The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coaches without USA hockey certification

If you have not done your cert for this year it is over. No more classes offered. Well unless you are flying out to Michigan next weekend. A lot of coaches think this is a joke and does not pertain to them.
You can not coach unless you have this. Parents check the USA hockey website to see if your coach will be bounced next week.

Re: Coaches without USA hockey certification

Wanna bet nobody is bounced next week ?

You need SafeSport class also. Assistant coaches can not even be on the bench. This is not a joke. Owners are subject to lawsuits if your child is on one of these teams and gets injured. What most people do not know until reading this is your child is covered under a blanket policy for insurance. 1. If your player gets injured he/she is not covered if the coach is not certified. 2. If your player gets hurt and the opposing teams player and that coach is not certified you might not be covered also. I had issue with my 03 with this situation and have been battling USA hockey for medical bills.
I am just warning people with this post. If your owner lets these coaches on the bench and you do not notify them, the league and USA hockey. Then it is on you.

And there are many so-called "coaches" that don't bother with this (lazy & cheap)

as well as organizations that don't police it (ignorant and stupid)

ok Jackass. Worry about your own team and kid and stop being so concerned what other teams are doing. Im sure you have some other motive on why you are posting this.

Cleadus Van****
ok Jackass. Worry about your own team and kid and stop being so concerned what other teams are doing. Im sure you have some other motive on why you are posting this.
Sounds like someone need new CEP

Anon
Cleadus Van****
Sounds like someone need new CEP

You know almost every nosey parent that comes on the board checked to see if their coaches are certified. Also I will add this. Any playoff game that a USA hockey certified referee takes part in can lose his patch and the game will be a forfeit if coaches are not certified.

This discussion belongs on the Town Hockey board. Club teams don't care about patches, they know the're meaningless.

Anon
This discussion belongs on the Town Hockey board. Club teams don't care about patches, they know the're meaningless.

BS - then drop the average price down to 2k for the year, if a club coach is too lazy to go get patched (btw, same coach who will talk about "life lessons" to players and families too) - so here's a "life lesson" for YOU coach - follow the rules.

anon
Anon

BS - then drop the average price down to 2k for the year, if a club coach is too lazy to go get patched (btw, same coach who will talk about "life lessons" to players and families too) - so here's a "life lesson" for YOU coach - follow the rules.

o please follow the rules? Restrictions made up so USA Hockey can milk more people for cash. Anyone who doesnt know the information being taught in these level classes are either idiots or dont bother caring about the sport. In either case your kid is screwed if this is the case. Safe sport is such a joke its not even funny any more. Every needs some sort of certification to replace common sense and and attention. its a sad day when you have to rely on these things to think your coaches are good.

Is the EHF going to enforce this???

Anon

Never.

anon
Anon
Never.

putting aside what, if any, value is in the certification, this will change once a concussed player during a game is allowed to continue to play then has an serious outcome (see real sports for youth football injuries this month). a jury will take a dim view of a coach, organization and league that knowing ignored BASIC and minimum educational requirements that USA hockey requires.

fine, most of these persons will have little in recoverable assets BUT then the insurance carrier for USA hockey will 'truly' put their foot down, which in turn will require USA to become vigilant: that would include expelling (blackballing)coaches for failing to comply.

then again USA hockey is not being serious by allowing 'new' coaches until 12/31 to take these courses. regrettably until a serious preventable injury occurs, non-compliant coaches will continue.

My neighbor coached a town hockey team for years and he attended these weekend seminars to keep getting to the next level of 'patches.' Let me tell you, he's a great guy, always helpful, kind and a good friend but he does not know the first thing about hockey or coaching any sport let alone hockey.

Most 'hockey guys' chuckle at the concept that somehow spending a weekend sitting in a room surrounded by other hockey dads and how it could possibly make you a viable hockey coach. Let's be real, it is an effort but it will always fall short of being meaningful. Anyone who stands up and demands that the dad behind the bench should go out of his way to sit around some weekend with other hockey dads is totally lost.

I don't think the OP was saying it was useful or meaningful (it's a waste and a money grab), just required for insurance purposes. Despite being a bit of a DB, I think the point is that if a kid is seriously injured and the coach is not certified, there might be an issue with your USA Hockey insurance. I have no idea if this is true or not but potentially a valid concern. I can say with first hand experience, when my son was hurt our health insurance company went after USA Hockey for reimbursement for the xrays, MRI, doctors visits, etc. I have no idea what the outcome would have been if the coaches, ref's, etc. weren't certified.

