email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Switching teams

anon
heard an 05 cap elite recently "quit" the team and is now looking for options..good luck finding a new team that is at that level

I would say that you should stick it out and show your kid that you have to be a stand up person and then make a change next year

He went to Bandits. Great coach and parents over there.

who quit? Initial only...

LM

Commitment? Please. Can't tell you how many "commitments" by the coach/GM/program in March and August aren't lived up to by October.

After learning that lesson, and after a team reneged on a legit contract that we had signed the prior February, we made a different choice. The GM told me, "this year will be different." The coach was counting on my kid to anchor that team. Except, the team WAS an anchor.

While we honored our new "commitment" and watched the kids choose football over practice (again), Pats games over skills (again), we asked in October what was going to be dome to the honor the coaches' "commitment" to a meritocracy. When the answer was nothing, we switched to a better team in a better league at a higher level that had lost a kid to HS. Worked out great, and we've never looked back.

Right after Thanksgiving is a great time to look for an opening on a team. Injuries, no-shows, spotty attendance, poor performers - all the glitz is gone and coaches know where they have needs. And every team has needs, if your kid is a hard worker, a positive addition and can compete at the targeted skill level.

But, if you're running away from a situation that your kid - or you - has created, then it'll just come up again.

Anon
anon
heard an 05 cap elite recently "quit" the team and is now looking for options..good luck finding a new team that is at that level

I would say that you should stick it out and show your kid that you have to be a stand up person and then make a change next year

He went to Bandits. Great coach and parents over there.

They have to be to put up with 3 straight winless seasons so far

anon

Sgt Hulka? I wonder where his big toe is?

Sgt Hulka - that is funny!

anon
anon
Anon
Dont know about leagues. How about teams mid season?
Not unless there is an abusive HC. You made a commitment, honor it. Don't forget that your first priority should always be to make your son into a good man - having a winning season or being on the team he wants to play for is a distant second.

Gimme a break. If you're not happy, your kid's not happy - by all means, if you can do it and you have an opportunity, move along. Life is short, it's youth hockey. Believe me, it ends fast - let it be enjoyable for all. Get the most out of it - development, enjoyment, opportunity...

This is exactly what the poster said. It should be a pretty bad situation if you decide to get up and leave mid season. If they are minor issues, then you get more mileage out of showing your kid how to live up to their commitments and move on with class.

And from a hockey perspective, what type of situation do you think you are going to end up in joining a team in December?

anon
anon
anon
Anon
Not unless there is an abusive HC. You made a commitment, honor it. Don't forget that your first priority should always be to make your son into a good man - having a winning season or being on the team he wants to play for is a distant second.

Gimme a break. If you're not happy, your kid's not happy - by all means, if you can do it and you have an opportunity, move along. Life is short, it's youth hockey. Believe me, it ends fast - let it be enjoyable for all. Get the most out of it - development, enjoyment, opportunity...

This is exactly what the poster said. It should be a pretty bad situation if you decide to get up and leave mid season. If they are minor issues, then you get more mileage out of showing your kid how to live up to their commitments and move on with class.

And from a hockey perspective, what type of situation do you think you are going to end up in joining a team in December?

"Gimme a Break" post guy here. No, I agree with everything you said. Especially your last sentence.

anon
Anon

Let's say, he is on the Rangers Elites 04... Obvious choice... Switching is the only option to enjoy the season.

Anon
anon
Anon

Let's say, he is on the Rangers Elites 04... Obvious choice... Switching is the only option to enjoy the season.

I don't see anything wrong with it....if the organization and the coaches are not living up to what was promised, why not get out while you can, especially if you found another spot.
The organization made a commitment that its not living up too, maybe players leaving mid-season will be a wakeup call to get their sh%* together.

Anon
Anon
anon
Anon

I don't see anything wrong with it....if the organization and the coaches are not living up to what was promised, why not get out while you can, especially if you found another spot.
The organization made a commitment that its not living up too, maybe players leaving mid-season will be a wakeup call to get their sh%* together.

As long as you can write the checks join as many teams as you need to make yourself and jr feel accomplished and happy.

It just is NOT "Right" to switch

Anom
It just is NOT "Right" to switch

Why not? If the coaching sucks and the parents suck and the kids are not having fun, why not switch?

It's your RIGHT to do what you want.