their top players. Giving them an automatic seat at the table for the next season does nothing for creating reasonable, competitive divisions. Just like the 4th place finisher in the white division could have brought in an entirely new team. You just don't know at this level.

I agree that the way in which it is done is crazy. There's no reasoning that I can see behind who plays whom in the parity tournament. As a result, you see teams play 4 cupcakes, go 3-1 and make it into the top division. Then get blown out all season. There needs to be some sort of formula for dividing teams into groups based on rankings, and each team needs to play against 1 team from each group. That would ensure that all teams are playing at least relatively balanced schedules.

Anon
The problem with this plan is that teams can be completely different from one year to the next. The 2nd place finisher in the black division could have lost 6 of their top players. Giving them an automatic seat at the table for the next season does nothing for creating reasonable, competitive divisions. Just like the 4th place finisher in the white division could have brought in an entirely new team. You just don't know at this level.

I agree that the way in which it is done is crazy. There's no reasoning that I can see behind who plays whom in the parity tournament. As a result, you see teams play 4 cupcakes, go 3-1 and make it into the top division. Then get blown out all season. There needs to be some sort of formula for dividing teams into groups based on rankings, and each team needs to play against 1 team from each group. That would ensure that all teams are playing at least relatively balanced schedules.

How about okay every team a few times. Take your beatings, give your beatings and most fall in between. Why do we have to go out of our way to make things so even especially when it's apparent its not a great system. That's life

Personally, with 20+ teams supposedly going to be in the Tier 1 next year, I'd rather have a single division. Play each team 2 times - home and away - and then move on. But if they're not going to do that, let's find a more meaningful way of playing a parity tournament so it actually creates competitive divisions. The system as it stands now, just does not do that.

This would be much better than the voodoo parity tournament and eliminate the dullness of so many games per season against the same team.

They have to have two divisions so that the black division can pretend they are special and almost elite, the white division you are better off playing town hockey and save the 3k. There is too much of a skill difference between the better black teams and the lower white teams, the white teams should just go down and play EMHL(AAA) also known as town c division

BHL/E9 and MPDHL both do parity at the beginning of the season and their world don't end. Parity in April is useless and is a way for the EHF to collect $1k per team to participate. It's a revenue generator and saves their schedulers a bit of extra work at the beginning of the season. And, as someone else said, it allows teams live the Flames, Caps and Kings to put Elite players out to ensure that they end up in the upper tier 1. Since the rosters for Elite teams don't need to be submitted at that time, they can put whoever they want on their "Tier 1" team for parity and then move them to Elite after. Look at the 02 level. How did the Caps and Eagles end up in the Tier 1 and then only win 3 and 5 games, respectively during the season.

The issue I see with your rationale of strong black teams suddenly becoming horrible and weak white teams suddenly become good, is at least it is only a one year deal for the few teams where that may happen and the next season they would be moved based on performance. But in the interim the parity is based on season long performance, minimizing the cheating that occurs when orgs bring in ringers for the parity tournament - for which there is zero way to control or accountability. We could make up all kinds of scenarios, but using prior season performance as a basis so allocate some of the teams to each divisions at least adds transparency to the process.

The problem with parity is the way it's run not when it is.
They have to many teams playing 4 random games over one weekend seems more like luck of the draw .
The elite 9 does it the right way over multiple weekends and you have to win your way in.