The bottom line is it's a requirement - so do it.

If getting certified to be a coach is too much of a hassle - then don't coach - just bring your kid to the rink and enjoy the game. Being a coach has a few responsibilities, certification is one - its not difficult, but if you're too lazy to do it - don't coach.

And, if you're not going to do it as a coach, you shouldn't have any grounds to ask me to register my player with USA hockey either - since it's such a waste of time - why should I have to spend the $40 for that if you won't?

Same logic.

anon
I don't think the OP was saying it was useful or meaningful (it's a waste and a money grab), just required for insurance purposes. Despite being a bit of a DB, I think the point is that if a kid is seriously injured and the coach is not certified, there might be an issue with your USA Hockey insurance. I have no idea if this is true or not but potentially a valid concern. I can say with first hand experience, when my son was hurt our health insurance company went after USA Hockey for reimbursement for the xrays, MRI, doctors visits, etc. I have no idea what the outcome would have been if the coaches, ref's, etc. weren't certified.

Pretty sure it would be a non-factor. Coach could be a dad half in the bag or an ex-NHL insurance company executive and it would be a stretch for even the biggest ambulance chaser to draw the line between an on ice incident and how many seminars or afternoon chat-fests the coach has been to.

anon
My neighbor coached a town hockey team for years and he attended these weekend seminars to keep getting to the next level of 'patches.' Let me tell you, he's a great guy, always helpful, kind and a good friend but he does not know the first thing about hockey or coaching any sport let alone hockey.

Most 'hockey guys' chuckle at the concept that somehow spending a weekend sitting in a room surrounded by other hockey dads and how it could possibly make you a viable hockey coach. Let's be real, it is an effort but it will always fall short of being meaningful. Anyone who stands up and demands that the dad behind the bench should go out of his way to sit around some weekend with other hockey dads is totally lost.

Your players insurance has Zero to do with the coach. if your kid gets hurt during a game he is covered.if the coaches are not covered then team and organization can be held liable and be required to pay usa hockey back for the payments but in the end your player is covered if he has a number.

Anon
anon
Anon

o please follow the rules? Restrictions made up so USA Hockey can milk more people for cash. Anyone who doesnt know the information being taught in these level classes are either idiots or dont bother caring about the sport. In either case your kid is screwed if this is the case. Safe sport is such a joke its not even funny any more. Every needs some sort of certification to replace common sense and and attention. its a sad day when you have to rely on these things to think your coaches are good.

another lazy cheap coach....

The $40 player registration money is your insurance.

Anon
The $40 player registration money is your insurance.

I already have insurance - this is supplemental, and won't kick in if the coach isn't certified anyway.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon

great comeback loser. Enjoy watching your kid get cut by the "lazy and Cheap " coaches.

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon

great comeback loser. Enjoy watching your kid get cut by the "lazy and Cheap " coaches.

You're projecting - loser.

My kids coaches coaches are all certified. What that tells me is they are stand up and do what is asked

Anon
My kids coaches coaches are all certified. What that tells me is they are stand up and do what is asked

Exactly - well stated and 100% accurate.

anon
Anon

Exactly - well stated and 100% accurate.

the worst part is most organizations pay for the level certifications so to not do it is absurd.

ost coaches coach so their kid can play at that level

anon
ost coaches coach so their kid can play at that level

Yep, "most" coaches & especially asst coaches coach because if Daddy wasn't there their kids would be riding the pine most of the time.

Wow. Shocked to com eon here today and not read any new posts about all of teh coaches that were let go due to expired certificates !!! Told ya !

Anon
Wow. Shocked to com eon here today and not read any new posts about all of teh coaches that were let go due to expired certificates !!! Told ya !

How's it feel to be a loser?

anon
Anon

How's it feel to be a loser?

Would not know to be honest, never experienced it

Anon

Another loser coach or assistant celebrating mediocrity, your kid wouldn't play a shift if you weren't on the bench, so enjoy while you can, I'm sure most people on the team can't stand you.

Not even close. and trust me; my level 5 cert doesn't make me a better coach than when I didn't have it !

Anon
Not even close. and trust me; my level 5 cert doesn't make me a better coach than when I didn't have it !

Oh, it more than close, trust me. You can never get better when you already know everything, I'm sure.

anon
Anon

Oh, it more than close, trust me. You can never get better when you already know everything, I'm sure.
Second person you've made that short-sighted comment to, Patch Boy. Just because the cert courses are redundant doesn't mean every coach knows everything.

