Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USA Hockey Coaches Certification

Most "club" or "select" teams don't enforce certification. They also don't enforce the USA Hockey rule that coaches have to wear helmets. It's just the culture.

It won't be a problem for you until it's a problem. Someone COULD decide to make a stink about it, and then the program would need to decide whether they are going to back you or throw you under the bus.

anon
I was recently asked by one of my sons coaches (03) level to help with the bench (run the door) and occasionally on the ice.

Was told that I would need to go through USA hockey certification - at least level one to 'cover' the organization.

Don't mind doing it just to help once in awhile, and I understand that from what I've seen a lot of this USA Hockey certification is sort of a joke.

However, after getting certified and doing the Bantam level module - I noticed almost 99% of the 'coaches' in my sons organization are NOT certified - or their certifications ran out 5- 7 years ago - and their last age specific module was mite one.

What's the deal with that? Do most orgs make coaches go through this or no? If not - what happens if it is discovered or complained about by someone as that is one of the reasons I was told I had to do it

The bigger, more organized programs are beginning to crack down on it. Programs like IHC, that have aspirations beyond youth hockey are trying to get everyone in compliance in order to be politically friendly with USA Hockey.

The CEP is a joke. When you take your level 1 course, there is usually an interesting presentation from a sport psychologist that helps you better understand the way children think.

The rest is really a commercial for the ADM, which few town programs and zero club programs follow.

There is usually one or two reasonably good speakers, the rest is crap.

Then you spend the next 3 years staying in compliance where the CEP just reiterates the same crap over and over. THere is no building, no advance in the level of conversation. It is a well-meaning endeavor, but it just sucks.

That is probably the reason no club teams bother with it.

It is a scam to get fifty bucks out of you and another ten for a module

The coaches not doing what they are responsible for just highlights the programs priorities. If you are willing to play for these orgs that do not follow basic standard rules set by USAH, what other rules are they breaking? Do they have coaches in the locker rooms while your kids are being picked on? Are they REALLY checking CORI's? Do they allow kids to act like they are too good for the rest of the team? Look at the recent TG post, will they allow that kid to stay in their Org? If they do, is that an Org you want your kid in?

People get so wrapped up in what is popular, what are the big name org's? Do they even look at the basics of how the org operates? Doubt it. But these stupid parents only want their kid to play for a "top org" without even knowing what they are about.

anon
The coaches not doing what they are responsible for just highlights the programs priorities. If you are willing to play for these orgs that do not follow basic standard rules set by USAH, what other rules are they breaking? Do they have coaches in the locker rooms while your kids are being picked on? Are they REALLY checking CORI's? Do they allow kids to act like they are too good for the rest of the team? Look at the recent TG post, will they allow that kid to stay in their Org? If they do, is that an Org you want your kid in?

People get so wrapped up in what is popular, what are the big name org's? Do they even look at the basics of how the org operates? Doubt it. But these stupid parents only want their kid to play for a "top org" without even knowing what they are about.
Have you TAKEN a cert course? If you have, you will understand why no one takes them seriously. It is in no way a reflection of the diligence of the team.

That's like calling doing 60 in a 55 reckless driving.

Yep, suffered up to L4. And as insufferable as it is, they are there to educate the morons that think they know it all and I believe there are a few points at each level that turn the light bulb on for some of these morons. Most of these programs just hire the guy who's kid is "good", but gets so in the face of the org, they have to take him. Does that give them any qualifications?

Can someone confim this? A level 3 coach is going around telling people that he's 2 steps away from being able to coach at the college level. Do you really have to be at a level 5 to coach at the collage level? What are the benefits of being a level 1 - 5?

This USA hockey stuff nonsense! Give me the old Boston metro league!

Anon
This USA hockey stuff nonsense! Give me the old Boston metro league!

I agree, but if an EHF organization can't abide by the most basic of rules when it comes to certification - it speaks volumes about the org and even more about the coaches.

You want to coach and teach the kids to do things the right way? Then practice what you preach or get off the bench, because you're just as lazy as the laziest kid out there.

