email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: E9

Anon
Shouldn't the wizards go through parity also---pretty weak across the board.

Not sure how this makes sense if you look at the standings...03,04 and 07 solid. 06 and 05 team look weak but that's it. Imagine if the 05 team hadn't moved to the Rangers

But wait E9! The Walpole Express will be there next season too

Bwaaaahaaa Express can't even beat valley league teams, They have maybe 3 good teams, from 18U down. wait.....unless E9 is that bad. Does this mean it true T.L. is moving slowly away from this league to focus on Attleboro etc.

ANON
Bwaaaahaaa Express can't even beat valley league teams, They have maybe 3 good teams, from 18U down. wait.....unless E9 is that bad. Does this mean it true T.L. is moving slowly away from this league to focus on Attleboro etc.
Express isn't an E9 team, they'll be parity rounds to be placed somewhere probably BHL. Sorry to throw some facts out there.

Spot on in the 04 E9. Didn't the Patriots beat BA to win title? Lovell Knights beat Boch 7-0? Glades beat Boch too. Rangers are something like 0-29. How is that fun for the kids. They can't be an automatic bid next year right?

The E9 should give automatic bids to 4 semifinalist teams from previous year, and then everyone else should play in. Look at 06 year.

Advantage 22-2-4
Patriots 20-6-3
Warriors 20-6-2
Seacoast 14-12-4
Rifles 15-13-3 (Played In)
Glades 11-15-4 (Played In)
Knights 8-16-2 (Played In)
Wizards 4-23-2
Rangers 2-23-2

BHL American
Cyclones 18-1-2
Jr. Sharks 16-6-3

While the Cyclones, and to a lesser extent the Sharks are beating up on everyone in BHL, you have crap teams like the Rangers and Wizards who 90% of the time cannot compete. Would truly be an Elite 9 if we got rid of the automatic bids and allowed 5 teams to play in rather then just the 3. By keeping the semifinalists, your rewarding the good teams while also retaining some continuity. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Thanks Cyclone Dad. If you look at the scores neither the Rangers nor Wizards are getting routinely blown out. Losing yes, routed? Not usually.

07 birth year is even worse. There are some 'founding members' so bad they elected to play in the BHL. NH Avalanche, Jr Rangers were unable to field teams at this level.

Advantage  25  0  0
 Wizards  17  5  4
 Patriots  14  7  4 played in
 Lovell Knights  7  14  4 played in
 Seacoast  7  16  4
 RI Saints  6  12  6 played in
 Rifles   5  15  6 played in
 Warriors  4  16  6

Patriots no longer have to play in - makes sense as they have good teams especially at younger levels. And the 04 team is also a good team that had bad luck in parity round.

anon
Patriots no longer have to play in - makes sense as they have good teams especially at younger levels. And the 04 team is also a good team that had bad luck in parity round.

06/07 posters: forget records, look at ranking to help evaluate how closely the teams are likely to be if they played in the same division.

For 04, the data are clear, the parity round screwed the division:

E9 2004
New Hampshire Avalanche (Elite) 04 AA---93.56
East Coast Wizards (Elite) 04 AAA-------93.25
Boston Advantage (Elite) 04 AAA---------92.30
Springfield Rifles 04 AAA---------------91.78
Seacoast Spartans (Elite) 04 AAA--------91.64
Valley Jr Warriors (Elite) 04 AAA-------90.68
Valley Jr Warriors (Selects) 04 AAA-----89.28
Boch Blazers (Elite) 04 AAA-------------89.16
Boston Junior Rangers (Elite) 04 AAA----86.31

BHL American 2004
Assabet Valley Patriots (Elite) 04 AAA--92.91
Green Mountain Glades 04 AAA------------92.19
Lovell Knights (Elite) 04 AAA-----------91.28
95 Giants 04 AAA------------------------90.19
Greater Boston Jr Bruins 04 AAA---------89.69
Middlesex Advantage Ice (Elite) 04 AAA--88.95
Northern Cyclones (Elite) 04 AAA--------88.42

Top 3 BHL American should clearly be switched with bottom 3 E9 to improve the quality of the upper division.

Two of those bottom three are play-in teams. BJR is another story, total disarray. They should have taken the lead of the Seacoast 04 team who bowed out for a few years and now re-entered the upper division in 2016-17 and has a pretty solid team. I don't know how it happened, but that coach/organization deserves credit for taking that approach. Seems to have worked out for the kids.

anon
anon

06/07 posters: forget records, look at ranking to help evaluate how closely the teams are likely to be if they played in the same division.