Want to know where good coaches go to become better coaches? They go to practices at the next level up. I know a Prep coach, they watch and chart Bruins practices. HS coaches can learn from prep/college coaches, U14 from U16/U18 T1EHL, etc.

NOT in a HS auditorium with all the cronies marching around in the team jackets sipping on a Dunk.

Anon
anon
Anon

Second person you've made that short-sighted comment to, Patch Boy. Just because the cert courses are redundant doesn't mean every coach knows everything.

Want to know where good coaches go to become better coaches? They go to practices at the next level up. I know a Prep coach, they watch and chart Bruins practices. HS coaches can learn from prep/college coaches, U14 from U16/U18 T1EHL, etc.

NOT in a HS auditorium with all the cronies marching around in the team jackets sipping on a Dunk.

Yes, good coaches.....just not enough of them, that is the point.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon

i am being honest , not projecting. My kids are not getting cut.

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon

i am being honest , not projecting. My kids are not getting cut.

No kidding why would you cut your own kids? - Thanks Coach.

Show me a coach that follows all the USA Hockey off ice and on ice requirements and I'll show you a Town B coach.

No direct correlation between coaching ability and bureaucracy. And if I ever have to rely upon USA Hockey insurance I'm an awful father and provider.

BTW, I'm patched to Level 3...and learned zero. So spare me the "lazy" BS.

Anon
Show me a coach that follows all the USA Hockey off ice and on ice requirements and I'll show you a Town B coach.

No direct correlation between coaching ability and bureaucracy. And if I ever have to rely upon USA Hockey insurance I'm an awful father and provider.

You don't necessarily have to "follow" every aspect of the requirements - but you "may" learn something from them (assuming your ego isn't so big that you actually think you know everything already) - which, in your case already seems to be a stretch.

Save me the BS "Town B" coach argument too, its a fairly simple thing to do and and shows at least a baseline commitment to coaching. If that's too much for you - then get off the bench and watch the games like everyone else - because you are lazy if you can't make such a simple commitment - that's a fact.

Unless you're coaching just to protect your own kid.....

anon
Anon

You don't necessarily have to "follow" every aspect of the requirements - but you "may" learn something from them (assuming your ego isn't so big that you actually think you know everything already) - which, in your case already seems to be a stretch.

Save me the BS "Town B" coach argument too, its a fairly simple thing to do and and shows at least a baseline commitment to coaching. If that's too much for you - then get off the bench and watch the games like everyone else - because you are lazy if you can't make such a simple commitment - that's a fact.

Didn't say I know "everything." Just already knew what they covered in the classes.

How many times are you going to say the same thing? Seems you're too "lazy" to come up with more than one argument, so you have to repeat the same one over...and over...and over...

Bet you fondle your patches under your pillow.

Anon
anon
Anon

Didn't say I know "everything." Just already knew what they covered in the classes.

How many times are you going to say the same thing? Seems you're too "lazy" to come up with more than one argument, so you have to repeat the same one over...and over...and over...

umm.. They dont give out patches anymore so obviously you guys have not been to the classes in the last 6 years. We know you are not up to date on your classes.

Lots and Lots of team jackets, hats and sweatshirts being worn at those classes that's for sure !!!

I compare the certification to having a fishing license. Someone took the time to go down and pay the money and register for a fishing licence. It's good to have, it might be required, the fees go to a good cause, there's some reassurance to have it on you incase the Environmental Police ask you for it...but having it makes you no better of a fishermen, can't show you how to fish or what equipment to use, where to fish, which fish are better eating.

And those who have a fishing licence never seem to stand up and expouse the virtues of having it and how it enhances their knowledge of fishing.

anon
I compare the certification to having a fishing license. Someone took the time to go down and pay the money and register for a fishing licence. It's good to have, it might be required, the fees go to a good cause, there's some reassurance to have it on you incase the Environmental Police ask you for it...but having it makes you no better of a fishermen, can't show you how to fish or what equipment to use, where to fish, which fish are better eating.

And those who have a fishing licence never seem to stand up and expouse the virtues of having it and how it enhances their knowledge of fishing.

Somehow that makes perfect sense. Great analogy.

Anon
anon

Somehow that makes perfect sense. Great analogy.

It seems like the town hockey dads all think it's some exchange of real coaching knowledge and it's valuable.

anon
Anon

umm.. They dont give out patches anymore so obviously you guys have not been to the classes in the last 6 years. We know you are not up to date on your classes.
It was a metaphor.

