Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Coaches Losing It

The best coach I ever coached with told me that 95% of what you say to a player should be positive. Even when you want to provide "instruction" it's best to tell the player something they did right, address the thing they did wrong, and then end on a positive note.

You do run the risk of the negative part not being heard, as it's human nature to center on the things that are positive and dismiss the negative. So, I think you have to adapt as you go, maybe you become more insistent as you see the same thing that needs to be corrected.

Unfortunately, too many coaches think they are John Tortorella.

Hockey is a game of mistakes. If you criticize every mistake, you are just teaching the player to not take chances. That's bad hockey.

So throwing full water bottles and screaming is now bad?

anon
03 visiting team came in past weekend - we beat them, however, what is with the coaches on the bench (two of them) literally screaming and yelling bloody murder and slamming doors the whole game?

What does that do?

Even the ref had to tell one of the coaches to settle down when he was berating one of his own players including f-bombs galore - the whole rink could hear it clearly.

The parents (especially goalie dad) banging on the glass and screaming too.

No wonder the team doesn't respond.

My older son plays high school hockey and you'd barley know there was a coach on the bench baring the occasional bad call.

Total incompetence in my opinion, but I never played or coached - so not sure.

Is this the norm with other teams as I've never seen it that bad - once in awhile, yes, but through the whole game? Terrible.

Crimson 03?

Top Gun

Saw the same thing with that team and Coach last week. He puts on quite a show.

tier 1 or elite

Tier I

anon
Tier I

Yes - I saw this this past weekend - what a couple of clowns.

Feel bad for those kids.

Not surprised it's Top Gun