Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: development

In theory a two-year contract is great however unfortunately kids change. Some kids lose their desire and or develop at different ages. Physically and mentally.

ANON
Anon
Let's establish a model or definition of what determines "development" for you and then we can give you some more info. If they kids are getting better does that count ?

Personally I like to judge it on how many kids in an organization move up within, so don't look at the elite teams in isolation, so if a program is moving a few kids up from Tier 1 or AAA teams to the Elite team every year at most levels, they are truly developing players !

Couldn't agree more!

Come on people, we've been over this before. Organizations don't develop from within. Every coach at every level in every "Select program" is a free agent that is responsible for making money for the organization. That's it. They're responsible for assuring the program gets full tuition for 13 kids per team. If they take a 14 kid the coaches kid plays for free. If they take a 15th, the two assistants coaches play for half price. The organizations would like a title or two for PR and recruiting purposes, but as long as the money keeps flowing, they're good. Do you're homework, find a good coach who believes wins and losses is secondary, and stay with him.

Anon
ANON
Anon
Let's establish a model or definition of what determines "development" for you and then we can give you some more info. If they kids are getting better does that count ?

Personally I like to judge it on how many kids in an organization move up within, so don't look at the elite teams in isolation, so if a program is moving a few kids up from Tier 1 or AAA teams to the Elite team every year at most levels, they are truly developing players !

Couldn't agree more!

Come on people, we've been over this before. Organizations don't develop from within. Every coach at every level in every "Select program" is a free agent that is responsible for making money for the organization. That's it. They're responsible for assuring the program gets full tuition for 13 kids per team. If they take a 14 kid the coaches kid plays for free. If they take a 15th, the two assistants coaches play for half price. The organizations would like a title or two for PR and recruiting purposes, but as long as the money keeps flowing, they're good. Do you're homework, find a good coach who believes wins and losses is secondary, and stay with him.

That may be your experience, but that's not mine. Good luck with the daddy coach.

ANON
Anon
ANON
Anon

Couldn't agree more!

That may be your experience, but that's not mine. Good luck with the daddy coach.

Spoken like a true Squirt parent. Boy do you have a long way to go! I'm sure Claude Julian is banging on your owners door begging to coach your young phenom now that he's got a little extra time on his hands. Lol, daddy coach! That's a good one. I'm sure all of the scouts are just lining up to get into you're games too! Thanks for my morning laugh! Make sure you wear a scarf around your neck in the stands today so you don't get hoarse from yelling all your instructions to your little fella. After all, the playoffs are right around the corner and you want to be at your best! The team just wouldn't stand a chance with out your constant drone of instruction.

My kids coaches just make sure their kids are on th ice for the last 3 minutes of every game. And we have 4 coaches! Doesn't matter how many penalties or bad plays they make

First off, there is so much involved with developing kids it is unfair to put it all on the shoulders of the organization, and I mean if a kid truly develops it is not all the organization, and if a kid fails to develop that is not their fault either.

I have been at this for a long time, and where I see the kids develop most is outside the organization. The kids who truly enjoy putting the extra work in, the kids shooting pucks or stickhandling at home with thier free time. As they get older, its the kids who are willing to work hard and put in the physical training and off ice, and throughout, the kids who do skills or training away from thier organization in the off season or in addition to organization. Those are the kids that develop. It has a lot more to do with the individual kid than it does the organization.

I am sure everyone has a few kids on their team that could not stickhandle or shoot a puck at the beginning of the season and six months later look exactly the same, then there will be a few kids who started there but are now handling pucks and ripping shots ! those are the kids practicing at home and developing themselves like they should.

Stop looking at the organization to do everything for your kid and instill it them that they are the biggest decider and factor in thier development ! Regardless of what you are paying !

...and I type this as my kid is currently shooting in the basement minutes after walking in the house after two games today !

He may not be or ever be a superstar, but his hard work and dedication has payed off thus far, I owe a lot of it to the organization but I attribute most of it to his personal desire and enjoyment in doing something he loves !

Anon
First off, there is so much involved with developing kids it is unfair to put it all on the shoulders of the organization, and I mean if a kid truly develops it is not all the organization, and if a kid fails to develop that is not their fault either.

I have been at this for a long time, and where I see the kids develop most is outside the organization. The kids who truly enjoy putting the extra work in, the kids shooting pucks or stickhandling at home with thier free time. As they get older, its the kids who are willing to work hard and put in the physical training and off ice, and throughout, the kids who do skills or training away from thier organization in the off season or in addition to organization. Those are the kids that develop. It has a lot more to do with the individual kid than it does the organization.

I am sure everyone has a few kids on their team that could not stickhandle or shoot a puck at the beginning of the season and six months later look exactly the same, then there will be a few kids who started there but are now handling pucks and ripping shots ! those are the kids practicing at home and developing themselves like they should.

Stop looking at the organization to do everything for your kid and instill it them that they are the biggest decider and factor in thier development ! Regardless of what you are paying !

...and I type this as my kid is currently shooting in the basement minutes after walking in the house after two games today !

He may not be or ever be a superstar, but his hard work and dedication has payed off thus far, I owe a lot of it to the organization but I attribute most of it to his personal desire and enjoyment in doing something he loves !

So True! It's the kid who puts the time in when nobody is paying attention.

anon
Anon

So True! It's the kid who puts the time in when nobody is paying attention.

This is true, but you can find coaches that will not waste your practice time and will complement the outside work to develop your son further. But you are right it's natural ability first, work ethic second, then all the rest.

try this: coach is great at developing players. word gets out. parents want in. the potential players are better. now what. we know what...

Anon

"Development" is how many kids stay on a team, and bribing the coach?

Wow. Don't I look foolish. And here I thought it was about kids getting better and coaches getting them ready for the next level.

anon
Anon

"Development" is how many kids stay on a team, and bribing the coach?

Wow. Don't I look foolish. And here I thought it was about kids getting better and coaches getting them ready for the next level.

Beat me to it. If no organizations are developing kids, then how are these kids that take your bender's place getting better?

The thread is confusing development with retainage or good management. Families stay together if there is a good coaching staff at the helm and no nutjob parents. That doesn't necessarily mean that development is taking place, but it may.

Anon
South Shore Kings 2003 Tier 1 and 2003 Boston Junior Eagles Elite have not made a roster change in three or four years. Last year the Eagles did not hold tryouts and announced there would be no roster changes. Class act, not taking peoples $$$

That is funny, I saw 3 former Boston Advantage Kids and one Breaker kid on the Eagle 03 team and heard another BA kid coming full time next year. That sounds like no roster changes in 3 years to me....

Anon
South Shore Kings 2003 Tier 1 and 2003 Boston Junior Eagles Elite have not made a roster change in three or four years. Last year the Eagles did not hold tryouts and announced there would be no roster changes. Class act, not taking peoples $$$

^^This, true and accurate - and the teams get better. This is how a real coach works, not just keeping a player one year and giving up (barring a severe issue).

Usually, boys who play together for 2-4 seasons get progressively better as well.