Anon
anon
You don't necessarily have to "follow" every aspect of the requirements - but you "may" learn something from them...
then are far better than me. while 90+% either did not apply or was redundant there was that 'bit' you forgot, or the manuals with dozens of suggested drills by age group, or the latest systems that upper coaches are using (i heard from head coaches of UNH, BC and then Bruins coach Mike Sullivan) forget all that --- you understand that concussion and cpr protocols have changed in the past 10 years.

how can you expect your players to give a good effort in practice but then refuse to do 'the minimum' in education. i guess you NEVER repeat a drill in ANY practice. why should you the players 'know it already'.

a lot of coaches with cert think thay know everything and can do no wrong coaches coach the way they want to take it or leave it attitude

Again, its a minimal requirement - if it's too much for you, then get and stay off the bench.

Or as some of you would say it's a good "life lesson". Hypocrites.

level 3 certification. first two hours was listening to a guy draw a practice plan on the whiteboard. Same **** but not as good as the modules. total waste of time.

anon
level 3 certification. first two hours was listening to a guy draw a practice plan on the whiteboard. Same **** but not as good as the modules. total waste of time.

Wait til your level 4. That is just a two day $250 Level 1 !

Anon
anon

Wait til your level 4. That is just a two day $250 Level 1 !
You are clearly both missing the point. Just like backwards crossovers, it is critical that all coaches hear the same drivel over and over again, so that when they really excel as Town C leaders they can ultimately teach the classes and repeat the same drivel.

It is your duty! If you don't like it, leave your duty on the bench!

The problem is there are to many daddy coaches who have no fcking idea what they are doing. USA Hockey needs to step in and help these morons!

Anon
The problem is there are to many daddy coaches who have no fcking idea what they are doing. USA Hockey needs to step in and help these morons!

So is your kids coach a moron?

Anon

what does this say about you who wont even step up and Coach. You must be a special kind of stupid if you're letting your kid play for these people you hold in such high esteem.

The people complaining that certification is a "waste of time" or "the same old thing" are just as guilty as the players who complain about practice and skills being "boring" and "the same old thing all the time"

...and the PLAYERS are actually probably right, since the whiny so-called coaches run the same drills all the time because they really have no workable and new knowledge on what else to do.

Again - the certification is a minimal about of effort and time asked in order to coach some kids - if you simply refuse to, can't, or think you're too smart to do it, then GET OFF THE BENCH - trust me, someone else will be happy to do it - the team will survive without you.

Maybe spend an afternoon watching BU practice, or the Bruins or a good junior team and watch a couple videos online or spend $50 and buy a stack of Canadian coaching DVD's. I've seen the town hockey 'coaches' that have more patches than they can count and there is no magic to it.

The certification is a participation trophy, no question about it. It in itself is a waste of time. The effort each coach puts into the job is a different story but you're not going to learn to coach from the seminar. I'd say MOST of the "Daddy coaches" you all refer to in the EHF and E9 all have some pretty good credentials. I don't see a single program reach out and pay coaches to coach, so what you're left with are volunteer dads who i'd say do a pretty **** good job.

Anon
T I don't see a single program reach out and pay coaches to coach

What ??? you are kidding right ?

and more importantly, So how many teams didnt have a coach on the ice this week, because their program cut them loose for an expired cert ????

Anon
The certification is a participation trophy, no question about it. It in itself is a waste of time. The effort each coach puts into the job is a different story but you're not going to learn to coach from the seminar. I'd say MOST of the "Daddy coaches" you all refer to in the EHF and E9 all have some pretty good credentials. I don't see a single program reach out and pay coaches to coach, so what you're left with are volunteer dads who i'd say do a pretty **** good job.

Thanks Mr. Asst Coach!

anon
The people complaining that certification is a "waste of time" or "the same old thing" are just as guilty as the players who complain about practice and skills being "boring" and "the same old thing all the time"

...and the PLAYERS are actually probably right, since the whiny so-called coaches run the same drills all the time because they really have no workable and new knowledge on what else to do.

Again - the certification is a minimal about of effort and time asked in order to coach some kids - if you simply refuse to, can't, or think you're too smart to do it, then GET OFF THE BENCH - trust me, someone else will be happy to do it - the team will survive without you.

then sign up know it all. Im sure you have the creativity and knowledge to jump in right away and take your benders team to the top. Get out there and show everyone your stuff!