The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Want Your Freshman to Make Varsity???

ANON
Very familiar with the prep school circut. 8th grade is still middle or lower school. Can't think of any prep day schools with hockey for 8th grade. Unless your kid is a 16 year old freshman (I've seen it happen)?
Exactly how "familiar" are you? I've seen 8th graders playing varsity in several top prep programs. And not just playing, playing top line/pair.

ANON
Very familiar with the prep school circut. 8th grade is still middle or lower school. Can't think of any prep day schools with hockey for 8th grade. Unless your kid is a 16 year old freshman (I've seen it happen)?
Any reason you'd draw a distinction between day and boarding? But I know quite a few day prep schools that offer 7th / 8th grade hockey. Rivers, St. Seb's, Belmont Hill (very small boarding population, no 7th or 8th), Nobles (doesn't offer boarding to 7th or 8th)...Should I go on?

anon
ANON
Any reason you'd draw a distinction between day and boarding? But I know quite a few day prep schools that offer 7th / 8th grade hockey. Rivers, St. Seb's, Belmont Hill (very small boarding population, no 7th or 8th), Nobles (doesn't offer boarding to 7th or 8th)...Should I go on?

Belmont HIl has 6th-8th as well. They have a 5th , 4th and 3rd team along with JV, and V.

ANON
You make it sound like a 16 year old Freshman is rare. An "on time" Freshman with a birthday in the first half of the year turns 15. So any kid with a Jan - June birthday - as the majority of elite hockey players do - that repeated anywhere along the line, whether it was 1st grade or 9th (very common for boys out of a public HS to be asked to repeat academically), will turn 16.