For 04, the data are clear, the parity round screwed the division:

E9 2004
New Hampshire Avalanche (Elite) 04 AAA 93.56
East Coast Wizards (Elite) 04 AAA 93.25
Boston Advantage (Elite) 04 AAA 92.30
Springfield Rifles 04 AAA 91.78
Seacoast Spartans (Elite) 04 AAA 91.64
Valley Jr Warriors (Elite) 04 AAA 90.68
Valley Jr Warriors (Selects) 04 AAA 89.28
Boch Blazers (Elite) 04 AAA 89.16
Boston Junior Rangers (Elite) 04 AAA 86.31

BHL American 2004
Assabet Valley Patriots (Elite) 04 AAA 92.91
Green Mountain Glades 04 AAA 92.19
Lovell Knights (Elite) 04 AAA 91.28
95 Giants 04 AAA 90.19
Greater Boston Jr Bruins 04 AAA 89.69
Middlesex Advantage Ice (Elite) 04 AAA 88.95
Northern Cyclones (Elite) 04 AAA 88.42

Top 3 BHL American should clearly be switched with bottom 3 E9 to improve the quality of the upper division.

Two of those bottom three are play-in teams. BJR is another story, total disarray. They should have taken the lead of the Seacoast 04 team who bowed out for a few years and now re-entered the upper division in 2016-17 and has a pretty solid team. I don't know how it happened, but that coach/organization deserves credit for taking that approach. Seems to have worked out for the kids.
There was a lot of discussion earlier in this thread about how the E9 is structured and whether it is flawed or not. Your post here indicates pretty clearly that the structure itself COULD work, if there was flexibility to move teams up and down in-season (unlikely anyone would go for that). Otherwise, as constituted the way the E9 constructs its divisions doesn't really work. Parity games over a weekend (or two) doesn't eliminate disparities and, unlike what another poster said, the teams that make it through don't necessarily "deserve" to be in the E9.

anon
Patriots are very strong at the younger levels; the problem arises when they get cherry-picked by EHF teams. Maybe with the automatic E9 berth that problem will be reduced but probably not completely eliminated.

Here is 06:

E9 2006
Valley Jr Warriors (Elite) 06 AAA-------94.11
Boston Advantage (Elite) 06 AAA---------94.11
Assabet Valley Patriots (Elite) 06 AAA--93.50
Seacoast Spartans (Elite) 06 AAA--------92.37
Springfield Rifles (E9HL) 06 AAA--------92.24
Green Mountain Glades 06 AAA------------91.69
Lovell Knights (Elite) 06 AAA-----------91.46
Boston Junior Rangers 06 AAA------------89.72
East Coast Wizards (Elite) 06 AAA-------89.51

BHL American 2006
Northern Cyclones 06 AAA----------------90.81
Worcester Jr Sharks 06 AAA--------------90.52
Greater Boston Jr Bruins 06 AAA---------89.05
Boston Advantage (Selects) 06 AAA-------89.02
Boch Blazers 06 AAA---------------------88.32
Rhode Island Saints 06 AAA--------------88.25
Valley Jr Warriors (Selects) 06 AAA-----87.25
Middlesex Advantage Ice 06 AAA----------86.29

Not as flagrant as 2004.

anon
Here is 06:

E9 2006
Valley Jr Warriors (Elite) 06 AAA-------94.11
Boston Advantage (Elite) 06 AAA---------94.11
Assabet Valley Patriots (Elite) 06 AAA--93.50
Seacoast Spartans (Elite) 06 AAA--------92.37
Springfield Rifles (E9HL) 06 AAA--------92.24
Green Mountain Glades 06 AAA------------91.69
Lovell Knights (Elite) 06 AAA-----------91.46
Boston Junior Rangers 06 AAA------------89.72
East Coast Wizards (Elite) 06 AAA-------89.51

BHL American 2006
Northern Cyclones 06 AAA----------------90.81
Worcester Jr Sharks 06 AAA--------------90.52
Greater Boston Jr Bruins 06 AAA---------89.05
Boston Advantage (Selects) 06 AAA-------89.02
Boch Blazers 06 AAA---------------------88.32
Rhode Island Saints 06 AAA--------------88.25
Valley Jr Warriors (Selects) 06 AAA-----87.25
Middlesex Advantage Ice 06 AAA----------86.29

Not as flagrant as 2004.
Restructure the E9 with the 10 best organizations you can find, and construct it that way. From the group that competes in the parity rounds, you can find three or four to join VJW, Patriots, BA and the others to further solidify what's already a pretty good league (only E9 and EHF have Tier 1 designations for youth hockey in New England); that's a pretty good base to work from. I also agree with previous poster's comments about playoffs. Make that weekend a better event. Of all the things that parents/leagues do to screw things up for kids, that's the one easy fix - the kids really enjoy competing in a playoff environment - make it as fun of an event as possible for them.