That poster is correct. Level 4 means you can be a high school coach or an assistant in college. Level 5 you can be a head coach college.

Anon
That poster is correct. Level 4 means you can be a high school coach or an assistant in college. Level 5 you can be a head coach college.

where did you find that bit of info ?

I was an asst coach for a college in New England and in any college coach job description

Anon
I was an asst coach for a college in New England and in any college coach job description

Care to provide a link ?

Anon
Anon

Care to provide a link ?

Yes please provide a link. I've gone over the rule book and can't find what the benefits are from level to level or what level you have to be to coach @ a certain age group.

Difference in levels is very simple.

Level 1. Don't be alone in the locker room with little boys I don't sleep with their moms. The black thing is called a puck. Cross ice, cross ice, more cross ice. A little kid being on a regular size rank is really bad.

Level 2. Don't swear in front of the kids. They show you how to keep score. Cones are used to help at practice and drills. Cross ice, small games, get three or four teams on the ice to maximize profits for the owners.

Level 3. Writing your thoughts down on a piece of paper or buying Mike Sullivan's flexxcoach for $100 a year is better than not having a plan for practice. Kids go through puberty. Concussions happen. Don't put a player back on the ice after he just got knocked out. Keep kids playing as long as possible so USA hockey can collect the fees.

Level 4. Level 3 repeated except they make you go away for a weekend in charge you $250. Lots of blowhards yammering on. Tons of tool coaches you are forced to hang out with.

Level 5. Vegas baby. Boobs. Don't tell your wife what you really did.

anon
Anon
Anon

Care to provide a link ?

Yes please provide a link. I've gone over the rule book and can't find what the benefits are from level to level or what level you have to be to coach @ a certain age group.

There are some benefits, but the levels mean nothing as far playing levels.

Most of the college and high school coaches I know don't have a level 1 !

Poster has no idea what he is talking about !

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon

Care to provide a link ?

It's good for the "Daddy" coaches still on the ice who "think" they know hockey because they played in "High School", or played pick up games with "a guy" who used to play for the Bruins etc...blah...blah..blah, but basically just go out and do Squirt drills with Bantams and yell "move your feet" during the whole practice and game. Those are the guys who need the certification the most, just so they can maybe learn something and hopefully get their heads out of their asses.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Anon

Care to provide a link ?

It's good for the "Daddy" coaches still on the ice who "think" they know hockey because they played in "High School", or played pick up games with "a guy" who used to play for the Bruins etc...blah...blah..blah, but basically just go out and do Squirt drills with Bantams and yell "move your feet" during the whole practice and game. Those are the guys who need the certification the most, just so they can maybe learn something and hopefully get their heads out of their asses.

I love the constant crap you see on the dboard rippin on "Daddy" coaches - 99% of coaches, FED, E9/BHL and town league are daddy coaches. You blowhards talk like professional coaches that don't have kids on the team are the norm. If your kid's coach doesn't have a son on the team odds are they are a club owner, a pedophile or another type of complete loser who shouldn't be allowed near kids.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Anon

Care to provide a link ?

I love the constant crap you see on the dboard rippin on "Daddy" coaches - 99% of coaches, FED, E9/BHL and town league are daddy coaches. You blowhards talk like professional coaches that don't have kids on the team are the norm. If your kid's coach doesn't have a son on the team odds are they are a club owner, a pedophile or another type of complete loser who shouldn't be allowed near kids.

anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Anon

Care to provide a link ?

Looks like Daddy got upset.....LOL

I've been with 3 orgs with 2 different kids, 2 fed and 1 bhl, coaching in both the Fed was the only org that required all the proper USA hockey crap, just no helmet that was up to us.

Anon
Can someone confim this? A level 3 coach is going around telling people that he's 2 steps away from being able to coach at the college level. Do you really have to be at a level 5 to coach at the collage level? What are the benefits of being a level 1 - 5?

An accurate response would be too lengthy to type. That coach is an idiot !