email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: development

Anon
Let's establish a model or definition of what determines "development" for you and then we can give you some more info. If they kids are getting better does that count ?

Personally I like to judge it on how many kids in an organization move up within, so don't look at the elite teams in isolation, so if a program is moving a few kids up from Tier 1 or AAA teams to the Elite team every year at most levels, they are truly developing players !
"Development" is how many kids stay on a team, and bribing the coach?

Wow. Don't I look foolish. And here I thought it was about kids getting better and coaches getting them ready for the next level.

anon
Anon
Let's establish a model or definition of what determines "development" for you and then we can give you some more info. If they kids are getting better does that count ?

Personally I like to judge it on how many kids in an organization move up within, so don't look at the elite teams in isolation, so if a program is moving a few kids up from Tier 1 or AAA teams to the Elite team every year at most levels, they are truly developing players !
"Development" is how many kids stay on a team, and bribing the coach?

Wow. Don't I look foolish. And here I thought it was about kids getting better and coaches getting them ready for the next level.

Beat me to it. If no organizations are developing kids, then how are these kids that take your bender's place getting better?

The thread is confusing development with retainage or good management. Families stay together if there is a good coaching staff at the helm and no nutjob parents. That doesn't necessarily mean that development is taking place, but it may.

Anon
South Shore Kings 2003 Tier 1 and 2003 Boston Junior Eagles Elite have not made a roster change in three or four years. Last year the Eagles did not hold tryouts and announced there would be no roster changes. Class act, not taking peoples $$$

That is funny, I saw 3 former Boston Advantage Kids and one Breaker kid on the Eagle 03 team and heard another BA kid coming full time next year. That sounds like no roster changes in 3 years to me....

Anon
South Shore Kings 2003 Tier 1 and 2003 Boston Junior Eagles Elite have not made a roster change in three or four years. Last year the Eagles did not hold tryouts and announced there would be no roster changes. Class act, not taking peoples $$$

^^This, true and accurate - and the teams get better. This is how a real coach works, not just keeping a player one year and giving up (barring a severe issue).

Usually, boys who play together for 2-4 seasons get progressively better as well.