I think if you offer more play-in opportunities you start to gain on the EHF, who is stuck with the 10 founding organizations and unable to trade out the dogs for better teams. A league made up of the 10 best E9/BHL teams (varying by age group), constructed from parity play, would be a better top-to-bottom league than EHF Elite, even though it would lack the strength of the top 2-3 EHF teams that attract the top talent from the area.

anon
I think if you offer more play-in opportunities you start to gain on the EHF, who is stuck with the 10 founding organizations and unable to trade out the dogs for better teams. A league made up of the 10 best E9/BHL teams (varying by age group), constructed from parity play, would be a better top-to-bottom league than EHF Elite, even though it would lack the strength of the top 2-3 EHF teams that attract the top talent from the area.
There could be parity followed by a short fall season with a redistribution say around the end of October where struggling teams get moved down and stronger teams get moved up. I know there is something like that in Girls hockey.

Anon
anon
There could be parity followed by a short fall season with a redistribution say around the end of October where struggling teams get moved down and stronger teams get moved up. I know there is something like that in Girls hockey.

How about just some common sense? In the 04 example Patriots and Glades both had winning records in 15/16 and neither lost significant players. They should have been in for 16/17 regardless of any parity play-in. A team like the Rangers with 1 win in 15/16 should be not automatically in E9 for 16/17.

1 win in 2 seasons isn't good for anyone.

The E9 can't get out of its own way with how they have things set up. Let's hope they fix it moving forward.

Anon
Anon
anon

How about just some common sense? In the 04 example Patriots and Glades both had winning records in 15/16 and neither lost significant players. They should have been in for 16/17 regardless of any parity play-in. A team like the Rangers with 1 win in 15/16 should be not automatically in E9 for 16/17.

The E9 can't get out of its own way with how they have things set up. Let's hope they fix it moving forward.

This is the dumbest thing i heard on here this week. So the Breakers, Bandits, top gun and falcons , maybe Caps, arent a drain on the EHF either? there is a total of 4 teams from squirts to bantams that have a 500 record. across all of these organizations. why dont they get dropped from the "Elite" level since they are bad year after year. At least the E9 does move teams around to try and keep its levels competitive. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt but dont act like the EHF model is so much better when they have the exact same problem.

Anon
Anon
Anon
anon

This is the dumbest thing i heard on here this week. So the Breakers, Bandits, top gun and falcons , maybe Caps, arent a drain on the EHF either? there is a total of 4 teams from squirts to bantams that have a 500 record. across all of these organizations. why dont they get dropped from the "Elite" level since they are bad year after year. At least the E9 does move teams around to try and keep its levels competitive. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt but dont act like the EHF model is so much better when they have the exact same problem.
The EHF model IS better. What is saving the dogs in the EHF is the fact that the top few teams draw all the ultra high-end talent, so the league as a whole lives under that halo effect. What SHOULD be happening there is the bottom teams should be motivated to improve so they can compete in the league. But, since they know they can't compete with the top teams, there is no incentive since they're in no matter what. Add to that the fact that the EHF hides behind it's "no playing other leagues" rule, which I find ridiculous, and the bottom teams avoid being exposed. All that being said, the E9 definitely has areas to improve, it has all the pieces to be a much better league and it's good already.

Rangers are out of E9? Is this right? Tier I EHF a better option than BHL. Higher level of hockey.

Anon
Rangers are out of E9? Is this right? Tier I EHF a better option than BHL. Higher level of hockey.

NO no one is out of the E9 they just reduced the play in for parity from 3 teams to 2 teams. No one is getting knocked out. They should be but Owner wont let it happen unless its necessary like the 07 team this year.

Anon
Anon

NO no one is out of the E9 they just reduced the play in for parity from 3 teams to 2 teams. No one is getting knocked out. They should be but Owner wont let it happen unless its necessary like the 07 team this year.
Correct, any E9 team can opt out if they feel they can't compete in a given year.

Anon

Quit drinking the Kool Aid EHF Tier 1 Dad ! This is a common theme that is thrown around here all willy nilly with no basis.

Several BHL teams played Tier 1 Black teams this year and overall it was a lot closer than anyone would have liked.

The Tier 1 White teams are below all of the BHl National Teams with the exception of the bottom few ! Fact !

