Anon
Is it worth the money?

No. It's a money grab.

Re: Lake Placid

Anon
Anon
Is it worth the money?

No. It's a money grab.

Totally worth it! The fact that the kids can watch the "Miracle" movie and go play on the actual rink is special. A must do if you're a hockey fan. Money grab, yes. it's a good time.

Worth every penny!

Anon
Is it worth the money?
Of course it is. Great little town, great rink, well run events. Kids love it. Driveable.

You just have to pick the right event for your team. A lot of teams undershoot their team's ability so they can win.

Depends on age. The little guys don't get it. Peewee bantam age it's worth the money.

Anon
Depends on age. The little guys don't get it. Peewee bantam age it's worth the money.

Well said

Have fun walking up the big hill after the games with the hockey bags! You think these kids care about miracle on ice? It's more for the parents.

Anon
Have fun walking up the big hill after the games with the hockey bags! You think these kids care about miracle on ice? It's more for the parents.
Wow, talk about jaded!

My kid has a framed print of the winning celebration over his bed. Has stared at it 100 times going to bed, dreaming about his future.

Anon
Sorry your kid couldn't understand a hockey movie until he was 12.

hate the drive home, but the experience for the kid is amazing. If you have the chance to play in a tourney at Lake Placid you should go.

I agree! My oldest went we all had a blast!! Team did great skills competitions a lot of fun! Drive is long but I would do it again with my youngest!! Not sure I would go twice with same team though.

Fun overall!

My son went 4 yrs ago, and still says it's his favorite tourney ever. Money grab yes - but the kids loved every bit of it.

Try to go later in the winter so you can skate on the lake. We went in early December and it wasn't frozen/thick enough yet.

Town is great ! Give yourself a day or two after to take in the sights!!

Can someone explain what "Lake Placid" means? Is it a tournament people are talking about or the hockey camps they run up there. There's all kind of hockey events that go on there.

Specificity
Can someone explain what "Lake Placid" means? Is it a tournament people are talking about or the hockey camps they run up there. There's all kind of hockey events that go on there.
Two people specifically mentioned "tourney." Several others mentioned "team."

Try to keep up.

It's a lot like spending money on a vacation; you'll remember the trip more than you will miss the money.

You bozos do realize that not one of your kids that played in the tourneys skated on the same rink as the 1980 Olympic team (miracle on ice), right?

This thread should move to town hockey board. AAA tourneys are in Montreal not Lake Placid.

Anon
This thread should move to town hockey board. AAA tourneys are in Montreal not Lake Placid.
Aaaannnndddd, the elitist snob whose kid will be out of hockey by age 15 has weighed in.....

Anon
You bozos do realize that not one of your kids that played in the tourneys skated on the same rink as the 1980 Olympic team (miracle on ice), right?
Wow. Wow.

OK, Einstein, if they didn't play the 1980 Olympic games at Herb Brooks Arena, where did they play?

This should be good.

Anon
Anon
Wow. Wow.

OK, Einstein, if they didn't play the 1980 Olympic games at Herb Brooks Arena, where did they play?

This should be good.

From the what's included section of website D-bag:

"Guarantee of 4 games. Games begin on Thursday afternoon and medal games end on Sunday afternoon. No games will be played on the 1980 rink."

Anon
Anon
Anon
Wow. Wow.

This should be good.

"Guarantee of 4 games. Games begin on Thursday afternoon and medal games end on Sunday afternoon. No games will be played on the 1980 rink."
Geez, the narrow-mindedness of the people on this site never ceases to amaze me. No wonder the economy can't get on a roll.

Hey, "D-bag," you have no idea what anyone's kids have done other than yours. We've been there twice and the experience always included significant time on the 1980 rink.

Also, I'm sure more than one organization runs tournaments in LP. The one that we've been there with is called Can/Am Hockey. If you look at their website you will see:

"Guarantee of one 1980 Olympic Rink game for each team."

So, I don't know whose website you're looking at, but just because that is your clearly limited frame of reference it doesn't mean that other people don't know more than you do. I'm willing to bet that's probably the case the overwhelming majority of the time, "D-bag."

Maybe it's just that one weekend that your duster's organization picked, and there's something else going on that weekend. Maybe they are going on the "cheap" and the tournament organizers refused to pay extra for the complete "experience."

But, whatever it is, most people wear their hat on their heads, not their a**. Because you truly are an asshat.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Wow. Wow.

This should be good.

Believe it or not ^^^^ this guy is right. I just checked CAN/AM website for the January Boys tournaments as suggested by this thread and it states no games on 1980 rink. Perhaps the policies have changed or the 1980's is seasonal. Just my 2 cents as we are thinking about booking.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Wow. Wow.

This should be good.

Believe it or not ^^^^ this guy is right. I just checked CAN/AM website for the January Boys tournaments as suggested by this thread and it states no games on 1980 rink. Perhaps the policies have changed or the 1980's is seasonal. Just my 2 cents as we are thinking about booking.
The asshat is not right, not even close. He said "that not one of your kids that played in the tourneys skated on the same rink as the 1980 Olympic team." Past tense. As if he knows what my kid, or anyone else's kid, has done in their lives. THAT is textbook narrowmindedness.

Like I said, it's possible something else is going on during certain weekends. Other weekends do definitely still include skating on the 1980 rink.

Just because the tournament his kid, or your kid, is scheduled to play in doesn't include it doesn't mean every kid that ever has played, or ever will play there, won't.

I'll also wager that they will still have the "opening ceremony" at the 1980 rink, even if the actual games aren't played there. But, that's just a guess.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Wow. Wow.

This should be good.

The asshat is not right, not even close. He said "that not one of your kids that played in the tourneys skated on the same rink as the 1980 Olympic team." Past tense. As if he knows what my kid, or anyone else's kid, has done in their lives. THAT is textbook narrowmindedness.

Like I said, it's possible something else is going on during certain weekends. Other weekends do definitely still include skating on the 1980 rink.

Just because the tournament his kid, or your kid, is scheduled to play in doesn't include it doesn't mean every kid that ever has played, or ever will play there, won't.

I'll also wager that they will still have the "opening ceremony" at the 1980 rink, even if the actual games aren't played there. But, that's just a guess.

^^^^ Have you considered going back to play in one of the adult tourneys? Maybe you could skate on the 1980's rink, Gramps!

We did a father/son camp when he was 9. We both had a great time, he totally understood what the history was all about and was wide eyed about it. Not sure why anyone would think kids don't care about Miracle on Ice, thanks to the movie. IMO they can relate a lot more to a bunch of college kids than they can to NHL stars. He wore an Eruzione jersey we got him for Christmas one year throughout his mite and squirt years.

Closest most will get to the olympics and I always look forward to lake placid pub and brewery. It's like playing in Toronto and going to the hall of fame.

Went last year with Town. Fun take. 2 games on 80 rink.

Going this year with club. Games on 80 rink too. I think it all depends on whatever functions are going on at the same time. They are some of the best people I've ever dealt with in hockey and a quick phone call solves all questions.

We've had a blast up there and that's why we're going for 2. To each their own.