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon

The EHF model IS better. What is saving the dogs in the EHF is the fact that the top few teams draw all the ultra high-end talent, so the league as a whole lives under that halo effect. What SHOULD be happening there is the bottom teams should be motivated to improve so they can compete in the league. But, since they know they can't compete with the top teams, there is no incentive since they're in no matter what. Add to that the fact that the EHF hides behind it's "no playing other leagues" rule, which I find ridiculous, and the bottom teams avoid being exposed. All that being said, the E9 definitely has areas to improve, it has all the pieces to be a much better league and it's good already.

The EHF model would be more effective if there wasn't a Q bid at the end of the road resulting in excessive player movement in squirts/peewee. If people didn't run around trying to concentrate talent onto one team 3 and 4 years in advance of PW major, the league would be much better off.

anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon

The EHF model would be more effective if there wasn't a Q bid at the end of the road resulting in excessive player movement in squirts/peewee. If people didn't run around trying to concentrate talent onto one team 3 and 4 years in advance of PW major, the league would be much better off.
Can't argue with that. Not sure where the emphasis on player development is here either. Both leagues have their issues, EHF seems concerned with constructing super-teams, not sure what that does for the other 90% of players in a given division.

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon

Can't argue with that. Not sure where the emphasis on player development is here either. EHF seems concerned with constructing super-teams, not sure what that does for the other 90% of players in a given division.

Very focused on developing the best peewee major team around. That can work out well for many kids (and it does), but it also can go the other way. The focus is going to be a little bit different if you're building for age 12. Maybe that's why the bottom falls out of the league at bantam and older.

Walpole Express Teams Accepted Into The Elite 9 And Boston Hockey League

Elite 9 HockeyWalpole, MA - The Walpole Express are excited to announce their acceptance into the Elite 9 (E9) / Boston Hockey League (BHL) for the 2017-2018 season. The E9 / BHL provides high level hockey for the top youth organizations in the area, and are considered one of the best leagues in New England. The Walpole Express will be hosting 2003-2009 Elite level teams.

Boston Hockey LeagueThe Walpole Express are the only USA Model program in New England boasting players ranging from 4 year old Little Engines to 20 year old Junior players. This past season saw 32 Walpole Express Junior players (24 boys and 8 girls) go on to play at the NCAA college level.

The Express are the only program in the area with 9 full-time professional coaches, in addition to our youth team coaches.

To be a part of the program, and participate in what is sure to be another competitive tryout season, register today!

www.elite9hockey.com
www.bostonhockeyleague.com

anon
Walpole Express Teams Accepted Into The Elite 9 And Boston Hockey League

Elite 9 HockeyWalpole, MA - The Walpole Express are excited to announce their acceptance into the Elite 9 (E9) / Boston Hockey League (BHL) for the 2017-2018 season. The E9 / BHL provides high level hockey for the top youth organizations in the area, and are considered one of the best leagues in New England. The Walpole Express will be hosting 2003-2009 Elite level teams.

Boston Hockey LeagueThe Walpole Express are the only USA Model program in New England boasting players ranging from 4 year old Little Engines to 20 year old Junior players. This past season saw 32 Walpole Express Junior players (24 boys and 8 girls) go on to play at the NCAA college level.

The Express are the only program in the area with 9 full-time professional coaches, in addition to our youth team coaches.

To be a part of the program, and participate in what is sure to be another competitive tryout season, register today!

www.elite9hockey.com
www.bostonhockeyleague.com

What is you point ? The CCTA was accepted in too and they don't even exits yet !!! Express will struggle to make it in to BHL National at most levels, and will be basement dwellers there initial season !

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon

Can't argue with that. Not sure where the emphasis on player development is here either. EHF seems concerned with constructing super-teams, not sure what that does for the other 90% of players in a given division.

Very focused on developing the best peewee major team around. That can work out well for many kids (and it does), but it also can go the other way. The focus is going to be a little bit different if you're building for age 12. Maybe that's why the bottom falls out of the league at bantam and older.
You're making a little too much sense. That won't fly around here!

good point

Read all of thread so you don't come off as illiterate
I understand your trying to justify spending all that cash on your lil Jonnie since you had such a stellar year up on Rt.1, if you read the whole thread you clearly would have seen this was response was to previous post Express dad (But wait E9! The Walpole Express will be there next season too)....Oh the BHL much better.

confused
Read all of thread so you don't come off as illiterate
I understand your trying to justify spending all that cash on your lil Jonnie since you had such a stellar year up on Rt.1, if you read the whole thread you clearly would have seen this was response was to previous post Express dad (But wait E9! The Walpole Express will be there next season too)....Oh the BHL much better.
Try to put your thoughts together into a coherent sentence.